Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This was a Haskins thread that turned into a revisionist Shanny/RG3 sh*t show thread

Veryoldschool

36 minutes ago, Art said:

I will ever find it amusing in spite of reams of quotes from Shanahan taking credit for the move for RGIII that when Jason Reid gets him to say something else we all forget what Shanahan said, time, time, time and time again before, when it was going well. 

Jeebus, it's like I've been cloned lol...

I constantly had to remind people that, at the time of the RG3 trade Shanahan took full responsibility and credit for it going down and reduced Dan's involvement in it as the only role he played was approving the haul of picks used to move up. He said because even though he had full control in his contract, when you make a deal that big you get the owner's approval on it, period.

Now, when Shanahan says the driving force and decision-making behind the trade and getting RG3 was "really" Dan and Bruce, so many fans lap it up as unquestionable truth. I have no doubts that Shanahan probably voiced concern over trading too many assets to move up, but I bet Bruce and Snyder did as well during the whole process. 

22 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't remember it that way.  As I recall they tried to get Griffin to execute a regular NFL offense until it was clear after 4 or 5 games he couldn't and went all in on the read option high school stuff.  

Not even remotely what happened lol...

Shanahan was definitely on record as saying the stuff Sinister mentioned, as well as Pete Carroll and the Seahawks started copying what Shanahan was already doing with Griffin 4 or 5 games into the season because he saw it working and confusing defenses. That right there shows that Shanny implemented that offense from game one. Hell, the entire first drive of Griffin's career was pistol formation, read option plays, designed QB runs and short, quick passes.

maybe you're thinking of the first 4-5 games of 2013?

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I don’t think it’s an issue of being a crass marketeer in this. I genuinely think the little turd has a complex and needs to be best buddies with the hot shot QB. He doesn’t need to even talk about anything personnel related and just stay in his lane. 

Haskins was living in the DC area when Griffin came to town. He was playing football at that time so of course he paid attention to what happened with RG3. He wasnt even a skins fan so if you have ever talked to any fan of the NFL thats NOT a skins fan about robert griffin they will ALL tell you exactly what went down. 

No way he falls for the same trap. Hes not new to the DC area. He knows. He even said "Lets do it right this time". He knows. 

51 minutes ago, Art said:

What fiasco from 2012?   When Shanahan started a rookie QB and ran him to his demise forcing the QB to challenge the coach on his playcalling after shredding his knee?   How is that Snyder exactly?   Haskins won't start for us Week 1 even if he is leaps and bounds ahead of all competition.   You've no fear.   Snyder doesn't pick the lineup.   Actually never has.   So all good.

I don't believe Shanny rode him to his demise.

Let's not forget in this narrative that Snyder was the one who wanted RG3 to become a pocket passer, got in his ear and RG3 was the one who went to Shanny and demanded that everything should change.  No more running.  Let's also not forget the Shanny's were the only ones who could mask RG3's deficiencies and get the most out of him.

But it was Snyder that was buddy-buddy with RG3 and filled his head with the pocket passer crap and challenged the playcalling.

I am hoping Haskins sits for a little while and studies up.  But I don't believe that orders do not come from the top down for the Redskins anymore.  Maybe not as often as they once did.  However in your scenario, if Haskins is leaps and bounds ahead of all competition and isn't the Week 1 starter, I do believe there will be pressure on Jay pretty quickly to make a change.  If Case has a bad game I believe that call will come from Snyder to give Haskins the next start.  

I've said before on here, the Redskins are almost always concerned first with making a splash, with making headlines.  They need to put asses in the seats, they need to keep talk radio buzzing with Redskins news, they need the Post to say nice things, they need more eyes on this message board...winning does that.  

But they don't win.

So they need to keep the attention on them in other ways.  And Haskins will be a big, big part of that this year.  Hopefully he's leading us to some wins instead of just hype.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Jeebus, it's like I've been cloned lol...

I constantly had to remind people that, at the time of the RG3 trade Shanahan took full responsibility and credit for it going down and reduced Dan's involvement in it as the only role he played was approving the haul of picks used to move up. He said because even though he had full control in his contract, when you make a deal that big you get the owner's approval on it, period.

Now, when Shanahan says the driving force and decision-making behind the trade and getting RG3 was "really" Dan and Bruce, so many fans lap it up as unquestionable truth. I have no doubts that Shanahan probably voiced concern over trading too many assets to move up, but I bet Bruce and Snyder did as well during the whole process. 

This mutha ****a Shannahan straight up said Griffin is the type of kid you want to marry you daughter!!! Lmao. 

People, he wanted this **** as bad as Snyder did. 

1 hour ago, posse87 said:

I generally agree with Snyder needing to stay away from showing favoritism, but when RG3 applies for his RG3 logo before he ever suited up in an NFL uniform, it wasn’t good.

That was in 2014...

I also think this "Snyder is buddies with [Insert player] is overstated.

As an owner, he can do that. The problem is when it compromises the day to day ops and on field stuff, and despite what's been floated out there over the years (mostly by Shanahan himself through various media types, most notably his friend Adam Schefter) there's no evidence of that. When Shanahan decided to go scorched earth and bench Griffin  (proving  beforehand that he no longer had what it took to run/coach a franchise) Snyder didnt intervene.  Nor did he intervene when Griffin was benched in '14. Not did he in '15 when Griffin lost his job for good.

It's just an easy narrative to paint when you might see Snyder and Griffin together at a baseball game (being hypothetical) or birthday party, or a wedding, or just joking at the team facility. Or selling him a fancy wafflemaker...

It's also easy to paint the same narrative when some reporter says "Dan's running the draft, coaches don't like it" when coaches are never in  lockstep with any draft pick (if one pays enough attention to the history of various teams and whatnot, it's very contested on draft day, and riffs between execs or coaches can occur), and Snyder may certainly openly be in love with a pick (he's the owner, he can do that), along with the people that are making the decision (evidenced by Grudens flat out saying Haskins was the #1 qb on their board). Tug on the truth a bit. Doesn't really mean a whole lot, other than to get people to reach for the low hanging fruit.

And really, it's understandable when you think about it. It's REALLY good fruit :)

Also, Mike Shanahan did not have a drop back offensive line.  He preferred lighter lineman to mesh with his old school running game, one that no longer works in The NFL in that iteration (see Gary Kubiak and the Houston Texans). It's based on running the ball, doing heavy pa/boot, and taking shots down the field. moving and making plays outside of the pocket. And it doesn't work if you have a crappy defense given to you courtesy of GM Mike Shanahan, which causes you to play from behind. So basically, being a drop back QB really wasn't going to happen that way.... Not without dudes like 100 lb Tyler Polumbus getting tossed on their asses.

Definitely from the get go gruden needs to claim case starter and Haskins will get worked in..if Haskins is on fire through tc and ps start case week 1, but if there's a ? at qb play the first 3 weeks and Haskins looks ready ya gotta give him a shot..

• TK changed the title to This was a Haskins thread that turned into a revisionist Shanny/RG3 sh*t show thread
3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Viking fan in deep fear that Haskins will lead the Redskins to the playoffs while Cousins fumbles his way to 6-10.

I have a dream. That one day Haskins will throw for 6TDs and 400 yards in Minnesota in the first round of the playoffs to the sounds of *You like that!?* echoing through the stadium. 

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have a dream. That one day Haskins will throw for 6TDs and 400 yards in Minnesota in the first round of the playoffs to the sounds of *You like that!?* echoing through the stadium. 

It would be cool if Cousins were there, but Kirk's gonna need another couple of years to "learn the system". I would say that maybe we could do it in Miami, but he'd have to make the Super Bowl for that to happen, so unfortunately it'll have to stay a dream.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:52 PM, Llevron said:

Haskins was living in the DC area when Griffin came to town. He was playing football at that time so of course he paid attention to what happened with RG3. He wasnt even a skins fan so if you have ever talked to any fan of the NFL thats NOT a skins fan about robert griffin they will ALL tell you exactly what went down. 

What team was Haskins a fan of ?

Sometimes QB's are drafted onto teams where the circumstances dictate when they will start.  I have no issue with Haskins starting Day 1 if he earns the job.  Ideally though, I would like to see Keenum return to his form that he had on a Vikings team that featured a good defense, running game, and some weapons.   If Keenum performs like THAT, then I think he is going into the season as the starter.

However, let's not act like this is a repeat of say.....Mahommes being drafted onto a playoff team with a solid starting QB already starting.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so i somehow got into a stupid Twitter debate with some guy trying to tell me that griffin said Trent Williams in a mic’d up video (from the playoff game vs Seattle) to “not tell anyone” (during their conversation on the sidelines about the tweaked knee). 

Anyone want to confirm that what he said in the video sounds nothing at all like “don’t tell anyone”? Because the guy on Twitter is pretty deadset on that being what griffin said in the video 😂😂 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000124294/Sound-FX-RG3-discusses-injury-with-Trent-Williams

Archived