Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 minute ago, max21 said:

The difference is goaltending for sure, the equipment has evolved and I don’t think the butterfly style of goaltending was introduced until the mid 90s. G

It was then Montreal Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy who first introduced the butterfly style (early 90s)

2 hours ago, max21 said:

It was an awesome game, the Capitals dominated the 5v5 and the defensive play was great. Djoos looked solid and hopefully will ease the pain of Kempny being out. The new big bad “enforcer” Erik cernak who bolts fans claim could take Wilson was looking for Tom all night and they finally dropped em. It was a pretty good fight but granted Cernak is a rookie and was just raining haymakers but not really connecting. Wilson being the more seasoned fighter layed low and connected with a huge right and dropped him and immediatly went to the dressing room. Ovechkin also dropped Coburn I think while he scored 50 

That's probably the most impressive game I've seen the Caps play in a couple of months. TJ, Backstrom, OV and Wilson were all aggressive and physical as hell.

Yet when they need to show touch and finesse, they did that too -- witness the amazing pass by Wilson to set up Backstrom's first goal.

I'd say were entering into the playoffs with a head of steam and brimming with confidence.  

28 minutes ago, SkinsFanRob said:

Sometimes I wonder what his numbers would be if he played in the 80’s. I mean Gretzky and Bossy are legends but watching replays it just looks like they had so much more room to shoot. Pads were smaller. Goalies played with a different style. Ovi very well could have 1000 goals. 

He'd have 70 goals a season every year, and would probably have as many 80 goal seasons as he has 50 goal seasons now.  He'd likely top 100 goals in a season at least once too, with a few 90 goal seasons.

And honestly that's probably a conservative estimate.  The man would score hat tricks against lesser goalies probably 10+ times a year in the era of the standup goalie.

If you take a peek at this: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-goals-in-one-season-by-nhl-players.html

The last time anyone scored 70+ goals was 92-93.  After 92-93 season, only 5 players have gotten past 60 goals, and only 2 of them have done so in this millennium (Ovi and Stamkos).

They mentioned last night that the last time 3 players had 50+ goals in a season was 2009-2010.  50 goals is the new 70.

45 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Uh oh, Columbus is surging and they're now the first WC.  That could be a dangerous team to play in the 1st round.

All their new acquisitions haven't had time to gel. We're taking them out behind the woodshed. 

16 hours ago, max21 said:

I think he needs 5 more years of atleast 40 goals a season, I think it just depends on what he wants to do. He is an absolute legend and the greatest goal scorer of all time undoubtably. It’s been great to watch him all these years, it won’t be the same when he hangs it up.                

GOAT in terms of goal scoring ability, as of right now, probably most people are going to say Lemieux was better.   He'll should surpass him next year but you are still going to have alot of people who play the what-if game with Lemieux's cancer.    

Objectively I don't see how you don't put him the top 3.   Bobby Hull being other canididate.

Gretzky actually never topped 50 again after his age 29 season, Ovechkin has already done so twice.   If he continues playing, he should see some decline, but given his skillset I'd think he would be able to put up 40+ for the next couple of years  

If he some how surpasses Gretzky though, and/or wins another Richard trophy or two, there should be no doubt. 

10 hours ago, Mournblade said:

All their new acquisitions haven't had time to gel. We're taking them out behind the woodshed. 

Have you seen how they’re playing lately? That will be a war again in the first round. No thanks. Give me Carolina. Let TB deal with CBJ. 

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Have you seen how they’re playing lately? That will be a war again in the first round. No thanks. Give me Carolina. Let TB deal with CBJ. 

I have no problem with Carolina. I guess they could be considered..."Tiger bait" 

Seriously was at LSU Michigan State and the LSU fans yelling that and I couldn't stop laughing. Good slogan. 

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

They've feasted on teams like Vancouver, Montreal and Buffalo. They will wilt when they face us. 

11 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

GOAT in terms of goal scoring ability, as of right now, probably most people are going to say Lemieux was better.   He'll should surpass him next year but you are still going to have alot of people who play the what-if game with Lemieux's cancer.    

Objectively I don't see how you don't put him the top 3.   Bobby Hull being other canididate.

Gretzky actually never topped 50 again after his age 29 season, Ovechkin has already done so twice.   If he continues playing, he should see some decline, but given his skillset I'd think he would be able to put up 40+ for the next couple of years  

If he some how surpasses Gretzky though, and/or wins another Richard trophy or two, there should be no doubt. 

It’s a debate for sure, I’m biased since I’m a caps fan and only saw Lemieuxs last couple of years. I know he dealt with injuries and a brief retirement or he would have maybe caught Gretzky. You can make an argument for both but I feel like a majority of people now on HF boards or just hockey people in general will say Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. In the era of more disciplined goalies/defenses he consistently scores goals at a high level. 

With the monkey off their back. I think the Caps will play without a ton of pressure AND with a ton of confidence.

Also, with the year he's had. Ovechkin is going to get a contract extension again soon. Leonsis wants him playing another 5-6 years into his late 30's. He's only 33. It's nuts what could happen over the next handful of years.

Archived