Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Buccaneers Prediction Thread: Is This The Countdown To Meltdown?

skins island connection

Who wins the game?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the battle in Tampa Bay?

• Washington Redskins
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • The extremely unlikely chance of a tie

8 hours ago, Morneblade said:

For the last several weeks, I've been trying to post the opposite of what I want to see, in hopes it would help. It worked for a bit (or, realistically, I was lucky)

Then Sunday happened. Now, I'm back to feeling very uninspired by the teams future for this season. So this week, I'm being serious. Although it's going to sound like every other week up to this point. :kickcan:

"Well, Sunday we got steam rolled by a Falcons team that had a crappy defense and a explosive offense.

Steamrolled, as in loosing by 24 points, was out of the game by the beginning of the 2nd quarter, and adding injury to insult, we lost our 2 starting Guards and our most productive WR for the season.

This week, we're going up against a even more explosive offense. They are first in passing yards and 2nd in TD's

We're gonna get raw dogged in this one. Fitzmagic is gonna go all White Wizard on us and make us look like a Balrog. This is the beginning of the end to any hope the team has of a winning record. top 10 pick, here we come.

Bucs - 48

'Skins - 6

Hopkins wins the Kia MVP award. Because somebody has to."

He kids he kids....we haven't had any productive wide receivers all year lol doohhhh..

It's not good to lose both of your guards but it shouldn't be the end of the world either see Vikings and if I recall weren't the Flacons down two guards against us?  Ty is no Trent but he's good enough.  In short, I am not throwing in the towel for the season.

To me ironically this is Jay's Code Red game Part 2.  The first one ironically was the 2015 Tampa game. And by that I don't mean this is the critical one as to the team's record.  But Tampa is really the perfect test to see what this team is made of.  Atlanta and NO with bad defenses and explosive offenses boat raced us.

Tampa is the weak cousin of NO and Atlanta and their defense is horrendous.  And if the new be all and end all is not turning the ball over -- then we should have no problem at all with this team.  We don't turn the ball over and Tampa turns it over like crazy.   If we lose to this team my positive outlook about the team goes away because it will mean to me that any team that has some explosion with their passing game and take this team out.  And I do think a loss here is a momentum killer just by the nature of the opponent and a perceived vulnerability to explosive passing teams where it comes off that we can't counter punch to in spite of their weak defenses.

And as to Alex's and Jay's separate comments that allude to how difficult it is in the NFL to come back.  Don't tell that to Fitzpatrick -- its a feisty team that doesn't go into a shell when they get behind.  So if they jump on them and build a lead, don't sit on it.

Now, that I unloaded my angst.  I'll say Redskins 24-Tampa 21.  My optimism might be colored by me taking a long drive and watching that game with my kids.  I'd hate witnessing a game that might send the team spiraling the other way -- I was at that type of game last year, the NOs one.

My hope is that Peterson runs mad and takes over.  And the defense plays mad after being undressed by 2 other pass happy teams from the NFC South. Here's test #3 on that count.

With the injuries piling up, this is going to force Smith's hand.  no more sitting back in the pocket; if he is to have any success at all, he will have to bootleg boogie all day, but then the other problem is who will he throw to? Davis has been all but invisible most of this season, and I'm not expecting the WRs to amass more than 4 catches combined in the entire game.

This is a desperate Bucs team, they need a win badly so they're in the same boat at the Falcons were, so I'm expecting the same type of pattern to happen in this game; they try to get up 14 or 21 early and force Smith to come back, which we all know he won't.

I've got a baaad, feeling about this game.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

With the injuries piling up, this is going to force Smith's hand.  no more sitting back in the pocket; if he is to have any success at all, he will have to bootleg boogie all day, but then the other problem is who will he throw to? Davis has been all but invisible most of this season, and I'm not expecting the WRs to amass more than 4 catches combined in the entire game.

This is a desperate Bucs team, they need a win badly so they're in the same boat at the Falcons were, so I'm expecting the same type of pattern to happen in this game; they try to get up 14 or 21 early and force Smith to come back, which we all know he won't.

The weird thing is Jordan Reed is MIA.  He is our best pass catcher typically.    Heard Crowder might be back.   I think this is in theory is the toughest game pass catcher wise for the season unless Reed gets hurt later on.   Saying this because I think Quinn is eligible to come back next week.  And Crowder and Thompson are likely back then, too.  I still think Peterson is they key guy to stay healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The weird thing is Jordan Reed is MIA.  He is our best pass catcher typically. 

Is he? Looks like he's the clear leader in targets (53 vs the next best at 35) and yards (340, lol) 

Read yesterday that the team is 5th worst in YAC this season. QB accuracy plays a part, sure, though I don't remember seeing much YAC on most receptions from anyone. Isn't Jay's system WCO? 

Smith needs to come out next weekend firing deep and decisively (before the pass rush kills him in 1.8 seconds or less). May as well just go wild chuck it bro, for the most part. Quick PA, and let it loose, good or bad. They won't likely get much on the ground anyway. Need moar go and wheel routes to the TEs. 

41 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Is he? Looks like he's the clear leader in targets (53 vs the next best at 35) and yards (340, lol) 

Read yesterday that the team is 5th worst in YAC this season. QB accuracy plays a part, sure, though I don't remember seeing much YAC on most receptions from anyone. Isn't Jay's system WCO? 

Smith needs to come out next weekend firing deep and decisively (before the pass rush kills him in 1.8 seconds or less). May as well just go wild chuck it bro, for the most part. Quick PA, and let it loose, good or bad. They won't likely get much on the ground anyway. Need moar go and wheel routes to the TEs. 

Is he?  Yes at least in terms of Jordan Reed.  Reed when he's played and healthy can take over games.  You saw on Sunday how Vernon Davis had some flashes.  Jordan was like that on a regular basis when he was right.  Last time he was healthy where he was playing every game, (2015) he averaged 68 yards per game then.   

He's averaging 42 yards a game now.  In 2015, he just dominated some games including the playoff clinching one against the Eagles.  In a limited season, the year after, he still had flashes like that.  I've not seen a Jordan domination game, yet this season.  When he was right, he was talked about as one of the best TEs in the league.  Not heard that this season.  NFL stats guy, Warren Sharp, talked about this on the air on 106.7 the other day.   Not that I needed to hear it from him -- its obvious if you watched Jordan closely over the years. 

But agree with your point about YAC.  These guys aren't YAC guys.  Garcon who they had years ago was a big time YAC guy.  Harris seems to be emerging as the top receiver but he's not a YAC guy.   That's part of the reason why I think getting Thompson healthy is key -- he's a big time YAC guy.  Granted he's a pass catching RB.  But as for the receivers -- Crowder can be a YAC guy when he's right.  But he's not been right.

When all these injuries happened almost the same way to a tee last year -- including Reed in and out of the lineup.  Thompson eventually out for the season.  O line in shambles.  Vernon Davis had a string of games where he emerged as a go to weapon or so it seemed at least in key drives.  Maybe that happens again?

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In 2015, he just dominated some games including the playoff clinching one against the Eagles.  In a limited season, the year after, he still had flashes like that.  I've not seen a Jordan domination game, yet this season. 

I hear that... though in 2015, he had guys like Garcon and DJack, which as you know.. opens up plenty for TEs. With the TEs as the only legit threats in 2018, Reed is bound to be getting extra attention.. which would help explain his pitiful yac numbers. 

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Do we have a corner who can beat djax in a foot race?

Not sure if serious gif. ? 

At DJack's age.. dunno, think he's slowing down? Off top of head, I think of Moreau having 4.3 Combine speed. DJack just so deceptively smooth though, right? Shrugs. 

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I hear that... though in 2015, he had guys like Garcon and DJack, which as you know.. opens up plenty for TEs. With the TEs as the only legit threats in 2018, Reed is bound to be getting extra attention.. which would help explain his pitiful yac numbers. 

Sure, that could be the reason.  Could be his toes too which some say still aren't 100% and he's lost some explosion for now. 

I recall some insiders saying that the FO believed Crowder is the best receiver on the team and we will see him emerge as a #1 guy with Garcon and D. Jax gone.  Some observers questioned that saying that Crowder and Reed are made to look better because of Garcon and more importantly D. Jax because they make the safeties shade their way, making it easier for the underneath guys.

D. Hall said as a corner a guy like D. Jax frightens you more than any type of player because its a night mare to get burned deep so you play deep, more off coverage, free safety shades to D. Jax's side of the field, etc.  Jay himself once said even when D. Jax doesn't make plays just his presence on the field makes every one better. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall some insiders saying that the FO believed Crowder is the best receiver on the team and we will see him emerge as a #1 guy with Garcon and D. Jax gone. 

Would be so welcomed. At this point, tbh, I am forgetting all about Crowder. He's a myth... similar to Eric Berry of the Chiefs, these days. ? 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

that Crowder and Reed are made to look better because of Garcon and more importantly D. Jax because they make the safeties shade their way, making it easier for the underneath guys.

Right. This was what I was alluding to. You know how it goes. Great WRs outside open up so much for the others. Even just having one stud WR as a legit deepster outside opens up so much. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is he?  Yes at least in terms of Jordan Reed.  Reed when he's played and healthy can take over games.  You saw on Sunday how Vernon Davis had some flashes.  Jordan was like that on a regular basis when he was right.  Last time he was healthy where he was playing every game, (2015) he averaged 68 yards per game then.   

He's averaging 42 yards a game now.  In 2015, he just dominated some games including the playoff clinching one against the Eagles.  In a limited season, the year after, he still had flashes like that.  I've not seen a Jordan domination game, yet this season.  When he was right, he was talked about as one of the best TEs in the league.  Not heard that this season.  NFL stats guy, Warren Sharp, talked about this on the air on 106.7 the other day.   Not that I needed to hear it from him -- its obvious if you watched Jordan closely over the years. 

But agree with your point about YAC.  These guys aren't YAC guys.  Garcon who they had years ago was a big time YAC guy.  Harris seems to be emerging as the top receiver but he's not a YAC guy.   That's part of the reason why I think getting Thompson healthy is key -- he's a big time YAC guy.  Granted he's a pass catching RB.  But as for the receivers -- Crowder can be a YAC guy when he's right.  But he's not been right.

When all these injuries happened almost the same way to a tee last year -- including Reed in and out of the lineup.  Thompson eventually out for the season.  O line in shambles.  Vernon Davis had a string of games where he emerged as a go to weapon or so it seemed at least in key drives.  Maybe that happens again?

I think the YAC issue is the QB. Alex has been terrible with ball placement.

10 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Reed got YAC last year, under worse conditions. The difference is the QB.

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Not sure if serious gif. ? 

At DJack's age.. dunno, think he's slowing down? Off top of head, I think of Moreau having 4.3 Combine speed. DJack just so deceptively smooth though, right? Shrugs. 

DJAX is faster than anyone on the team. DJax has the 8th fast run of anyone in the NFL this year according to NFL.com. If he's slowing down, I'm Bill Gates.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Agree..they are going to have to put Alex on his wheels with roll outs and passes to Thompson with occasional WR sideline outs. The run isn't going to be there.

Gruden HAS to change up with the OL like it is. He should have used roll outs and screens more often...14 points sucks..

WTF with all those injuries?? Every Year???

5 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Gruden HAS to change up with the OL like it is. He should have used roll outs and screens more often...14 points sucks..

Giving up 28 points in just over half of a game sucks even more.

The Bucs are a poor man's Falcons. They have no run game, but a very good pass game. Fitz makes mistakes and I'm hoping the loss to the Falcons gives us a wake-up call like the Saints did.

31-23 Skins. 

Fitzpatrick connects with Jackson early and makes a fool out of our "unstoppable" new secondary.

Jay responds by trying to run Peterson through a duct tape o-line.  

12 3-and-outs later, he'll tell reporters he has to "check the tape" to see what went wrong.

Bucs 31

Redskins 10

Archived