• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

      Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   
       
      My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  
       
      Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  
       
      Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 
       
      The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  
       
      The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 
       
      1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.
       
      Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  
       
      Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?
       
      2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

      Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

      The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 
       
      3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 
       
      I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

      4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 
       
      Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 
       
      TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 
       
      The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 
       
      End of Game.
       
      Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:
       
      1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.
       
      Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

       
       

       
       
       
       
       
Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

 

He is a good player. But he is a holding penalty waiting to happen. He needs to clean up his game quite a bit. Plus he has already lost the better part of a season to injury. Not saying the guy is injury prone like Trent is. But you add up a season ender and the holding calls and he isnt a 14 Mill per year guard IMO. 

 

Kind of interesting  take there. 

 

2015 - 3 penalties - 2 holding - 1 false start

2016 - He has a rough year - 8 Penalties - 5 hoiding and 3 false starts - 

2017 he had 1 penalty accepted - Unnecessary Roughness   - 1 declined - Ineligible Downfield Receiver

2018 He had 2 penalties before he got hurt and yes they were holding 

He had 2 against dallas  and that's it so far. 

 

So in 56 games played he has a total of 11 holding - 5 of which were in 1 season that was 4 seasons ago. Seems like saying he is a holding penalty waiting to happen is more an over rection from one recent game.   

 

All this completely ignores the kind of person he is in terms of a lock room leader. A guy that understand football culture. You can see it whenever he talks to the media. I see those insider videos with him. So yes he is easily worth $14M/yr. 

 

Not directly at you just continuing from here: 

Bruce needs to stop being a punk ass and sign the guy. It's more evidence that he and dan do not understand the importance of football culture. He is a moron.  Likely to either let him walk or send us down the franchise tag route. Absolutely ignorant as hell. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent and Sherff are the only two guys that can bring significant return.I am in the camp that we need to go all in on the rebuild. If we can land a first and change for each one of them we need to do it. Norman and Reed have to go as well if we can get some thing for them great if not cut them.Kerrigan I love but we should do him a solid and get him to a contender he deserves it. By trading Trent Kerrigan and Sherff and cutting Norman and Reed we would be loaded with draft picks and an extra 45 million in cap space between these moves in the offseason. To me this a no brainer but we got Bruce running the show so all these guys will be back next year we will have no cap space and one pick in the first two rounds.Also I wouldn't mind seeing AP, Moses and P Richie getting traded or cut as well saving close to 10 million in cap space for 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

 

He is a good player. But he is a holding penalty waiting to happen. 

 

Since when?  That's purely about angst about last Sunday's 2 calls.  Otherwise that doesn't reflect his career, not even close.    

 

Last year he had 2 holding calls for the whole season.   The season before that zero holds.  He also has 0 false starts last year, 0 the season before that and 0 the season before that one.

 

You are picking on the wrong O lineman as for penalties, Scherff if anything is one of the least penalized lineman in the league.  Last year he had 2 penalties for the whole season.  Moses had 13.   Moses has been the penalty machine. 

 

Moses is durable but other than that you can argue the dude is at best just slightly above average in his career and this far this season, he has been below average.  We dump Trent and Scherff and then have Moses as the veteran stalwart then we are talking potentially about us having our own version of the 2016-2017 Giant O line where we become a punch line on that front.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Bruce needs to stop being a punk ass and sign the guy. It's more evidence that he and dan do not understand the importance of football culture. He is a moron.  Likely to either let him walk or send us down the franchise tag route. Absolutely ignorant as hell. 

There is always the possibility he doesn’t want to sign a deal here either.  When he spoke publicly about it before the season, he said all the right things.  But that’s just what dudes like him do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're gonna push the narrative about Trent and penalties your better off using all penalties because then you actually have some facts to back up your statement.

 

He was tied for 6th (there are multiple O lineman tied at 1st - 5th) in most penalties for an offensive lineman last year and he had another 4 that were declined, in 16 games.

 

 

 

Edited by JSSkinz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

Kind of interesting  take there. 

 

2015 - 3 penalties - 2 holding - 1 false start

2016 - He has a rough year - 8 Penalties - 5 hoiding and 3 false starts - 

2017 he had 1 penalty accepted - Unnecessary Roughness   - 1 declined - Ineligible Downfield Receiver

2018 He had 2 penalties before he got hurt and yes they were holding 

He had 2 against dallas  and that's it so far. 

 

So in 56 games played he has a total of 11 holding - 5 of which were in 1 season that was 4 seasons ago.

4

 

Doesn't that mean, though, that he's had 4 holding penalties in his last 10 games?...That would be a worse rate than 4 seasons ago, and would be recent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

 

Doesn't that mean, though, that he's had 4 holding penalties in his last 10 games?...That would be a worse rate than 4 seasons ago, and would be recent.

 

If I wanted to cherry pick I would have said 4 in 24 games. Not to mention with such small numbers 1 or 2 can skew things, like 2 against Dallas. 

 

Either way way none of this constitutes A holding penalty waiting to happen”.  Which of course was the point.  It also doesn’t change the fact that Bruce is a moron for not getting him signed.  Why?  Over a few $M a yr?  His leadership is worth that.    

Edited by goskins10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rypienskinz said:

I would take Garrett Bolles and Denver’s first in a minute. Try Bolles at RT/G. 

 

https://deadspin.com/john-elway-on-his-struggling-left-tackle-garett-bolles-1838263300

 

It sounds like Elway would love to ship Bolles out.  Quote from article from Elway "Does he know what holding is?"

 

I think Bolles actually fits the description of "a penalty waiting to happen".  I think I read something about Bolles having the worst pff OL grade of all time for his game last week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

Either way way none of this constitutes A holding penalty waiting to happen”.  Which of course was the point.  It also doesn’t change the fact that Bruce is a moron for not getting him signed.  Why?  Over a few $M a yr?  His leadership is worth that.    

 

I agree that he should be signed, even if it ends up requiring top 3 guard money.  In two years, that may look like a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles are at home this week so that pic of Trent + DeSean is most likely in Philly. For whatever that's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

If I wanted to cherry pick I would have said 4 in 34 games. Not to mention with such small numbers 1 or 2 can skew things, like 2 against Dallas.

1

 

You could, yeah...but you'd be wrong lol. He's had 7 holding penalties in the last 34 games. Unless you were doing some industrial strength cherry picking and chose 34 random games over his career. At any rate, that's why I said "recent"...that denotes a timespan, and I defined it as this year and last year. Going back beyond last year didn't seem to fit the definition of "recent" performance...i mean, if he had 5 holding penalties this season in 2 games, would that really be offset by the fact that he had none back in 2017?...Or would 5 in the last two games be enough so that "holding call waiting to happen" is an understandable viewpoint to hold?

 

Plus, I'm not sure saying he had multiple holding calls in one game strengthens or weakens the argument that a player isn't a "holding call waiting to happen" lol--but it's a somewhat vague phrase that is subjective in nature. I personally don't think a holding call once every 2.5 games qualifies (4 over the last 10 games), but I've never bothered thinking about how I'd define it before now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

You could, yeah...but you'd be wrong lol. He's had 7 holding penalties in the last 34 games. Unless you were doing some industrial strength cherry picking and chose 34 random games over his career. At any rate, that's why I said "recent"...that denotes a timespan, and I defined it as this year and last year. Going back beyond last year didn't seem to fit the definition of "recent" performance...i mean, if he had 5 holding penalties this season in 2 games, would that really be offset by the fact that he had none back in 2017?...Or would 5 in the last two games be enough so that "holding call waiting to happen" is an understandable viewpoint to hold?

 

Plus, I'm not sure saying he had multiple holding calls in one game strengthens or weakens the argument that a player isn't a "holding call waiting to happen" lol--but it's a somewhat vague phrase that is subjective in nature. I personally don't think a holding call once every 2.5 games qualifies (4 over the last 10 games), but I've never bothered thinking about how I'd define it before now.

 

I meant 24 not 34  Been in a plane and airports for the last 24+ hrs so I hit a wrong number.   For 24 what I said is correct. That to me is pretty recent. last 2 seasons.    He had 2 this yr in one gm that was a ****ing disaster for the entire team. and coming back from injury.

 

No matter how anyone wants to cut it, even 4 in the last 10, does not qualify in my mind to "a holding call waiting to happen". More importantly, there is no way that is something that should keep the team from resigning him. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

If you're gonna push the narrative about Trent and penalties your better off using all penalties because then you actually have some facts to back up your statement.

 

He was tied for 6th (there are multiple O lineman tied at 1st - 5th) in most penalties for an offensive lineman last year and he had another 4 that were declined, in 16 games.

 

 

 

tenor.gif

 Sick of Bruce. Sick of Trent.  I don't care where Trent is if he isn't at Ashburn Park. All he needs to do is stay healthy and off the weed until he is traded.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

If you're gonna push the narrative about Trent and penalties your better off using all penalties because then you actually have some facts to back up your statement.

 

He was tied for 6th (there are multiple O lineman tied at 1st - 5th) in most penalties for an offensive lineman last year and he had another 4 that were declined, in 16 games.

 

 

Edit

 

 

Can you share where your data comes from? I have him at tied for 19th with 8 accepted penalties - I do have 4 declined. Still kind of high but not 6th. Our Morgan Moses led the league with 14. Here is what I have. It's all Oline - no other position.    Here is the source - https://www.nflpenalties.com/position/offensive-line?year=2018&view=players

 

If he was 6th highest including declined I can see that. But you said 6th and then said "another 4 declined" implying he was 6th in accepted penalties. Just curious if i am missing something. 

 

Maybe you meant he is tied for 6th overall with with 12 but 4 of them were declined? That seems to align. 

 

image.thumb.png.4b07e616efc2c4af426d28b1979d3cd0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this thread is going off the rails -- Scherff, Trent and Moses = penalty prone scrubs, dump em, blow the O line up and lets build our O line around  Eric Flowers.  😀  Just kidding.   Hyperbole on my end to make a point.    My point is I don't think the O line is talented enough to dump their two best O lineman.   I think we can work our way around losing 1 O lineman but the 2 best?  In that case, it's not like the other three left standing are studs. 

 

Again the Eagles and Cowboys have monster O lines and they've kept their guys.  I don't love the idea of having the worst O line in the division.   Replacing Trent for a young and upcoming LT, I'll take that risk.  But I'd rather not get weaker at RG too, especially with an arguably "meh" RT right besides that spot.  Roullier is far from a pro bowl center.  It would likely be a "meh" O line for a season or two.  And i wouldn't love that for Haskins. 

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

 

Cincy reporter

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

His leadership is worth that.    

 

As is evidenced by?

 

 

3 hours ago, Nerm said:

 

https://deadspin.com/john-elway-on-his-struggling-left-tackle-garett-bolles-1838263300

 

It sounds like Elway would love to ship Bolles out.  Quote from article from Elway "Does he know what holding is?"

 

I think Bolles actually fits the description of "a penalty waiting to happen".  I think I read something about Bolles having the worst pff OL grade of all time for his game last week.  

 

He’s gifted, he’s insane, sign him up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

 

Can you share where your data comes from? I have him at tied for 19th with 8 accepted penalties - I do have 4 declined. Still kind of high but not 6th. Our Morgan Moses led the league with 14. Here is what I have. It's all Oline - no other position.    Here is the source - https://www.nflpenalties.com/position/offensive-line?year=2018&view=players

 

If he was 6th highest including declined I can see that. But you said 6th and then said "another 4 declined" implying he was 6th in accepted penalties. Just curious if i am missing something. 

 

Maybe you meant he is tied for 6th overall with with 12 but 4 of them were declined? That seems to align. 

 

image.thumb.png.4b07e616efc2c4af426d28b1979d3cd0.png

 

Thats exactly the source I used and I sorted by all O lineman to give Trent the benefit of the doubt.

 

If you go by total penalties its 8th or if you go by count per game its 10th.  For example Moses is 1st but then Hart, Davenport, and Erving are all tied with 12 total penalties so they would be 2nd below Moses.  Dawkins, Redmon, and Jenkins would be 3rd with 11 total penalties.

 

This is how I typically see stats done, I really don't know how else you would do them because there are many players who have the same amount of total penalties or count per game. 

 

If you're saying that each player with 12, 11, 10, 9, or 8 penalties in 2018 is a different ranking then I can't agree with that because they were all equal in the number of times they were penalized.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this thread is going off the rails -- Scherff, Trent and Moses = penalty prone scrubs, dump em, blow the O line up and lets build our O line around  Eric Flowers.  😀  Just kidding.   Hyperbole on my end to make a point.    My point is I don't think the O line is talented enough to dump their two best O lineman.   I think we can work our way around losing 1 O lineman but the 2 best?  In that case, it's not like the other three left standing are studs. 

 

Again the Eagles and Cowboys have monster O lines and they've kept their guys.  I don't love the idea of having the worst O line in the division.   Replacing Trent for a young and upcoming LT, I'll take that risk.  But I'd rather not get weaker at RG too, especially with an arguably "meh" RT right besides that spot.  Roullier is far from a pro bowl center.  It would likely be a "meh" O line for a season or two.  And i wouldn't love that for Haskins. 

 

 

 

 

 

If NE would give up a first for Scherff, don’t do it. If NE wouldn’t, but someone else would, do it. Make NE our proxy gm.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

 

If NE would give up a first for Scherff, don’t do it. If NE wouldn’t, but someone else would, do it. Make NE our proxy gm.

 

 

 

I am with you if they can get a first for Scherff but it seems like such a fantasy that its a waste of discussion.  It's tough for me to imagine a guard who won't even be under contract in 2020 and is likely seeking top 5 OG type of money would fetch a first rounder -- but even if I can be sold that he would I seriously doubt they'd trade him.  Trent might be on the trading block but that's because he forced their hand.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

 

Thats exactly the source I used and I sorted by all O lineman to give Trent the benefit of the doubt.

 

If you go by total penalties its 8th or if you go by count per game its 10th.  For example Moses is 1st but then Hart, Davenport, and Erving are all tied with 12 total penalties so they would be 2nd below Moses.  Dawkins, Redmon, and Jenkins would be 3rd with 11 total penalties.

 

This is how I typically see stats done, I really don't know how else you would do them because there are many players who have the same amount of total penalties or count per game. 

 

If you're saying that each player with 12, 11, 10, 9, or 8 penalties in 2018 is a different ranking then I can't agree with that because they were all equal in the number of times they were penalized.

 

 

 

The numbers are the same.  I was trying to understand how you cut them.  I was going by total number.  Not #/gm which is probably better. 

 

More importantly I was Just  making sure sure there were not two sets of competing data. And there are not.  

 

Totally ok for two people to cut the same data differently.  Makes for good conversation.  But competing data is a problem. 

Edited by goskins10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

The numbers are the same.  I was trying to understand how you cut them.  I was going by total number.  Not #/gm which is probably better. 

 

More importantly I was Just  making sure sure there were not two sets of competing data. And there are not.  

 

Totally ok for two people to cut the same differently.  Makes for good conversation.  But competing data is a problem. 

For what it's worth I would quickly bow out of a debate on Trent being a holding machine or a player who constantly commits penalties.  I don't like using 1 year of data when analyzing anything unless it's all I have.  I like 3-5 year chunks so I can look at patterns and the 3-5 year numbers on Trent show that last year was the exception and not the rule.

 

I was just trying to tell the guy who originally posted that statement that he may want to get some better data before debating that topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, if 4 people run a race and one guy runs it in 10 seconds two people run it in 11 seconds and one person runs it in 12 seconds, one guy gets first place two guys get second place and the last guy gets 4th place. and that is how you should look at the statistics above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ghedrick said:

Trent and Sherff are the only two guys that can bring significant return.I am in the camp that we need to go all in on the rebuild. If we can land a first and change for each one of them we need to do it. Norman and Reed have to go as well if we can get some thing for them great if not cut them.Kerrigan I love but we should do him a solid and get him to a contender he deserves it. By trading Trent Kerrigan and Sherff and cutting Norman and Reed we would be loaded with draft picks and an extra 45 million in cap space between these moves in the offseason. To me this a no brainer but we got Bruce running the show so all these guys will be back next year we will have no cap space and one pick in the first two rounds.Also I wouldn't mind seeing AP, Moses and P Richie getting traded or cut as well saving close to 10 million in cap space for 2020.

 

You do know that rebuilding doesn't mean that you have to send off young talent like Sherff. Now I haven't been impressed with his play the 1st 2 games this year, but I'm not ready to move him yet. As for Trent he's getting long in the tooth. So that trade I understand. Trading Sherff would be pretty stupid unless they think they're not going to be able to resign him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.