Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

At first I didn't care if the season wasn't at least 81 games long but at this point, I just want baseball. Summer without baseball is just...not right. And we deserve a shot at defending our 'ship.

Don’t disagree w the “want baseball” sentiment but,

wouldn’t the Nats be “and still” as in “to be the man you gotta beat the man (woo)”  if there isn’t a season?

Would suck though to not be able to properly defend as Scherzer/Stras/Zimmerman are not getting any younger.  Also makes for some tricky decision making particularly w regard to Zim 

From BA: Scouting Report: If you were creating the blueprint for an ideal pitcher’s body, Cavalli might look like the end product. A towering, 6-foot-4, 218-pound righthander who looks like an All-American quarterback, Cavalli on paper has everything you’d want to see in a frontline arm. He can dial his fastball up to 98 mph and the pitch sits in the mid-90s with ease. After that, he has a devastating slider in the 87-90 mph range with impressive lateral movement and serves as an out-pitch to both lefties and righties. Next, he has a curveball and a changeup that are solid-average with growth potential. Cavalli throws everything out of a picturesque arm action and delivery as well. While the stuff, delivery and frame are all easy check marks, there are a few question marks. Perhaps because of how clean Cavalli’s operation is, hitters tend to square up his fastball more than the velocity would suggest. Scouts wonder if he has any deception in his delivery. While the fastball has 70-grade velocity, it plays down at least a grade and perhaps more, and he has a history of erratic control that makes it more difficult to work to his secondary offerings. He improved in the strike-throwing department through four starts this spring (just five walks in 23.2 innings) but he’s never posted a WHIP lower than 1.27 in his career and gives up plenty of hits. Additionally, he has a troubling injury history going back to his high school days. He rarely pitched during his senior year because of lingering back issues and also missed time in 2019 due to a stress reaction in his arm. While Cavalli has first-round pure stuff, big upside and one of the better bodies in the 2020 class, he could fall into the second round because of concerns about how that stuff plays, the quality of his strikes and questions about durability. He was trending up prior to the end of the season and never got a chance to put everything together, but enough scouts have seen him synched up in short stints to dream about his future potential.

• Like 1

Scouting reports for the rest of the Nats draft picks, really like the Cole Henry pick.

Cole Henry: 

One of the talented draft-eligible sophomore pitchers in the 2020 class, Henry ranked No. 225 on the BA 500 in 2018, when he showed a fastball up to 97 mph as a high school senior with a big frame to match. Henry has started to fill out that frame in two years with Louisiana State and is now listed at 6-foot-4, 211 pounds. With the increased strength he’s also improved his stuff, most notably a breaking ball that now has plus potential. He still can run his fastball up into the 97 mph range, but sits in the 92-95 mph range more typically, with a two-seam fastball in his arsenal as well. His curveball is a power offering with impressive depth, and he’s also shown feel for a changeup that scouts believe can be plus as well. With plus stuff across the board, Henry has all the pieces to be a frontline arm, but scouts have wanted to see more consistency. When everything’s on at the same time he can be electric, but that happens infrequently because he struggles at times to put hitters away or land his off-speed stuff for strikes. Henry established himself as LSU’s No. 1 weekend starter as a freshman, when he posted a 3.39 ERA over 58.1 innings with 72 strikeouts and 18 walks. He was once again the Friday arm in 2020 through four starts before the season was canceled. In that time, Henry posted a 1.89 ERA over 19 innings with 23 strikeouts and six walks. With sophomore eligibility, Henry could be a tough sign but is solidly a Day One talent.

Sammy Infante

A 6-foot-1, 175-pound shortstop committed to Miami, Infante has a nice collection of above-average tools. Over the summer he showed some glimpses of above-average raw power to the pull side, but his contact was inconsistent as well. He started making improvements this spring and was moving up draft boards before the season was shut down, with plenty of crosscheckers in attendance to watch him play. While Infante might not have a carrying plus tool, he’s above average in many areas including his running ability, arm strength and power. He also has a chance to be an above-average defender, so if a team thinks he can develop into an average hitter then there’s a lot to like in a down year for top-of-the-class prep shortstops. If Infante makes it to campus at Miami, he would be an eligible-sophomore for the 2022 draft.

Holden Powell: 

Powell won the Stopper of the Year Award as college baseball’s best reliever as a sophomore. He was on track for a repeat bid this spring with eight scoreless appearances and a 20-to-2 strikeout-to-walk mark as UCLA’s closer before the season shut down. Evaluators consider Powell arguably the top reliever in the 2020 draft and expect him to move quickly to a major league bullpen. Powell’s fastball ranges from 91-96 mph, sitting 93-94, and he backs it up with a wipeout power slider that draws consistent plus grades. He commands his slider better than his fastball and has had flashes of control problems in the past, but he threw plenty of strikes this spring to alleviate those concerns. Powell has shown the ability to close or pitch multiple innings, giving him multiple pathways to a major league bullpen. He is a pure reliever with no chance of starting, but his stuff and competitive, closer mentality give him a chance to be an impactful late-inning arm.

Brady Linsley (from Jim Callis):

“He’s a catch-and-throw guy. It seems like half the senior signs — they get taken as money savers in a typical draft — feel like they’re catch-and-throw guys who are seniors, good leadership, good makeup, can handle themselves behind the plate ...

“[Lindsly] hasn’t hit a ton at Oklahoma, probably projects more as a backup type, but he’s a type of guy who can come in and handle pitchers and you see where he goes and it looks to me like this is a money saver that they will use to afford the other players that they have taken in this draft.”

Mitchell Parker

As a team, San Jacinto (Texas) JC averaged 13 strikeouts per nine innings, so high strikeout numbers are commonplace for the Gators. But even on a team that collected strikeouts in bunches, Parker stood out. He had 64 strikeouts and 18 walks in 30.1 innings, good for 19 strikeouts per nine innings, to lead all of NJCAA D-I in strikeouts. Parker has a strong lower half and has always had some funkiness to his delivery that makes it hard for hitters to get comfortable swings. Parker sits 89-93 mph with some armside run to his above-average fastball. His fastball has an above-average spin rate—he primarily throws a two-seamer. His big-breaking, slow mid-70s downer curveball plays well with his fastball. He struggles to locate it at times, but when it’s on, it’s a plus pitch. He’s messed with a slider, but it hasn’t really developed. His split functions as his changeup and shows above-average potential with some late fade. Parker is a Kentucky signee.

• Like 1

We are also the favorite to sign the #2 overall International Prospect, per BA:

Armando Cruz
Dominican RepublicSS

Notes:
Born: Jan. 16, 2004. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 165.

Report: The Nationals are expected to sign Cruz, with a bonus likely to be around $4 million. He's a defensive wizard with phenomenal hands and a strong arm, combining the ability to make acrobatic, highlight plays along with the internal clock and game savvy well beyond his years. There's more of a split camp on his offensive potential, but Cruz has a chance to be an elite defensive shortstop. He trains with John Carmona.

• 2 weeks later...

Big part of my time from 2015-2019 was riding the Metro down to Nats Park and watching a baseball game and grabbing bobbleheads to hoard in my house. I am sad I can't do that. I am sad that the Nats will literally be still playing at Nats Park, without fans, and I can't go inside.

60 game season...well that's a hell of a sprint. Probably doesn't help us since we have quite a few guys who tend to take a while to ramp up, but its better then 0.

Probably should wait till next year to raise the banner though since no fans will be allowed in.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Idk, man, looking at some salary cap pages, they are making close to the same now.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Really? Well I dunno.  I think Scherzer's personality probably plays into it a bit too, along with Strasburg.

With Max you'd think that he might bite chunks out of someone if he wasn't the #1 SP, whereas with Strasburg, it seems like he couldn't care less if he was 1, 2 or 3