Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

See yall this is why I said Taylor36 is a mosquito...

No he's not, actually, though he and I have often argued frequently over the years as well as agreed. But you, one more time, are another story. :)

You're going to take a rule 5 break based on recent posts. 

Now there's a few of you who have really become white noise generators on this matter (and really posting stupid football arguments in the process) so figure out who you are and adjust. We'll be doing as we did during rg3/kirk version of this kind of crap. :)

2 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Seriously.  At this point your not just disingenuous with your posts, you are just a pure lying troll!  Again, I will quote what YOU said.  Your words.  On this page, nonetheless.

Dude your the liar. What I said was question when the last time we had a decent punt return. You dodge the question and resort to name calling. Screw this. Your blocked. I waste too much energy on negative people here like you. Not anymore.  

Just now, Jumbo said:

No he's not, actually, though he and I have often argued frequently over the years as well as agreed. But you, one more time, are another story. :)

You're going to take a rule 5 break based on recent posts. 

Now there's a few of you who have really become white noise generators on this matter (and really posting stupid football arguments in the process) so figure out who you are and adjust. We'll be doing as we did during rg3/kirk version of this kind of crap. :)

You know what? Close my account. If your standing by banning me while that piece of trash insults me in every post then **** this place. Bye

21 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Very well put.  Totally agree.  Turnovers hurt the team more then TD passes help your team.  

Not turning the ball over and scoring more TDs helps your team even more.... lol 

It is true that if an offense turns the ball over more has less chance of scoring. If your offense is incapable of scoring from the turnovers your D creates for you then basically that is just punting the ball back to other team and the value of that is 0. It is highly important that you score TDs to offset the turnovers. You can't score TDs if your offense is sputtering like a go-cart instead of a decent sports car. I am not even asking for a turbo charged one either... lol

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Dude your the liar. What I said was question when the last time we had a decent punt return. You dodge the question and resort to name calling. Screw this. Your blocked. I waste too much energy on negative people here like you. Not anymore.  

Hahaha!  You are ridiculous.  I resorted to calling you names?  You called me a mosquito, a liar just now, an asshole a few pages back, etc.  Please point out where i called you name.  I'll wait! 

I never said a peep about the returns in my original statement when I said that the defense, running game and good ST play have contributed more to the wins than Alex.  YOU said I was wrong about the ST's playing good and then added when was the last time we had a returned.  Again, I showed you how our ST, which is much more than a returning unit, had played well, and you want it to be about returns to dodge and deflect.  Block me all you want, but you're going to end up locking more than half the board if you don't change your disingenuous posting.  You really verge on trolling, and you will get called on it.

Thank you for making it easier, bobandweave---i was in the process of doing something different and less extreme that would have included taylor, but I have gone ahead and honored your request, and can assure you staff is appreciative. :)

To others---I'm likely going to close two of the three alex threads and leave the original one open for now, so you might want to wrap some exchanges up.

(chill taylor, bobandweave is gone)

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Overall, Kirk has 7 more TDs (4 passing and 2 rushing) but he also has 5 more TOs - 2 more int and 3 more lost fumbles. he also has 4 more sacks but that's not a big difference to me. 

Look at the sack yardage though!

Thats a negative of 8.65 yards for KC in 2017 vs a negative of 5.2 yards PER SACK. Thats an average of extra free yards per game.

Sacks and Turnovers are drain the defense and moral of the team.

I'm okay with a little extra conservative play. 

I do wish Alex hit Vernon on that deep ball yesterday though.

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

To others---I'm likely going to close two of the three alex threads and leave the original one open for now, so you might want to wrap some exchanges up.

I really think there should be one thread on Alex. Not about lets all get behind him or what is wrong with him. It should be more like: Alex Smith: All Things That He Is or Not or Should Be. :)

Kirk is MUCH BETTER than Alex it's not even close.  Anyone who doesn't understand that either doesn't understand the game of football.  I don't care if you are butthurt because Kirk has moved on the greener pastures or are still sulking over Griffin being a bust and has displaced his anger towards Cousin.  It doesn't matter Kirk is MUCH BETTER but that isn't the issue.  The question is Alex good enough? 

For the record, I'm a squishy maybe at the moment after a win.  Alex cannot trade punches with Drew Brees or Jared Goff like Kirk, Alex religiously sticks to his check down and try to move the sticks game.  Would he be more able and aggressive with a better set of receivers?  I doubt it, I think we have seen what he has got and we have two more years of it to look forward to like it or not. 

The Skins have 7 games left with 5 against teams with losing records.  There are reasons to be hopeful that the Skins can muddle onward to a .500 season or better at this point.  Take a look:

11/18  Texans (6-3)

11/22 @ Cowboys (4-5)

12/3 @ Eagles (4-5)

12-9  Giants (1-7)

12/16 Jaguars (3-6)

12/22 Titans (5-4)

12/30 Eagles (4-5)

Philly may put it together and pull out the division but maybe not.  Right now I could envision a split and the Skins win the division with a 10-6 record by finishing 4-3 with losses to the Texans, Titans and a spit with the Eagles.  It could happen because the defense is solid against most teams and the offense can dink and dunk down the field to maintain field position, run the clock and score occasionally. 

We got Alex for 2 more years lets hope he can help the Skins to the division title and 10 wins!

Just now, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk is MUCH BETTER than Alex it's not even close.  Anyone who doesn't understand that either doesn't understand the game of football.  I don't care if you are butthurt because Kirk has moved on the greener pastures or are still sulking over Griffin being a bust and has displaced his anger towards Cousin.  It doesn't matter Kirk is MUCH BETTER but that isn't the issue.  The question is Alex good enough? 

For the record, I'm a squishy maybe at the moment after a win.  Alex cannot trade punches with Drew Brees or Jared Goff like Kirk, Alex religiously sticks to his check down and try to move the sticks game.  Would he be more able and aggressive with a better set of receivers?  I doubt it, I think we have seen what he has got and we have two more years of it to look forward to like it or not. 

The Skins have 7 games left with 5 against teams with losing records.  There are reasons to be hopeful that the Skins can muddle onward to a .500 season or better at this point.  Take a look:

11/18  Texans (6-3)

11/22 @ Cowboys (4-5)

12/3 @ Eagles (4-5)

12-9  Giants (1-7)

12/16 Jaguars (3-6)

12/22 Titans (5-4)

12/30 Eagles (4-5)

Philly may put it together and pull out the division but maybe not.  Right now I could envision a split and the Skins win the division with a 10-6 record by finishing 4-3 with losses to the Texans, Titans and a spit with the Eagles.  It could happen because the defense is solid against most teams and the offense can dink and dunk down the field to maintain field position, run the clock and score occasionally. 

We got Alex for 2 more years lets hope he can help the Skins to the division title and 10 wins!

I think most fans will admit that Cousins is a better passer than Smith and captain cheesy sure does like to pile up stats, but it's quite obvious who is a better leader of men

1 minute ago, CutPryorNow said:

I think most fans will admit that Cousins is a better passer than Smith and captain cheesy sure does like to pile up stats, but it's quite obvious who is a better leader of men

Is it obvious?  Serious question.  I'm curious what facts you have that could back up that statement.

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

11/18  Texans (6-3)

11/22 @ Cowboys (4-5)

12/3 @ Eagles (4-5)

12-9  Giants (1-7)

12/16 Jaguars (3-6)

12/22 Titans (5-4)

12/30 Eagles (4-5)

I think 10-6 is a realistic outcome. 

13 minutes ago, zskins said:

I really think there should be one thread on Alex. Not about lets all get behind him or what is wrong with him. It should be more like: Alex Smith: All Things That He Is or Not or Should Be. :)

I'm personally a fan of the "How can we get out of Alex's contract?" thread.  It gives me hope after watching this offense.

6 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

That's a point I wouldn't be so sure that Kirk is a better leader than Alex.

It seemed to me that at some points Alex is a better one and that this was this offense. He's too inconsistent so far and goes from bad to good to bad, but he's a fiery leader in that regard I think.

Just now, CutPryorNow said:

Excuse me, quite obvious to me. So who would you rather have your back to in a bar brawl - Cousins or Smith?

If by bar brawl you mean a game in which there is less than five minutes and the team is down by two scores, Cousins everyday of the week.  if you mean an actual brawl in a bar, I guess Alex until his happy feet dance him away.  I only choose him because I don't think Kirk would ever be in a bar. :) 

I was going to respond to bobandweave’s rash generalizations, putting words in my mouth, and just overall ‘Ricky Bobby’ (credit to @PF Chang)minus the humor persona but Jumbo took out the trash.  Nice, very nice.

The one thing I find interesting is that not only bobandweave but several others like to whine about everyome

being critical of the QB.  All this “stats are for losers” huh bub followed by the team’s record.  That those of us unhappy with the QB can’t just “be happy” and so on.  Yet those same people are on here the very same day talking negatively about the head coach, the defense, you name it.  Hypocritical much? The common denominator in these folks is that they would be the ones who thought the Smith acquisition was a good one and argued against anyone with a differing opinion all offseason about it.  Now they want everyone to shut up and be happy about the QB because the record is good halfway through the season.  Which is fine and all but really hypocritical to post negative thoughts about the rest of the team, I mean after all - Why can’t you just be happy?

Just now, Taylor 36 said:

If by bar brawl you mean a game in which there is less than five minutes and the team is down by two scores, Cousins everyday of the week.  if you mean an actual brawl in a bar, I guess Alex until his happy feet dance him away.  I only choose him because I don't think Kirk would ever be in a bar. :) 

I'm coming at this from respecting a man, and how a man conducts himself after having some drinks and in a bar brawl is a starting point. They should use this test when scouting. Just ask McCloughan

4 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

Excuse me, quite obvious to me. So who would you rather have your back to in a bar brawl - Cousins or Smith?

My how far we’ve plummeted to the depths of this discussion.

Which QB do we want in a bar fight??

I can’t imagine running into either one at a bar to tell you the truth.

That said, it reminds me of a time when I used to say that about Jason Campbell.  He’d stand in there and get pummeled and always get his ass back up.  One tough SOB right there.

To stay on topic, I’ve yet to see Alex brace for a blow to deliver a strike through 9 games.  That’s part of the issue with his play is the happy feet and  what appears to be no desire to just stand in there and take a lump or two.  He did take a blow on his scramble against the Falcons but that was actually RG3 like in that it was just dumb to do so.

18 minutes ago, zskins said:

that's the plan as it sits now.... just leave old school's original open cuz it has the best title and was the first...

...and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna just make a directive that ALL kirk conversation goes to atn, period (not a slight to posters who still like Kirk etc.)

Archived