Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

Just go full rogue and offer Gregg the HC position while he is in house...

It is amazing that they are bringing people in to interview, and seemingly no one is even sure what job they are interviewing for. That has to be pretty nerve racking for the sitting coaches. including (or not) Torrian Gray. 

6 hours ago, Hogs86 said:

Is this what you are looking for?

Jsteelz @jsteelznskins
FollowFollow @jsteelznskins
More

Tomorrow will be a big day but no news is good news in this case so far regarding Gregg Williams. He has not signed a deal and is set to meet with Skins this week

Again.... this is an issue. We still have a defensive coordinator and a DB coach if reports are correct. But then again, we didn't know Kotwica was gone, either. So who knows.

6 hours ago, Hogs86 said:

You may be correct,  I hope not I would like to see Gregg Williams get it.  The fact is we do not know what is truth coming out of Redskins Park. It could be status quo or everyone could be gone.

I said it before... but I don't think Gregg Williams is interviewing for the DC job.

If Williams comes here, he's coming to be the HC, and he's going to have some kind of roster control.  Any other way and he won't work. And actually, that hire still wouldn't "appease" me, because I'm not confident Bruce Allen can keep himself out of the limelight long enough to let Williams actually control the roster. And, well, we still have a HC.

My initial thought, based on reports is:

Gregg Williams is interviewing to be the HC. If he's hired, Joe Woods will be brought in as the DB Coach/DC (but Williams will run the D). If Williams is not hired, Woods may be brought in as the DB coach.

Again, this is just me thinking out loud. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Williams comes here, he's coming to be the HC, and he's going to have some kind of roster control.  Any other way and he won't work. And actually, that hire still wouldn't "appease" me, because I'm not confident Bruce Allen can keep himself out of the limelight long enough to let Williams actually control the roster. And, well, we still have a HC.

My initial thought, based on reports is:

Gregg Williams is interviewing to be the HC. If he's hired, Joe Woods will be brought in as the DB Coach/DC (but Williams will run the D). If Williams is not hired, Woods may be brought in as the DB coach.

Again, this is just me thinking out loud. 

I don't know if all of this would appease me...but it would be my best case scenario at this point...which means there is no chance it happens..

It is also the only way I could see Gregg coming, unless he believes he would have a chance to take over for Jay as an interim and that is his path to HC. Didn't work for him in Cleveland, but might be a better chance than going back to DC in NY.

1 minute ago, dballer said:

I don't know if all of this would appease me...but it would be my best case scenario at this point...which means there is no chance it happens..

Absolutely. I may not be "happy" still as a fan, but I'd be intrigued. It would be a scenario where, if Bruce Allen can keep his head on the business ops side and merely help with negotiations on contracts and scout organization (because I think the team has been doing fairly well in the draft), it could be a phenomenal move for the Skins.

I just have my reservations about the Allen part of that whole thing.

The weird thing about the Gregg thing is Jets fans like below seem to think he's already with the Jets, ditto some national media.  Laconfora (and Russell locally) leading the charge on both the Redskins being interested in Gregg with Laconfora saying he's not locked into the Jets, yet.  The whole thing comes off strange.   If he's interviewing for the HC charge like KDawg suspects even stranger.  Personally, in Gregg's shoes though I'd think I am likely HC anyway in 2020 because I'd guess the defense will be decent this year but the offense won't -- Jay would be gone and this job won't be in demand in 2020 so Gregg would be perfectly positioned.  

Adding more to the strange part of this is I'd presume Gregg knows Dan's baggage well.  He supposedly didn't care for Cerrato -- so now he's got Bruce who seems to be a more Machiavellian and more dangerous version of Cerrato.  So in his shoes, I think the dilemma is do you want to be a HC (which has eluded him for most of his career) but with a lot of headache or defensive coordinator elsewhere with good job stability with much less headache.  That's why I keep saying I'd be stunned and impressed if they land him -- I do like Gregg but I don't live and die with coordinator hires -- its that they'd hire a personality that goes so against type for everyone there for all three parities Dan, Bruce and Jay if he's their as a coordinator.  If its a HC that goes double.  Gregg isn't a go along to get along type.  

Also, the thing is when Gregg was here last time, he was an assistant head coach, that was his title if I recall.  Greg Blache had if I recall the defensive coordinator title.

I don't know if anyone feels like following the whole Gregg Williams shtuff, but in the past I always followed beat reporters for other teams competing for players on twitter. I remember following that Raiders beat reporter who SWORE Djax was signing with the Raiders lol...I also followed the Browns beat reporters back when we were in competition for trading with the Rams for RG3. You get a ton of insights that--while hardly a slam-dunk or anything--add some interesting perspectives.

I'm not following anyone concerning Williams because I'm one of the very few who hopes he doesn't end up here, especially as head coach.

I have been following it, NY Post says this.  I like Gregg but be more impressed that Bruce and Dan would voluntarily inherit someone who goes against their type.  I don't think Bruce would love himself some Gregg or vice versa even if they think its fine right now.  

https://nypost.com/2019/01/11/jets-moving-to-hire-gregg-williams-as-defensive-coordinator/

Gregg Williams is a strong possibility to be Gase’s defensive coordinator with the Jets, a source confirmed Friday. 

1 hour ago, bh32 said:

If GW were brought in as DC,would that mean the Redskins would be switching to the 43 defense?

I'd hazard a guess for sure.  Cooley in particular in his film review seems to think our personnel is a much better for a 4-3 base versus a 3-4.  

Just caught up with a Keim appearance from today -- some of his points

A.  Manusky he hears isn't safe

B.  But if Manusky ends up back after they search and fail to find their target replacements -- what does that say to the players he coaches, implying at the very least they'd get that the FO isn't in love with their head coordinator and think they can do better.   

C.  He agrees how they are doing this is weird

D.  He sees Gregg Williams as a possibility still -- but that's not based on sources screaming it to him, sounds like he talked to someone who didn't say yes to it but also didn't shoot it down.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Again.... this is an issue. We still have a defensive coordinator and a DB coach if reports are correct. But then again, we didn't know Kotwica was gone, either. So who knows.

I said it before... but I don't think Gregg Williams is interviewing for the DC job.

I thought the one thing that the Redskins confirmed was that Jay would be back for next year?  Not saying with this FO especially that could be BS but it'd be yet another sign of crazy dysfunction. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd hazard a guess for sure.  Cooley in particular in his film review seems to think our personnel is a much better for a 4-3 base versus a 3-4.  

We don't run a base 3-4. I'm not sure why this is said so often. Your base is your bread and butter. What you're in most often. We run a 4-2ish look more than anything else. We have moments of odd-front defense, but we are usually in an even front. 

I agree that we have personnel more in range for an even front base.

I'd be completely shocked if the Skins got Williams without him being the HC. There are better opportunities for him to call a D elsewhere. If he winds up at the DC, I have to wonder what promises were made. And so will other coaches.

The FO is setting 2019 up to be a total lame duck year. Interviewing candidates for unopen positions is a really bad way to go about doing this.

2 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

I thought the one thing that the Redskins confirmed was that Jay would be back for next year?  Not saying with this FO especially that could be BS but it'd be yet another sign of crazy dysfunction. 

Sure. 

They may have.

Things change. Dan/Bruce could get desperate.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I don't know if anyone feels like following the whole Gregg Williams shtuff, but in the past I always followed beat reporters for other teams competing for players on twitter. I remember following that Raiders beat reporter who SWORE Djax was signing with the Raiders lol...I also followed the Browns beat reporters back when we were in competition for trading with the Rams for RG3. You get a ton of insights that--while hardly a slam-dunk or anything--add some interesting perspectives.

I'm not following anyone concerning Williams because I'm one of the very few who hopes he doesn't end up here, especially as head coach.

I'm surprised he got back in the league after Bountygate and with the Redskins issues with the league in the past I want nothing to do with controversial people

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We don't run a base 3-4. I'm not sure why this is said so often. Your base is your bread and butter. What you're in most often. We run a 4-2ish look more than anything else. We have moments of odd-front defense, but we are usually in an even front. 

I agree that we have personnel more in range for an even front base.

no one considers the nickel defense a base

3 minutes ago, carex said:

no one considers the nickel defense a base

Does that make it not one? Trying to understand this the best I can.

It's like me driving a Lambo one time and then saying, "I drive a Lambo as my base" when I wheel around in a 2006 Ford Focus every day.

Just now, KDawg said:

Does that make it not one? Trying to understand this the best I can.

It's like me driving a Lambo one time and then saying, "I drive a Lambo as my base" when I wheel around in a 2006 Ford Focus every day.

I would say that makes it not a base.  Consider this, a team bases it's roster on it's formations.  A team that never lines up with a fullback doesn't carry one for example.  The Redskins despite frequently having four linemen and two linebackers on the field  carry 6 DL amd 8 or 9 LB

I don't recall seeing any national headlines about Jay gruden officially returning as a head coach.. I've seen little leaks and reports here and there..so what's this little scuttlebutt I hear about bringing Greg Williams in as head coach?... Would Greg Williams accept it?..hmmm nooo way this could happen

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The term the beat guys typically give is base because in their terms its what they typically use on first down on obvious run downs.  But if your point is "base" shouldn't be defined like that but instead that word should define the defense they typically use.  OK.  I think we all know here they are in 3-4 give it take 30% of the time.  I even charted it once and put in on a thread.   I think most here know they are typically in nickel with a 4 man front.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd be completely shocked if the Skins got Williams without him being the HC. There are better opportunities for him to call a D elsewhere. If he winds up at the DC, I have to wonder what promises were made. And so will other coaches.

I'd be shocked too.  That's why if they did it -- it would be fascinating.  Gregg isn't the type to tell dan what he likes to hear and there is some past baggage between the two.  Bruce and Gregg I doubt would get along.  And Jay might feel like he has his replacement in house let alone Gregg and Jay are totally different personalities.  I am not one of the Jay critics on the board but I do have some beefs with him among them is he seems to like to have defensive coordinators whom he has a strong personal comfort-chemistry with.  And while I get the sentiment sometimes IMO you got to shake that up for results.  Gregg and Gibbs are about as different as it gets but Gibbs wanted Gregg anyway.  

So for me its not that I think Gregg is the be all and end all coach -- albeit I do think by far he's better than anyone whose been here since he left -- but his hire would be fascinating.  And for those reasons I don't think its going down.  But will see.

10 minutes ago, carex said:

I would say that makes it not a base.  Consider this, a team bases it's roster on it's formations.  A team that never lines up with a fullback doesn't carry one for example.  The Redskins despite frequently having four linemen and two linebackers on the field  carry 6 DL amd 8 or 9 LB

Eh. Do they, though?

DL

Allen

Payne

McGee

Ioannidis

Brantley

Settle

Kerrigan*

Smith*

McPhee*

Anderson*

LB

SDH

Brown

Foster

Vigil

JHC

Anderson could maybe go to either the DL or LB. But the other guys function more often as a DE than they do as a OLB.

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I don't recall seeing any national headlines about Jay gruden officially returning as a head coach.. I've seen little leaks and reports here and there..so what's this little scuttlebutt I hear about bringing Greg Williams in as head coach?... Would Greg Williams accept it?..hmmm nooo way this could happen

The Williams as HC thing I believe was started by me... Maybe someone else has said it though? I haven't read anywhere else to be honest. It's just a guess based on the timeline and Gregg's status/history here. No smoke or fire there to be honest.

But to counterpoint: There's been nothing about Manusky being released as the DC, either. The team is doing this whole thing backwards.

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If we bring in GW as HC, did we comply with the Rooney Rule? Is that what the Woods stuff is about? I'm confused

Well this actually makes more sense than what seems to be really happening...seems like everyone is confused at the moment :silly:

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The team is doing this whole thing backwards.

Only the Redskins way of course...

I know Cooleyfan mentioned that he hadn't sealed the deal with the Jets yet and there was a visit with the Redskins, if they could offer him everything..hell hire him as head coach,..I could go for that, ship Jay out and bring in Greg Williams for head coach..but if Greg Williams wants control of this and that they need to give it to him and if him and Snyder can let bygones be bygones maybe this could happen..oh man oh man

Stuff like Greggg becoming a coach is a dream to me, and I want to believe it so much. But I also remember that we brought in Wade Phillips so that we could scoff at him, and then brought him in again so that he could show us the middle finger that coincidentally wore a Super Bowl ring. I rate it at 80% chance that Gregggg walks.

11 minutes ago, dballer said:

Well this actually makes more sense than what seems to be really happening...seems like everyone is confused at the moment :silly:

This is the latest i have this strange feeling something may come out of this.

Jsteelz @jsteelznskins
FollowFollow @jsteelznskins
More

As of 10:55am today . There is no deal yet with the Jets and Williams . I know all skins fans watching this one . So reports of him signing last week is False . No deal yet

I mean is this what Snyder could possibly be trying to do... Something to try to luer the Redskins fans back.. Snyder tells Allen look mother ****er I run this ship and what Gregg William says goes.. stay the **** out of the way and what Gregg says goes..??eh eh?.. that's what Gibbs wanted Snyder to do in the first place and because Danny boy didn't get his way he just **** canned everyone..now that Snyder has matured lol maybe hey can bring Greg back and everyone gets along and we win WE START WINNING AGAIN and we win more and more and the winning feels good and we're considered winners again and we're winning the division (Talladega nights chick lol)and it feels good caues were winning and your winning we're all winners..ya..go skins!

I mean can't we all agree we haven't seen no real news or anything about Jay gruden officially returning maybe this is why Bruce Allen has not had any news conferences because he's waiting to announce Greg Williams as our new head coach could you imagine I was one to question if he would have been a good head coach replacing Joe Gibbs because he didn't have that good of a stint in Buffalo but I loved him as our defensive coordinator and seeing what he did with the Cleveland browns makes me feel more confident of him being an excellent coach.. oh dear Lord please let this be the case...

Archived