Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BitCoin falling like a Dotcom

joeken24

Co-founder of $4 billion crypto fraud scheme gets 20 years in prison, ‘Cryptoqueen’ partner remains at large

The co-founder of the fraudulent OneCoin cryptocurrency, a massive pyramid scheme that amassed more than $4 billion from millions of investors worldwide, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison.

Karl Greenwood, 46, who orchestrated the multibillion-dollar multilevel marketing con, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and money laundering charges.

His partner, Ruja Ignatova, 43, known as the “Cryptoqueen” on the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted list, remains at large, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

Greenwood “operated one of the largest fraud schemes ever perpetrated,” U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a press release.

Click on the link for the full article

29 minutes ago, China said:

Co-founder of $4 billion crypto fraud scheme gets 20 years in prison, ‘Cryptoqueen’ partner remains at large

The co-founder of the fraudulent OneCoin cryptocurrency, a massive pyramid scheme that amassed more than $4 billion from millions of investors worldwide, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison.

Karl Greenwood, 46, who orchestrated the multibillion-dollar multilevel marketing con, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and money laundering charges.

His partner, Ruja Ignatova, 43, known as the “Cryptoqueen” on the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted list, remains at large, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

Greenwood “operated one of the largest fraud schemes ever perpetrated,” U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a press release.

I read a book about her, The Missing Cryptoqueen.  They ain’t gonna find her.

• 1 month later...

Sam Bankman-Fried Trial: Fallen Crypto Mogul Convicted in Collapse That Cost Users Billions

Sam Bankman-Fried, whose FTX cryptocurrency exchange collapsed last year, was found guilty on all seven charges of fraud and conspiracy. Prosecutors said he orchestrated a scheme to steal as much as $10 billion from his users.

Sam Bankman-Fried, the tousle-haired mogul who founded the FTX cryptocurrency exchange, was convicted on Thursday of all seven charges of fraud and conspiracy after a monthlong trial that laid bare the hubris and risk-taking across the crypto industry. These charges carry a maximum sentence of 110 years.

Mr. Bankman-Fried’s sentencing is set for March 28.

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

SEC Charges Kraken for Operating as an Unregistered Securities Exchange, Broker, Dealer, and Clearing Agency

The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Payward Inc. and Payward Ventures Inc., together known as Kraken, with operating Kraken’s crypto trading platform as an unregistered securities exchange, broker, dealer, and clearing agency.

According to the SEC’s complaint, since at least September 2018, Kraken has made hundreds of millions of dollars unlawfully facilitating the buying and selling of crypto asset securities. The SEC alleges that Kraken intertwines the traditional services of an exchange, broker, dealer, and clearing agency without having registered any of those functions with the Commission as required by law. Kraken’s alleged failure to register these functions has deprived investors of significant protections, including inspection by the SEC, recordkeeping requirements, and safeguards against conflicts of interest, among others.

• 3 weeks later...

US gov’t removes two crypto AML rules from national defense bill

The United States government has eliminated two provisions from the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that were designed to address Anti-Money Laundering concerns involving cryptocurrency.

The NDAA is a legislation that authorizes how the country’s defense department can use federal funding. Among the extensive list of provisions removed from the NDAA, two specifically outlined a thorough review system and reporting of crypto activities to combat illicit practices.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Don't look now, but the crypto market has rallied significantly in the last 7-8 months. Bitcoin is over $44,000.

Might be time to sell.  I actually did buy in when it was <40 (cant remember exact amount), but should have bought again when it was at like $20k.  Well at least I didn't lose anything...

35 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Don't look now, but the crypto market has rallied significantly in the last 7-8 months. Bitcoin is over $44,000.

TIME TO GET BACK IN BECAUSE NO WAY IT COULD COMPLETELY COLLAPSE AGAIN RIGHT????

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

TIME TO GET BACK IN BECAUSE NO WAY IT COULD COMPLETELY COLLAPSE AGAIN RIGHT????

Absolutely not. The time to buy was 7-8 months ago. I expect there will be another dip soon to like 34,000 - then maybe time to buy.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Absolutely not. The time to buy was 7-8 months ago. I expect there will be another dip soon to like 34,000 - then maybe time to buy.

Its peak was like $65k, so I think there is some room to grow.

Timing this stuff is a bit of a fools errand

The main issue I have with cryptocurrency is that it is so difficult to cash out on.  For instance, I just cashed out some money from an overseas website (sportsbetting.ag).  Just $150.  They sent it to my Binance account.  That was the easy part.  The hard part is figuring out how to route those funds to my bank account.  It used to be easy, now there are all sort of steps I have to go through, not including the fees which are a pain in the ass.  It basically makes it not worth it to even use cryptocurrency in the first place.

Looks like they got approved 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-sec-approves-some-spot-bitcoin-etfs-2024-01-10/

US SEC approves 11 spot bitcoin ETFs

Reuters

January 10, 20244:40 PM ESTUpdated 3 min ago

Jan 10 (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has approved 11 spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds, including those of Grayscale, Bitwise and Hashdex, according to a statement on Wednesday.

The approval would be a game-changer for bitcoin, offering institutional and retail investors exposure to the world's largest cryptocurrency without directly holding it, and a major boost for a crypto industry beset by a string of scandals.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

They ‘approved’ it because of an appeals court ruling but don’t recommend investors consider it a worthy asset class.

“In a statement, SEC Chair Gensler said that, in light of the court ruling, approving the products was "the most sustainable path forward," but added the agency did not endorse bitcoin, which is risky and volatile.“

23 hours ago, abdcskins said:

The main issue I have with cryptocurrency is that it is so difficult to cash out on.  For instance, I just cashed out some money from an overseas website (sportsbetting.ag).  Just $150.  They sent it to my Binance account.  That was the easy part.  The hard part is figuring out how to route those funds to my bank account.  It used to be easy, now there are all sort of steps I have to go through, not including the fees which are a pain in the ass.  It basically makes it not worth it to even use cryptocurrency in the first place.

Just buy some drugs on the dark web with it and then sell them for cash locally. Easy peasy.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...