Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

According to polls, half of Americans want him impeached. Those are record numbers, they haven't been that high for any president and they jumped up %16 from last month alone. Once even more people sway to the impeachment side, the republicans will have to react accordingly. They're not loyal to us or Trump, they're loyal to their own skin, once being "loyal" to Trump is no longer viable...

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the Nixon impeachment hearings themselves and the information learned from those hearings, that  ended up ultimately swaying the American people as initially the majority didn't want Nixon impeached either? It took a couple years to win over public opinion on that. 

The Clinton impeachment is an entirely different situation because while he dug his own grave by lying, the American public viewed his lie/what he lied about to as having absolutely zero to do with any of the investigations or dare I say "witch hunts" that Ken Starr was investigating.  Starr merely lucked into a sensationalist situation he could exploit and force Clinton's hand on.  It is not excusing Clinton lying, he shouldn't have done that, but to compare that to what is going on now is being silly or intellectually dishonest. 

Fast forward to the present, you have Trump and Barr at the behest of Trump, actively obstructing an investigation and then making up pretend reasons why it is perfectly okay to do.  

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think Trump being acquitted by the Senate would be a bad look for Democrats, but here is the thing, if impeachment hearings started, the media would pretty much harp on the fact that the Senate will acquit regardless of what the House does.   Every American knows this regardless of how you feel about Trump.  I actually think the fact that everyone already knows this, means it can't really be seen as a win for Trump that a GOP controlled Senate gives him a pass the way they have for almost 3 straight years now. I think Trump being acquitted by the Senate would be more damaging to the Democrats if it came as a surprise to anyone, like if they were expected to remove him from office and suddenly pulled a 180.  

At this point I don't think impeachment moves the needle one way or the other for Trump or his 2020 prospects.  It is just the right thing to do, and should be done. 

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And that's what I've been wanting.  It would be easier to get a lot of information out through an inquiry.

I would agree...but it's hard to tell especially if Trump does something really distracting or there's some infighting or celebrity news the media would rather focus on.

Archived