Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: NY AG sues Trump family over “persistent illegal conduct” at Trump Foundation

No Excuses

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ny-prosecutors-indict-trump-org-insider-not-trump-sources-say-2021-06-29/

WASHINGTON, June 28 (Reuters) - New York prosecutors investigating former U.S. President Donald Trump's business practices are likely to issue one or more criminal indictments this week – but not against Trump himself, according to people involved in the case.

IMO, that's nice that his business practices are getting indicted...but if he's not personally getting indicted, well, that's just not why I'm here.  

If this revolves around Weisselberg and whatever perks he illegally obtained, my interest on this is pretty non-existent.  None of this really matters unless Trump himself somehow winds up behind bars (which won't happen) or if any of this stuff leads to that (again, not happening).  

Trump appears to be teflon, which is unfortunate.  

• Like 1

How does it work when criminal charges are leveled against an organization as opposed to an individual.  Headlines say charges are coming against Weisselberg AND the Trump Organization.  Who is on the hook for the criminal wrongdoing of the company?  I know the Citizens United case concluded corporations are people, but you can't throw a corporation in jail.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

How does it work when criminal charges are leveled against an organization as opposed to an individual.  Headlines say charges are coming against Weisselberg AND the Trump Organization.  Who is on the hook for the criminal wrongdoing of the company?  I know the Citizens United case concluded corporations are people, but you can't throw a corporation in jail.

https://www.upcounsel.com/can-a-corporation-be-charged-with-a-crime

This link has words, lots of them.  I didn’t read them, but it may answer your question.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The charges were filed against Weisselberg to put pressure on him.  Legally, this is like kicking a FG in the first quarter.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong but I suspect Trump will not face consequences.

10 hours ago, Dan T. said:

It doesn’t work.  Perdue Pharma plead guilty to a crime… and this allowed the individuals behind creating a literal drug epidemic to walk away free and clean.  The only thing they can do is fine companies.  Treating corporations like people in criminal cases is bull****.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I assume they can still keep pressuring him to flip once he's charged, right?

My understanding is they can but if he hasn't flipped yet, this probably won't be enough to convince him to now.

From what I have heard and read, I actually disagree with the route the government is taking here.  It seems to me that a very solid case is being made that things what not be going down this way if not for the fact it has the connections to Trump.  Cases such as these, if even brought at all, would be handled civilly instead of criminally.  I'm all for going after Trump, is organization, and his cronies for crimes they have committed.  But it should not be getting special treatment because of politics.  Thats just me though.  I'm sure I'll get roasted for this.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But it should not be getting special treatment because of politics.  Thats just me though.  I'm sure I'll get roasted for this.

- Trump University was a scam. 

- The Trump Foundation basically became a slush fund for Trump's personal and political benefit  and was ordered to shut down. 

- Trump conspired to help his father's business skirt taxes by setting up a sham corporation that padded invoices for his real estate expenses.

It's not politics when you're corrupt as a mother****er.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

- Trump University was a scam. 

- The Trump Foundation basically became a slush fund for Trump's personal and political benefit  and was ordered to shut down. 

- Trump conspired to help his father's business skirt taxes by setting up a sham corporation that padded invoices for his real estate expenses.

It's not politics when you're corrupt as a mother****er.

My understanding is these charges don't address any of these items.  

35 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay.  I was specifically talking about this case with the indictments yesterday.

And my point is that just because a person with a long history of corruption and criminal conduct decides to get into politics doesn't all of a sudden inoculate him from criminal investigation because prosecutors don't want to that investigation to be viewed as "political."  It's the other side of the coin you brought up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

My understanding is they can but if he hasn't flipped yet, this probably won't be enough to convince him to now.

From what I have heard and read, I actually disagree with the route the government is taking here.  It seems to me that a very solid case is being made that things what not be going down this way if not for the fact it has the connections to Trump.  Cases such as these, if even brought at all, would be handled civilly instead of criminally.  I'm all for going after Trump, is organization, and his cronies for crimes they have committed.  But it should not be getting special treatment because of politics.  Thats just me though.  I'm sure I'll get roasted for this.

Agree that Trump and his organization should not be getting special treatment (better or worse) because of politics.  I don't think they necessarily are in this matter.  The government has the burden to prove their claims beyond a reasonable doubt.  If the Trump organization committed crimes, and the government can prove it, then they should bring the case and punish them, just like they should in all cases.  

I think the only impact politics has is that Trump's entry into politics garnered him a whole lot of attention.  Well, if you are committing crimes, maybe don't draw so much attention.  Turns out criminals are often dummies.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

I’d be happy to be proven wrong but I suspect Trump will not face consequences.

One thing I heard that makes it so difficult to get to Trump is that he never used email. And he never writes anything down. Whether that's because he's got the mindset of a mob boss covering his tracks or that he's ****ing illiterate is beside the point. Everything is verbal with him so there's little paper trail.  That's why they need the cooperation of Trump Organization cronies to get to the Big (in more ways than one) Guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

One thing I heard that makes it so difficult to get to Trump is that he never used email. And he never writes anything down. Whether that's because he's got the mindset of a mob boss covering his tracks or that he's ****ing illiterate is beside the point. Everything is verbal with him so there's little paper trail.  That's why they need the cooperation of Trump Organization cronies to get to the Big (in more ways than one) Guy.

I’ve read speculation (I think from Mary Trump, but maybe his biographer too) that DJT would let his children take the fall to save himself.  But I’m wondering if the reverse is true.  If his three wonderkids, who do leave paper trails, would implicate daddy to save themselves.

Why a gag order against Trump would be a good idea

(CNN) CNN and other news organizations have reported, citing people familiar with the matter, that a Manhattan grand jury indicted the Trump Organization and its Chief Financial Officer, Allen Weisselberg, on Wednesday. It's now a safe bet to expect former President Donald Trump to go on his usual rampage -- an all-out verbal assault on prosecutors, judges and the court in his desperate attempt to discredit the case. Make no mistake about it, Shakespeare was right when he wrote, "What's past is prologue."

One must have been sleeping through the Trump presidency not to expect that a wounded Trump will do and say anything to prejudice the fair administration of justice. Now, the district attorney should ask the judge at the arraignment to impose a strict gag order restraining Trump, the Trump family, prosecutors, defense attorneys and all witnesses from making any public statements intended to prevent a fair trial, free of prejudice. A violation of a gag order is the crime of contempt of a court order with a potential one year in jail.

Holy ****, can you imagine how badly Trump would rage out if he were literally forbidden by law from ****ing and moaning?   :ols: 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

49 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’ve read speculation (I think from Mary Trump, but maybe his biographer too) that DJT would let his children take the fall to save himself.  But I’m wondering if the reverse is true.  If his three wonderkids, who do leave paper trails, would implicate daddy to save themselves.

Oh yeah?  Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that worked directly for him....to hear you people tell it, anybody could have worked for him.  You never knew.  That was his power.  The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.  And like that, poof.  He's gone.

• Haha 1