Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

41 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Did I get that wrong?

Yes, you got that wrong.  

And you knew it, which is why you're trying to change what you said.  

No, I am not 2 centuries old.  And neither are you.  

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yes, you got that wrong.  

And you knew it, which is why you're trying to change what you said.  

No, I am not 2 centuries old.  And neither are you.  

Nah he wasn’t wrong. He counted it out for you. 

The document has spanned 4 centuries, as in existed within 4 difference centuries. 

if it still doesn’t make sense you can use your figures to count out how he listed it 

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

The document has spanned 4 centuries, as in existed within 4 difference centuries. 

Which does not make it 4 centuries old. 

You know, the words he used. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Did I get that wrong? 18th century..19th century...20th century...21st century. 🙂

Also...

In all fairness this is exactly what I meant I was just too busy being a smart ass to stop and read what I actually wrote

• Thumb up 2

The Supreme Court and 'The Shadow Docket'

The title sounds more like a thriller than a legal treatise. The Shadow Docket: How the Supreme Court uses stealth rulings to amass power and undermine the republic" — and the author, University of Texas law professor Stephen Vladeck, admits the term "shadow docket" is evocative.

Vladeck's book, written so it can be understood by the interested non-lawyer, focuses on a part of the court's work that until six or seven years was mainly viewed as pretty boring. That, however is no longer true, and today the emergency docket has come to be known as the shadow docket, a term coined in 2015 by University of Chicago law professor William Baude.

Justice Samuel Alito hates the term, and gave an hour-long speech in 2021 at Notre Dame, suggesting that journalists and politicians have seized on it to wrongly portray the court as "sneaky," "sinister," and "dangerous."

Nonetheless the term has stuck.

Professor Vladeck argues that the court has only itself to blame.

"What impelled me to write the book is that over the last six years, we've seen the shadow docket become a lot less boring because the Supreme Court, and especially the conservative majority, has been using unsigned and unexplained orders to a degree and in ways which really have no precedent in the court's history," he said in an interview with NPR.

Click on the link for more