Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict The Skins W/L

Veryoldschool

2018 W/L Prediction  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How Many 2018 Regular Season Wins?

• 16-0
    • 15-1
    • 14-2
    • 13-3
    • 12-4
    • 11-5
    • 10-6
    • 9-7
    • 8-8
    • 7-9
    • 6-10
    • Dark pit of despair

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2018 at 03:59 AM

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Saban now wouldn't that be vintage Dan.  You got the hype of all the Alabama guys here already -- I can see him trying to sell the pizzaz behind a move like that.  Saban though is such an ego maniac -- I doubt he'd take the job without personnel control.  

It would be a complete vintage Dan move, and not really a good one.  Though...

To me the irony is I hate the model of personnel being run by a head coach but I probably hate even more a FO run by Bruce Allen.

I'd be all for anything that would get rid of Bruce.  Maybe Saban comes in, and Dan convinces him to keep control but delegate GM duties to Kyle Smith.  That could be win-win.

I'm not a huge fan of hiring a big name old-guy coach.  But if there was one that you might be able to try and have success with, I think it would be Saban.  IF he was motivated to prove that his stint in Miami was the outlier, and that he could in fact succeed in the pros. 

He'd have to be totally committed though.  There's no question in my mind that Saban COULD BE a really good NFL coach if he wanted to be

NOTE: I'm not advocating this, just saying I'd take Saban over Jay/Bruce.  And I'd do that in a heartbeat. 

Hopefully the season doesn't crash where this comes to bear.    But if the season goes south -- I gather Dan is boxed in to do something sexy.  As the WP explained well IMO the other day -- this isn't a sexy-exciting team as for it being an easy one to sell fans to buy jerseys and tickets, etc.  I gather a losing season on top of it would bring back old school Dan on steroids.  Not that I think old school Dan is completely gone presently. 

If this goes south he has to do something, glitzy or not, and not because of a fan revolt, but because 10 years of Allen and 5 years of Jay haven't worked, and you just can't keep on keeping on with mediocre to bad results.  You also can't hire a new exec and saddle him with Jay, you've got to let them pick their own guy. 

I still think Peyton would be a smart and sexy pick.  He's gotta know a bunch of the coaches and FO folks around the league, and would have a good perspective as to who might work and who wouldn't. 

I am holding out for now by leaning optimistic.  But I totally get the people who have a bad feeling about the season.  I at times have it that same feeling, too.  But I am trying to fight it for now especially with me flying almost cross country to see the opener.  ?

I hope it doesn't come to pass either.  But I have a bad feeling about it.  The dependency on a bunch of injured players coming back and contributing and not getting injured again, coupled with my belief that the coach is "meh" (I know we disagree on this) doesn't lead to a lot of optimism. 

But Jay's got the opportunity to prove me wrong by winning.  And I hope he does.  Better to have him succeed than start all over again.

4 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I want to choose 6-10, that was the first number that popped into my head, but the temptation to add another vote to pit of despair is too tempting.

I'd like to shove snyder into the pit. 

Let's go with 5 wins. 

Swing by Dennys, I'm with ShaunAlexanderSkinsYears.

I am telling you with AP running angry for his reputation, almost demanding the ball, taking pressure off Smith until he settles in, probably by the 2nd half of game one, we are going 3-1 to start.

The bye comes at a great time because Reed will be a little gimpy and AP will simply be out of gas....?   Then when we come out of the bye, a bit flat mind you,the ES board will go crazy talking about how the Redskins suck and can never hang onto momentum. Rumors will start again about Gruden getting sacked, how old AP and Smith are and we will be  3-2.  Then shock of all shockers we knock off 3 straight to go 6-2 AND......crickets.    We are back in the conversation, everyone is waiting for the fall, especially Skins fans, but it doesn't happen.   When the dust settles our record is 11-5.  Fans are shocked.  Hell the players are shocked.  In private of course with family and close friends.  

13 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

LOL

I liked it better when you were fatalistic about the team losing Cousins and hellbent to point out snyder's multiple failings, personal and professional. 

Think of my "prediction" as not a prediction, but more a hope. I kinda hope that snyder has to deal with a disappointing season if only to reinforce the magnitude of bungling that has been going on for years, but punctuated especially so in the last offseason. 

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If this goes south he has to do something, glitzy or not, and not because of a fan revolt, but because 10 years of Allen and 5 years of Jay haven't worked, and you just can't keep on keeping on with mediocre to bad results.  You also can't hire a new exec and saddle him with Jay, you've got to let them pick their own guy. 

The thing though is talking purely fan sentiment.  You got no fan petitions for example to remove Jay.  It's all Bruce.  I don't think most fans are fed up at all with Jay.  The beef is with the FO and Bruce and Dan.  I don't think Jay is the perfect coach or is Belichick JR.  He has weaknesses among them clock management.  But I think you might undervalue 2 things about him and how they are more important with this specific franchise versus most.  1.  his personality.  2.  his player evaluation skills. 

He has other assets too but those two things specifically IMO on those fronts he's almost the perfect elixir to the dysfunction of Dan/Bruce.  You've compared him if I recall to Norv before.  But Norv didn't IMO bring anything on those two fronts.  Norv supposedly added to the toxic culture by slamming players to reporters and doing his own scapegoating.  And the impression I get was Norv was a weak personality.   I don't get the same impressions about Jay .  Jay from what I hear can massage Bruce/Dan's egos and on the same token create a likable buffer with the players.  If you recall even with the craziness around Su'a Cravens (and I'd agree Cravens was at fault), Cravens still complemented Jay and the person he is.   And he adds another needed competent voice for the draft and FA -- albeit according to some they don't always listen to him on that front.

But bringing it back to the fans.  Yeah I don't think there is some outcry that includes Jay.  I think instead there is a general fatigue and distrust of Bruce and by extension Dan where they don't think they are capable of building a culture of winning.    So if Dan does one of his new beginnings drill, I think too many fans are burnt out and distrust it.  So that's why I think he'd be boxed in.  As for Jay if they had a bad season, yeah I can see him being part of that soup perhaps with some but I doubt he's the main plot with fan fatigue.  Not saying you are saying otherwise, that's just my 2 cents.  And I do agree if they then hired a real GM, Kyle Smith would be fine, let him hire his own coach. 

I think they've built a roster that might excel but with really hardly any sexiness.  A lot of quiet players, few personalities or stars for now -- its a team that not only isn't predicted to do well by most national types but I think the national media also finds it yawn level boring judging by coverage.  That's not always been the case under Dan -- win or lose (and mostly lose) during his tenure, he's been good at adding big names and sexiness where this team is at least talked about and is part of the national conversation.  I am not saying that circumstance has been good.  

But if you are going to go the other extreme (which seems like Bruce's touches) you better win.  Because in short I don't think you can survive been both mediocre AND boring -- because I gather that effects ticket sales and merchandise. As WP pointed out, people aren't buying Redskins jerseys.  Heck Cousins at least as of a few months ago in Minny outranked Alex jerseys sales here by a wide margin.  Earlier in Dan's tenure, I doubt something like that would happen.  If you are going boring -- you got to win, too -- winning is never boring.

But yeah hopefully none of this comes to bear.  I am sticking with 9-7 but am not a locked down and confident about it.   ?

The team should be better because of the long list of injuries last year. There is no way that happens again. The running game can't be worse with the same guys + AP this year and a QB who should help the running game. Just having Jordan Reed and the entire OL and DL should be a major upgrade. A lot of people seem to believe that Smith is better than Cousins. All of this has to equal a better team. You wouldn't know that from the results of this prediction thread though.

I don't see it because I don't believe that Alex Smith is equivalent but we'll see. Maybe Gruden will prove to be as good as Harbaugh and Reid and AP has a Comeback Player of the Year season and somehow Jordan Reed plays all 16 games. I won't be expecting that though.

8-8 would surprise me.

6-10 is about what I expect.

4-12 wouldn't surprise me as much as 8-8 would.

This does feel like a year where I'd like to see an actual outcome so the path forward is more obvious. I wouldn't envy Snyder if we go 8-8...because you could make a viable case to stand pat or blow it up. If we win or lose double-digit games, the next step is pretty clear. So, obviously I'd like us to win 10+, but as far as long-term outcomes go, I would almost prefer a bad season over another OK season where we miss the playoffs. 

** That's only for THIS SEASON. Generally I'm a guy who likes a competitive team, but since we kind of need to know how the last 2-3 years are going to look under Smith, we need a path forward to be clear by January/February or we will waste too much of his ticking clock. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing though is talking purely fan sentiment.  You got no fan petitions for example to remove Jay.  It's all Bruce.  I don't think most fans are fed up at all with Jay.  The beef is with the FO and Bruce and Dan.  I don't think Jay is the perfect coach or is Belichick JR.  He has weaknesses among them clock management.  But I think you might undervalue 2 things about him and how they are more important with this specific franchise versus most.  1.  his personality.  2.  his player evaluation skills. 

I actually disagree a bit.  I think that there are a lot of fans who are completely fed up with the "aw-shucks" attitude, the inconsistent on the field performance, the fact the team starts slowly every year, and then tends to finish slowly as well.  You're right, the vitriol is directed towards Bruce/Dan. But I don't think there's a lot of support for Jay, minus a few supporters.  I think it's more a combination of apathy and fed up than true support.

Also, I think there is a pretty good contingent that sees Jay as essentially Bruce's guy, and so by the transitive property, Jay goes with Bruce.

And while I like his personality for a guy to drink beer with, I'm not entirely sure that it fits as a head coach.  There is unquestionably a lack of accountability, or at least there has been, on both the players and the coaching staff.  Where this turns up is repeated mistakes.  The same things happen over and over, and the only way that can happen is if there isn't ultimate accountability. 

As far as player evaluation goes, I'm not sure we'll ever really know how good he is, but the roster is average at the moment.  Not great, not terrible.  There have been some good draft picks, some not good draft picks, etc.  So, he might be ok at it, and he might not be, but there's no real way to tell.  He wanted to draft Mr. Irrelevant in the 5th round, and we got him in the 7th, and he's tried to convince me that Ryan Grant and Rob Kelley ("ohh man.  Jeez.  I love Rob Kelley") are both starting caliber players in the NFL, which I (and basically the rest of the NFL) disagree with, so I'm not really going to give him a huge amount of credit in this department. I know we disagree about this.   

He has other assets too but those two things specifically IMO on those fronts he's almost the perfect elixir to the dysfunction of Dan/Bruce.  You've compared him if I recall to Norv before.  But Norv didn't IMO bring anything on those two fronts.  Norv supposedly added to the toxic culture by slamming players to reporters and doing his own scapegoating.  And the impression I get was Norv was a weak personality.   I don't get the same impressions about Jay .  Jay from what I hear can massage Bruce/Dan's egos and on the same token create a likable buffer with the players.  If you recall even with the craziness around Su'a Cravens (and I'd agree Cravens was at fault), Cravens still complemented Jay and the person he is.   And he adds another needed competent voice for the draft and FA -- albeit according to some they don't always listen to him on that front.

I don't want an elixir to Bruce/Dan.  I want Bruce gone. 

Norv and Jay might have gotten to the same results in different ways, but both of their teams all had the same symptoms: lack of accountability, failure to close out games, inconsistency and a plethora of stupid mistakes.  I don't really know anything about Norv fostering a toxic environment.  There are a whole boatload of HOF players from the Cowboys who thinks he walks on water, including Troy, who had Norv introduce him at the hall of fame.  I always thought Norv was pretty well liked and a players coach. 

But bringing it back to the fans.  Yeah I don't think there is some outcry that includes Jay.  I think instead there is a general fatigue and distrust of Bruce and by extension Dan where they don't think they are capable of building a culture of winning.    So if Dan does one of his new beginnings drill, I think too many fans are burnt out and distrust it.  So that's why I think he'd be boxed in.  As for Jay if they had a bad season, yeah I can see him being part of that soup perhaps with some but I doubt he's the main plot with fan fatigue.  Not saying you are saying otherwise, that's just my 2 cents.  And I do agree if they then hired a real GM, Kyle Smith would be fine, let him hire his own coach. 

This is one of the reasons I started the "evaluating Jay Gruden" thread, to try and separate out the things which are in Jay's control, and the things which might not be, and evaluate him based on things a HC should be able to control. 

And while I don't think he's the main figure in fan fatigue, I think what Boy Wonder was able to do out in LA after 1 year, with a QB who had been labeled a bust after 1 year, does stand in stark contrast to what Jay has accomplished in 4.  It is a different situation, but McVay just has an "it" factor that Jay doesn't have.  And I think educated fans see that.  Sure, Jay got the best of him in his second game ever as a HC, but the Rams had a better record in his first year than Jay has been able to get to in 4 years, and probably a 5th.  Is that all on Jay?  Maybe not.  But a good coach can elevate the team he's given. McVay seems to have done that, while Jay has not. 

Also, you look right up the road a couple hours, a coach in his second year took an Eagles team that lost their starting MVP candidate QB, HOF LT, projected starting RB, and a few defensive starters, and won the goddamn Super Bowl.  And there's absolutely no way you can convince me that if Jay was in the same spot with the Eagles as Pederson after Wentz went down, they win the SB.

While as I said the vitriol is focused on Bruce, I also don't think Jay is off the hook from the fan's perspectives.  Galdi has done a bunch of calls on this over the past few weeks, and to me it seems like a 40-40-20 split between "Jay Stinks," "Jay's meh" and "Jay's a good coach."  

That's nowhere near a scientific poll. 

So while Jay might not be the central figure, I think there is a lot of "eh, whatever, he's ok I guess" about him.  No excitement, and not a lot of confidence he's ever going to be better than "ok" and get the team to the SB. 

I think they've built a roster that might excel but with really hardly any sexiness.  A lot of quiet players, few personalities or stars for now -- its a team that not only isn't predicted to do well by most national types but I think the national media also finds it yawn level boring judging by coverage.  That's not always been the case under Dan -- win or lose (and mostly lose) during his tenure, he's been good at adding big names and sexiness where this team is at least talked about and is part of the national conversation.  I am not saying that circumstance has been good.  

The roster has enough personality to be sexy if they win.  They haven't won.  They're not sexy.  It's really that simple.

But yeah hopefully none of this comes to bear.  I am sticking with 9-7 but am not a locked down and confident about it.   ?

9-7 would just be so "meh" to me.  Just stuck in neutral.  I am actually hoping for 10-6 or better, or a complete collapse.  I'd prefer the 10-6 or better.  I'm expecting the complete collapse. 

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am actually hoping for 10-6 or better, or a complete collapse.  I'd prefer the 10-6 or better.  I'm expecting the complete collapse. 

Jesus are we on different wavelengths. I’d rather watch three consecutive 9-7 seasons than sit around for another complete collapse. I’m tired of watching Redskins games on autopilot in December because our season is already over. At least at 9-7 we’re competitive all year.

If this team has more than 10 wins this year i’ll honestly be shocked. Next year I could see it (depending on how things play out obviously) but we’re inexperienced in important positions and starting the season off with more question marks than truths talent wise. 

I want to think 9-7 or 10-6 and fighting for a playoff spot but I do not think we added enough in the off season to change our team that much. Giants have made improvements. Birds are champs. Boys destroyed us last year. Add to that a brutal schedule, a new QB, our young promising RB in the hospital and the same old Jay with his unprepared, mistake prone coaching and at best I say 7-9. With the way our injuries have always been with us I think 5-11 is more realistic. If we loose our opening day game and struggle with the Colts I can see even 3-13 which after a bad start is alright as then we will say goodby to Jay and maybe even Allen. I would rather have 3-13 than 6-10 or 7-9 and another bunch of mid round draft choices. We will get a high draft choice that we can turn into a stud QB or maybe even 2 impact players. Hope I am wrong, cheers. 

8 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I want to think 9-7 or 10-6 and fighting for a playoff spot but I do not think we added enough in the off season to change our team that much. Giants have made improvements. Birds are champs. Boys destroyed us last year. Add to that a brutal schedule, a new QB, our young promising RB in the hospital and the same old Jay with his unprepared, mistake prone coaching and at best I say 7-9. With the way our injuries have always been with us I think 5-11 is more realistic. If we loose our opening day game and struggle with the Colts I can see even 3-13 which after a bad start is alright as then we will say goodby to Jay and maybe even Allen. I would rather have 3-13 than 6-10 or 7-9 and another bunch of mid round draft choices. We will get a high draft choice that we can turn into a stud QB or maybe even 2 impact players. Hope I am wrong, cheers. 

Ok, so what did you vote for?  9-7 or dark pit of despair?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually disagree a bit.  I think that there are a lot of fans who are completely fed up with the "aw-shucks" attitude, the inconsistent on the field performance, the fact the team starts slowly every year, and then tends to finish slowly as well.  You're right, the vitriol is directed towards Bruce/Dan. But I don't think there's a lot of support for Jay, minus a few supporters.  I think it's more a combination of apathy and fed up than true support.

I think you are wrong on that.  Jay seems popular with fans.  Could have sworn I saw a poll on it but not 100% sure but if so I'll see if I can find.

And while I like his personality for a guy to drink beer with, I'm not entirely sure that it fits as a head coach.  There is unquestionably a lack of accountability, or at least there has been, on both the players and the coaching staff.  Where this turns up is repeated mistakes.  The same things happen over and over, and the only way that can happen is if there isn't ultimate accountability. 

It's like any head coach or for that person.  Their strength is also their weakness.  His teams have a resilience streak where they can shrug over adversity but also sometimes lack intensity.  Yin and yang.  You got that with most coaches.

As far as player evaluation goes, I'm not sure we'll ever really know how good he is, but the roster is average at the moment.  Not great, not terrible.  There have been some good draft picks, some not good draft picks, etc.  So, he might be ok at it, and he might not be, but there's no real way to tell.  He wanted to draft Mr. Irrelevant in the 5th round, and we got him in the 7th, and he's tried to convince me that Ryan Grant and Rob Kelley ("ohh man.  Jeez.  I love Rob Kelley") are both starting caliber players in the NFL,

Liking guys on the roster and choosing guys in the draft are two different animals.  I recall Joe Gibbs loved James Thrash, would gush and gush about him. Some beat guys like to say Jay likes players who do what they are told and don't screw up assignments -- he's not alone on that front as to other coaches.

As for his player evaluation skills, Scot told me to my face Jay is great at it.  When ESPN interviewed a personnel guy about teams drafts -- that guy highlighted Jay specifically as a really good evaluator in that building.  We've heard Jay was the one pounding the table for Matt Ionnaidis.  If I recall it was Keim who said Jay loved Reuben Foster (who is looking like a stud). Jay's idea to convert Dunbar to CB.   Just because Jay liked Quinn in the 5th (draft geeks seemed to have him rated a 4th-5th rounder) and he went in the 7th -- to me doesn't mean squat.  So what? Even if we act like its a mistake -- your evaluators get a lot wrong, it comes with the turf.

I don't want an elixir to Bruce/Dan.  I want Bruce gone. 

Me too.  But Dan's not going anywhere.  Even with Bruce gone, sadly you need to manage Dan, too.

I I don't really know anything about Norv fostering a toxic environment.  There are a whole boatload of HOF players from the Cowboys who thinks he walks on water, including Troy, who had Norv introduce him at the hall of fame.  I always thought Norv was pretty well liked and a players coach. 

Norv the HC and Norv the coordinator -- different stories, different drills.  Some of the guys who were around from back then including Snider doesn't describe Norv that fondly as to what he was like behind the scenes in particular when it came to throwing players under the bus. Norv is a nice guy by most accounts but working under a stressful environment with an over the top demanding boss can change how you roll about things.  According to some, Norv was a manipulator behind the scenes and wasn't considered a leader.  That's not how Jay is described.

And while I don't think he's the main figure in fan fatigue, I think what Boy Wonder was able to do out in LA after 1 year, with a QB who had been labeled a bust after 1 year, does stand in stark contrast to what Jay has accomplished in 4.  It is a different situation, but McVay just has an "it" factor that Jay doesn't have. 

Maybe.  But its easy to say now. But that's me more impressed with McVay not so much my feelings about Jay (I liked McVay's personality and style when he was here)  Lets see if Boy Wonder keeps winning - its been just one season.  I agree with one facet of this which is it doesn't have to take this long slow burn process (as some believe) to become a winner. 

Also, you look right up the road a couple hours, a coach in his second year took an Eagles team that lost their starting MVP candidate QB, HOF LT, projected starting RB, and a few defensive starters, and won the goddamn Super Bowl.  And there's absolutely no way you can convince me that if Jay was in the same spot with the Eagles as Pederson after Wentz went down, they win the SB.

I am reading Pederson's book right now.  To me that dude is so smug its sickening.  And his book lends to the idea of how the front office can lead a coach to a winning culture.  He talks at length about how he wasn't a metric/advanced stats guy when he arrived -- but the Eagles FO was so consumed with it, that he learned it mostly from them. 

9-7 would just be so "meh" to me.  Just stuck in neutral.  I am actually hoping for 10-6 or better, or a complete collapse.  I'd prefer the 10-6 or better.  I'm expecting the complete collapse. 

With their killer schedule -- NFC being killer hard, etc.  I'd take 9-7.  I wouldn't say its a grand accomplishment but decent.  I do think at some point they have to make a serious move, I'd give them one more season on that front if they went 9-7. 

I try to keep an open mind.  I wasn't a Jay guy in year 1.  I used to link him like you do to Bruce.  But over time, I warmed up to him.  I noticed beat guys talking about Jay and Bruce not always being on the same page -- especially this off season.    Would Jay succeed in a bigger way without Bruce around?  I think yeah.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With their killer schedule -- NFC being killer hard, etc.  I'd take 9-7.  I wouldn't say its a grand accomplishment but decent.  I do think at some point they have to make a serious move, I'd give them one more season on that front if they went 9-7. 

I think it's safe to say we're not going to agree on this, however I enjoy the discussion.

This might be unpolular with you and a few others, but I don't actually care about the schedule and injuries anymore.  If you're in year 5, you play the teams in front of you, and if you're a good team, you win.  If you're not, you lose. 

It really is a put up or shut up for me now.  5 years is enough time to get to 10 wins.  And I don't care how difficult the schedule is.  If you're good, you beat good teams.  If you need a soft schedule to get to 10 wins, (or in 2015's case, 9 wins), then you're not that good anyway.

Maybe this is a tough line, but at some point, you've just gotta win, or you've gotta let somebody else try.  And 5 years is enough time to know what you have. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I try to keep an open mind.  I wasn't a Jay guy in year 1.  I used to link him like you do to Bruce.  But over time, I warmed up to him.  I noticed beat guys talking about Jay and Bruce not always being on the same page -- especially this off season.    Would Jay succeed in a bigger way without Bruce around?  I think yeah.

And I think nah.  I think unless he can hold players and coaches accountable, he's always going to be a middling coach, no matter the talent around him.  My opinion.  Hope I'm wrong. 

With a decent head coach and no injuries at critical positions, we have a 10-12 win roster. Anything worse than 10 wins, unless we have a critical injury(not going to give an example since that would jinx it), Jay = Norv. In 1995, we had a mediocre roster but ended up with a suck season.  In 1996 and 1997, we had a playoff roster but missed the playoff due mostly due to bad coaching  In 2000, we destroyed the Cards in every measurable but the most important one.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

12-4 or 4-12

Really no idea until I see what unfolds week 1. I think if we start slow we are screwed. If we start fast, we have a chance to compete throughout the season. 

I almost think week 1 is a must win game. Maybe that's just me.

So something within 2 standard deviations from the mean, check..

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Also, I think there is a pretty good contingent that sees Jay as essentially Bruce's guy, and so by the transitive property, Jay goes with Bruce.

I agree. I honestly think week 1, and probably week 2, will dictate Jays future. If we start with a loss, go 0-5 under him on opening day, he's under massive pressure. The wheels are going to fall off quickly in that scenario. He needs early results.

3 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

So something within 2 standard deviations from the mean, check..

We aren't going to be average, we will be great or total dog ****, without sounding mean....

Archived