Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

DJ's Mock also has Giants taking Daniel Jones at #6... man, oh man do I hope this is right... will allow a (far) better player to slip to us at 15, the Giants will vastly overpay for a crappy QB that will set their franchise back (another) 4-5 years, and they'll continue to suck for several more years... that is a win-win for the Skins...

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If the draft does break like that, it's going to hurt to not trade up for Haskins despite him following into a realistic range to do so.

Its early of course, but how would you rank these QBs at this point:

Haskins

Herbert

Tua

Fromm

Eason

Patterson 

Costello

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If the draft does break like that, it's going to hurt to not trade up for Haskins despite him following into a realistic range to do so.

I've only watched 2 games of Haskins.  In them, I can see what some love and also what his critics see, too.  I've been mostly agnostic about him for that reason.  The main reason why I haven't dived in more was because I thought i'd be wasting my time.  But I've seen enough rumbling like the tweet below that's making me think its not that crazy to take a look at him.

One thing I'll give the Redskins FO with their leaks.  They've successfully confused the heck out of me as to what they are thinking as to QB.    And i am a draft news junkie so I digest everything I can. But depending on the source they either like or don't like:  Drew Lock, and Haskins.  Daniel Jones is ranged from they like to are intrigued with concerns.  Some smoke around Will Grier.  the only thing that seems consistent from source to source is them loving Murray. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Unless.... Gruden (and others in the FO) don't think Haskins is truly ready to come in and start from Day 1... it's becoming increasingly obvious that in the "cover our butts" mindset they all have, whoever is picked at 15 better be ready to hit the field immediately.... now whether that decision is short-sighted and detrimental to the long-term prospects of the team is certainly debatable... would all depend on how highly one thinks of Haskins in the long run (and from what I've read, you defintely are high on him, mr. mcqueen!)  ;)

52 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Green Bay dumped the coach Rodgers hated - & then they use their first rounder on a QB, fascinating.

Going to the home stretch if you judge it based on beat reporter scuttlebutt and meetings -- your fear of Grier might come into play on draft day.  Ditto my fear of Daniel Jones. 😀

16 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

DJ's Mock also has Giants taking Daniel Jones at #6... man, oh man do I hope this is right... will allow a (far) better player to slip to us at 15, the Giants will vastly overpay for a crappy QB that will set their franchise back (another) 4-5 years, and they'll continue to suck for several more years... that is a win-win for the Skins...

I'd get such a jolt if the Giants take Jones at #6.  To me Jones in short is a tougher version of Alex Smith (tougher in the pocket) but isn't as good because of his turnover issues.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up a marginal starter so he might not be a bust.  But I'd be stunned if he ends up a franchise QB. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going to the home stretch if you judge it based on beat reporter scuttlebutt and meetings -- your fear of Grier might come into play on draft day.  Ditto my fear of Daniel Jones. 😀

I would love it if we took Grier, giving you guys a close look at how bad he is would be entertaining & could only enhance our chances of landing Trevor Lawrence. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd get such a jolt if the Giants take Jones at #6.  To me Jones in short is a tougher version of Alex Smith (tougher in the pocket) but isn't as good because of his turnover issues.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up a marginal starter so he might not be a bust.  But I'd be stunned if he ends up a franchise QB. 

DJ only a month or two behind.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I too would be stunned if Jones ends up anywhere close to a franchise QB.  Being a UNC alum, I've watched more Duke football than anyone in their right mind ever should ( :) ).... I'm still very surprised that Jones is regarded so much more highly than Finley from NC State... 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Green Bay dumped the coach Rodgers hated - & then they use their first rounder on a QB, fascinating.

Their quote made me realize things I had not before.  Maybe because I was so much younger when the Favre and Rodgers situation just started, or maybe QB's just age so much more gracefully now.

Favre was 36 years old when Rodgers was drafted to be his eventual replacement.  Rodgers is 36 years old right now.

We paid big money for Landon Collins, he's awful in coverage in some facets, but good in others.  If he plays some "LB" on occasion in Nickel/Dime, that would play to his coverage strengths.

Instead of drafting a LB in the 1st, what if we drafted a versatile safety in the 2nd?

Shaun Dion-Hamilton resumes his role as a two down linebacker alongside Reuben Foster.  SDH was also the Mike LB alongside Foster when they were both at Alabama.  So familiarity is already there.  Then in passing situations, SDH is taken off the field, Reuben Foster stays, and we rotate safeties in spots and for matchups.  Landon Collins comes into the box at times.  We have Nicholson/Apke back in more of a Cover 1, Single High look.  Then the other guy is someone who can rotate between a variety of coverage roles, what about Taylor Rapp, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, or Juan Thornhill in the 2nd round?  You can move these guys around a bit.

Both those guys project to be a little more adept in more coverages than Landon Collins.  It's a "3-safety" defense, which has won Championships before (Packers in 2010 and Giants in 2011).  It also crushed the Ravens in the last playoffs.

35 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I would love it if we took Grier, giving you guys a close look at how bad he is would be entertaining & could only enhance our chances of landing Trevor Lawrence.

Better start preparing yourself, because Grier will be selected by the Skins in the 2nd.

We have no chance at Lawrence. There are too many teams that will not hesitate to tank a season for that pick.

50 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Its early of course, but how would you rank these QBs at this point: 

Haskins

Herbert

Tua 

Fromm

Eason 

Patterson  

Costello

1. Tua

2. Haskins

3. Costello

4. Herbert

5. Fromm

6. Patterson

I don't know where to put Eason yet.  I need to see what he does this year first.  I could see Costello matching Haskins by the end of next season, but they're the same age.  If Haskins had stuck around another year, he'd probably show a lot of growth too.  I'm pretty firm on the other spots though.  I guess Herbert could shock me with a ton of growth this year, but I think I've got him fairly well pegged.  Fromm doesn't have the physical upside of the other ones, and I wasn't very impressed with Patterson.

Eason I'm not sure about yet.  I need to see what he does this year.

39 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Their quote made me realize things I had not before.  Maybe because I was so much younger when the Favre and Rodgers situation just started, or maybe QB's just age so much more gracefully now.

Favre was 36 years old when Rodgers was drafted to be his eventual replacement.  Rodgers is 36 years old right now.

Incidentally, Favre went on to have his best season ever under the extraordinary tutelage of QB coach Kevin Rogers. GB gives up on a guy, the Jets quit on him, & uncle Kevin turns him into an mvp candidate. Unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Better start preparing yourself, because Grier will be selected by the Skins in the 2nd.

We have no chance at Lawrence. There are too many teams that will not hesitate to tank a season for that pick.

If we play Grier, no one can stand in our way. 

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He certainly looks intriguing but good lord those defenders in those clips were awful. 

Look like the ES flag football backups. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1. Tua

2. Haskins

3. Costello

4. Herbert

5. Fromm

6. Patterson

I don't know where to put Eason yet.  I need to see what he does this year first.  I could see Costello matching Haskins by the end of next season, but they're the same age.  If Haskins had stuck around another year, he'd probably show a lot of growth too.  I'm pretty firm on the other spots though.  I guess Herbert could shock me with a ton of growth this year, but I think I've got him fairly well pegged.  Fromm doesn't have the physical upside of the other ones, and I wasn't very impressed with Patterson.

Eason I'm not sure about yet.  I need to see what he does this year.

You have piqued my interest in Costello.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

DJ only a month or two behind.

LOL, yeah I am straddling the fence though on Grier.  It's actually rare for me to straddle like that.  😀  I am not swearing by him but don't hate him either.  To me he's a wildcard.  But for those here who dig him and say why not?  I am with them on that point.  I think any QB taken outside of the first round you are taking a chance on.  So I don't mind taking risks at that point. 

I wouldn't have an issue with Daniel Jones for example if they took him in the 2nd round.   You have some things to work with as to his play.  But on the aggregate I am underwhelmed by the dude. So I don't see him as a first rounder. 

I have to start watching more Haskins.  You got from what I noticed two groups on him.

Group A.  The dude is accurate.  He has a rocket of an arm.  He can read defenses.  He's a master as to exploiting the middle of the field with mesh concepts  He makes beautiful deep throws.  He has a quick release.  He works hard -- good guy with really good intangibles. 

Group B:  He crumbles under pressure.  He doesn't have good touch on short passes.  His accuracy drops like a rock as soon as he is rattled and he's rattled easily.   His receivers made his stats inflated via YAC off of short passes.  His team typically was better than their opponents so he had the wind at his back.   He has slow feet and his movement in the pocket isn't hot and will get sacked plenty in the NFL.

I've seen some of both thoughts in the 2 games I've watched.  Some people I respect really like his game.  Some people I respect really don't care for his game.  So got to watch more. 😀 I've procrastinated the most on Haskins. 

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You have piqued my interest in Costello.

I like him.  He's just real, real smooth and consistent.  The arm strength isn't in the same world as Haskins, and certainly not as strong as Herbert's.  But it's pretty good.  His ball placement is a lot better than Herbert's.  Good pocket presence.  Operates a very vertical passing game where he makes a lot of NFL throws.  The only big issue with him is he's slow.  But I don't mind statue QBs if they are fluid in the pocket and don't play scared.  And honestly, I don't think the flashier and more athletic QBs like Lock and Herbert handle the grind of quarterbacking as well, because they're not as consistent and effortless in how they go through progressions and set up for their throws.  When we're talking about 40+ throws a game, I want someone with a very repeatable process and even keel to be a workhorse passer for me.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, yeah I am straddling the fence though on Grier.  It's actually rare for me to straddle like that.  😀  I am not swearing by him but don't hate him either.  To me he's a wildcard.  But for those here who dig him and say why not?  I am with them on that point.  I think any QB taking outside of the first round you are taking a chance on.  So I don't mind taking risks at that point. 

The gifs I shared of Haskins v PSU & MSU were brutal. He’s so gifted, I really wish he returned to school simply because he went to HS in Maryland & I pull for everyone who played in Old Bay town USA. 

When his his feet are moving, he’s erratic. He had nothing but 4.3 WRs & 5 star RBs with 5 star OL. He can make every throw, but he looks far too uncomfortable with pressure, sometimes he looks disastrous when he moves... that’s why I prefer Lock, he just looks more comfortable, he’s taken so many snaps, he doesn’t need to find a comfort level, around pressure, in the NFL; Haskins does, and that is a tall ask.

I really hope we just deal for Rosen & Sweat falls to us. That’s the ideal draft for me right now. In round 3, I’ve seen Baker falling to the 60s, that would be a tantalizing move up .. but I’m anti-move-up. McGary in 3 after Rosen & Sweat... & prepare for day 3.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen some of both thoughts in the 2 games I've watched.  Some people I respect really like his game.  Some people I respect really don't care for his game.  So got to watch more. 😀 I've procrastinated the most on Haskins.  

One thing to keep in mind with Haskins is he's got a '97 birthday and he's only got a year of starting experience.  To be that good and productive, while that young, and in that particular system, it's special.  He's a precocious kid and he's a long way away from hitting his potential.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like him.  He's just real, real smooth and consistent.  The arm strength isn't in the same world as Haskins, and certainly not as strong as Herbert's.  But it's pretty good.  His ball placement is a lot better than Herbert's.  Good pocket presence.  Operates a very vertical passing game where he makes a lot of NFL throws.  The only big issue with him is he's slow.  But I don't mind statue QBs if they are fluid in the pocket and don't play scared.  And honestly, I don't think the flashier and more athletic QBs like Lock and Herbert handle the grind of quarterbacking as well, because they're not as consistent and effortless in how they go through progressions and set up for their throws.  When we're talking about 40+ throws a game, I want someone with a very repeatable process and even keel to be a workhorse passer for me.

The gun slinger look is gorgeous, but nearly impossible to pull off in the NFL. Finding the next Mahomes will probably move Lock up, but you have a strong inner QB coach in your soul. Lock makes a lot of coaches barf while scouts salivate. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The gun slinger look is gorgeous, but nearly impossible to pull off in the NFL. Finding the next Mahomes will probably move Lock up, but you have a strong inner QB coach in your soul. Lock makes a lot of coaches barf while scouts salivate.  

He's got a genuine golden arm.  The ability to make something out of nothing is valuable, it's one of the things I loved the most about RGIII.  It's a big source of added value at the QB position, and it can make mediocre OCs look good.

But I think QB is more like OL as a kind of marathon position, whereas RB, TE, and WR are sprint positions.  QBs and OLs have got to be really resilient and consistent and rhyhmic whereas the pass catchers and runners are looking to playmake on much more limited touches.  Patrick Mahomes is a genius and unbelievably valuable player, but I just don't think there are many players who can legitimately reach that kind of stratosphere: Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers are all I can come up with.

I don't need a player like them to run a good passing game.  I'll gladly take a Phil Rivers or Matt Ryan.  Someone super tough, consistent, accurate, and who demonstrates the ability to rapidly bounce back from mistakes.

Archived