Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BitCoin falling like a Dotcom

joeken24

Just How Much Money Has Eric Adams Lost by Taking His Mayoral Paychecks in Crypto?

A lot of people have lost a lot of money in cryptocurrency of late, including New York City Mayor Eric Adams. Last November, with Bitcoin peaking close to $69,000 and his inauguration just weeks away, Adams announced a grand plan to not only take his first three paychecks in cryptocurrency, but to make New York City “the center of cryptocurrency.” For a mayor with few legislative priorities, that commitment ranked high on a short list.

On Jan. 21, according to reporting in the Verge, Adams received the first of his biweekly paychecks— $5,900, according to the New York Post—and flowed that money into the crypto exchange Coinbase. Adams’ office confirmed that he did indeed go on to convert three paychecks into cryptocurrency, splitting the money between Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Some back-of-the envelope math gives a rough sense of how much money that decision has cost hizzoner. At time of writing, Bitcoin sits at $16,811.40; Ethereum is $1,229.74. Maybe they’ll have gone up since then; it’s possible, by the time you’re reading this, they’ll be lower still. That means that Adams has lost roughly 53 percent, 60 percent, and 57 percent on his first three paychecks.

Where does that leave us? In good old-fashioned U.S. greenbacks, it means Adams has likely lost just over $10,000 on the stunt, which is a not insignificant amount of his pay. On Friday, he cashed the 24th paycheck of his mayoralty.

I say “likely” in part because the mayor’s office would not confirm whether Adams is still holding onto all that crypto.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

This is the guy that Crypto Bros trusted 😂.

The ones who wouldn’t shut tf up about crypto.

If you aspire to that Learjet and that giant MF yacht you gotta believe, bro.

Who are you gonna trust for solid investment information ... some nay-saying financial stiffs or Matt Damon, Kim Kardashian, Larry David or Tom Brady?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Yeah I'm not sure I'd blame people like him and Larry David for taking the money. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Anyone dumb enough to invest in it is liable for that themselves. 

Tell that to my life savings. I trusted Shaq and now all I have is debt and these ape jpegs.

• Haha 5

This crime makes no sense unless there are tons of scams going on and these people were way more greedy than everyone else.  SBF and Caroline worked at Jane Street quaint trading house where the starting salary out of college is $300k.  Who the heck is giving away money to people like this for the initial investments? 

• 2 weeks later...