Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Really? Well I dunno.  I think Scherzer's personality probably plays into it a bit too, along with Strasburg.

With Max you'd think that he might bite chunks out of someone if he wasn't the #1 SP, whereas with Strasburg, it seems like he couldn't care less if he was 1, 2 or 3

This is what Davey is paid to figure out as manager of the team.

It's opening game, not October, this conversation matters more with more on the line.

But the idea of placating Max already bothers me, even for a team that just won the World Series. Stras was drafted for this role that I'd argue he's earned and Max still feels entitled to.

Cool, Max wants to kill everything that walks when he's on the mound. If that's his own team if they get in his way, that's a problem.  Not saying it's there, but it's going to be here fast if it isnt already.

We are all lucky we didn't have to watch a declining Jordan do to the Bulls what Kobe did to the Lakers on his way out. We got a taste of what that would've looked like when he played for the Wizards.

Someone needs to pull Max to the side and tell it to him straight, "kill when its your turn to kill". If the alpha in him doesn't want to accept that, try to trade him to New York for Judge and let it be there problem.

39 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Stras really put it together last year.  Max has 5+ straight years of A+ dominance.  Thats why he is the ace. 

7+. Max has 7 straight top 5 Cy Young finishes and is a Hall of Famer. You don't just brush that aside. Stras was amazing last year, but this is still Max's team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Its a nice problem to have, but this is still Max's team. There really isn't any arguing that. 

What does that even mean, though, honest question?

That's like asking is it Beals team when Wall comes back.  Wall shouldn't of been asked to take the last shot as much as he was, my point is about Max demanding to be the guy in potential elimination games when Stras is proving to be better at that right now.

Whether it's Max team or not is irrelevant to me, it's only a good problem if he doesn't make it a problem when we should be giving Stras the ball. If we on the same page that's where we are we better make sure Max knows that.

Edited by Renegade7

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whether it's Max team or not is irrelevant to me, it's only a good problem if he doesn't make it a problem when we should be giving Stras the ball. If we on the same page that's where we are we better make sure Mac knows that.

I guarantee it's relevant to the team. Max is still the ace, even Stras would say that. The clubhouse is a delicate eco system, you don't want to upset that balance. Max is the leader of this staff and of this team. 

What Strasburg did was stuff of legend, i dropped $300 on a Stras jersey too,, but Max still had a great year last year--he was 3rd in CYA voting, and very good in the playoffs. His Game 7 performance was insane given the circumstances. 

Plus given how crazy this year is going to be, you want to upset the apple cart as little as possible.

• Like 2

Btw, I think I mentioned that my mom is working Rona hotlines in Miami (she decided to take it up after my cousin died from it).

Told me today how she was helping out this one cat, 17 yo kid that thinks he got it from a pool party. Sounded like death and has permanent scarring over his heart and was scheduled to see a cardiologist.

I Imagine if it was somebody in the MLB, say a hotshot newcomer like Pete Alonso or Soto, that all of a sudden has to retire, it would be absolutely heartbreaking.  I hope these fellas stay safe

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ya know, part of me kinda was hoping there’d be no season so that we’d be the only team raising a banner in 2021. Now that there’s a season, i feel like ours won’t be AS relevant in terms of most recent World Series champ.

But hey, maybe we’ll get lucky and win back to back, in this shortened season. Then we can raise TWO banners once fans are allowed back to the ballparks. Imagine how insanely loud Nats park will be then😮

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ya know, part of me kinda was hoping there’d be no season so that we’d be the only team raising a banner in 2021. Now that there’s a season, i feel like ours won’t be AS relevant in terms of most recent World Series champ.

But hey, maybe we’ll get lucky and win back to back, in this shortened season. Then we can raise TWO banners once fans are allowed back to the ballparks. Imagine how insanely loud Nats park will be then😮

I feel like any 2020 championship is already viewed as less than 2019. That goes for all sports with maybe the exception of the NFL if they pull off a season. 

12 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

We had 3 of the top 15 pitchers last year. 3 legitimate aces.

Having Corbin and Sanchez was the major difference in last year playoff run.  We could never bring Max or Stras out of the pen if we didn't have 2 more legit starters.  I don't think anyone in the org had confidence in Gio or Roark to perform under the lights.  

Gio was a solid if unspectacular pitcher for us...April-September. But playoffs...yeesh...He never made it out of the 5th in any of his playoff starts--including Game 5's in 12 and 17, where we couldn't hold the lead, partly because Gio wouldn't stop walking people.

More to come for sure around the MLB.

This season, if played at all, should just be seen as a half season of exhibition games. Have a short tournament at the end if they want, but no way should there be a team crowned World Series Champion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The season’s not going to happen. Just like the in-person school year for kids is not going to happen.

I get that people want things to be normal and make an effort toward that, but the reality is the virus doesn’t care. You open stuff up, it spreads. You send kids to school, it’s only a matter of time until there’s a significant outbreak in that school. You try to play baseball, your players and coaches risk getting sick. There’s almost no chance they can play baseball for 3 months without at least one team, likely several, having to forfeit their season because their whole team has covid. 

• Like 2