Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

I think saying he nearly ended his career is an unnecessary overreaction, but yea, absolutely no reason that Zion should be forced to play for free for a year, given not only the threat of injury, but the loss of that year's potential income of several million dollars, so that he can be exploited by the NCAA and it's corporate masters.  

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

What's stopping him from playing in Europe for pay for a year?

Same thing that's stopping him from just sitting out for a year.  It would hurt his draft stock (and not remove the threat of injury).  The money isn't great either.  Last years #1 NBA pick signed a 2 year deal worth about $18 million.  The HIGHEST paid guy in europe is working on a contract with an annual value of $3 million.  

It looks like the NBA is ready to end one and done.  We will see if this comes to fruition. I don’t know how contentious labor negotiations are between the NBA and the union though. 

NBA officially proposes lowering draft age from 19 to 18 -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

37 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nothing.  But that drops his exposure by about 99.44%.

Freak like that from North Carolina?  I think Sports Center would make room.  Players that can play pro shouldn't be in college, like to see bracket with nothing but athletes who arent going to play professionally.  I already don't know who they are gone before I get a chance to.

One and done is downright unAmerican. In any other industry if a company wants to offer an 18 year old with a unique set of skills a ton of money, they have that right.

You're telling me 18 year olds are mature enough to fight wars but not mature enough to play a game for a living? Come on.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

One and done is downright unAmerican. In any other industry if a company wants to offer an 18 year old with a unique set of skills a ton of money, they have that right.

You're telling me 18 year olds are mature enough to fight wars but not mature enough to play a game for a living? Come on.

NFL. 

18 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Freak like that from North Carolina?  I think Sports Center would make room.  Players that can play pro shouldn't be in college, like to see bracket with nothing but athletes who arent going to play professionally.  I already don't know who they are gone before I get a chance to.

Because maybe dropping an 18 year old American into Spain to play with a bunch of chain-smoking 35 year old Europeans in a game with different rules that is occasionally played in iffy facilities isn't such a great idea either.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Because maybe dropping an 18 year old American into Spain to play with a bunch of chain-smoking 35 year old Europeans in a game with different rules that is occasionally played in iffy facilities isn't such a great idea either.

It's a mess, you've pointed that out and I agree with you.  Can they make more or develop better in g-league? Guess we bout to find out, that's what I want for them, because current college basketball model does neither for players that are already professionals playing at amateur level.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, Redskin4ever said:

It looks like the NBA is ready to end one and done.  We will see if this comes to fruition. I don’t know how contentious labor negotiations are between the NBA and the union though. 

NBA officially proposes lowering draft age from 19 to 18 -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

I think removing the one-and-done instantly improves the college game too. I enjoy watching the teams who have tenured players and stick together for 3-4 years anyway. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think removing the one-and-done instantly improves the college game too. I enjoy watching the teams who have tenured players and stick together for 3-4 years anyway. 

I'm reading that differently. As in the NBA is going to allow younger guys to join the league again. 

That doesn't help the college game. 

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

I'm reading that differently. As in the NBA is going to allow younger guys to join the league again. 

I think it does. It reduces the talent for sure. But I enjoy watching the studs play in the NBA and seeing great TEAMS play in college. Give me a Witchita State or a 1990s Duke type of team over Carmelo Anthony winning a title in his one year in college. 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

@PleaseBlitzI had high hopes for Huggy and WVU this year. What happened. 

I don't think I've ever seen WVU miss the NCAA tournament but it is a reality! 😬

Yea, it's been a disappointing year.  First, our heart and soul from our very good team last year graduated, particularly Jevon Carter who was All-Big 12 and the best defender in the country. Second, the guy that was supposed to be our best player this year, Sags Konate, got hurt early.  The only guy that can consistently make outside shots has had a litany of injuries since the preseason and is now done for the year.  Our only 2 remaining upperclassmen broke some unspecified rules so Huggs literally kicked them off the team because he is done ****ing around.  So we've been playing a ton of freshman and we can't press because they don't know what the **** they are doing.  So, pretty much everything that can go wrong has gone wrong.  

Huggs will fix it.  The freshman who didn't know **** to start the year are starting to show some signs of competence, we have one freshman big man that is physically dominant but needs to learn how to play (he had 20 pts and 20 rebounds last night), plus we have a 5 star guy coming in that picked WVU over Kentucky and is enrolling early.  

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I don't think getting rid of the one and done's in college basketball will hurt the game all that much at all.  The college game was fine before 2006 when the NBA created that rule.  Only two teams have one national championships while loaded with one and done players (Kentucky in 2012 and Duke in 2015).  

The NBA was just using the NCAA as a free developmental league where they could get a better look at the top straight outta high school prospects to make sure they weren't busts.  And I could really care less about a bunch of billionaires whiffing on a player that turns out to be a bust.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

VT fans storming the court after beating Duke is so lame. Act like you've been there before. You're Virginia freaking Tech, a major national program, not Central Montana State.

Yes, they are a college basketball powerhouse........oh wait :rofl89:

The furthest they have advanced in the NCAA tournament was the elite 8.......back in 1967

Let the kids have some fun man.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

VT fans storming the court after beating Duke is so lame. Act like you've been there before. You're Virginia freaking Tech, a major national program, not Central Montana State.

Barely anyone rushed the court because it's a steep drop from the student section to the floor 

Archived