Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I still fist pump at the Clang, the insurance runs from Soto and Eaton, and "SWING AND MISS...SWING AND A MISS...SWING AND A MISS...AND WORLD SERIES GAME7 WINNING CURLY W IS IN THE BOOKS!"

Just listen to it, let the chills and tears flow.

• Like 2

^^Growing up a Senators fan, I couldn't bring myself to root for the Orioles after the team moved to Texas. So I looked for the team the Orioles hated the most to root for: Yankees. Most/all of my friends started rooting for Baltimore but I couldn't do it. The Senators got too many beatdowns from the Orioles to turn around & root for them. I did get to see the Pirates beat them at Memorial stadium in Game 7 in 1979 - the 'We Are Family' version of Pitt. Good times. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^Growing up a Senators fan, I couldn't bring myself to root for the Orioles after the team moved to Texas. So I looked for the team the Orioles hated the most to root for: Yankees. Most/all of my friends started rooting for Baltimore but I couldn't do it. The Senators got too many beatdowns from the Orioles to turn around & root for them. I did get to see the Pirates beat them at Memorial stadium in Game 7 in 1979 - the 'We Are Family' version of Pitt. Good times. 

I felt the same way about the Orioles, I was 10 in 1986. Guess who my team became?

Drop those ****ing assholes like a psycho ex-gf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Finally a World Series hat I can get behind. That black one looked dumb. 

Yeah, I didn't like the black one. The other 5950 hats with the champion patch were sweet (I have the red and blue ones of those).

I did like the black champs t-shirt with the trophy and the signatures on the back.

It's been a weird spring and summer, and it feels like years since I was in West Palm Beach watching spring training and getting my picture taken in front of the World Champions signage at the ballpark there.  We had our 5 days there and were headed back to DC in early March except my one friend who was supposed to fly straight  to San Francisco for a biomedical conference, but he had to scramble to change his flight plans because the conference got canceled because of growing concerns over this weird virus that seemed to be spreading.  We had no firm notion of the turmoil ahead... we were just looking forward to being at Nats Park for opening day.

So here it is almost 4 months later and, for better or worse and at long last, it's Opening Day.  It will be sooo welcome to watch games with Bob and FP and listen to Charlie and Dave while driving.  Some semblence of normalcy in an otherwise crazy, challenging, and awful time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So here it is almost 4 months later and, for better or worse and at long last, it's Opening Day.  It will be sooo welcome to watch games with Bob and FP and listen to Charlie and Dave while driving.  Some semblence of normalcy in an otherwise crazy, challenging, and awful time.

It's kind of amazing, but I think baseball is going to do wonders for my mental health.  Like, way more than is rational.  Not just that sports are back, but the rountineness, the everydayness, of baseball is going to be helpful.

If the Nats get into a pennant race, I will reevaluate the impact on my mental health. :)  

• Like 2

This season sets up for us well--we have an older rotation that pitched a ton last year--the rest and short season may do us well. I'll be more laid back this year, I think, than others, since we ****ing won it all. However, enter post-season? All bets are off.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This season sets up for us well--we have an older rotation that pitched a ton last year--the rest and short season may do us well. I'll be more laid back this year, I think, than others, since we ****ing won it all. However, enter post-season? All bets are off.

I couldn’t make myself care when the Caps lost to Carolina in the first round the after they won the Cup. Probably the same with the Nats. “Oh well still champs.” 

Also worth considering that with all the new weird rules, if they stick around after the pandemic, the Nats will have won the last World Series with real baseball rules. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Passan has an article on ESPN (I’ll try to find the link) where a player speculated that “horny dudes on the road” is what is going to make the whole thing fall apart. Go chasing tail and catch the covid... 

This was my prediction too. Not the horny dudes part. But as soon as teams start the mass road trips, there's bound to be players testing positive.

4 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Did he play Tuesday or Wednesday? I'm assuming he's been practicing & near other people. Isn't there a risk that other players have been exposed?

Yeah I fear that's the other shoe that's going to drop.  I guess we'll get to see how effective MLB efforts to mitigate spread in the locker room and on the field have been.