Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, skeenzfan said:

Maybe he did maybe he didn't but you can't act like this tweet is a definite proof that he didn't just take the highest offer available. Hopefully more details come out soon and we learn that he picked the skins over similar offers but we don't know that for sure as of today. 

As I said to someone else earlier, the point is that Collins wasn't exactly holdilng his nose in disgust at signing with the dumpster-fire organization.

Just now, Califan007 said:

It can only be judged by what you know at the time...and like it or not, nobody can know exactly how a player will pan out over the course of their contract. But some things can happen that you had knowledge of (or should have had knowledge of) at the time the move was made.

If it was all about how things look at the time on paper, the Skins would have more than 3 Super Bowl rings.  It is a GM’s job to utilize what they know  prior to acquisition to determine what one will do after the acquisition.  To call all that luck, that’s something only Larry Michael could approve.

58 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

We never know if any player we draft will be good enough to be a one. But we still draft them and plan on them producing. I haven't seen anything yet that says he won't be good.

I haven't seen anything that would say anything since he got injured what 6 snaps into the first preseason game?

7 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

I hate to admit how smart this was.  21mil up front but other guarantees are triggered. I wonder if other teams are pissed that we “set the market” but surprise! Not really. He’s essentially guaranteed 45 mil, but only if he performs the next 2 years, otherwise we cut him loose for a 32 mil over first three years. He gets 45 by being a stud. The last 3 years salaries are inconsequential.

I think a sneaky low cost pick up would be Cam Wake from Miami. Get him on a 1 year deal to replace Smith. He’s older, but better. I wonder if he has anything left or if Miami just sucked last year on defense.

Agreed. Really a team friendly deal. And IF he is a stud his year 4,5 and 6 salaries are fair as well. You have to figure the price for a safety will be up near 20 mill by that time. Really a great job by the front office.

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Initially everyone was very mad about the money but the breakdown of the contract was very favorable to the Redskins. Props to Eric Schaffer for making this happen. 1 million against the cap in 2019? That's amazing. 

I agree with you, but I'm also not a fan of back end loaded deals. So many things can happen and saving money today doesn't always mean it's a good move overall.  

Truthfully we have to sign these kinds of contracts. We have some contracts we have to work around where the players are underperforming in relation to their cost (Smith, Norman, Brown, Reed, etc...). We are essentially buying time for Collins' cap hit to reduce that of the other deals. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If it was all about how things look at the time on paper, the Skins would have more than 3 Super Bowl rings.  It is a GM’s job to utilize what they know  prior to acquisition to determine what one will do after the acquisition.  To call all that luck, that’s something only Larry Michael could approve.

A lot of things factor in here.   Bill Belichick was four times a 10-game loser in the league as a head coach.   He was on the way to being fired and 1-3 when Brady happened.    The Rams had a GREAT season.   Two years ago a well-respected coach was fired and a guy I have underwear older than was hired and suddenly they have talent and hope.   They made a couple moves, but what really changed?   How much time did anyone on their offensive line miss this year?   How much time did their QB miss?   Zero.   Football is a sport that reality often changes things.

Alex Smith basically hasn't missed time in five years and breaks his leg.   Should our GM have anticipated THAT?   AND that the backup his coach loves would immediately break his leg?   I was iffy on the Smith move not because Smith was a good or bad player.   I liked the fact he was a middle tier QB being paid middle tier cap dollars versus paying Kirk top tier dollars for middle tier performance.   But I hated giving up Fuller.   The fact Smith got hurt doesn't make it worse anymore than if Smith comes back and leads us to Super Bowl makes it better.   It is what it was at the moment.   Then life tells you how well you did.

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

I agree with you, but I'm also not a fan of back end loaded deals. So many things can happen and saving money today doesn't always mean it's a good move overall.  

Truthfully we have to sign these kinds of contracts. We have some contracts we have to work around where the players are underperforming in relation to their cost (Smith, Norman, Brown, Reed, etc...). We are essentially buying time for Collins' cap hit to reduce that of the other deals. 

Not really. We have outs at year 2 and 3 for a pretty reasonable cap hit. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You're still talking about ultimate results.

Example: The Portis/Bailey trade. Bad move on the Skins part because a pro bowl CB is worth more than a pro bowl RB, and we ended up giving up a 2nd round pick to boot. Bad move.

The fact that the Skins' passing defense with Springs was ranked higher than the Bronco's pass defense with Bailey doesn't negate that the move was bad. The fact that Portis had a stellar career here while Shanahan kept trotting out journeymen RBs to tepidly eek out 1,000 yards then disappear a year later doesn't negate the fact that giving up a pro bowl CB and a 2nd round pick for a pro bowl RB was a bad move.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

As I said to someone else earlier, the point is that Collins wasn't exactly holdilng his nose in disgust at signing with the dumpster-fire organization.

I don't think players are that picky when it comes to landing spots. Sure, teams may hope the Patriots will pay more than everyone else, but the reality is most great players build up to their payday and any location/team is worth it for an extra $1M+. 

I'd argue that a high priced FA signing has more sticking power than 90% of the current roster, including coaches and GMs. For a player to choose a specific team because of a coach or culture he's got to know he's one bad season away from everything except the big contracts getting wiped out. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Not really. We have outs at year 2 and 3 for a pretty reasonable cap hit. 

That is a nice perk that the team added. The way I see that perk working is 2 years from now we might be looking at a totally different scheme where he might project to carry the same value. 

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Breer is still saying Jets still in the Mosley race via twitter.

All comes down to what they paid for Barr. He wanted over $10M a year. My guess is that he got no where close to that. 

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

Jets sign Barr, maybe out on Mosley? (If they were ever in).

if we sign Mosley and Collins and just some O-line depth, I would mark that as a successful FA offseason.

I just want Collins and Mosely.  FA would be an A+ for me. :)

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You're still talking about ultimate results.

Example: The Portis/Bailey trade. Bad move on the Skins part because a pro bowl CB is worth more than a pro bowl RB, and we ended up giving up a 2nd round pick to boot. Bad move.

The fact that the Skins' passing defense with Springs was ranked higher than the Bronco's pass defense with Bailey doesn't negate that the move was bad. The fact that Portis had a stellar career here while Shanahan kept trotting out journeymen RBs to tepidly eek out 1,000 yards then disappear a year later doesn't negate the fact that giving up a pro bowl CB and a 2nd round pick for a pro bowl RB was a bad move.

I am actually with you on this to an extent.

Would you have traded Emmitt Smith for Deion Sanders?   The best runner, maybe ever.    The best corner, without QUESTION.   It's not an easy answer.   Yes, an elite corner has more value than a good runner, and now it would be even more compound, but at that time, I still think an elite runner and an elite corner were closer, with the edge to corner obviously.   But an elite runner and a very good corner and now you're at an interesting place.

And the information the Skins had at the time was not what we had as fans.

1. Bailey sleeps around and has a lot of kids with other women.   His wife got tired of those other women with their kids in the Redskins family box.   She basically forced him to essentially bully out of here.   

2. Smoot was our best corner the year before we traded Bailey.   People internally believe this was because Bailey was playing himself gone to a degree as he was clearly a better player generally, but Smoot was the team's top corner THEN, that moment.   

3. Springs was gonna happen.

So, again, I tend to think you're right, but, the team was not factoring in Champ for Portis and bye.   It was factoring in Champ is GONE, what can we get, we have a better player on roster and Springs.   Would you have traded Bailey for Springs and Portis?   Sure as **** you would have :).   Still, you're right JUST on the generalities of the specifics of the two players and only that I think.   

2 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

if we sign Mosley and Collins and just some O-line depth, I would mark that as a successful FA offseason.

Having that defensive roster and handing it over to Manusky would be like listening to a someone learning to play the violin on a Stradivarius.

2 minutes ago, Art said:

A lot of things factor in here.   Bill Belichick was four times a 10-game loser in the league as a head coach.   He was on the way to being fired and 1-3 when Brady happened.    The Rams had a GREAT season.   Two years ago a well-respected coach was fired and a guy I have underwear older than was hired and suddenly they have talent and hope.   They made a couple moves, but what really changed?   How much time did anyone on their offensive line miss this year?   How much time did their QB miss?   Zero.   Football is a sport that reality often changes things.

Alex Smith basically hasn't missed time in five years and breaks his leg.   Should our GM have anticipated THAT?   AND that the backup his coach loves would immediately break his leg?   I was iffy on the Smith move not because Smith was a good or bad player.   I liked the fact he was a middle tier QB being paid middle tier cap dollars versus paying Kirk top tier dollars for middle tier performance.   But I hated giving up Fuller.   The fact Smith got hurt doesn't make it worse anymore than if Smith comes back and leads us to Super Bowl makes it better.   It is what it was at the moment.   Then life tells you how well you did.

Alex’s situation is an outlier, of course nobody can predict a broken leg.

There are plenty of other examples all across the league and certainly here in DC where players get inked to huge deals, where they either don’t fit or are regularly injured.  When the player doesn’t work out, an aging player falls off a cliff physically, or an often injured player gets injured again, that’s not luck. That’s what GM’s get paid the big bucks for, to take all of that into account.  That’s why they, in most places, get canned when the decisions don’t work out.

4 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Sorry, not sure how to multiquote after a post is made so writing a double here.

If the Jets, who have more cap room than us, can sign Barr why would they be out for Mosely if we, who have less cap room, are still in after signing Collins?   Assume the cap is fictional.   It's really how high we're willing to go at this point.   I thought we'd be out at the $17 million a season mark, which I suspect will get blown away now :).

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Initial reaction is an overpay.  Don't think Bruce understands the supply and demand concept. The safety market is flooded right now so didn't imagine that a team would pay that much for any of the safeties available.

Well, on first blush, it looks like the Chiefs gave a comparable contract to Mathieu, so unlike I thought,  maybe the market is actually in that range.

23 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

Maybe he did maybe he didn't but you can't act like this tweet is a definite proof that he didn't just take the highest offer available. Hopefully more details come out soon and we learn that he picked the skins over similar offers but we don't know that for sure as of today. 

him telling Allen "I told you dog" is essentially an admission that he told Allen that he intended to come here. Whether or not that intention coincided with the most money does not change the fact that he has alluded to having a preference. 

Just now, Art said:

Sorry, not sure how to multiquote after a post is made so writing a double here.

If the Jets, who have more cap room than us, can sign Barr why would they be out for Mosely if we, who have less cap room, are still in after signing Collins?   Assume the cap is fictional.   It's really how high we're willing to go at this point.   I thought we'd be out at the $17 million a season mark, which I suspect will get blown away now :).

Barr is an edge rusher so you may have a point and they still want an ILB.

Archived