Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2019 - D's take VA. Bevin takes L.

Cooked Crack

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Welcome to the liberal shift of suburban America. Thank you President Trump. 😂

Also the amount of gaslighting, I mean come on:

In the Richmond suburbs, Glen Sturtevant, a Republican state senator, called himself “independent minded” in a Twitter threadboasting of times he’d broken with party leadership. In television ads, he says he’s fighting health insurance companies over denying coverage for pre-existing medical conditions and “surprise billing.” But he has opposed Medicaid expansion for years and backed legislation that would have allowed insurers to offer “catastrophic” plans that do not cover pre-existing conditions.

Siobhan Dunnavant, another Republican state senator from outside Richmond, says in an ad that she “supported a federal ban on bump stocks used in mass shootings.” She voted in the State Senate to block a bump stock ban in 2018.

And ads for Randy Minchew, a former Republican delegate aiming to retake his old seat in Loudoun County, northwest of Washington, say he favors “stronger laws to keep guns out of the hands of those who would do us harm.” Mr. Minchew carried an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association in each of his last two campaigns.

Am I reading this right? It looks like Virginia senate district 30 and Virginia house delegate district 45 are incumbents running unopposed?  I want to vote, but what am I voting for exactly if theres no one running against them?  I dont even see an amendment, does anyone else?

@PleaseBlitz arent you in Alexandria area, too?

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Am I reading this right? It looks like Virginia senate district 30 and Virginia house delegate district 45 are incumbents running unopposed?  I want to vote, but what am I voting for exactly if theres no one running against them?  I dont even see an amendment, does anyone else?

@PleaseBlitz arent you in Alexandria area, too?

Yes, in Alexandria.  I'm in Senate Dist. 39/Delegate Dist. 46.  I only have one race with a Republican, the rest are write ins.

Here is my sample ballot:  https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/elections/info/SampleBallot3946.pdf

Here is yours:  https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/elections/info/SampleBallot3045.pdf

You don't have any actual races.  

FWIW, the sole Republican that I have the pleasure of voting against left a flyer on my door yesterday.  Couldn't tell that he was a Republican.  Didn't use the term and all of his "issues" were so generic as to be meaningless.  It appears that in NoVa the issues you want to push if you are a Republican are "fix potholes" and the term "education" without any context or actual proposals.  If you are a Democrat, of course, the issue you want to push is "not a Republican."

I did find this just now though:  https://ivoterguide.com/candidate?elecK=711&raceK=8168&primarypartyk=-&canK=46439 and it appears that Mr. Hillensomething is a bona fide gun nut.  

Affiliations
Fairfax County Republican Committee, Member
Arlington County Republican Committee, Member
National Rifle Association, Benefactor Life Member
Safari Club International, Life Member
Virginia Citizens Defense League, Member

St. John the Baptist, Member
Free And Accepted Masons, 32nd Degree
Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, Member

@Renegade7

I'll just note that, in VA, it's not necessarily just about winning and losing a seat.  VA is likely going to be viewed as a bellwether for the 2020 election cycle, so if Democrats crush in suburban districts, even solid blue ones, that could have the effect of convincing some Republican incumbents to not run for reelection all over the country, thus forfeiting the incumbency advantage, or for good potential R candidates to not enter races.  

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@Renegade7

I'll just note that, in VA, it's not necessarily just about winning and losing a seat.  VA is likely going to be viewed as a bellwether for the 2020 election cycle, so if Democrats crush in suburban districts, even solid blue ones, that could have the effect of convincing some Republican incumbents to not run for reelection all over the country, thus forfeiting the incumbency advantage, or for good potential R candidates to not enter races.  

Ya, I was speaking specific to myself and what I can do as a voter as part of that conversation.  This election tomorrow, not much : /

39 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I never get the point of these ads. When you get your ballot you can see who's Republican and vote accordingly. Maybe if the elections were non partisan it would make sense.

I've been saying for a while party affiliation should not be on the ballot.  Force people to actually learn about a candidate or have no clue which to pick in the booth.  

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've been saying for a while party affiliation should not be on the ballot.  Force people to actually learn about a candidate or have no clue which to pick in the booth.  

On the condition they actually make clear what they want to do.  I typically dont vote in regards to school board because I cant find what they plan is or how it's that much different from anyone else's.  The lower the local position, the worse this gets.

My rule since 2008 has been not to vote for someone unless I know what they plan to do, D or not. In 2008, I got a pamphlet showing all the black candidates running, and didnt differentiate between D and R, it bothered the hell out of me.  The only expection I made was in a recent Portsmouth mayor election where the incumbent was corrupt as hell and I voted for the only dem that wasnt in his administration acting like they never knew the guy.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is solving for a problem that doesn’t exist. Pretty much every Republican in a swing Virginia district is outright lying and embellishing their past voting record this cycle. While the nerdiest of them all will deep google the **** out of some candidates, most people won’t due to time constraints and there’s nothing wrong with that.

The R next to their name lets everyone know that this person is completely full of ****.

In case people have forgotten how important this election is for Virginia. Get out there and Vote Blue. We can't let the Republicans have control of the redistricting process again. We just finally got the maps changed from the racial gerrymandering they did last time.

Both national parties are closely watching the outcome in Virginia, the only state in the country where the legislature could change hands, for clues about the 2020 presidential contest. An unprecedented amount of cash has flooded the commonwealth, which has no limits on campaign donations.

All 140 seats in the General Assembly are on the ballot, but much of the battle is focused on suburban districts in Northern Virginia, Richmond and Hampton Roads.

Republicans are defending thin majorities of 20-19 in the state Senate and 51-48 in the House of Delegates, with one vacancy in each chamber. If Democrats can take control, they could consolidate power for the first time in 26 years and work with Gov. Ralph Northam to enact legislation long blocked by Republicans.

Those include gun control, protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation, a higher minimum wage and passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. As the only former Confederate state that went for Hillary Clinton in 2016, and with its urban and suburban areas becoming increasingly diverse, Virginia is seen by Democrats as an important place to plant the flag against Trump’s Republican Party.

What’s more, whoever controls the General Assembly will oversee redistricting after next year’s Census — influencing politics for a decade to come.

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I never get the point of these ads. When you get your ballot you can see who's Republican and vote accordingly. Maybe if the elections were non partisan it would make sense.

Exactly.  Like I said, I got a flyer a few days ago from the Republican running in my district, and it seriously could have come from a Democrat.  No mention of his party, only vague references to his priorities being traffic and education.

I took the time to do the research because I am a nerd, and guess what, he's a hard-right, Trump-loving Republican.  So the flyer was intended to be 100% misleading.  Which is a pretty craven thing to do to try and trick people to vote for you based on untruths.  If you can't win based on what you actually believe, then maybe don't run?  Asshole. 

I should have just saved myself the 10 minutes of research and just waited until i got to the booth and saw the R.  

Here a link to a website that had this candidate fill out a questionnaire about his positions.  https://ivoterguide.com/candidate?elecK=711&raceK=8168&primarypartyk=-&canK=46439.  Many references to his opposition to government helping people or regulating business, his Christianity, his love of firearms, and contempt for people that aren't straight and cisgender.  

I voted across the board democrat. None of my local republicans would speak against trump. At best you get some sort of “this is local politics” defense and while usually I would accept that, I feel it is different with trump. 

not happy about it but there needs to be some serious course correction before I will   entertain someone calling themselves a republican wanting responsibility again. 

18 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Higgins isn’t running ads but his opponent is, branding Higgins as a dangerous Trump Republican. Must’ve seen that.

I saw a Higgins ad going after his opponent for not going after some other guy who did something f'd up. I forget the details now. If VA could turn dark blue, that would be awesome because the ads in the DC market would be much fewer moving forward. 

On 11/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Someone missed the memo that Virginia has had a Democratic governor since 2013. I really wished this ****boy would have had a rally in VA.

He was just in Va in late July for the Jamestown 400(?) yr anniversary.  

Pence was in VB last week stumping for the 2 R candidates.

My election was a big nothing burger but did get to vote against a delegate that I’ve had my sights for awhile.  Let’s just say, we’ve met.  But he’ll probably still win.

Sheriff race, meh.  All 3 good ol boys from inside the SO.

And school board.  Yeah, the guy who will win is my neighbor.....he would be the quintessential “harmless lil fella” just staying busy in retirement

Archived