Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crowder vs. Richardson

Vanguard

Djax is/was the best Ive ever seen tracking a ball downfield. He had many limitations but man he was good at that, like eyes in the back of his helmet good.

I swear he would see the ball thrown, feign adjusting one direction to throw off the CB and then cut back right to where the ball lands with a perfect over the shoulder catch. 

Richardson was talking about Smith to Bmitch and Doc, saying how nice it is to have a QB that functions so well in the pocket in addition to scrambling to extend plays. (he didn't say it but he meant after having played with Wilson who is great in his way but cannot really run an NFL offense on schedule because of his size) 

Aside from the injuries I don't think we really know what Richardson can do in an organized passing game. Seattle passing game basically consisted of Russell running for his life and coverage breaking down. Rarely did he throw from a clean pocket and I don't think the OL provided enough time for routes to develop. Maybe it's through rosey eyed glasses but if he has the speed to take off the top he should thrive well in this offense. 

22 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Djax is/was the best Ive ever seen tracking a ball downfield. He had many limitations but man he was good at that, like eyes in the back of his helmet good.

I feel like, at least as a Redskin.  Santana Moss in his prime, was just as good, and possibly better than DJax at tracking a ball downfield.

8 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I feel like, at least as a Redskin.  Santana Moss in his prime, was just as good, and possibly better than DJax at tracking a ball downfield.

Moss was a better and more consistent route runner (especially on known running plays) I wouldn't argue with you too much. 

10 hours ago, Hogs 1991 said:

I know this thread is about Crowder and Richardson, but is it wrong that I miss Garçon and DJax and felt we had a good thing with them ?

You gotta let it go man.  They were fun to watch, but they weren't the greatest tandem of receivers in Redskins history.  Good though.....

10 hours ago, Hogs 1991 said:

I know this thread is about Crowder and Richardson, but is it wrong that I miss Garçon and DJax and felt we had a good thing with them ?

We did have a good thing going with them while they were here and in their prime years, but I'm glad the Redskins have learned not to overpay for players as they start their decline.

9 hours ago, Vanguard said:

You gotta let it go man.  They were fun to watch, but they weren't the greatest tandem of receivers in Redskins history.  Good though.....

And not worth what they wanted at that age.  The mistake wasn't letting them go, it was not replacing that production.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:04 PM, Vanguard said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that they were they best receiving we since that greatest receiving we had in 1991, but you’re right Vanguard . I gotta move on, and as hard as it may seem, I will .

• 1 month later...

I was watching Countdown to Training Camp, and Brian Mitchell was very adamant about people mistaking Richardson for a Desean Jackson.  He said, if people think we're getting a Desean Jackson, you're fooling yourself.  Charley Casserly echoed this sentiment.  I think the offense will be fine and I expect Richardson to put up 700 maybe 800 yards in this offense if he can stay healthy.  I don't expect him to be Desean.

And it could just be me.  But I feel like Casserly is a little too critical of this club on offense and defense.  This roster, on paper, is better than it has been in years.

39 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I was watching Countdown to Training Camp, and Brian Mitchell was very adamant about people mistaking Richardson for a Desean Jackson.  He said, if people think we're getting a Desean Jackson, you're fooling yourself.  Charley Casserly echoed this sentiment.  I think the offense will be fine and I expect Richardson to put up 700 maybe 800 yards in this offense if he can stay healthy.  I don't expect him to be Desean.

And it could just be me.  But I feel like Casserly is a little too critical of this club on offense and defense.  This roster, on paper, is better than it has been in years.

He only needs to resemble some of what DeSean could do. He probably won't be targeted enough to put up crazy stats, but if he's catching his share and creating space in the 1st and 2nd levels of the defense, then mission accomplished. 

Remember Crowder is a 5'9" slot WR. Its not an apple to apples comparison to Richardson. 

I expect Crowder to have a much bigger season then Richardson in our offense. Crowder's about see multiple WR screens a game. He should be the biggest beneficiary in our receiving core from bringing in Alex Smith. 

Richardson will be replacing Ryan Grant in our offense. (Pryor-->Grant --> Richardson) Richardson is a far superior athlete to Grant. 

Docston/Thompson/Reed/Crowder/Richardson

That looks pretty nice on 3rd downs right there. 

What I think potentially makes us dangerous is that the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts. No one will confuse any of our guys as OBJ or Antonio or Julio, but collectively I think they all compliment each other extremely well. IF Reed stays healthy, and IF Richardson continues to progress and be the receiver we saw last year, and IF Doctson lives up to his first round billing then we have a chance to feature a pretty special group of pass catchers. A lot of Ifs though, and a lot contingent on staying healthy since Reed, Richardson, and Thompson are all prone to injury relatively frequently. So not holding my breath. Basically a long winded way of saying, the talent is there to be pretty dangerous. But a lot still needs to come together. 

Side note, I kind of expect the passing offense to take it’s fair share of lumps early on. New QB, new WR, some guys returning from injury. I am hopeful that our defense and Guice can shoulder the load while the rest catches up.

31 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

What I think potentially makes us dangerous is that the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts. No one will confuse any of our guys as OBJ or Antonio or Julio, but collectively I think they all compliment each other extremely well. IF Reed stays healthy, and IF Richardson continues to progress and be the receiver we saw last year, and IF Doctson lives up to his first round billing then we have a chance to feature a pretty special group of pass catchers. A lot of Ifs though, and a lot contingent on staying healthy since Reed, Richardson, and Thompson are all prone to injury relatively frequently. So not holding my breath. Basically a long winded way of saying, the talent is there to be pretty dangerous. But a lot still needs to come together. 

Side note, I kind of expect the passing offense to take it’s fair share of lumps early on. New QB, new WR, some guys returning from injury. I am hopeful that our defense and Guice can shoulder the load while the rest catches up.

I agree man, the talent is there.  But I will taper my excitement because I also agree that there will be some growing pains.  Most of these guys haven't played with each other before.

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I miss James Arthur Monk most of all. :(

Great receiver.

13 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I miss James Arthur Monk most of all. :(

I miss Jack Kent cooke!

But i digress. Hopefully both will be awesome this season. We need to give Alex as many weapons as possible.

My real concern is whether Jordan Reed and his prone to injuries.

13 hours ago, Mooka said:

Remember Crowder is a 5'9" slot WR. Its not an apple to apples comparison to Richardson. 

I expect Crowder to have a much bigger season then Richardson in our offense. Crowder's about see multiple WR screens a game. He should be the biggest beneficiary in our receiving core from bringing in Alex Smith. 

Richardson will be replacing Ryan Grant in our offense. (Pryor-->Grant --> Richardson) Richardson is a far superior athlete to Grant. 

Docston/Thompson/Reed/Crowder/Richardson

That looks pretty nice on 3rd downs right there. 

I'm in the same camp you are.  I don't think Richardson and Crowder will be competing for playing time.  They may share the same 'role' at times, but I doubt they're going to be going head to head in camp.  I imagine Richardson will be outside the numbers the vast majority of the time he's on the field, only playing in the slot to change things up or try to take advantage of a defensive alignment.  

I'm still a little worried about Crowder because of how bad his bad was last year.  He had good, but when he was off... he was WWAAAYYY off.  He was the biggest factor in the loss to the Cowboys between fumbles and balls going through his hands and getting picked off.  I can understand why he was on PR because he was our 'best' option, but he put the ball on the ground and may poor decisions on ST quite a bit.  I really hope he can go back to what he was before that part of his game reared its ugly head.  The only problem with that is that he's going to get PPAAAIIIDDDD, and with Smith and Scherff on the horizon... I'd imagine Crowder may be the odd man out if Quinn can prove to be at least capable inside the hashmarks.  

If people are expecting Richardson to be D-Jax, they will be disappointed.  There is only one D-Jax (of his era).  Just like there was only was only one Steve Smith of his era (Santana Moss was a close 2nd).   

Can Paul Richardson get open deep? Yes, but go back and watch 2017 film, Doctson was getting open deep too. Pryor got open downfield. Crowder sometimes too.  WRs of all sizes & speeds can get open deep through various methods.  Some are just flat out burners, some have great double moves, some run great routes, and others get open because of the play design leaving their side of the field one-on-one.

D-Jax was not only just fast, but quick.  His acceleration is what separated him from being just another burner.  He had that 1-2 step and gone acceleration.  A DB could be running stride for stride with him up until the ball was in the air and then D-Jax just turned on the after burner.  That is an entire different level of quick then a guy who just runs fast down the sideline.  Also, his ball tracking skills, he could adjust his route on the fly to slow down, speed up, turn his shoulders in our out...it was almost like watching an MLB Outfielder run down a baseball hit over his head.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:53 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't think so. Gruden has stated this is a win now squad. I expect Smith to lead. Between the money and veteran experience no excuses. That and I think our offense is a bit more about scheme than skill. Guice and Richardson are the only new starting pieces expected to make major contributions on offense. We basically have weeks one and two for the O to find it's stride. Then it's Brees and Rodgers. I think Arizona's D could provide a nice stiff test out the gate. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, Gellnasty said:

I think Crowder needs to watch out for Trey Quinn... That seems like he is gunning for that 3rd inside slot spot. Unless we go 4 wide?

"Homeristic view", the application, to be sure....

.. but I can easily see it.  :) 

Archived