Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Blake Brandel ---- why have I not heard this guys name yet he was the top rated (by far) pass-blocker and #4 run-blocker in the nation? Jeez.

CBSSports has him in the 400's ... The Draft Network doesn't have him ranked in the Top 400. Interesting. Not that i am married to or swear by PFF grades, but those are pretty dominant rankings. Very strange. Not like he doesn't have the measurables either.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

In your mind, you'd draft Uche over Akeem Davis Gaither?

Absolutely. I brought Gaither to this thread, I love the guy, but if I can only take one, I think Uche can be more disruptive with a bit more weight, length & experience v elite competition. I would be pleased with either, I fear the Dawg reporting my post to ES authorities.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Absolutely. I brought Gaither to this thread, I love the guy, but if I can only take one, I think Uche can be more disruptive with a bit more weight, length & experience v elite competition. I would be pleased with either, I fear the Dawg reporting my post to ES authorities.

No need to have that fear.

It's already happened.

I've also sent a package of fiery dog **** to your doorstep via GrubHub. Expect that soon.

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Akeem Davis-Gaither and this guy together, wow!

@volsmet as much as I enjoy draft, this thread each year is just incredible. I can count on you to introduce me to so many talented late round/UDFA 's that I otherwise wouldn't know. Thanks!

Watching that loaded app st defense, their best player (perhaps not best prospect) isn’t even draft eligible. Shaun Jolly may not have enough size to get into day 2 of the draft, but he’s going to be a fun follow for those of us in this thread next year.

3DB3747B-8047-42B7-BDD3-E1FC9ADE119D.gif

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Blake Brandel ---- why have I not heard this guys name yet he was the top rated (by far) pass-blocker and #4 run-blocker in the nation? Jeez.

CBSSports has him in the 400's ... The Draft Network doesn't have him ranked in the Top 400. Interesting. Not that i am married to or swear by PFF grades, but those are pretty dominant rankings. Very strange. Not like he doesn't have the measurables either.

In our ES draft I’m preparing to take a cb that is ranked cb 110 by nfl draft countdown. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We need a Nik Needham every year.

Watching that loaded app st defense, their best player (perhaps not best prospect) isn’t even draft eligible. Shaun Jolly may not have enough size to get into day 2 of the draft, but he’s going to be a fun follow for those of us in this thread next year.

Agreed on Jolly. He stands out every time you watch them. To be honest, most of their defense pops in every film. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Isaiah Hodgins

Your Meemaw's favorite Possession Receiver.

He ran a 4.12 shuttle at 6ft 4... unbelievable. Not mentioned much, but the & Pittman moved up everyone’s board with their shuttle times. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agreed on Jolly. He stands out every time you watch them. To be honest, most of their defense pops in every film. 

Their ability to discover talent is special. They’re as fun to watch as anyone ... when they’re not in Neyland taking us to OT. 😬

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

He ran a 4.12 shuttle at 6ft 4... unbelievable. Not mentioned much, but the & Pittman moved up everyone’s board with their shuttle times. 

My major updated receiver board has Hodgins at 12. Your boy Hightower at 13.

My big board is gonna be pretty different in the lower portions this weekend when I post it. 

16 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Their ability to discover talent is special. They’re as fun to watch as anyone ... when they’re not in Neyland taking us to OT. 😬

Yup, people are missing on him if they only focus on his pedestrian long speed. When you pair his fluidity with elite body control, catch radius, and hands he has a lane to succeed in when it comes to the NFL, especially in the Red Zone.

Mocks have him consistently available with our late 4th or even 5th Round Pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes higher.

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

Yup, people are missing on him if they only focus on his pedestrian long speed. When you pair his fluidity with elite body control, catch radius, and hands he has a lane to succeed in when it comes to the NFL, especially in the Red Zone.

Speed isn’t as big a predictor if success as it’s hyped up to be.

Speed isn’t as big a predictor if success as it’s hyped up to be.

Yup, people just glom onto it, because it's a high visibility indicator and make the mistake of thinking it's a binary barometer of success when it's much more complicated/nuanced than that.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As we've talked about here before, good player.  I think normally a 2nd rounder but I am guessing his character issues drop him to the third.   All the interviews I'd guess are in part to probe on the character. 

LSU always has the best characters, a night out on the town with Guice, Charles, Lewis, Divinity, Chase & Clark would require a month long recovery. Sullivan, on the other hand, just a boring human, probably one of the best humans in the draft.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

That plus the analytics is why I moved up for him in our mock...

03414C63-0C9C-438F-B61B-0EA720A76D99.png

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I placed a wager on Wills being the top tackle drafted at +480 - I imagine there are better odds out there. 

I have yet to watch Ruiz, I’ll have to do that. Michigan should have been much better, that roster was loaded, Danna is a freak that never gets mentioned, he’ll be drafted. 

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

LSU always has the best characters, a night out on the town with Guice, Charles, Lewis, Divinity, Chase & Clark would require a month long recovery. Sullivan, on the other hand, just a boring human, probably one of the best humans in the draft.

I go back and forth on Sullivan as a late round flier.  He's a good athlete.  Good size.  They used him mostly on short stuff and didn't use him much period.  But he has a mammouth wingspan.   He can block, too. 

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That plus the analytics is why I moved up for him in our mock...

The guy nobody mentions, that I love late, is a Lawrence Cager. Rarely do you see a WR change an offense so significantly.. he crushed Florida & ND, Fromm was a completely different player when Cager was on the field. Had I tried to trade back more, I’d have drafted him just so nobody else could grab him as an udfa.

Claypool is also interesting, he’s getting a lot of love, but it’s hard to see him staying outside early, his routes at the Sr bowl, as I mentioned before, were atrocious.

Who the heck is Cody White

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I go back and forth on Sullivan as a late round flier.  He's a good athlete.  Good size.  They used him mostly on short stuff and didn't use him much period.  But he has a mammouth wingspan.   He can block, too. 

I love Sullivan, he’s pretty explosive in and out of his breaks in practice, he can move, he blocks, & he’s a phenomenal person. 

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The guy nobody mentions, that I love late, is a Lawrence Cager. Rarely do you see a WR change an offense so significantly.. he crushed Florida & ND, Fromm was a completely different player when Cager was on the field. Had I tried to trade back more, I’d have drafted him just so nobody else could grab him as an udfa.

Claypool is also interesting, he’s getting a lot of love, but it’s hard to see him staying outside early, his routes at the Sr bowl, as I mentioned before, were atrocious.

Who the heck is Cody White

Cager and White are two guys that have been on my radar, but I haven’t gotten around to watching.  Now I’m more intrigued by Cager...

Yeah, ironically I liked Claypool last year, but honestly, I’m just not really seeing it with him.  I probably have a 5th round grade on him, but would potentially have other guys I’d take over him at that point.   I actually feel fairly similarly about Hodgins, but after the Texans basically gave away Hopkins (and with almost all of the analytics guys gone by that point), I felt the need to make a move.  

Edit:  To @Fresh8686’s point above, I do like some other things Hodgins has shown (beyond catch radius and fluidity), like his nuance in releases and route running.  That stuff translates.  A lot of these receivers probably move up from where the draft community has them.  Michael Pittman to the 2nd, Bryan Edwards to the 3rd (Deebo Samuel lite, though some of the offseason stuff could deflate his value), Hodgins 3rd or 4th, Tyler Johnson maybe in the 3rd.  I’m curious how much analytics drives the decision makers, because the markers for receivers especially are pretty dang well correlated...

Ridiculous 

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Cager and White are two guys that have been on my radar, but I haven’t gotten around to watching.  Now I’m more intrigued by Cager...

Yeah, ironically I liked Claypool last year, but honestly, I’m just not really seeing it with him.  I probably have a 5th round grade on him, but would potentially have other guys I’d take over him at that point.   I actually feel fairly similarly about Hodgins, but after the Texans basically gave away Hopkins (and with almost all of the analytics guys gone by that point), I felt the need to make a move.  

I liked Claypool last year as well. I still like him but he’s getting too expensive being mocked in the top 50.

Cager was a track guy in Hs, actually he played soccer, baseball & basketball, but I’m fairly certain the triple jump was where he shined outside of football, perhaps hurdles as well. He has injury concerns, but a 6ft 5 wr that dominated an elite secondary, with a background in other sports, who happens to be from Maryland.. I’m in.

Miami saw Cager & Thomas go to waste, they’re like Tennessee, but with good players.

Archived