• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

ixcuincle

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

4 hours ago, Mournblade said:

But you're not taking the competition into account. Carolina, NYI and Boston is about as easy as it gets (compare that with Columbus, Pittsburgh and Tampa

last year). 

How long have you been following hockey? Cause your posts are getting more nonsensical. There is no such thing as easy in the stanley cup playoffs. Obviously Carolina and Boston are both damn good hockey teams. (Can't believe I have to defend a Boston franchise) Teams don't accidentally make it this far. 

Wait, are you Michal Kempney?? That is the only way what you are saying makes any sense even though it would still be loud wrong.  

On 5/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Hersh said:

How long have you been following hockey? Cause your posts are getting more nonsensical. There is no such thing as easy in the stanley cup playoffs. Obviously Carolina and Boston are both damn good hockey teams. (Can't believe I have to defend a Boston franchise) Teams don't accidentally make it this far. 

Wait, are you Michal Kempney?? That is the only way what you are saying makes any sense even though it would still be loud wrong.  

Oh yes OBVIOUSLY Carolina is a "damn good hockey team:". You realize they barely made the playoffs this year? And you realize they hadn't made the playoffs since 

2009? If anyone is displaying hockey ignorance, its you my friend. 

Didn't Carolina have like the second or third most points in the league since January 1st? Could be like Pittsburgh in 2016 situation where they were just ridiculously hot in the second half of the year and rode it to a Cup. I don't expect Carolina to get past Boston though.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Oh yes OBVIOUSLY Carolina is a "damn good hockey team:". You realize they barely made the playoffs this year? And you realize they hadn't made the playoffs since 

2009? If anyone is displaying hockey ignorance, its you my friend. 

LOL, yeah okay. Carolina not having made the playoffs in 10 years doesn't mean anything other than some high draft picks. Aside from Carolina playing great the last 3 1/2 months of the season (third most point in the NHL), if they barely made the playoffs they also barely missed winning the division. The team that barely made the playoffs was only 5 points behind the first place Caps. To put it another way, Carolina had two less regular season wins than the Caps. 

Anyway, you can keep complaining. You can also keep being wrong about the quality of the teams in the playoffs and how tough it is to win a cup.  

Edited by Hersh

Posted (edited)

Wow man, Blues just got robbed in overtime.  That’s an amazing missed call.

All four of the stripes should never sniff an NHL game again.

Edited by Springfield

That was a bad missed call. Pretty obvious it was a hand pass. But in the 2nd period, Perron cleared the puck over the glass from his own zone. The officials got together and didn’t call what should have been an automatic penalty. Perron scores about a minute later, when he should have been in the box. The missed call in OT will get all the attention, but there may not have been OT had they not blown a call in the 2nd.  

That type of call is one the commishioner needs to be available to make. It was an obvious handpass. He was even given an assist....

7 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

That was a bad missed call. Pretty obvious it was a hand pass. But in the 2nd period, Perron cleared the puck over the glass from his own zone. The officials got together and didn’t call what should have been an automatic penalty. Perron scores about a minute later, when he should have been in the box. The missed call in OT will get all the attention, but there may not have been OT had they not blown a call in the 2nd.  

Except one blown call is a penalty and the other is a goal to win a game in overtime.  These are not on the same level of missed calls.

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Except one blown call is a penalty and the other is a goal to win a game in overtime.  These are not on the same level of missed calls.

I can’t argue with that. I’m just saying had the refs made the call in the 2nd, they probably wouldn’t have been in that spot to miss that call in OT. It was a poor job by the officials on missing what should have been easy and obvious calls.

16 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I can’t argue with that. I’m just saying had the refs made the call in the 2nd, they probably wouldn’t have been in that spot to miss that call in OT. It was a poor job by the officials on missing what should have been easy and obvious calls.

I agree with that.  Someone should be taken off duty for that.

Sharks keep winning on controversial calls. I'm getting tired of this. "Caps West" my ass. 

Bruins hopefully complete sweep tonight. 

The nhl is gonna have to make that reviewable. That was terrible 

• Like 1

A Caps/Bruins ECF could have been epic. Such a shame we couldn't beat the Canes.

• Like 2

I love that he did the mini windmill after a delay. Hilarious.

1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

Anyone see this glove save Ovechkin made?

In the next NHL All Star game, one of the skills competitions should be have some of the skaters dress as a goalie and have the goalies dress as skaters and then do a shootout.

Geez Boston could have 3 of the major sports teams have championships by June....redsox last season, Patriots last season (super bowl WAS in 2019 but it’s still last season) and now the bruins, if they can win the SCF. Wow. 

Kinda jealous...

I just got back from the game because if playoff hockey is in my neighborhood, I want to go. Carolina was just outplayed all night by Boston. Just complete domination from start to finish. My friend who is a big Hurricanes fan said he sort of wished it had been the Caps playing the Bruins because they wouldn’t let Boston push them around. Obviously I wish that were the case too, but from a hockey stand point he is right.

They also called about 8 hand passes during the game. Including one late that wiped away a Boston empty netter. Clearly the NHL told both the refs to be on the lookout for that call.   

I did run into Doc Emrick at the game. I literally almost ran into him before the game as I was heading to the concession stand and he was heading back to the booth to get ready to start the broadcast. He is so small.

But you know who is not small? Mike Millbury. And that guy was eating between every period. We were just one section over from the makeshift booth they had. I swear every time I looked up there he was eating something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

For the past 2 seasons, the team scheduled to play the defending Stanley Cup Champion at the start of the regular season on the night of the banner raising ceremony, has at least made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, such as Washington last year visiting Pittsburgh and Boston this year visiting Washington.  If Boston wins it all this year, then it might be tempting to place a wager in Las Vegas next trip on whoever their opponent is during the banner raising ceremony next season to win it all.

Edited by Redskins_SF
Correction