Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

10 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

This thread is funny. Akin to Republican reaction when Obama tapped Sotomayora. 

“Omg our country is doomed because the party that I don’t agree with is gaining more power and gonna do so much irreparable damage!!” 

it is kinda funny they think a Trump appointee is gonna be more conservative than a Reagan one.

• Like 2

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If you don’t have gun control, that’s what you will get, whether you want it or not.

Did I say I wanted them to remove all gun control?  (Looks a few posts up)  Nope!

But I will take a Right leaning SC over a Left one on that topic.  If you want a conversation on my views on particular gun control points, we need to take it to the right thread.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Trump gets 2 possibly 3 picks, that’s a shift of power. Ginsburg ain’t gonna live forever. This is a lot different. 

It was enough to lift the federal ban on gay marriage. Miraculously, three years later, we’re all here today.

2 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

i think those are fine gun laws actually, i own a shotgun, and a 38, i live in md... what more do i need?

It isn't about what YOU NEED.  Rights are bigger than that.  But this is my last post about gun control points.  This thread is about the SC.  

Just now, ddub52 said:

It was enough to lift the federal ban on gay marriage. Miraculously, three years later, we’re all here today.

Why in the world would you give a crap about that... If 2 dumbasses of any sex, creed, color, sexual preference want to do that, why do you care...

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It isn't about what YOU NEED.  Rights are bigger than that.  But this is my last post about gun control points.  This thread is about the SC.  

Sorry, I respect your insight, you've been here a long time as well as me, I dont post a lot, but get your drift. 

1 minute ago, ddub52 said:

Wow. Right over your head.

I suppose so, sorry, been on the defensive end a long time today.

• Like 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How so? Are you saying there is no difference between increasing personal freedom and decreasing it? increasing tolerance or decreasing it? 

I reread as no one thought it would stand, but its still here, hope im not wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How so? Are you saying there is no difference between increasing personal freedom and decreasing it? increasing tolerance or decreasing it? 

I wasn’t even talking to you. You’re off topic.

Just now, dcdiscokid said:

I reread as no one thought it would stand, but its still here, hope im not wrong.

Something along those lines. As I mentioned earlier, Republicans thought losing SCOTUS seats was the end of the world because judges would rule agains their beliefs. It happened, and we survived. 

It's amazing that as the population at large becomes more liberal, conservatives buckle down and find ways to maintain and increase their power.   The changing demographics should put an end to that over the next generation, but who knows what the laws/rules/restrictions will be by then.

Being governed by the principles of the minority.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Gay marriage, abortion, and voting rights (among others) won't be destroyed by the court by direct action.  It's doubtful even with Gorsuch 2.0 that the court would just straight up overturn Roe v. Wade.

But the chipping away that will occur will be tremendous, such that eventually abortion will be legal in name only, but from a practical standpoint will cease to exist in red states.  Gay Marriage will still be legal, but its extremely likely that all of the rights surrounding it will be challenged by red states, and the SCOTUS will uphold the limitations.

Indeed, this is part of why Kennedy's decision to retire at this time is so devastating to his legacy.  Of the four things we will likely be remembered for, his gay marriage decision was the only one that would be looked at fondly by future generations.

His retirement essentially guarantees that the impact of his decision in that case will shrink with time.  He is the instrument of his own gay rights legacy's demise, and he knows or should know it.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ddub52 said:

Something along those lines. As I mentioned earlier, Republicans thought losing SCOTUS seats was the end of the world because judges would rule agains their beliefs. It happened, and we survived. 

I love how the realization that “you survived” after failing to deny other Americans equal rights based on your religious beliefs (gay marriage) somehow speaks to a lack of need to worry about future Americans losing rights. 

Your life wasn’t impacted and was never going to be. That’s why you survived. People on the other side now actually stand to lose freedoms and equality. So it’s not something that they will just “survive” and get over it as you imply 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, ddub52 said:

Republicans have had a conservative majority on the court since Nixon and the court has grown increasingly extreme ever since.

9 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

But the chipping away that will occur will be tremendous, such that eventually abortion will be legal in name only, but from a practical standpoint will cease to exist in red states. 

Thank God the genocide will stop.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Deep down inside, conservatives like you are ok with Trump because of exactly this. 

Legitimize sexual abuse, mocking of the disabled, racism, xenophobia and all sorts of awful things so you can enforce your religious views on others.

It only took the most vile person in modern political history of this country to achieve your policy goals. That should tell you something about the moral views you adhere to.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

More religious conservative support for oppression of people who don't belong to their little cult.

Is that better or worse than pagan human sacrifice?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twa said:

Is that better or worse than pagan human sacrifice?

You really don’t have to pretend being pro-life at this point. It’s always been about the subjugation of women. 

It’s why your cult was ok with voting for a sexual abuser and a pedophile. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

It won't.  People with money will travel to Canada or legal carribean islands.  You'll see illegal importation of plan B pills.  The poor will have to resort to back alley procedures.  

Only way to truly stop abortion would be criminalize the mother and severely crack down.  But GOP doesn't have the appetite to go that far, because for many, it's a political issue, not a moral issue.  If it was a moral issue, where's the out cry against in-vitro procedures?

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

You really don’t have to pretend being pro-life at this point. It’s always been about the subjugation of women. 

It’s why your cult was ok with voting for a sexual abuser and a pedophile. 

yeah, I like to keep my women in check.:rofl89:

even minor restrictions are the end of the world to ya'll