Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

 

 

This is a terrible contract. GMBM made a couple moves to help get the Caps a Cup, but some of the contracts he gives out are extremely questionable 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hersh said:

This is a terrible contract. GMBM made a couple moves to help get the Caps a Cup, but some of the contracts he gives out are extremely questionable 

Signing Hagelin for his age 30-34 seasons for $2.75M is NOT a bad contract. He is a fantastic PKer, drives possession, elevates the transition game, and can play on the 2nd line in a pinch and solidify the wing on the 3rd line. 

2 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Is the salary cap going up or something? Just not seeing how/why they can afford a 4th line penalty killer at 2.75 mil.. But, it's done now. Should of just kept Beagle, he was the best faceoff guy on the team. (and would of probably took 2.75x4) 

First of all, Beags got PAID by Vancouver so there was zero chance he takes a 35% discount to stay with the Caps. Second, Hags will be playing on the 3rd line most likely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Signing Hagelin for his age 30-34 seasons for $2.75M is NOT a bad contract. He is a fantastic PKer, drives possession, elevates the transition game, and can play on the 2nd line in a pinch and solidify the wing on the 3rd line. 

First of all, Beags got PAID by Vancouver so there was zero chance he takes a 35% discount to stay with the Caps. Second, Hags will be playing on the 3rd line most likely. 

 

You are way overvaluing Hagelin. He’s a good PKer but he’s a bottom 6 player that relies on speed and sucked in the playoffs 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

You are way overvaluing Hagelin. He’s a good PKer but he’s a bottom 6 player that relies on speed and sucked in the playoffs 

He did have a bad playoffs, but hopefully after a full training camp and regular season here, he steps up,because he's going to be a guy they will need production from to improve bottom 6 scoring 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, c slag said:

He did have a bad playoffs, but hopefully after a full training camp and regular season here, he steps up,because he's going to be a guy they will need production from to improve bottom 6 scoring 

 

Hes not going to bring production.  He’s not going to step up.  He’s a decent PKer who is positionally sound defensively but he never has and never will drive any offense. It’s not who he is.  He’s a 3rd liner at best and if he makes it into the second line then it’s bad news for scoring goals.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Caps still have Vrana and Bura as RFA and Connelly as an UFA. (plus a few other younger players) Caps need to retain as many of the quality young players as possible. They already have enough older players and they have some contracts that are really going to hurt in a couple seasons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Springfield said:

Hes not going to bring production.  He’s not going to step up.  He’s a decent PKer who is positionally sound defensively but he never has and never will drive any offense. It’s not who he is.  He’s a 3rd liner at best and if he makes it into the second line then it’s bad news for scoring goals.

In 22 games in LA, Hags had 1 G & 4 A. In 20 games with the Caps, he had 3 G & 8 A.  That extrapolates to 12 G & 32 A overt a full season, while being on the 1st PK pairing. That is a solid 3rd line winger.

 

Brett Connolly is going to get PAID in a few weeks. 22 G & 24 A for a 3rd liner is tremendous, and until last season was a pipe dream for him. 15 & 8 and 15 & 12 in his first 2 seasons in DC.  Hags is a 0.44 points/game player over his career. Connolly is a 0.36 points/game player.  Yes, Connolly is 3 years younger and has a higher upside on offense.  But he is going to be looking for $4M/year over a 4 or 5 year contract.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Vrana and Djoos are the primary RFAs that have to be resigned. Burakovsky should be tendered and should realize that getting a small raise from the Caps is a win. I don't think there will be a rash of teams wanting to sign him to an offer sheet...

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Vrana and Djoos are the primary RFAs that have to be resigned. Burakovsky should be tendered and should realize that getting a small raise from the Caps is a win. I don't think there will be a rash of teams wanting to sign him to an offer sheet...

 

Vrana, yes....but I want to see Djoos pushed (by way of camp competition) for that 6D spot.  I think Siegenthaler is the better player and would be the guy I'd want paired w/ Gudas.  Djoos could be the healthy-scratch guy this season...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Caps need to start generating and promoting the next wave of young talent. Not sure how much exists offensively, but that is how they’ve stayed competitive for so long. 

 

There are some interesting guys in the pipeline on defense, but no one is really moving the needle in the minors/juniors that I personally forsee being someone who could slide into the top-6 at some point.  Most of the forwards that the caps have in the pipeline are depth guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hersh said:

The Caps need to start generating and promoting the next wave of young talent. Not sure how much exists offensively, but that is how they’ve stayed competitive for so long. 

 

21 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

 

There are some interesting guys in the pipeline on defense, but no one is really moving the needle in the minors/juniors that I personally forsee being someone who could slide into the top-6 at some point.  Most of the forwards that the caps have in the pipeline are depth guys. 

 

Yes and yes! Which is why I'd of rather seen them spend money elsewhere and promote depth from within.. They've got to have some young(ish) forwards who can play 200' and PK, for much less than nearly 3mil a year? What they have against Jaskin, I don't know..  (And salary cap going DOWN apparently, this upcoming season)

 

Vrana is the next important signing, imo.. Then they better start looking for an Oshie replacement.. His health can/has become an issue. I hope GMBM can keep up, but I fear a LA Kings like season(s) are on the horizon.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

 

 

Yes and yes! Which is why I'd of rather seen them spend money elsewhere and promote depth from within.. They've got to have some young(ish) forwards who can play 200' and PK, for much less than nearly 3mil a year? What they have against Jaskin, I don't know..  (And salary cap going DOWN apparently, this upcoming season)

 

Vrana is the next important signing, imo.. Then they better start looking for an Oshie replacement.. His health can/has become an issue. I hope GMBM can keep up, but I fear a LA Kings like season(s) are on the horizon.. 

 

Oshie is on an 8 year deal lol. We'd have to trade him but that's not happening anytime soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

 

Oshie is on an 8 year deal lol. We'd have to trade him but that's not happening anytime soon.

 

Expose him to the expansion draft and hope Seattle wants him as their first captain. 

 

Honestly, with all the head injuries he's had, I don't see how he's going to see the ice for the remainder of the contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, Love Oshie, but I can't see 7 years left in him.. Head injuries are so scary, his dad suffering from brain related illness.. Plus he got a cup, gold and plenty of $$.. Even if he resists I imagine his family will push for an early retirement. 1 more concussion and the talk will get real.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...