Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think the evangelicals are orgasmic today.  It will not shock, if 9 months from now; you will see an increase in births.

 

This is what evangelicals have been waiting for.  To be able to put a right wing judge that will change the direction of the court.  Abortion gone. Gay marriage gone.  Thier White Christian theocracy dreams, finally able to be realized.

 

 

 

Obergfell may survive the ****storm that is about to come. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where a case where it could be overturned gets to them. And I have to think Roberts would be somewhat loathe to have his court overturn a landmark decision in under a decade. I can't think of a precedent for that.

 

Having said that, Roe is gone. Alabama or Mississippi will pass a law outlawing abortion after the first trimester and imposing some kind of crazy-ass waiting period, the court will say that clears the undue burden test from Casey, and that's ballgame.

 

The only question is if and when the federal regulations are going to come in.

 

That's really the key here. You can regulate abortion to the point where it's practically impossible to provide the service. That's really the end goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only liberal response to saving Roe and abortion rights will have to be pressure on the private sector to not conduct official business in any state that assaults women’s reproductive rights. 

 

Abortion access is magnitudes more important than the trans bathroom bills that were defeated through these measures. 

 

A complete and total economic backlash against any ****hole state. The only serious political voice liberals have is the economic might of their cities.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there are things Trump has done that could get thrown out with a more conservative court or different judges, like tariffs, or would they just give him more power to do what he wants (assuming maybe naively that they wouldn't just corruptly rubber stamp his policies and actually decide based on the law or their beliefs)?

 

Mostly, just looking for some kind of tiny silver lining....

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, visionary said:

I wonder if there are things Trump has done that could get thrown out with a more conservative court or different judges, like tariffs, or would they just give him more power to do what he wants (assuming maybe naively that they wouldn't just corruptly rubber stamp his policies and actually decide based on the law or their beliefs)?

 

Mostly, just looking for some kind of tiny silver lining....

 

There is none. You’re wasting your time. It was said in the lead up to the 2016 election that the ramifications would be in the court systen

 

bayer is 79. Ginsberg is 85. They are the oldest. 

 

There is complete reason to believe trump can win another 4 years. No major war, good economy, dismantle the epa, roll back regulations, stick your finger in nato and the un’s eye, and stack the Supreme Court? They’ve already overlooked his character and ineptitude once. They will see all those things as wins

 

the fight was 2 years ago and the winner was declared then. Can Ginsberg make it to 91? Better to 76?

 

trump might appoint 5 scotus depending on how things go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past week, Kennedy has completely destroyed his legacy.  The man will not be remembered as a swing vote, nor should he be.

 

In the past week he has voted rightwing in basically every decision.  At best he could be said to have moderated the extreme right wingers, but that is a small compliment compared to potentially being remembered as a hugely influential independent voice and swing vote.

 

Further, his stupidest move, that if it were in the World Cup would be the worse own goal ever seen, is retiring right now.

 

People will remember Kennedy as much for when he retired as for his votes.

 

If he waited until January 3, then he could safely say he was putting his replacement in the hands of the Americans voters (doubly so if the man had given two ****s about voting rights this term).

 

Instead, he hands his seat willingly to a President under investigation for collusion with a hostile foreign power and a Congressional majority who played politics with the last seat.

 

Kennedy just made his legacy this week.

 

It's not a good one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Broad legacies don’t mean a damn thing to conservatives. 

 

Only liberals live in this fantasy land where majority opinion holds any weight. 

 

Conservatives have lost majority votes in 6 of the last 7 Presidential elections and yet we are facing the most extremely right wing court in modern US history.

 

The conclusion in American politics is that you govern ruthlessly and abuse whatever power you are given. Liberals really need to get over their boner for decorum and ideals. 

 

Do **** first, explain never. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tshile said:

 

There is none. You’re wasting your time. It was said in the lead up to the 2016 election that the ramifications would be in the court systen

 

bayer is 79. Ginsberg is 85. They are the oldest. 

 

There is complete reason to believe trump can win another 4 years. No major war, good economy, dismantle the epa, roll back regulations, stick your finger in nato and the un’s eye, and stack the Supreme Court? They’ve already overlooked his character and ineptitude once. They will see all those things as wins

 

the fight was 2 years ago and the winner was declared then. Can Ginsberg make it to 91? Better to 76?

 

trump might appoint 5 scotus depending on how things go. 

 

If the GOP rushes through this and goes for the throat on Roe v Wade and SSM as so many assume, I can't help but assume Trump's incumbency chances will be severely impacted. These are issues with a noted majority opinion that is growing over time. People generally aren't wild about losing rights. 

 

Of course, I don't personally believe we will see enormous shifts of that nature until Trump's second term, if it happens. But I've been taken aback by incompetence countless times over the past 18 months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had bookmarked that post from one of the major left-leaning posters from about a month or two ago explaining how the country has largely moved to the left over the last decade. 

 

I meant to go but forgot. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

 

If the GOP rushes through this and goes for the throat on Roe v Wade and SSM as so many assume, I can't help but assume Trump's incumbency chances will be severely impacted. These are issues with a noted majority opinion that is growing over time. People generally aren't wild about losing rights. 

 

Of course, I don't personally believe we will see enormous shifts of that nature until Trump's second term, if it happens. But I've been taken aback by incompetence countless times over the past 18 months. 

 

Even if we assume your conventional polical wisdom is accurate, and I’m not so sure it is because there are a lot of people not voting in abortion because they consider it settled law and I am unsure how things change if everyone realizes it’s not settled and it’s up for a vote again...

 

conventional political wisdom doesn’t seen to apply to trump or his supporters

 

if it did he wouldn’t have gotten out of the primaries 

Edited by tshile
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tshile said:

I wish I had bookmarked that post from one of the major left-leaning posters from about a month or two ago explaining how the country has largely moved to the left over the last decade. 

 

I meant to go but forgot. 

 

It was probably me and it pretty much has. 

 

On civil rights issues, America as a whole, is as left as it has ever been. What right wing judicial decisions have allowed is certain enclaves of this country to move forward with egregious violations of basic civil rights: see what Alabama has done to disenfranchise black voters for instance since the SC struck down parts of the VRA a few years ago. 

 

I fear that more of this is on the horizon as a conservative Supreme Court starts dismantling federal civil rights protections.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately the fundamental failure is with the democratic party, knowing the emails were there, rigging the primary's, and trotting out a personality that was not well liked. I voted for her, by im a popular vote, not an impact vote.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

Ultimately the fundamental failure is with the democratic party, knowing the emails were there, rigging the primary's, and trotting out a personality that was not well liked. I voted for her, by im a popular vote, not an impact vote.


A lot of people failed and that definitely includes those you mentioned. So, let's all leave it at that before we go down the blame game rabbit hole :)

Ugh, this SCOTUS **** makes me so angry. Just more stuff that makes me seriously consider getting out of this country in the next 5 years. I've already promised my Wife that if he get's re-elected we'll get the hell out of here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Ultimately the fundamental failure is with the democratic party, knowing the emails were there, rigging the primary's, and trotting out a personality that was not well liked. I voted for her, by im a popular vote, not an impact vote.

Which by the way should be the vote, this dumb ass electoral college seems to me to be a way to rig the system, but who am I... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:


A lot of people failed and that definitely includes those you mentioned. So, let's all leave it at that before we go down the blame game rabbit hole :)

Ugh, this SCOTUS **** makes me so angry. Just more stuff that makes me seriously consider getting out of this country in the next 5 years. I've already promised my Wife that if he get's re-elected we'll get the hell out of here.

No I agree,  I consider leaving daily, this country is doing things that have nothing in common with my moral beliefs or what feels right. I am afraid for what my daughter may encounter in the future by an up rise in racist behavior since dictator trump took office.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Liberal states and cities aren’t turning into right wing theocratic hellholes because of an extreme right wing Supreme Court.

 

However, this country is going to be socially fractured and probably economically fractured in 10 years in ways that we can’t imagine right now

Edited by No Excuses
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

No I agree,  I consider leaving daily, this country is doing things that have nothing in common with my moral beliefs or what feels right. I am afraid for what my daughter may encounter in the future by an up rise in racist behavior since dictator trump took office.


I feel you man it's crazy to even have to think it, but even crazier to think of what the future might bring. I wish you and your daughters and family the best man. I feel the same fear for my sisters growing up in this ****. I worry when the next Muslim ban will come and take more countries away and if that will keep me from ever seeing my mother again.

My wife has nightmares and PTSD triggers from living with this guy in office. I won't let her face that again and again for the next however many years.

Edited by Fresh8686
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Liberal states and cities aren’t turning into right wing theocratic hellholes because of an extreme right wing Supreme Court.

 

However, this country is going to be socially fractured and probably economically fractured in 10 years in ways that we can’t imagine right now

Does it not feel like we are back on the path to confederacy, where states like NY, Cali, MD want to succeed from the union... 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Red States are going to lose anyway.  Look at West Virginia.  Worst state in the country.  Midwest isn't far behind.  I hope immigrants don't move to those areas.  They need to be punished long-term.  And actually by all means move to states like Texas or Georgia that will eventually go blue.

Conservatives are going to realize that they aren't going to win, especially when people put pressure on corporations (No Excuses pointed that out above).  Think North Carolina and all those companies giving them major economic pressure.

I guess liberals have figured out how to punish extreme conservatism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:


I feel you man it's crazy to even have to think it, but even crazier to think of what the future might bring. I wish you and your daughters and family the best man. I feel the same fear for my sisters growing up in this ****. I worry when the next Muslim ban will come and take more countries away and if that will keep me from ever seeing my mother again.

My wife has nightmares and PTSD triggers from living with this guy in office. I won't let her face that again and again for the next however many years.

Sad part is Im white as white can get, Irish/German. So I guess im lucky in that my daughter carries my heritage by name and complexion, but the Jewish faith. I just have no idea where this hate mongering comes from. I cant look at another human as inferior to me because the pigment of there skin is different, its the dumbest ass thing ever.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Does it not feel like we are back on the path to confederacy, where states like NY, Cali, MD want to succeed from the union... 

 

pretty sure they want to divide from themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not leaving my liberal SoCal bubble anytime soon, that's for damn sure. My wife has a large extended family in Indiana and she's made the hard choice to move on with her life at this point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

In the past week, Kennedy has completely destroyed his legacy.  The man will not be remembered as a swing vote, nor should he be.

 

In the past week he has voted rightwing in basically every decision.  At best he could be said to have moderated the extreme right wingers, but that is a small compliment compared to potentially being remembered as a hugely influential independent voice and swing vote.

 

Further, his stupidest move, that if it were in the World Cup would be the worse own goal ever seen, is retiring right now.

 

People will remember Kennedy as much for when he retired as for his votes.

 

If he waited until January 3, then he could safely say he was putting his replacement in the hands of the Americans voters (doubly so if the man had given two ****s about voting rights this term).

 

Instead, he hands his seat willingly to a President under investigation for collusion with a hostile foreign power and a Congressional majority who played politics with the last seat.

 

Kennedy just made his legacy this week.

 

It's not a good one.

Damn, I wonder what would have happened if he had retired a month ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Liberal states and cities aren’t turning into right wing theocratic hellholes because of an extreme right wing Supreme Court.

We'll see what Sessions and co have to say about that unfortunately and in whose favor the increasingly Trump-packed courts will decide.

Edited by visionary
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Sad part is Im white as white can get, Irish/German. So I guess im lucky in that my daughter carries my heritage by name and complexion, but the Jewish faith. I just have no idea where this hate mongering comes from. I cant look at another human as inferior to me because the pigment of there skin is different, its the dumbest ass thing ever.... 

 

Nothing sad about that man. There is nothing to be ashamed of for being white, or no need for a quasi-survivors guilt if you get what I'm saying. Regardless of skin color there is stress and pressure hitting people for having to live under **** that assaults their morals and strips them or the ones they care about of rights and liberties.

 

And yea, it's crazy how people attach their whole identity to nonsense ass **** like skin color. I'm so happy to be mixed and not have to deal with that.

But damn, I'm an ex-con, former muslim, white/black/arab mutt. The changing complexion of this government is not at all partial to my brand.

Edited by Fresh8686
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...