Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Also bear in mind that Kirk threw a soul-crushing, game ending pick against GB but got let off the hook due to the worst roughing the passer call in league history.

We could play that game all day, though.  Hell, Alex had three of his passes dropped by the defense in the falcons game alone.

10 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Again, barely higher TO rate.  If you want to keep acting like he is 18 TO ahead of Alex so you can sleep better at night, go for it.  Kirk has everything else in his favor as well, but that too will be ignored by you as usual.  Again, what ever makes you feel better.  Keep chanting "All Cousins's does it turn it over."  I'm sure you can create a celebratory dance to go along with it.

It is actual 2045 yards.  I fixed it.  The typo still doesn't take away the facts of the matter, but don't let that stop you from your spin!

Dude, Alex Smith has not lost 6 fumbles this season.  He has lost only one if I’m not mistaken to go with 3 INTs.  Compared to Cousins losing 6 fumbles and 5 INTs.  That means Cousins has turned the ball over 7 more times than Smith.  That is a lot.  If Smith turned it over as much as Cousins I can virtually guarantee that the Redskins are not 6-3 right now.  ??

I'm assuming Cousins has a lot attempts than Smith and he is also throwing to AT (whom just set a record for consecutive 100 yard games) and SD. They are both way better than anything we have here at WR be a wide margin. It always seems Cousins compounds his turnovers by having them at the worst possible time. Personally, i think Cousins is the better player but I didn't want him at 28mil per year. I also can't say where this team would be if Cousins were the QB this year. Probably 6-3. Who knows if we would be committed to getting AP 20 touches if Cousins were the QB. The Vikes seem to think that since they paid him 28mil they have to have him throw the ball 40+ times to justify the salary and they abandon the run. Maybe we'd be doing the same thing. 

Im ok with Alex Smith instead of Cousins.

48 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I agree completely... and Jay should be having constant conversations with Smith with the intention to get better... but he also needs to look at himself and ask if he's doing everything he needs to be doing to put the team in the best position to be successful.  Alex needs to be better, and Jay needs to be putting Alex in position to be better. 

Agree. I dont know why we dont roll it out more and run some deep/intermediate crossers. Dude can hit those. 

I can hit those lol. 

1 minute ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Personally, i think Cousins is the better player

Completely cool with that, but to touch on your comment of Diggs and Thielen, have to take that duo over EVERY SINGLE available or not weapon that Washington has. I mean, even as a 2 player for a dozen swap. LOL

3 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Do you watch football?  Better yet, do you understand it?

Do you pal? I sure as hell don't think so the way you post here. 

I know, dumb questions.  The "trash" y0u post shows the answers are emphatically no's. I know this is hard for you to understand, and it may take you a few days to figure it out, but 2018 teams aren't the same as 2017 teams.

I swear you are to me like a mosquito floating around buzzing and annoying as hell. You add nothing to any conversation but post cause you like to hear yourself talk. I already told you what I think of your opinions. You are like the RG3 truthers from years ago. You see nothing good with Alex Smith, not the teams record, not the good plays he makes, you see nothing at all good about this guy. Why? Because you wished that Kirk was still here. Waaaa Boohoo. Why you crying still about that? Why don't you go watch the Vikings instead of posting here all this negative crap all the time? 

The Vikings defense is nothing like it was last year, nor it's running game. Last year they had a top three defense; this year it hasn't been close. Neither the defense nor the running game have anything to do with Kirk. The defense is getting back to itself, though, so it might get interesting quickly.  To this point the Vikings have on the majority of their games BECAUSE of Kirk Cousins

This is typical of you. And typical of you because you are WRONG as usual. Break down the Vikings:

Vikings Defense -

Passing DVOA in 2017 was Ranked 4 versus Passing DVOA in 2018 Ranked 10th

Rushing DVOA in 2017 was Ranked 6 versus Rushing DVOA in 2018 Ranked 6th

They were top 10 in the league Defensively both last season and this season.  

As for them Offensively 

Offensive Ranking in 2018 they are 29th rushing the football. In 2017 they were 18th

They are rushing it worse this season however look at the two seasons when it comes to throwing the football

Offensive Ranking in 2018 they are 17th throwing the football. In 2017 they were 3rd. 

Kirk Cousins is leading the 17th ranked DVOA passing attack. This was the 3rd ranked unit last season. 

So much for the Kirk Cousins is God factor theory

As for Kirk being "why they win this year" you haven't paid any attention to this. 

164 passing yards 1 TD: http://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401030822

233 passing yards 1 TD 1 INT: http://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401030742

301 passing yards 1 TD: http://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401030803

The Redskins defense and running games have been worlds better this season than last season due to some off season pick ups and the health of the players. They are winning because of those two aspects, along with some good ST play.  They are winning IN SPITE of Alex Smith.

Wrong about good ST play - When was the last time they even had a return? Wrong about Alex. Wrong about pickups. Wrong about pretty much all the nonsense you post. Stop responding to me with all of this wrong crap 

11 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

We could play that game all day, though.  Hell, Alex had three of his passes dropped by the defense in the falcons game alone.

We could also play the “11 turnovers are only marginally higher than 3 turnovers” game all day, too.  But that would be the saddest waste of time anyone could imagine.

Let’s aim higher.

#whatwouldalexdo

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

You don’t think our record would be worse if we had drafted Ridley over Payne?  That’s a surprising take, IMO.    

My point wasn't that we didn't need a run stuffing linemen we most certainly did. My point was that we needed that AND a pass catching receiver.

I was hoping they signed Jonathan Hankins in FA and drafted receiver. They went the other way signing P Rich and drafting Payne. I wasn't a fan of P Rich because of his lengthy injury history. I wasn't a fan of drafting DL because of the price they go for in free agency. Good ones are cheap as FA's, where as good WR's are incredibly expensive. So if I was running the show we would have had Hankins and Ridley. The cost for Hankins was hella cheap only a couple million a season. 

The record probably would have been the same. I think Hankins is a good run stuffer but also don't think that Ridley would be enough to keep them in games against the Falcons or Saints. 

I Really feel like Alex will hit his stride soon.  I was SUPER impressed with how the line held up yesterday.  I think that if they can do a good job protecting then Alex will step up.  I can see Alex starting to build up some trust in Doctson and Harris.  Even Floyd.  We get Crowder back and we could really get this offense moving.  Call me an optimist but I think were close.  

8 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

The stats aren't that much different.

And honestly, we're winning games. And We're not turning the ball over. 

Do I want better? Of course. I think he can improve.

Dude, those stats are night and day. You might want to look at them again.

21 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

It is actual 2045 yards.  I fixed it.  The typo still doesn't take away the facts of the matter, but don't let that stop you from your spin!

No the facts are that the Vikings passing game this year has the biggest change between the Vikings 2017 and 2018 season and its a NEGATIVE change with ya boi Kurt. What your saying is not the truth about that team. The truth is Case Keenum was doing better for the Vikings then Kirk Cousins is doing with the same offense. Now you spin on that. Kirk was a turnover machine here and he's a turnover machine there. Same stuff different toilet. 

7 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I Really feel like Alex will hit his stride soon.  I was SUPER impressed with how the line held up yesterday.  I think that if they can do a good job protecting then Alex will step up.  I can see Alex starting to build up some trust in Doctson and Harris.  Even Floyd.  We get Crowder back and we could really get this offense moving.  Call me an optimist but I think were close.  

I agree and he was running more yesterday. The more chunks he picks up with his feet the better the season will be for him. Started at the bottom now we here. Only way to go is up

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And you might wanna look at the Vikings passing game in 2017 versus the 2018 game. They paid this man a 90 million dollar guarantee for what? A loss of 14 spots in DVOA this year...money well spent to you?

At least the Redskins paid for one of the top records in the league today, and a two game division lead. 

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

@Guardshock - I appreciate the stats - but your idea of not much different and my idea are themselves quite different. I am giving Alex more benefit of the doubt though and making this Kirk last year vs. Alex this year. It's not perfect but it's at least closer. 

Here are the numbers for Alex and Kirk - Kirk 2017 and Alex 2018. 

Oddly enough the numbers came together a little. Comp % got closer. QBr got closer. TD differential the same. 

Overall, Kirk has 7 more TDs (4 passing and 2 rushing) but he also has 5 more TOs - 2 more int and 3 more lost fumbles. he also has 4 more sacks but that's not a big difference to me. 

I will post the 2018 to 2018 later. At work and do not have time right now. 

image.thumb.png.89efe9680e769b86db2cfc386296c4b0.png

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Wrong about good ST play - When was the last time they even had a return? Wrong about Alex. Wrong about pickups. Wrong about pretty much all the nonsense you post. Stop responding to me with all of this wrong crap 

Your right, Tress Way has done nothing to help this team with his knack for pinning teams within their own 20, nor has Hopkins, even though he's the team's leading scorer.  Our Special Teams just suck. 

Also, you're right, we didn't pick anyone up this off season to help improve our running game and defense.  Adrian Peterson has just been sitting on our bench for years along with Bibbs. We didn't draft any great players like Payne to upgrade our D-line, or Stroman who is coming around to help our secondary, and the other 37 transactions didn't take place this off season.  It's all nonsense.

Just like Alex Smith is really hitting all of those deep balls and isn't leaving plays and points on the field every week.  That wide open pass to Davis was a thing of beauty yesterday.  He isn't double and triple pumping to the point where his receivers can't stay opened or taking unnecessary sacks or running out of bounds to stop the clock to save the Cowboys a timeout at the end of three-point game or dancing with happy feet in the pocket or looking like a deer in highlights.  

You're so right; I'm so wrong about all of that.  It never happened.  I'm only imagining it because you think I can't get over Kirk.  What would any of us do around here without you constantly telling us what we think and what we believe and how wrong we are?  We're all just posting nonsense while you post such insightful, fact filled posts and you've never been wrong, as you actually said in a post yesterday.  You're so right and factual that I and the others that call out your bull**** shouldn't respond to you with our "wrong crap." Give me a break!!! 

HAHAHAHA!  You are ridiculous!!!

For this team and the type of offense we're playing, Smith is a better fit. This is a weak 6-3 team and could not overcome turnovers that come w/ Cousins under center. There is no margin for error w/ this offense that couldn't get over 20 points against a terrible defense. Even w/ the d giving them 4 turnovers the offense still could not move the ball.  Kirk is a better QB but not for this kind of team. 

2 minutes ago, Alexa said:

For this team and the type of offense we're playing, Smith is a better fit. This is a weak 6-3 team and could not overcome turnovers that come w/ Cousins under center. There is no margin for error w/ this offense that couldn't get over 20 points against a terrible defense. Even w/ the d giving them 4 turnovers the offense still could not move the ball.  Kirk is a better QB but not for this kind of team. 

Very well put.  Totally agree.  Turnovers hurt the team more then TD passes help your team.  

The Bucs scored 3 points yesterday and had 4 turnovers and it was a 6-3 game in the 4th quarter. They have the worst defense in the league. 

It doesn't matter if you never turn the ball over if you can't score. A team just put up 500 yards of offense on us and only scored 3 points, something that has never happened before. It's not sustainable. 

I'm cringing reading these Ricky Bobby style comments about Alex being a winning machine. This debate has become so ridiculous. 

32 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We could also play the “11 turnovers are only marginally higher than 3 turnovers” game all day, too.  But that would be the saddest waste of time anyone could imagine.

Let’s aim higher.

#whatwouldalexdo

As was said earlier, a lot of that is due to luck.  The fact is that Alex Smith has put the ball on the ground in DB's hands a lot more than many try to pretend, so his ball protection isn't nearly as good as some tend to make it out to be. We've just been very lucky about it to this point.  I'm sure you know that luck like that will run out, so if he doesn't get better, even the defense and running games won't be able to bail him out.

6 minutes ago, Alexa said:

That margin of error grows when you score more points. Kirk scores, Alex Doesn't Also, Kirk for the amount of drop back, really hasn't turned the ball over anymore than Smith.

6 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

The Bucs scored 3 points yesterday and had 4 turnovers and it was a 6-3 game in the 4th quarter. They have the worst defense in the league. 

It doesn't matter if you never turn the ball over if you can't score. A team just put up 500 yards of offense on us and only scored 3 points, something that has never happened before. It's not sustainable. 

I'm cringing reading these Ricky Bobby style comments about Alex being a winning machine. This debate has become so ridiculous. 

Thank you!  You said it perfectly!

Ok, here is the final, Kirk 2017 - Kirk 2018 - Alex - 2018. 

Kirk is quickly putting some distance between himself and Alex in pure numbers. Greater than 7% in comp % - 7 more TOs - We could probably have an entire thread on why Kirk loses more fumbles. For me, I think it's how he holds the ball and a little less awareness. But there is also just bad luck. But in fairness he also has only 1 less fumble than all last year and 2 more of them lost. Not helping his team there. He is deepening distance in terms of atts.

On the positive side for Kirk, he has 9 more TDs: 7 more passing and and 2 more rushing. There is a good delta between the ratings - 102 to 90. Sacks are fairly close, especially if you consider the greater number of drop backs for Kirk. 

Not sure what it tells us, especially in terms of anything new. But here is the data. 

image.thumb.png.ccf5791d451fe818e7d72d3d4dc41586.png

55 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Your right, Tress Way has done nothing to help this team with his knack for pinning teams within their own 20, nor has Hopkins, even though he's the team's leading scorer.  Our Special Teams just suck. 

See yall this is why I said Taylor36 is a mosquito...What I said was when was the last time there was a punt return worth a damn and he responds with something about the punter. Aint no use in talking with him. He is gonna spin things however he wants to be argumentative and add nothing to this conversation other then to try and bring everyone down to his level

Also, you're right, we didn't pick anyone up this off season to help improve our running game and defense.  Adrian Peterson has just been sitting on our bench for years along with Bibbs. We didn't draft any great players like Payne to upgrade our D-line, or Stroman who is coming around to help our secondary, and the other 37 transactions didn't take place this off season.  It's all nonsense.

And no where did I ever say any of that. Those are things you trying to put in my mouth and want me to argue against the BS you said and not things I said. You and your negativity need to find another target, that crap you did right there will be called out for what it is, complete crap. That's what I see in most of your posts. Half truths and crap. 

Thank you for one thing. Me posting what the Vikings DVOA passing wise is between last year and this year has shut you up about Kirk. The Vikings passing game has suffered with Kirk running the show. That's the truth. That's who Kirk is. 

46 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

That margin of error grows when you score more points. Kirk scores, Alex Doesn't Also, Kirk for the amount of drop back, really hasn't turned the ball over anymore than Smith.

Numbers aren't real to you? Okay then. Thanks for admitting that. 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Dude, Alex Smith has not lost 6 fumbles this season.  He has lost only one if I’m not mistaken to go with 3 INTs.  Compared to Cousins losing 6 fumbles and 5 INTs.  That means Cousins has turned the ball over 7 more times than Smith.  That is a lot.  If Smith turned it over as much as Cousins I can virtually guarantee that the Redskins are not 6-3 right now.  ??

AND he NOW has a D (Luxury) that can cover for those TO's. We couldn't so each one was a knife in the back..THE fact is...*I* Trust Alex not to loose the game and *I* like watching the D playing normal field positions and not short/real short field position..God..can we just can the KC crap already

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

30 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

See yall this is why I said Taylor36 is a mosquito...What I said was when was the last time there was a punt return worth a damn and he responds with something about the punter. Aint no use in talking with him. He is gonna spin things however he wants to be argumentative and add nothing to this conversation other then to try and bring everyone down to his level

And no where did I ever say any of that. Those are things you trying to put in my mouth and want me against the BS you said and not things I said. You and your negativity need to find another target, that crap you did right there will be called out for what it is, complete crap. That's what I see in most of your posts. Half truths and crap. 

Seriously.  At this point your not just disingenuous with your posts, you are just a pure lying troll!  Again, I will quote what YOU said.  Your words.  On this page, nonetheless.

You said I was "wrong about good ST play."  You then added a part about having a return.  Again, I'm sorry if you don't understand the game of football, but the return game is just one portion of the special teams.  You specially said I was wrong that our ST had played well.  I never mentioned anything about returns, though we haven't been awful there, either, I said ST, period, as a unit, but you still tried to tell me I'm wrong.  As usual, I proved I wasn't wrong about the ST unit playing well, and you want to deflect that.  I would say nice try, but it really isn't.  Just your usual.  

Again, you also said i was wrong about  Alex playing poorly, I was wrong about us picking up better players in the off season than what we had the year before that would lead to better defensive play and running game along with being more healthy, and then said that I was wrong about all of my "nonsense" and told me to stop responding to you.  Your words: "Wrong about Alex. Wrong about pickups. Wrong about pretty much all the nonsense you post. Stop responding to me with all of this wrong crap."  But, "no where did i say any of that.  Those are things you trying to put in my mouth" is what you respond with when I prove your post to be "wrong crap."  Your post with you saying all that is on the same page as this BS post, for the love of Pete.

Then you try to call me out and call me a mosquito.  Well, buddy, if I bug you like a mosquito, get used to it.  I'm not the only one on this board that is going to call you out on your "crap", nor am I close to the only one who has, including mods in the past.  And, sorry, you don't get to tell any of us who or what we can respond to, just like you don't get to tell us all what we think and not have us respond in kind. THAT is not adding anything to this board because, at its core, it stifles conversation, as you are trying to accuse me of doing.  It is a public board.  Get used to how it works.

If you want to ignore the fact the Kirk Cousins is a better QB in just about every category than Alex Smith other than turn overs, that is your prerogative, just as it is mine and others to point out when you are being disingenuous and misleading in your posts, and not just the ones about Smith and.or Cousins.  

Archived