Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

37 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want an apology from all those asshole takers who said we should have pitched Strasburg until his arm fell off in 2012.  Who called it arrogance to take care of our ****ing player and put his needs above the team.

I hope that goodwill leads him to make the right choice and stick it out with us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've complained about Davey was much as anybody here. But last night he made the right move with Max. I feel like that's something Dusty would have never had done.

Taking one in LA hopefully puts more pressure on them and less on the Nats. I don't know how cool it'll get Sunday night. But maybe cool enough that a lot of HRs will be falling short.

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/stephen-strasburg-in-command-of-his-full-arsenal-puts-the-nats-on-his-back-in-game-2/2019/10/05/5bdc8ce4-e6ed-11e9-b403-f738899982d2_story.html

The old book on Strasburg has been banned from public schools and libraries, blasphemous as it was. The new one has a lead character who has grown, physically, into a monster who has simultaneously developed his body as he’s mastered his craft. He’s a chemistry professor with a double major in psychology who also happens to power lift.

Barry Svrluga.  Poet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I've complained about Davey was much as anybody here. But last night he made the right move with Max. I feel like that's something Dusty would have never had done.

Taking one in LA hopefully puts more pressure on them and less on the Nats. I don't know how cool it'll get Sunday night. But maybe cool enough that a lot of HRs will be falling short.

I'm cool with Max pitching last night

He was most likely wrong to issue an intentional walk, bringing the winning run to the plate. didn't really get a good measure of the move since Hudson decided to not throw strikes immediately after, but on the whole, that move is a bad one in my eyes. We were saved by the doctrine of "all is well that ends well".

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Stras really is like a superhero story. You had the origin, the meteoric rise, but then a bit of a fall with the injuries and questions of toughness. Now you're seeing the older, more grizzled Strasburg(kinda like the Captain America you see in Avengers 2 as opposed to the first Captain America movies).

Reg. the 2012 shutdown, that crap was vindicated a long time ago. I was someone who was actually okay with it at the time. Meanwhile just about all the other young stud Ps who "toughed it out" are now out of baseball. Stras might just be coming into his prime.

7 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

He was most likely wrong to issue an intentional walk, bringing the winning run to the plate. didn't really get a good measure of the move since Hudson decided to not throw strikes immediately after, but on the whole, that move is a bad one in my eyes. We were saved by the doctrine of "all is well that ends well".

No issue with Scherz pitching last night. It was his bullpen session day anyway. He'll be fine for Game 3.

The walk to Muncie was actually okay. We avoid the righty lefty matchup and we avoid the red hot lefty. Will Smith is absolute trash but somehow Corbin got shook and walked him on four straight complete turd pitches. I don't blame Davey for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Yea, I agee.  I was not with the move to intentionally walk a guy to put the winning run at the plate.  BUT all is well that ends well lol Oh & 17 K’s in a 9 inning playoff game = ties all time record.  So there’s that.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Reg. the 2012 shutdown, that crap was vindicated a long time ago. I was someone who was actually okay with it at the time. Meanwhile just about all the other young stud Ps who "toughed it out" are now out of baseball. Stras might just be coming into his prime.

And that's the thing.  This isn't some revisionist history by the Nats fanbase.  I think the vast majority of the fans circled the wagon and supported the FO's decision.  This wasn't even a smart baseball decision issue, it's just the right thing to do

Re walking Muncy, it's just a no man's land.  It's hard to stomach walking the tying run, but how many times have we cried out "why pitch to ______?!?!?!".  I'm just glad it worked out.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Davey channeled his inner Joe Maddon with the intentional walk to Muncy last night. Would have looked a lot better if Hudson sat down Smith quickly to end the game.

Yeah the immediate walk to put the tying run in scoring position was not ideal. But you know really would have sucked? Muncy tying it up with a HR. Was a hugely gutsy call issuing the IBB. Glad it worked, because the second guessing of it would have been brutal if it had not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yeah the immediate walk to put the tying run in scoring position was not ideal. But you know really would have sucked? Muncy tying it up with a HR. Was a hugely gutsy call issuing the IBB. Glad it worked, because the second guessing of it would have been brutal if it had not. 

I don't trust any of our bullpen arms enough to intentionally bring the winning run to the plate. better a game tying homer than a game winning homerun.

of course the best action is to not be in a position where he needs to make such a decision again

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want an apology from all those asshole takers who said we should have pitched Strasburg until his arm fell off in 2012.  Who called it arrogance to take care of our ****ing player and put his needs above the team.

Couldnt they of limited his innings in regular season instead of doing a straight pitch count that kept him out the playoffs when we needed him?  That's like 7 years ago, we jus now advancing in the playoffs the first time, let alone get those rings we were supposed to get protecting him.  We didnt even make the playoffs every year after that.