Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is not a good play from Bush.  He took a false step and got beat on the post on what would have been a big gain if Haskins hadn't thrown the ball way behind the slot receiver.  That was a bad play from Haskins, not a good one from Bush.

I have to agree with you.  To be fair, that’s a fast receiver he’s catching up to (not that it’s a foot race), so kudos to getting into (decent) position, but yeah... a better throw is an easy completion.  

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I have to agree with you.  To be fair, that’s a fast receiver he’s catching up to (not that it’s a foot race), so kudos to getting into (decent) position, but yeah... a better throw is an easy completion.  

Recovery speed is highly desirable, but instincts > speed.  That play is a good example of what I was talking about when I said projecting him to be a great coverage linebacker means assuming quite a bit of growth in play recognition skills and footwork, because the refinement in coverage is lacking.

Byron Murphy is not as fast as Bush is, but he's awesome in coverage because he covers with an economy of footwork and his instincts are superb.

Instincts and aggression are typically what separate the guys who are good starters and occasional standouts from the All Pros.

I didn't even watch that play from Bush, the reason why I posted that specific tweet was the mention of how insanely fast his 10 yard split is historically for a MLB. I've watched enough Bush at this point where highlights don't move me one way or another. 

I'll say the same thing about Bush that I like to say about Marquise Brown.  Their insane speed (Bush for his position) shows up IMO as their play speed, too.  They move really really fast.  As for Will Blackmon's comments about his footwork is even good by cornerback standards.  I commented on this the other day, if you watch Bush, they line him wide sometimes to face RBs lined up to catch a pass.   And the dude actually on "some" of those plays actually really looks fluid for a MLB.  Yes Devin Bush isn't a corner.   But like I said the other day, he seems quick to diagnose run-pass, he readjusts when fooled and backpedals well IMO.  He's not a playmaker in coverage IMO but more than holds his own.

Digesting Bush my only concern is he seems more of a weakside type, MO MLB versus a Mike.  So wonder about him and Foster playing together.    Having said that for the critics of Bush here as for not being worth pick 15, I doubt it will matter in the end because I suspect he's going before 15.  He's not my top pick at 15 but he's another dude that I wouldn't be upset if by chance he falls and they take him.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't even watch that play from Bush, the reason why I posted that specific tweet was the mention of how insanely fast his 10 yard split is historically for a MLB. I've watched enough Bush at this point where highlights don't move me one way or another. 

I'll say the same thing about Bush that I like to say about Marquise Brown.  Their insane speed (Bush for his position) shows up IMO as their play speed, too.  They move really really fast.  As for Will Blackmon's comments about his footwork is even good by cornerback standards.  I commented on this the other day, if you watch Bush, they line him wide sometimes to face RBs lined up to catch a pass.   And the dude actually on "some" of those plays actually really looks fluid for a MLB.  Yes Devin Bush isn't a corner.   But like I said the other day, he seems quick to diagnose run-pass, he readjusts when fooled and backpedals well IMO.  He's not a playmaker in coverage IMO but more than holds his own.

Digesting Bush my only concern is he seems more of a weakside type, MO MLB versus a Mike.  So wonder about him and Foster playing together.    Having said that for the critics of Bush here as for not being worth pick 15, I doubt it will matter in the end because I suspect he's going before 15.  He's not my top pick at 15 but he's another dude that I wouldn't be upset if by chance he falls and they take him.

Agreed, SIP.  He or Sweat sliding to #15 would be excellent pickups.  Stranger things have happened.  

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Agreed, SIP.  He or Sweat sliding to #15 would be excellent pickups.  Stranger things have happened.  

Speaking of Sweat, just listened to Matt Bowen on Keim's podcast.  He went on a number of subjects including the pass rushers.

His take is if Sweat falls to 15 he's the guy but he doesn't think he will fall.  Brian Burns would be his next choice within that 15 range.  Clelin Ferrell would be his third choice.  Right now my fav prospect is Burns in terms of a player who likely falls to 15.  But even he's not slam dunk as for being there. 

He thinks the biggest issue with the Redskins when he watches their film compared to others is lack of speed-playmakers.  It brings to mind several of the beat guys who like to say that the FO is very aware of the lack of speed on offense and are determined to fix it. 

Forgot which beat guy said to watch for Parris Campbell potentially in the 2nd round. But one did.  It makes sense to me.  Parris is another dude with insane speed who also plays fast.  I prefer Marquise Brown (Bowen loves Brown) over Parris because he can do it all -- a deep threat and can kill it as for YAC on the short stuff, too.  Parris is more of an underneath guy. 

Thinking if its speed then the bigger names are: Marquise, DK, P. Campbell, your guy Isabella. McLaurin, Hardman.

If we are going with the 10 YD split as opposed to 40.

1.  Metcalf 1.48

2. P. Campbell 1.52

3. Isabella 1.53

4.  Boykin, McLaurin, Hardman, E. Hall 1.54

Wonder if they are looking for X type receivers who are physical but also relatively fast:  Deebo Samuel (4.48, 1.60), AJ Brown (though he played slot in college) 4.49, 1.56, Arcega-Whiteside, (4.49, 1.58), Hakeem Butler, (4.48, 1.59)

Craig Hoffman said on 106.7 weeks back he knows they like N'Keal Harry and Marquise Brown.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of Sweat, just listened to Matt Bowen on Keim's podcast.  He went on a number of subjects including the pass rushers.

His take is if Sweat falls to 15 he's the guy but he doesn't think he will fall.  Brian Burns would be his next choice within that 15 range.  Clelin Ferrell would be his third choice.  Right now my fav prospect is Burns in terms of a player who likely falls to 15.  But even he's not slam dunk as for being there. 

He thinks the biggest issue with the Redskins when he watches their film compared to others is lack of speed-playmakers.  It brings to mind several of the beat guys who like to say that the FO is very aware of the lack of speed on offense and are determined to fix it. 

Forgot which beat guy said to watch for Parris Campbell potentially in the 2nd round. But one did.  It makes sense to me.  Parris is another dude with insane speed who also plays fast.  I prefer Marquise Brown (Bowen loves Brown) over Parris because he can do it all -- a deep threat and can kill it as for YAC on the short stuff, too.  Parris is more of an underneath guy. 

Thinking if its speed then the bigger names are: Marquise, DK, P. Campbell, your guy Isabella. McLaurin, Hardman.

1.  Metcalf 1.48

2. P. Campbell 1.52

3. Isabella 1.53

Wonder if they are looking for X type receivers who are physical but also relatively fast:  Deebo Samuel (4.48, 1.60), AJ Brown (though he played slot in college) 4.49, 1.56, Arcega-Whiteside, (4.49, 1.58). 

Craig Hoffman said on 106.7 weeks back he knows they like N'Keal Harry and Marquise Brown.  

We need to get faster.  I could see Sweat falling to 15.  Assume the top 5 are gone (Murray, Bosa, Allen, Q. Williams, White).  3 OL (Taylor, Williams, Dillard), 2 QBs (Haskins & Lock), 1 edge (Gary), 1 TE (Hockenson), 1 DT (to either Miami or ATL), and 1 LB (Bush).  That's 14 players.  That's only if some team likes Gary over Sweat.  

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

We need to get faster.  I could see Sweat falling to 15.  Assume the top 5 are gone (Murray, Bosa, Allen, Q. Williams, White).  3 OL (Taylor, Williams, Dillard), 2 QBs (Haskins & Lock), 1 edge (Gary), 1 TE (Hockenson), 1 DT (to either Miami or ATL), and 1 LB (Bush).  That's 14 players.  That's only if some team likes Gary over Sweat.  

Yeah I haven't dived into Gary at all.  I recall SteveMcQueen1 did and if i recall he was mixed about him and didn't love him.   The article today from Breer gives the vibe that Gary could fall as far as our pick.  So I am tempted to spend some time looking at Gary.  The rap on Gary seems to be more or less that he's an athletic freak with the size to play inside or outside but is inconsistent and his production doesn't even close to match his massive potential. 

To your point, yeah I do think the math adds up that some surprise player could fall.  It could be Sweat.  I think they'd take him too considering the premium they seem to have on stopping the run.  Beyond being fast, Sweat has length and can stop the run.   He has both crazy speed and crazy long arms.   

I didn't like what I saw of Gary at all.  We can have reasonable disagreements over most prospects and, at the end of the day, they're still good players, just not what we prefer.  Gary just sucks.  He's a lousy football player that doesn't really do anything well plus he's soft and he doesn't have an NFL position.  His draft stock is entirely based off his measurables and recruiting hype.  It's the exact same situation as with Robert Nkemdiche.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I didn't like what I saw of Gary at all.  We can have reasonable disagreements over most prospects and, at the end of the day, they're still good players, just not what we prefer.  Gary just sucks.  He's a lousy football player that doesn't really do anything well plus he's soft and he doesn't have an NFL position.  His draft stock is entirely based off his measurables and recruiting hype.  It's the exact same situation as with Robert Nkemdiche.

Gary's profile screams boom-bust with major concern on the bust front.  But I haven't really watched him -- some guys I can catch some by osmosis by watching other players on their unit.  For example with Michigan I've watched Winovich and Bush but oddly Gary didn't pop while doing that so I got no take on him.   I haven't isolated him but I gather its not a good sign that I didn't notice him much while watching multiple games of that unit.    

I hope though he goes before our pick to prop another player to 15.  

on another note, here's Kiper take.  Lock is either a top 5 pick or a late first rounder depending on whose talking about him.  But he's typically top 10.  Wonder what they would do if he did drop to 15.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it's emblematic of Bush's coverage skill being overstated by draftniks.  They're making a projection of his coverage talent being an elite attribute based on the fact that he has elite hip fluidity and elite speed.  That's not a terrible projection, but it's based on potential rather than what he's tended to demonstrate on the field.  IMO, the feel and the technique aren't there yet.

I share your concern about his lack of positional versatility and ability to play a traditional Mike role.  Those guys have to be able to scrape and fill, and I just don't think he is very good at this.  If he shows mediocrity and timidity at this at the college level, that's not a good sign.  And I don't think it's realistic to expect him to ever be because of his size.  I think it's pretty clear he's a chase and hit WILL or a box safety at the NFL level.

You've made a good case for his off field character (although I have to disregard Gary's endorsement), but I don't really love his passivity on the field.  I think it's a primary cause for his mediocre tackle production.  I don't think he's soft, far from it.  He is a physical player who consistently brings the wood in the open field.  I just don't think he's very aggressive.  Goes back to what I said before about him having a cog in the machine mentality rather than an alpha mentality.  It's hard to be aggressive and hit your fits with true ferocity and play totally free when you give up so much size to everyone.  You basically have to be a crazy person like Reuben Foster in order to play like that at that size.  And if you're always reading and reacting, you're just not going to be able to get ahead on reps and make a ton of plays around the line of scrimmage, no matter how fast you are.  But in a MIKE, I really want a tone setter if I'm spending a premium draft pick on the position.

I liked what I saw in Burns's film quite a bit more than what I saw in Sweat's film.  TBH, I think Sweat is being overrated.  Voch Lombardi called him a clunky player, and I think he is right.  He doesn't have a lot of explosiveness in his game and he's pretty stiff.  He gathers himself up to change tracks, and the speed off the line is nothing special--disappointing because of how good his 40 was.  The play strength is average.  The rush technique is raw.  The physicality is nothing special.

IMO Burns is a far better edge rusher.  He is very explosive off the line and he can glide around the field like a basketball player too.  And his ankle flexion is outstanding.  Plus he flows into his counters with a lot more skill.  His play strength is below average, and you know you're going to have to take him off the field on obvious run downs.  But for what he is, I think he is better than Sweat.  You're getting a better wide rusher and stunter and it's not like Sweat is a lock down edge defender at the point of attack.

I like Ferrell quite a bit better than both.  I think he's a leader of your defense type of Alpha player.  A culture changer who doesn't come off the field.  But I'm also not convinced that it's smart to play him as either a five technique or a rush linebacker when he is so clearly a 7-9 technique.  He can probably be a decent 5 tech, but he was a special player at Clemson playing 7-9 in the four man line.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just saying, if we go by Dominator score and Breakout Age, then Parris Campbell is in the low percentiles of 31% and 34% respectively.  A lot of his success in college has revolved around quick crosses, screens, and the like.  That's going to be in every college WR's game, but it was a higher portion for Campbell.

So, late breakout age, and one could argue Campbell is still about as raw as can be for most NFL routes.  In comparison, despite getting injured and missing half the season, and despite everyone agreeing he's raw.  D.K. Metcalf has his percentiles as 58% and 72%.

For the record, Campbell's speedy teammate, Terry McLaurin doesn't qualify.  He doesn't have a breakout age because he never hit the minimum threshold.  He's also about to turn 24 (I think).  I've soured pretty sharply on McLaurin since the Senior Bowl.  Day 3 pick?  Sure, but we've got too many holes to take risks on someone with red flags like that.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we're going to draft a smallish stack linebacker with the intent to eventually play him next to Reuben, I like the value of taking Te'Von Coney 100-140 a lot more than White at 15 or Bush at 46.  I think he's a noticeably better run defender than both of them, and I think he made strides in his coverages this year to the point where he won't crap his pants if he has to guard a flat or curl.

White will appropriately go top ten and a favorite of mine. With White gone I wouldn't have a problem with Bush at 15. After them the drop off in the middle is large.

Before knowing roster would be available all season I went through a lot of the ILB'ers and the one I kept looking going back to as a well rounded player was Joe Giles-Harris who is valued in the same area as Coney. I am interested to know you take on him. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I must admit as big  Sweat fan as I am I really am leaning to Burns with the 15 pick after reviewing lots of tape. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1.  Metcalf 1.48

2. P. Campbell 1.52

3. Isabella 1.53

Wonder if they are looking for X type receivers who are physical but also relatively fast:  Deebo Samuel (4.48, 1.60), AJ Brown (though he played slot in college) 4.49, 1.56, Arcega-Whiteside, (4.49, 1.58), Hakeem Butler, (4.48, 1.59)

They all have nicks in their armor and the more a watch, the more I lean back to Deebo atop my favorite WR board. The other guys in no order Marquise, Isabella, Butler and Harry. 

51 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I must admit as big  Sweat fan as I am I really am leaning to Burns with the 15 pick after reviewing lots of tape. 

They all have nicks in their armor and the more a watch, the more I lean back to Deebo atop my favorite WR board. The other guys in no order Marquise, Isabella, Butler and Harry. 

I've watched a lot of Burns.  Love him as a player.  He's not just fast but also twitchy with loose hips, great bend and plays with a serious motor.  He's bring a component to this defense we don't have right now.   As for Sweat, his measurables make him a freak.  The speed, the crazy long arms.  And I know metric wise he was good against the run.  Burns not as much so.  But I confess i haven't watched much Sweat aside from the senior bowl week.  I'll get to it though. 

As for receiver, there are multiple guys I like.  The only one I love is Marquise Brown but have concerns about his injury and playing at that size.   Yeah I think Deebo is a high floor guy.  I'd love to take him in the 2nd.  I took him in the board's mock draft ironically in the 2nd.  I am warming up some to AJ Brown as potentially a high floor guy.  I am intrigued by Hakeem Nicks, Arcega-Whiteside, Isabella, Harry among others. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched a lot of Burns.  Love him as a player.  He's not just fast but also twitchy with loose hips, great bend and plays with a serious motor.  He's bring a component to this defense we don't have right now.   As for Sweat, his measurables make him a freak.  The speed, the crazy long arms.  And I know metric wise he was good against the run.  Burns not as much so.  But I confess i haven't watched much Sweat aside from the senior bowl week.  I'll get to it though. 

As for receiver, they are multiple guys I like.  The only one I love is Marquise Brown but have concerns about his injury and playing at that size.   Yeah I think Deebo is a high floor guy.  I'd love to take him in the 2nd.  I took him in the board's mock draft ironically in the 2nd.  I am warming up some to AJ Brown as potentially a high floor guy.  I am intrigued by Hakeem Nicks, Arcega-Whiteside, Isabella, Harry among others. 

The edge is just really tough to figure what they are looking for. The best thing is there will possibly be three options for them to pick at 15, that never happens. Of course we all hope a trade back will work out as there is a great need for more picks. What else is nice is there are some decent options for edge in the next two rounds.

IMO they must come out of this draft with a WR capable of lining up any where and bringing speed. There are some good not great options and while I don't think any are worth being picked at 15, there are a large group that are equal and can go any place from the end of the first to the beginning of the third round. If nothing changes they need to use their 2nd rounder on a WR. Deebo with their 2 would be great. 

The defense is turning out very nicely, so outside of an edge rusher, the priority should be to land lots of offensive talent. I like Kiper's mock, but I'd wait until the stacked 2020 draft for a QB and pile up WR and OL talent for him in the meanwhile. This is such an immensely crappy offense outside of RB that I feel like any QB we pick up would be thrown to the wolves.

The only wrinkle is if someone we're eyeing at QB falls far. Then you might have to take a flyer. 

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for receiver, they are multiple guys I like.  The only one I love is Marquise Brown but have concerns about his injury and playing at that size.   Yeah I think Deebo is a high floor guy.  I'd love to take him in the 2nd.  I took him in the board's mock draft ironically in the 2nd.  I am warming up some to AJ Brown as potentially a high floor guy.  I am intrigued by Hakeem Nicks, Arcega-Whiteside, Isabella, Harry among others. 

Sweat is a frustratingly difficult guy to nail down. There are so many contradictory pieces of evidence. I watch his tape and don't see a guy who's overly explosive or twitchy yet he had an exceptional 10 yard split (1.55 which is better than Burns or Bosa), a very good broad jump, and a very good vertical...all of which seems to point to a really explosive athlete. To me it just doesn't seem to show up on the film though. Not sure what the deal is. 

I noticed that Sweat was involved in lots of stunts and seemed to be reading keys a lot before reacting as opposed to being able to pin his ears back and go after the QB so maybe the scheme had something to do with it. But he just doesn't look on film like he's using the athleticism he obviously has. 

19 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I do think that drafting for safety and need are problematic. We could have has Derwin James, Maurice Hurst, and Tim Settle last year, instead of Payne, Apke and Settle. That isn't hindsight on my part. Many on the board were screaming for those players. Sure, we missed on Doctson and Cravens, but that wasn't even the current regime. WR's have a high bust rate. That is just going to happen sometimes. And I'd rather swing and miss on a playmaker in the 2nd than draft Trent Murphy or Ryan Anderson. Jesus. I like Anderson, but those guys were always what all of the fans on this board said they were, low ceiling players. Their likely best case scenario didn't justify a 2nd. I don't like Ben Banogu until the 3rd this year, but give me a Ben Banogu over a Murphy/Anderson any day. 

Not to mention, in getting Murphy, we gave Dallas Lawrence. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1.  Metcalf 1.48

2. P. Campbell 1.52

3. Isabella 1.53

Great post.  Again, I like Campbell but I think we need an OL in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.  I think the 1st 3 you have listed in your 10 YD split are gone in the 2nd but I wouldn't mind McLaurin in the 3rd or possibly Hall but would prefer McLaurin.  If Sweat is not there I'd be ok with Burns but I'd rather spend the #15 overall on Bush instead.  I rank Burns lower than #15.  Just my opinion with all due respect, SIP.  :)

23 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Montez's 40 time was pretty shocking because he doesn't play very fast at the DE position.  He's a very gifted long strider who runs like a basketball athlete.  That showed up in the blazing 40 time.  But he doesn't have any twitch, which shows up on the football field.  The first step is a big step down from Clelin, which is why I'd draft Clelin ahead of him.

Watching the sr bowl I thought Sweat moved much differently than Clelin. I like both, but Sweat looks much more explosive & showed more agility at the combine than Allen, Burns or Ferrell. I think Sweat has the potential to be the best defensive player in the draft, but he definitely has a lot to work on, all he uses is speed/power/length. His short shuttle & 3 cone were the surprises to me, I think he bettered Clowney in everything but the vertical.

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Great post.  Again, I like Campbell but I think we need an OL in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.  I think the 1st 3 you have listed in your 10 YD split are gone in the 2nd but I wouldn't mind McLaurin in the 3rd or possibly Hall but would prefer McLaurin.  If Sweat is not there I'd be ok with Burns but I'd rather spend the #15 overall on Bush instead.  I rank Burns lower than #15.  Just my opinion with all due respect, SIP.  :)

Sure.  Though I wasn't saying that I want Campbell in the 2nd -- was just repeating that I recall one of the beat reporters said watch out for Campbell in the 2nd.  

I like McLaurin and talked about him some here in the past.   There are multiple receivers I like in the 2nd-early 3rd range.  Hoffman said today there is some concern that there will be a run of receivers in the late first-early 2nd right before their pick.  That point reminds me of the same thing that was said about the RB position last year.

As for the draft, I am somewhat Zen as to my approach.  I like to go with the flow so how it shakes out for me depends on what happens.  In theory for example, I think pass rusher is a no brainer at 15.  But what for example happens if some team offers a killer trade down opportunity?  Or lets say TJ Hockenson falls to 15?   Then all of a sudden it could change looking at the draft theoretically position by position. 

If I am working purely on theory I can do it in different ways.  Lets say Burns at 15.  Deebo or Nicks or Harry or whatever receiver they like at their 2nd rounder -- maybe even trade down a little like they did last year in the 2nd to get a third or recoup the 4th they lost.  Then in the third Sternberger and Samia?

Or lets say they trade down.  Cody Ford in the first.  Winovich in the 2nd.  With the third take a TE like Knox and a receiver like McLaurin. 

For me I think they need to find a way to add another pick in the first three rounds to exploit the potential of this draft because you got a really rich draft for TE and Edge.  And there is a major need for O line and WR.   And this isn't even factoring QB.  So in short, I think we are likely going to be dissapointed as to all major needs being addressed in this draft. 

It almost begs for them to trade down and try to add 2 more picks in the top 3 rounds.   But then, pass rushers don't grow on trees so can you trade down if Burns or Ferrell are starring at you at 15?  I think the sweet spot for the better receivers will be early 2nd round including their pick.  But if they trade for Rosen or take a QB at that spot then that's not happening.   So I think they have some tough decisions to make. 

Apparently Rashan Gary's sophomore film is better than his junior film.  I've only seen his junior cut ups, which were pretty bad and left me thinking third round developmental talent.  A much better showing as a sophomore is the only thing I can think of to explain why draftniks have been putting him in the top ten.  Maybe he was playing hurt this season.

But even if his sophomore tape was a lot better, I'm not sure how you go from being a good player to being what I saw.  An injury could explain some of the softness in his play, but it wouldn't explain suddenly having crap instincts and zero pass rushing skill...

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Apparently Rashan Gary's sophomore film is better than his junior film.  I've only seen his junior cut ups, which were pretty bad and left me thinking third round developmental talent.  A much better showing as a sophomore is the only thing I can think of to explain why draftniks have been putting him in the top ten.  Maybe he was playing hurt this season.

But even if his sophomore tape was a lot better, I'm not sure how you go from being a good player to being what I saw.  An injury could explain some of the softness in his play, but it wouldn't explain suddenly having crap instincts and zero pass rushing skill...

There is buzz that he's falling.  Many of the draftnik's have him in their top 15.  I have no idea where he's going.  I thought NYG simply because they love size and speed when they draft.  All I know is that I don't want him.  That being said, if there's one guy who could motivate him its Tomsula.

Archived