Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brand Decline

Veryoldschool

Moderators please move this post if you don’t believe this topic warrants its own thread.  

I have always thought of the Skins as one of cache brands in the NFL with national interest, maybe not now.  Snyder is slowly killing interest in this team.  

Look at the TV coverage map for the late game.  Washington vs Arizona gets essentially local market coverage.  Apparently the interest in the Skins is dwarfed by the interest in the Cowboys.  Snyder can’t giveaway tickets and the Skins are the undercard now like Cleveland.  This the kind of coverage losers like the Browns get.  Enough ineptitude can destroy anything.

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=1

I don’t think the lack of game coverage for Sunday’s game is due to brand dominance or lack there of.  If you look at the 3 games on FOX at 4:25 this Sunday, it’s obvious that we’re the least attractive game of the 3.  Dallas-Carolina is the anchor game because of the Cowboys, and Cam Newton, and Seahawks-Broncos is a more noteworthy game, because of Russell Wilson, and Von Miller.

To be honest with you, why would our game be a marquee game?  If you take the temperature of the National Media, and their expectations for both teams, they probably view us as mediocre-bad.  If we were facing a better team, we would obviously get more coverage.

29 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Moderators please move this post if you don’t believe this topic warrants its own thread.  

I have always thought of the Skins as one of cache brands in the NFL with national interest, maybe not now.  Snyder is slowly killing interest in this team.  

Look at the TV coverage map for the late game.  Washington vs Arizona gets essentially local market coverage.  Apparently the interest in the Skins is dwarfed by the interest in the Cowboys.  Snyder can’t giveaway tickets and the Skins are the undercard now like Cleveland.  This the kind of coverage losers like the Browns get.  Enough ineptitude can destroy anything.

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=1

Almosy identical to the coverage map of any Redskins game at Cardinals throughout or glory years. Overall Redskins still generally draw bigger audiences than any teams outside of the mega brands. 

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yes, that is the solution win enough to make the Skins relevant again.

I mean, I know its frustrating, but a lot of teams get away with a lot of drama because they are winning.  Until we start winning, the noise will get amplified at minimum.  Starts Sunday, keep the faith.

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

If the Washington Redskins start winning, party like it's 1980's. Things would definitely change

The funny thing is, that despite the team's shortcomings over the last two decades, they are still the 4th richest franchise in the league, according to Forbes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ContentGallery/10-nfl-most-valuable-teams-forbes-list-119900030/Amp/

13 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The funny thing is, that despite the team's shortcomings over the last two decades, they are still the 4th richest franchise in the league, according to Forbes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ContentGallery/10-nfl-most-valuable-teams-forbes-list-119900030/Amp/

Its because they own the stadium

Also, let’s be real here for a second, who the hell would want to go out of their way to watch Redskins-Cardinals if you’re a casual fan?  That’s one of the LEAST attractive games on the schedule.  The only game worse would probably be Bills-Ravens, or Titans-Dolphins in terms of snooze factor.

I will say though, that we’ll get more national attention when we play the Packers, Saints, Falcons, (NFC East), etc.

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Also, let’s be real here for a second, who the hell would want to go out of their way to watch Redskins-Cardinals if you’re a casual fan?  That’s one of the LEAST attractive games on the schedule.  The only game worse would probably be Bills-Ravens, or Titans-Dolphins in terms of snooze factor.

I will say though, that we’ll get more national attention when we play the Packers, Saints, Falcons, (NFC East), etc.

All very true, imho. :( 

55 minutes ago, zoony said:

Its because they own the stadium

They do, but its gotta be more to it than just stadium ownership.

Even after 20+ years of one step forward/two steps back, this team is still worth over $3 billion.

Either Snyder is a much better businessman than I gave him credit for, or the fanbase is way more dedicated than I thought. :)

12 hours ago, kleese said:

There’s no doubt the Skins popularity and brand has suffered the last 25 years— that’s undeniable. But the coverage map is zero indication of that. In week 3 we will almost certainly have biggest distribution of any early FOX game.

Right, but not because it's us. More so because it's Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, no? 

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes, I have seen rankings like this in recent years but I wonder if things have really begun to fade.  The league splits up the TV revenue equally but I really see the demand for Redskin tickets falling. November and December resale tickets routinely go for $5-10.

The high number of transplants to the DC area helps to create demand by fans of opponents but Snyder must wonder if the bottom will fall out soon.  Winning could change things.  Three years of respectable, competitive, .500 play probably help shore things up but as another poster said the Skins are a C list team in the League now.  Winning is the only cure I hope Gruden can win enough this year to hang on to his job.

Archived