Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

8 minutes ago, carex said:

this is a conversation about what is happening now

No, the outrage now is a culmination of what’s been done over the last 20 years.  The top brass is literally rallying behind what most of us feared, that 6-3 start.  Very similar to 2017 where all we heard about was 4-2.  The leaders of this franchise actually believe that their misfortune is that of bad luck.  Of course we can only come to this conclusion because of the lack of action taken to this point, god forbid they actually get in front of a mic.

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Correct.  And what IS HAPPENING CURRENTLY is a whole lot.  You can't honestly think that it's not a boiling **** storm behind closed doors right now. 

so... you're saying all the things that we know NOTHING ABOUT are  proof of this meltdown

7 minutes ago, carex said:

so... you're saying all the things that we know NOTHING ABOUT are  proof of this meltdown

I’m just going to jump in and say this: what we know is that jay and Bruce are still here (Bruce being here still is the more insane thing in my opinion) and Greg Manusky is still somehow on the team (why the actual ****??? He sucks), and just about everything the team did in December shows there’s a meltdown at Redskins Park. 

14 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Lol, if you care to share what you're drinking, I'd LOVE to have an ounce of your delusion. 

ive got this drinkinn thing.. to keep from thinkin things........ I bet they are at redskins park drinking and checking  EXTREMESKINS for what we have posted and they are laughing so hard at us thinking they have finally pushed us off the ledge.  We are the circus....

There is one possible explanation about why there is no news coming out of Redskins Park - They may be looking at someone, even a few guys that are still coaching as their teams are in the POs.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt Bruce and Dan will find a way to screw this up (the fact that Bruce is still hear is proof of that) - but in fairness, they need permission to talk to guys still coaching. And most teams will not grant that permission. The Redskins also have a bad reputation for scheduling interviews during this time then not following through. Teams remember that kind of stuff.

I agree they could at least stop the rumors with a broad statement that they are looking at all options and nothing has been decided - but that would make too much sense. If that is the reason, they may be thinking that making that statement would give away their plans in case they are after someone that another team wants.

Of course I do not know any more than anyone else, but it is a possibility.

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

There is one possible explanation about why there is no news coming out of Redskins Park - They may be looking at someone, even a few guys that are still coaching as their teams are in the POs.

This is true.  Where it gets wierd is having coaches sitting around not knowing their future, while the Redskins “touch base” with other coaches.  

Sure, one side of me thinks it’s not a bad idea, because the Skins can’t always get who they want anymore.  On the other side. If I’m Manusky or any of those guys, I’m salty and insulted.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, in regards to the thread subject...

Has anyone here, by chance, talked to the newspaper delivery boy, who delivers the Post to the house of a gentleman, who is a former co-worker with the sister of a dude who is the former boyfriend of Torrian Gray's cousin, to get some inside information on this ordeal ?

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is true.  Where it gets wierd is having coaches sitting around not knowing their future, while the Redskins “touch base” with other coaches.  

Sure, one side of me thinks it’s not a bad idea, because the Skins can’t always get who they want anymore.  On the other side. If I’m Manusky or any of those guys, I’m salty and insulted.

And, to be honest, a lot of teams aren't going to hold it against them if they half-ass it after the way they've been treated simply due to the fact that the Redskins are somewhat known for doing shady business dealings as of late. Though, some teams will.

Coaches also aren't going to be chomping at the bit to come to DC unless their compensation is over market value. The Skins clearly want to move on from someone... Gruden, Manusky, whoever... Yet the current coaches sit, under contract, unable to begin looking for other work while jobs are available in the NFL and college.

Reaching out to agents to see of interest quietly may or may not be smart. But actively pursuing job candidates for a job that is not vacant isn't the best look.

It's not doom and gloom, in my opinion... but it's just not the mark of a stand-up and solid organization.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's not doom and gloom, in my opinion... but it's just not the mark of a stand-up and solid organization.

Agreed, but I think the doom and gloom is a by-product of the latter part of your statement.  

Moving on from Manusky isn’t doom and gloom for me.  Having him hang out while the organization talks to potential upgrades though is just just a bad look.  Not just for him but all the other defensive coaches and players.  

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To me the most interesting dynamic of it is three fold:

A.  Can the Redskins attract a top flight coach anymore?  Depending on the narrative some say Dan has turned cheap or Bruce has turned him cheap and top coaches don't want to come here anymore.  The QB situation adding to that angst.

B.  Some beat guys say Dan-Bruce don't buy into this narrative that the Redskins have lost their luster and that they are disrespected around the league.  So if they get rejected by whomever they pursue how do they take it?

C.  On the aggregate I like Jay but I have one of the same beefs with him than I did with Shanny.   That is, neither seem to be into high reputation, high ego type defensive coaches.  Part of the narrative with Jay on all three defensive coaches he hired was friendship-bonding.

That's why to me if they bring in Gregg Williams it would be so fascinating and I'd give them kudos for it.  Pursuing Todd Bowles I wasn't as impressed with because the dude reputation wise is mild mannered and easy going.  That seems the model that Dan-Bruce and maybe even Jay prefer.  Gregg Williams would be going so against type.  Big rep.  Big ego.  He'd post an instant threat to Jay I think because he's HC material.    It would be stunning to me. 

And for those that think I am just rooting for bad things to happen this off season.  It's not how I typically roll.  But this time the answer is yes and no.  Yes in that I want one of the top prospects in the 2020 draft and don't think the roster is a playoff roster with the current QB configuration we got -- so lets tank and get a guy versus the 7-9 stuff.  No, in that I want to see at least some glimmer of some things I used to like about the old Dan even though on the aggregate he's always been to me a bad owner.

I was a critic of the old Dan, too.  But to me he had a least some redeeming qualities that look to have disappeared.  Old Dan wasn't as reclusive and seem to have some clue from time to time about fan discontentment and at least had some interest in kindling some excitement albeit in a misguided way.   Also old Dan would make Gregg Williams back in the day one of the highest paid assistants in the NFL.  The new Dan would rather for example keep Haslett because he can't stand eating his salary -- that's not how he used to roll.   

My crazy hope is Dan at least eschews this new cheap gene and is willing to splash cash to get targets and is aware of fan discontent.  And while I don't think hiring Gregg is the be all and end all -- it would show me that Dan can at least use some charm and money to attract a coaching target.  The one thing that I perhaps took for granted from Dan previously was I always thought this team can at least attract some big name coaches if they desired to.  I didn't think we'd get to this point where this place is that unattractive to be at. 

And if I were Gregg, if they offered me the job I might take it for this reason:  Jay seems to be a lame duck coach.  The defense has more potential right now than the offense.  You bring this defense into the top 10, good chance you might get a go at the HC job after all.  Considering this place might not be a hot prospect for HCs these days -- some beat guys poked around with agents to reach that conclusion -- a guy like Gregg might be the best Dan can do in 2020. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn't, for a second, think that Jay Gruden is safe at this point.

Safe for 2019 or 2020?    Unsafe for 2020, I agree.  I think maybe 5% chance at best he's back.   2019 he seems to be safe but I guess you never know.  Typically, Dan would make a move by now if he's changing the HC.   That's why if I were a DC who has some HC experience, I'd consider taking the job here this time.  If I am a DC though without obvious HC potential, I probably wouldn't take it because of Jay's likely lame duck status. 

The hard thing is as most beat guys say Dan really doesn't talk to any reporter.  Bruce for the most part ditto.  So you got to go with other people in the FO who just hear scuttlebutt around the office or by agents who communicate to the FO who form impressions.  Some of that stuff is likely true, some not.  Two of the narratives that are coming out as possibilities.

A.  Dan isn't sure what he wants to do so if it feels like things are happening on the fly its because they are.  If so, you'd figure he figured it out by now.

B.  In the past, they got burned by letting coaches go and then missing out on targets they wanted so this time they want to have their cake and eat it too -- hold on to coaches while they pursue targets they like -- if they don't get who they like then they keep the bird in hand.

Who knows but from the outside it feels weird.  Maybe they will surprise us with something unexpected and their master plan whatever it is will vindicate them?  Doubt it.  But will see.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Safe for 2019 or 2020?   

Right now.

No one has come out and said Gruden is back. 

They are interviewing candidates for what everyone believes to be the DC job, but has that really been confirmed? Gregg Williams is a name that isn't likely to come to DC to be a DC. If they went after him, he'd likely want to be the HC and have some modicum of roster control. I'm not saying the Skins would hire him under those conditions, but if Snyder is desperate enough I don't rule it out. 

I'm not saying it's likely, either. But we haven't heard a word from Redskin Park. Kotwica mysteriously became the Falcons ST coach without any kind of hint it was going down. The team is enshrouded in secrecy. Part of me likes that. Part of me thinks they are being too quiet.

They are doing something.

It may be looking for a new DC. Or maybe they're allowing that to be the narrative while they look for new DCs and/or new HCs.

Maybe they'd be happy with O'Connell running the offense and are looking at a defensive oriented HC while they'd also maybe be okay with Jay being HC while they find a new DC, so they can conduct two searches at once and use the shadows as cover.

And no, this isn't some conspiracy theory. It's just a thought.

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But what we don't know is that while they may not be telling us anything, I would be surprised (yes even for this organization) if they have not told the guys what is going on in private and asked them to keep it to themselves - at least at some level. I know the organization is messed up, but I have to think if nothing else Jay has called guys privately. This would make sense why Kotwica is gone and why there has not been anything official from Gray. 

In fairness to the beat guys - I do not think they are making things up. I think they are passing on what little they are getting from their sources. What i would not put past the team is to purposely feed them incorrect information under the guise of subterfuge. And if it happens to embarrass some of the media, well that's a bonus. Their arrogance cannot be under estimated. It's been on full display for quite a while. It seems the beat guys have figured this out as the flow of gossip seems to have died down.

Having said that, I have to agree with others that they really should not peddle gossip. I realize Russell has been right more than wrong, but not even knowing the contract situations before reporting on the guys status and what he is hearing about them is at the very least lazy. He is reporting on peoples lives without doing the most basic of research. It's not like it's hard to find that information. 

Just like always, there is enough blame to go around. Both sides could be operating better. 

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right now.

Washington Post reported that Jay was told he was returning.

Though if they feel like they have a chance at a better candidate I don't think they should pass just because they already told him that. I think Gregg Williams would be better as a HC than a DC here to be honest...id be happy about that. 

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right now.

If I recall JP Finley came out with a report that say Jay was told he's back.   Agree though anything is possible.  

For me the most confusing thing is this (with the disclaimer this is speculation from people that talk about Dan sourcing people who know-observe him)

A.  We recall old school Dan who was high strung and emotional (some say he's still high strung and emotional behind the scenes) who would freak out from no shows at stadiums and PR issues and would be determined to do just about anything for a splash.

B.  We have a narrative from some who cover the team (and it makes sense to me) who say Bruce and Jay have convinced Dan that this team is close to the big dance but has just been foiled by bad luck -- and any disgruntled fans are just plain wrong and emotional and will be fine once they kick butt in 2019.

Both points have some hyperbole to bring the point home.  So which version of this wins?  Or is there something in between this that splits the difference?

3 minutes ago, dballer said:

Washington Post reported that Jay was told he was returning.

That’s just it, though... is the WP reliable? No one knew about Kotwica. What’s their source on Jay? I’m not doubting that they heard from a source that he’s back. I’m sure they did. But how reliable is the source?

A lot of this stuff seems to be very fluid and dynamic. And there seems to be smoke screens left and right. 

My point is: If it doesn’t come directly from the Redskins, don’t trust it. And even if it does who knows :ols:

Archived