Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This was a Haskins thread that turned into a revisionist Shanny/RG3 sh*t show thread

Veryoldschool

Learn from your mistakes Snyder and spare Haskins the unnecessary hoopla, unlike the 2012 fiasco.  Please don't anoint him the starter make him earn the job as he develops.  Let it be known that Case Keenum is expected to start and Haskins will be brought along but initially he will be a backup.   Let Haskins spend a lot of time with Alex Smith and see if Alex can help Haskins.  

Snyder, be a smart NFL owner, not a crass marketeer of jerseys for a change.  Don't wreck this kid by trying to profit immediately.  Give him the time to learn Gruden's system and get comfortable on the bench in 2019. 

I don’t think it’s an issue of being a crass marketeer in this. I genuinely think the little turd has a complex and needs to be best buddies with the hot shot QB. He doesn’t need to even talk about anything personnel related and just stay in his lane. 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What was the "fiasco" in 2012 ?

That year was one of the best Redskin years in decades.

Things didn't start to go downhill until the POST season of 2012.

The fiasco was our child of an owner needing to buddy up with a star player in a way that affected the locker room and screwed with said star player’s head. Snyder drips poison and needs to keep it out of the lockeroom, but I’m not sure his complex will allow him to. 

I think what @Veryoldschool means by the 2012 fiasco is having the owner go crazy go euphoric and develop a relationship with the star QB that usurped the authority of the HC and did a great deal to kill team chemistry; in the end, it was detrimental to the QB's relationship with his teammates and to those on the coaching staff who were charged with setting direction for him, not the other way around. The success on the field was sweet, but overly excited owner-to-BFF-with-the-QB really ruined things.

I agree 100% with the hope that Snyder's visions of jersey sales won't adversely affect his judgment here. My hope is that he's learned from his previous mistake and will let this kid learn and develop. We're not a QB away right now, and with this coach we'll always be far enough away, anyway. He shouldn't rush this kid into the starting lineup just to sell jerseys, fill empty seats, and/or replace all the opposing teams' fans who are increasingly taking over the stadium.

15 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

The fiasco was our child of an owner needing to buddy up with a star player in a way that affected the locker room and screwed with said star player’s head. Snyder drips poison and needs to keep it out of the lockeroom, but I’m not sure his complex will allow him to. 

8 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I think what @Veryoldschool means by the 2012 fiasco is having the owner go crazy go euphoric and develop a relationship with the star QB that usurped the authority of the HC and did a great deal to kill team chemistry;

I disagree that the relationship deeply affected team chemistry.

A team does not end the season on a 7-game winning streak, without having excellent team chemistry. If the chemistry was bad, then starting the season 3-6 would have doomed the rest of the season. That rebound and winning streak is the best possible evidence of good chemistry, because starting 3-6 is the biggest test of team chemistry.

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I think what @Veryoldschool means by the 2012 fiasco is having the owner go crazy go euphoric and develop a relationship with the star QB that usurped the authority of the HC and did a great deal to kill team chemistry; in the end, it was detrimental to the QB's relationship with his teammates and to those on the coaching staff who were charged with setting direction for him, not the other way around. The success on the field was sweet, but overly excited owner-to-BFF-with-the-QB really ruined things.

I agree 100% with the hope that Snyder's visions of jersey sales won't adversely affect his judgment here. My hope is that he's learned from his previous mistake and will let this kid learn and develop. We're not a QB away right now, and with this coach we'll always be far enough away, anyway. He shouldn't rush this kid into the starting lineup just to sell jerseys, fill empty seats, and/or replace all the opposing teams' fans who are increasingly taking over the stadium.

Well said! 

That Dan Snyder clip with RG3 when they were bowling was painful to watch. Clearly showed favoritism to one of the players, and I dont care what anyone says, that's not healthy for the team to witness. Shanahan had to completely renovate his offense around RG3 because he wasn't ready and wasnt a good pocket passer at that stage. He probably never would have been honestly, but we handled a franchise QB about as bad as you could have. 

So hopefully Dan does learn, I'm hoping he has enough drinking buddies on the team now so he doesnt have to hangout with the QB. 

I don't think there is nearly the hype with the fanbase with Haskins as there was with RG3 either. And, while the amount of picks expended on RG3 influenced the decision to start him, was there really another option on the roster at the time to start the season? Between Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb, and Shanny mindlessly "staking his reputation" on Sexy Rexy and John Beck, I think the fanbase was more starved for a star than they are now. True, Snyder has to want to get butts in the seats, but the signing of Keenum before the draft gives me hope that we aren't going to throw Haskins to the wolves.

I think the bigger concern is whether the stories are true about the staff preferring Drew Lock and the brass pushing for Haskins instead. 

53 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I think the Snyder-RG3 personal relationship was overblown. So they had Thanksgiving dinner together, who cares? NOBODY did when RG3 was pasting the Cowboys on Turkey Day. You know Tom Brady and Robert Kraft are buddy buddy too right?

34 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So hopefully Dan does learn, I'm hoping he has enough drinking buddies on the team now so he doesnt have to hangout with the QB. 

His main drinking buddy is supposedly Bruce Allen, and Bruce was already there in 2012. So it seems it won't be enough again...

Sadly...

40 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That Dan Snyder clip with RG3 when they were bowling was painful to watch. Clearly showed favoritism to one of the players, and I dont care what anyone says, that's not healthy for the team to witness. Shanahan had to completely renovate his offense around RG3 because he wasn't ready and wasnt a good pocket passer at that stage. He probably never would have been honestly, but we handled a franchise QB about as bad as you could have. 

Retooling the offense to run a high school/college system was clearly putting the cart before the horse and led to Griffin's demise. 

Hopefully, Haskins has more NFL QB potential than Griffin and the Skins will patiently develop it.  I agree with KingDaddy let Haskins sit on the bench as Mahomes did.  That used to be the norm for rookie quarterbacks and should be the plan with Haskins.  Keenum is a decent journeyman QB and we have Colt also, let these guys play while Haskins gets acclimated.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Learn from your mistakes Snyder and spare Haskins the unnecessary hoopla, unlike the 2012 fiasco.  Please don't anoint him the starter make him earn the job as he develops.  Let it be known that Case Keenum is expected to start and Haskins will be brought along but initially he will be a backup.   Let Haskins spend a lot of time with Alex Smith and see if Alex can help Haskins.  

Snyder, be a smart NFL owner, not a crass marketeer of jerseys for a change.  Don't wreck this kid by trying to profit immediately.  Give him the time to learn Gruden's system and get comfortable on the bench in 2019. 

What fiasco from 2012?   When Shanahan started a rookie QB and ran him to his demise forcing the QB to challenge the coach on his playcalling after shredding his knee?   How is that Snyder exactly?   Haskins won't start for us Week 1 even if he is leaps and bounds ahead of all competition.   You've no fear.   Snyder doesn't pick the lineup.   Actually never has.   So all good.

2 minutes ago, Art said:

What fiasco from 2012?   When Shanahan started a rookie QB and ran him to his demise forcing the QB to challenge the coach on his playcalling after shredding his knee?   How is that Snyder exactly?   Haskins won't start for us Week 1 even if he is leaps and bounds ahead of all competition.   You've no fear.   Snyder doesn't pick the lineup.   Actually never has.   So all good.

You've gotta admit, the whole thing was botched by someone. I don't know who is mostly to blame, I feel like that whole situation was on all three parties (Owner, Coach, Player). RG3 is out here making cryptic tweets about the Haskins selection saying we gave up on him too soon, yet he's been gone for nearly 4 years and STILL can barely read a defense. That's on him, and probably a good reason why we gave up on him. I'll be super glad if Haskins doesn't start right away, and I'm also even more glad that he doesn't have the massive hype that was surrounding RG3. The whole thing must have been insane for one man to endure, and it was a ton of unneeded pressure right off the bat. 

15 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You've gotta admit, the whole thing was botched by someone. I don't know who is mostly to blame, I feel like that whole situation was on all three parties (Owner, Coach, Player). RG3 is out here making cryptic tweets about the Haskins selection saying we gave up on him too soon, yet he's been gone for nearly 4 years and STILL can barely read a defense. That's on him, and probably a good reason why we gave up on him. I'll be super glad if Haskins doesn't start right away, and I'm also even more glad that he doesn't have the massive hype that was surrounding RG3. The whole thing must have been insane for one man to endure, and it was a ton of unneeded pressure right off the bat. 

RGIII's tweet on Haskins was not one bit cryptic.   He's saying, "You draft a guy, believe in him and give him time to develop for you."   He felt, because he's on the record saying so, that he didn't have that here and he clearly didn't.   The botching was that Shanahan, realizing he'd broken his best player, then decides to save his reputation from leading a team to horrendous results by leaking that a player demanded he stop making him run when he had torn ****ing ligaments and he used language the owner would use and people think that's weird.   RGIII was trying to save his career.   Shanahan was trying to save his next job.   It didn't really work for either, but there's a reason Shanny isn't in the league and RGIII still is.   

I will ever find it amusing in spite of reams of quotes from Shanahan taking credit for the move for RGIII that when Jason Reid gets him to say something else we all forget what Shanahan said, time, time, time and time again before, when it was going well.   Shanny is a guy looking to save face and it didn't work for a very simple reason.   The league knew HE had full control of the team when here and that Snyder didn't get in his way.   Else he'd be coaching.   Cause he wants to, or did want to.   Some of you just need a Snyder is a meanie bed time story to sleep at night and never realize you're getting played.    Anything Shanahan says is generally untrue.   And anything Reid writes is from a lens of being pwned by Snyder.   Take with a grain of salt.   Hell, even Reid's old buddy at the Post shredded his article.   But we don't even seem to remember that happened.

23 minutes ago, posse87 said:

I generally agree with Snyder needing to stay away from showing favoritism, but when RG3 applies for his RG3 logo before he ever suited up in an NFL uniform, it wasn’t good.

Baltimore drafted Trace McSorley from Penn St. in the 6th round so I think it’s over for RG3 in Baltimore. 

7 minutes ago, Art said:

RGIII's tweet on Haskins was not one bit cryptic.   He's saying, "You draft a guy, believe in him and give him time to develop for you."   He felt, because he's on the record saying so, that he didn't have that here and he clearly didn't.   The botching was that Shanahan, realizing he'd broken his best player, then decides to save his reputation from leading a team to horrendous results by leaking that a player demanded he stop making him run when he had torn ****ing ligaments and he used language the owner would use and people think that's weird.   RGIII was trying to save his career.   Shanahan was trying to save his next job.   It didn't really work for either, but there's a reason Shanny isn't in the league and RGIII still is.   

I will ever find it amusing in spite of reams of quotes from Shanahan taking credit for the move for RGIII that when Jason Reid gets him to say something else we all forget what Shanahan said, time, time, time and time again before, when it was going well.   Shanny is a guy looking to save face and it didn't work for a very simple reason.   The league knew HE had full control of the team when here and that Snyder didn't get in his way.   Else he'd be coaching.   Cause he wants to, or did want to.   Some of you just need a Snyder is a meaning bed time story to sleep at night and never realize you're getting played.    Anything Shanahan says is generally untrue.   And anything Reid writes is from a lens of being pwned by Snyder.   Take with a grain of salt.   Hell, even Reid's old buddy at the Post shredded his article.   But we don't even seem to remember that happened.

That's understandable that he feels that way, he definitely didn't get a fair shake. I also agree with what RG3 said in his tweet, I mean it is pretty common sense. My thought process is, once Shanahan left (because Jay took over in 2014, coming into RG3's third year), he just looked worse and worse on the field. So anything after 2013 season is on RG3 if we're calling Shanahan the main culprit here. There was still plenty of time for him to grasp the game, learn how to read defenses, and learn Grudens offense. None of it clicked though. Unless we're saying Shanahan turned him into damaged goods at this point, which is definitely a valid argument. Shanahan is a weasel, we know this, it's the reason why Kyle Shanahan is gone as well, there was too much bad blood between Mike and the FO. 

My distaste for Snyder is from his outside the organization antics that I've read. I think as a Football owner he has good intentions, he wants to put a winning team on the field, and he wants to make his team as marketable as possible. I'm not entirely sure if your second paragraph was specifically directed towards me or not, I just figured I'd let you know 😁

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Shanahan wanted to change the offense because he wanted to best take advantage of RG3's strengths and throw a newfound wrinkle at defenses, as well as provide a bridge for Griffin to slowly develop.

Wasn't really something he did out of exasperation. He was gushing about it all spring and summer,  saying stuff like "You're going to see things on a football field that you've never seen before."

Couldn't wait to show everyone his shiny new toy, and for that season at least, he was right 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Shanahan wanted to change the offense because he wanted to best take advantage of RG3's strengths and throw a newfound wrinkle at defenses, as well as provide a bridge for Griffin to slowly develop.

Wasn't really something he did out of exasperation. He was gushing about it all spring and summer,  saying stuff like "You're going to see things on a football field that you've never seen before."

Couldn't wait to show everyone his shiny new toy, and for that season at least, he was right 

I don't remember it that way.  As I recall they tried to get Griffin to execute a regular NFL offense until it was clear after 4 or 5 games he couldn't and went all in on the read option high school stuff.  Also, as a couple of other posters have pointed out Griffin still doesn't seem to read and process the field very well and Trace McSorley is going to get his spot.  Griffin got his shot in DC and couldn't hold on to the job.  Same in Cleveland and soon Baltimore.   But this thread was intended to be a plea for the Skins to introduce Haskins to the NFL intelligently.

Archived