Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

To be fair, we drafted him to be a Tackle.  He failed miserably there so we moved him to guard.  We can use that in negotiations though. 

I don’t recall him failing miserably at tackle. More like he didn’t get a lot of looks there and was moved to guard straight away. 

Can you fill me in on where/what you heard about him failing miserably at tackle?

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

From what I understood, they knew what they were getting but was hoping he could play RT. They knew what they had in terms of interior lineman and they took a shot. They took a risk but that risk still had a high floor in that worse came to worst he would be an elite guard. 

I'm also pretty sure he never even played a game at RT, regular or preseason for the Redskins. He may have been a solid tackle but, as everyone reported, he was probably better suited inside. 

This is what I recall. Saying he failed miserably at tackle isn’t exactly correct imo. 

4 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I don’t recall him failing miserably at tackle. More like he didn’t get a lot of looks there and was moved to guard straight away. 

Can you fill me in on where/what you heard about him failing miserably at tackle?

This is what I recall. Saying he failed miserably at tackle isn’t exactly correct imo. 

He was atrocious at tackle in camp, just as he was in his last college game. He was moved because we didn’t want JJ Watt to kill him. That’s what happened in real life.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

He was atrocious at tackle in camp, just as he was in his last college game. He was moved because we didn’t want JJ Watt to kill him. That’s what happened in real life.

Ah... the ol' "he was awful at the beginning of camp so there was never a chance he was going to be anything but a massive bust at that position" observation. 

1 hour ago, sempre_victrix said:

I thought they wanted him to play RT, but Moses was not doing well at RG.  They pushed Moses to RT and Scherff to RG.

We'd be stupid to let Scherff go unless he wants obscene money.  We have no one behind him and he has played very well for us.  It's not like this line can afford to lose talent and he's the best player on the current OL.

IIRC they drafted him to play RT but he didn't do well with it in training camp and pre-season so they moved him inside.  My guess.......they knew he would be better suited for guard than RT but since Moses was not good they gave him a shot to see if he could handle it, he couldn't, then moved him to RG.  

I don't want him to go by any means, he's a pro-bowl guard.  I don't want TW to go anywhere either, but he's acting like a ****, so I'd be fine with trading him for a 1st rounder and just rebuilding the O-line in the first round next draft (with 2 first round picks) and resigning Scherff to a reasonable contract that he deserves....or franchise tagging him if we have to. 

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

All I found about 2015 and Scherff v Watt was a tweet saying Scherff was 2-0 against Watt, holding his own. I found nothing about moving him because we didn’t want him killed. Quite the opposite. What I saw was that Callahan liked him and Moses on the right. He liked Moses t RT because of better reach/length iirc. 

Where do I find the truth according to you?

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

All I found about 2015 and Scherff v Watt was a tweet saying Scherff was 2-0 against Watt, holding his own. I found nothing about moving him because we didn’t want him killed. Quite the opposite. What I saw was that Callahan liked him and Moses on the right. 

Where do I find the truth according to you?

You goofy internet folks are a trip.

Just now, volsmet said:

You goofy internet folks are a trip.

Nothing. That’s what I thought. 

This is is the kind of **** that makes ME crazy. I realize you don’t like him but come on man.  I’m asking a simple question because that’s not how I remember it at all and on trying to corroborate your story I’m not finding jack ****. 

So help me out instead of being dismissive ok?

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Nothing. That’s what I thought. 

This is is the kind of **** that makes ME crazy. I realize you don’t like him but come on man.  I’m asking a simple question because that’s not how I remember it at all and on trying to corroborate your story I’m not finding jack ****. 

So help me out instead of being dismissive ok?

Deep breath ... let the internet bravado go...

giphy.gif

see @TK ... I’m trying to be more gentle. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/brandon-scherff-practices-at-guard-as-washington-shuffles-its-offensive-line-already/2015/08/06/848d2eec-3c78-11e5-b3ac-8a79bc44e5e2_story.html

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/washington-redskins-brandon-scherffs-possible-position-change-points-new-way-business/

I find it interesting how much revisionist history there is going here - not to mention drawing conclusions and best of all still whining about taking him #5. 

So first lets clear up history. 

He played T his last season in college but pretty much anyone who judges draft picks had him as a G at the NFL level. Most agreed someone might take a look at him at T but ultimately he projected to be a beast at G. If you looked at him as a T then he was not one of the better players. However, he was hands down the best G prospect in the draft. He is not only athletic for that position he has that nasty streak you like with an Olineman. 

NY had pretty much telegraphed they were going Oline with their 1st rd pick. So while it would have been nice to trade back from #5 and still get Scherff, you could not go past #9 or the Giants get him. 

The Redskins did briefly line him up at T but then when considering all the pieces moved him to RG. A lot of fans with some media prognostication came up with the JJ Watt thing which may or may not be true (not saying it's not but I don't remember anything specific from the team just some media speculation and fans latching on - but could be true). Mostly what the tam said was Moses found his stride at T so the best fit was Moses at RT and Scherff at RG. 

SInce then: 

Scherff has done all he was asked to do. He made the pro-bowl in 2016 and 2017 and was on his way last yr before the torn pec had him miss 8 gms. So those saying he has just been ok, that is just not true. Sure you can find a play here and there just like any player at any position. But he has been one of the most consistently high performing players on the team. 

Contract: 

Bruce Allen has again ****ed this up. He should have gotten this done before we went into the season; Once you don;t sign him the franchise tag becomes the starting place for negotiations. You would think he would have learned this lesson by now. The other problem with bruce is that if he offered $13M he he is never changing from that. This is one of the main complaints I have with his style. He puts a number out there that looks like a starting spot and he never ****ing changes. 

The good news for those that do not like Scherrf he is most likely gone. But when the quality of play goes down yet again just save it. You asked for it - and over what? A few $M/yr? Bruce is the absolute worst. 

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Our GM drafted him to play tackle. Scherff got killed in practice & was moved  inside before our joint practices with Houston. That’s the only history. It’s not good or bad, it’s just reality.

Several years later a guy named @MassSkinsFan was upset to learn about it all.

I’m with @goskins10 on this. He wasn’t drafted to play tackle.

29 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Neither story backs up your assertions. The Post story says Scherff got beat by Watt once. 

You should read read these things before you post them. 

5 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Neither story backs up your assertions. The Post story says Scherff got beat by Watt once. 

You should read read these things before you post them. 

I never said he got killed by Watt. Have someone read these posts to you, you’re struggling on your own, sport.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The way I remember it was he could play tackle or guard, but he projected more to a guard in the NFL.

He was drafted to play tackle, but could play guard, obviously. Scot Mccloughan was in love with Spencer Long... nobody loved anyone more than Scot loved Spencer. That was our rg of the future to our GM when he drafted Scherff.

11 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I’m with @goskins10 on this. He wasn’t drafted to play tackle.

I think he was with the notion that if it didn't work out, they would move him to the inside.  But the first hope was he would play tackle opposite TW.

Found this:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-felt-brandon-scherff-was-best-available-will-play-him-at-right-tackle/2015/04/30/69c86e62-ef86-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think he was with the notion that if it didn't work out, they would move him to the inside.  But the first hope was he would play tackle opposite TW.

Found this:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-felt-brandon-scherff-was-best-available-will-play-him-at-right-tackle/2015/04/30/69c86e62-ef86-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

Yes, they planned to try him at T but they and everyone else knew he was a better fit at G. If they really expected him to be the RT they would not have moved him over so quickly.

but no matter.  He has done an excellent job at RG. And Bruce has screwed it up I believe.  

Archived