Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you Believe??? (Religion)

Renegade7

What is your religious affiliation???  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What does your belief system fall under???

• Monotheistic
    • Non-Monotheistic
    • Agnostic
    • Athiest
    • I don't know right now
    • I don't care right now

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, China said:

43% of millennials 'don’t know, don’t care, don’t believe' God exists: study

Just 26% of Gen X and 16% of millennials believe that when they die, they will go to Heaven only because they confessed their sins and accepted Jesus as their savior, compared to nearly half of the generation before them, a new study has found.

The American Worldview Inventory 2021, a survey of the philosophy of life on American adults from Arizona Christian University, assessed the worldviews of four generations: millennials (born 1984-2002), Gen X (1965-1983), baby boomers (1946-1964) and builders (1927-1945).

Researchers found that among other recent generations, millennials have gone farther in cutting ties with traditional Christian views and normative biblical teaching.

For example, nearly half of all boomers believe that when they die, they will go to Heaven only because they confessed their sins and accepted Jesus as their Savior, compared to only 26% of Gen X and 16% of millennials.

Additionally, 43% of millennials stated they either don’t know, don’t care or don’t believe God exists compared to 28% of boomers, and 44% of millennials believe Satan is a real and influential, compared to 64% of boomers. 

Click on the link for the full article

I was just thinking about this. I am not every religious. I think in about a 1000 years or even less no one will believe in any kind of religion since it is all man made anyway and the kids these day are not into the whole church thing but go because of their parents. Now these kids will grow up and won't go to church or whatever temple and neither will their kids and so on. Religion will die one day and the world will still continue. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, China said:

43% of millennials 'don’t know, don’t care, don’t believe' God exists: study

Just 26% of Gen X and 16% of millennials believe that when they die, they will go to Heaven only because they confessed their sins and accepted Jesus as their savior, compared to nearly half of the generation before them, a new study has found.

The American Worldview Inventory 2021, a survey of the philosophy of life on American adults from Arizona Christian University, assessed the worldviews of four generations: millennials (born 1984-2002), Gen X (1965-1983), baby boomers (1946-1964) and builders (1927-1945).

Researchers found that among other recent generations, millennials have gone farther in cutting ties with traditional Christian views and normative biblical teaching.

For example, nearly half of all boomers believe that when they die, they will go to Heaven only because they confessed their sins and accepted Jesus as their Savior, compared to only 26% of Gen X and 16% of millennials.

Additionally, 43% of millennials stated they either don’t know, don’t care or don’t believe God exists compared to 28% of boomers, and 44% of millennials believe Satan is a real and influential, compared to 64% of boomers. 

Click on the link for the full article

It's easy to believe that these generations don't know/care/believe when they have their faces in their phones for 90% of the day.  It's probably not just limited to God, either.  

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why do, in general, religious people seem so scared to die (speaking mainly of Christians)?  If what they believe is true, and they haven’t been generally a piece of **** their whole life, shouldn’t they welcome death?  They will go to some version of heaven and enjoy all the glory that goes with it.  The atheist and asshole part of me says that this is because they deep down know that what they claim to believe in has at least a decent chance of being total crap but I realize there may actually be a better explanation.  

I wouldn't say a lot of people in my church are scared of death, but that there is a clear line between life and death that separates us.  A lot of people aren't ready for death, too young, dont have affairs in order, concerned about impact on family, but that doesn't mean they don't believe in heaven.

My question on top of this is about suicide.  Theres a handful of folks that killed themselves in the Bible, but doesn't say clearly what happens to them from my understanding.  I think about this because my bipolar depression causes suicidal thoughts, but I haven't seen a verse that clearly says self-murder is unforgivable.  Is that really the case and does it apply to assisted suicide?

Looking online a lot of opinions say it is forgivable and links to suicide hotlines.  Id like to discuss it here though.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

I was just thinking about this. I am not every religious. I think in about a 1000 years or even less no one will believe in any kind of religion since it is all man made anyway and the kids these day are not into the whole church thing but go because of their parents. Now these kids will grow up and won't go to church or whatever temple and neither will their kids and so on. Religion will die one day and the world will still continue. 

religion will be around as long as humans 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

But the popularity is going down... so it is just matter of time. Ever wonder why God hasn't sent another prophet to tell the people what to do now that we have advanced so much? Back over 2000 years ago people were gullible and didn't have tech so relied on faith instead of evidence. 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Agreed.

Organized religion will lose its influence overtime, we're seeing that in real-time.  But the parts of human nature that are drawn to religion aren't going to change anytime soon, like our nature to be dot connecting machines.

It'd be a pretty boring world if it was common place to say if there wasn't scientific evidence for something then it wasn't real, full stop.  Theres so much about life that happens that cant be explained that the conversation shouldn't end because science can't finish it.

7 minutes ago, zskins said:

But the popularity is going down... so it is just matter of time. Ever wonder why God hasn't sent another prophet to tell the people what to do now that we have advanced so much? Back over 2000 years ago people were gullible and didn't have tech so relied on faith instead of evidence. 

Yeah, people definitely aren't nearly as gullible today. 

That was sarcasm

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Thread is about explaining what we believe, not attacking what other people believe.  The Bible is pretty thick, what else needs to be said in the context of what it is?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Thread is about explaining what we believe, not attacking what other people believe.  The Bible is pretty thick, what else needs to be said in the context of what it is?

Not attacking anyone. China posted an article about the demise of religious belief and I was putting my two cents about it. 

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I wouldn't say a lot of people in my church are scared of death, but that there is a clear line between life and death that separates us.  A lot of people aren't ready for death, too young, dont have affairs in order, concerned about impact on family, but that doesn't mean they don't believe in heaven.

My question on top of this is about suicide.  Theres a handful of folks that killed themselves in the Bible, but doesn't say clearly what happens to them from my understanding.  I think about this because my bipolar depression causes suicidal thoughts, but I haven't seen a verse that clearly says self-murder is unforgivable.  Is that really the case and does it apply to assisted suicide?

Looking online a lot of opinions say it is forgivable and links to suicide hotlines.  Id like to discuss it here though.

So bearing in mind that my upbringing mostly revolves around Catholicism, my understanding was that suicide is a form of murder.  And because to accomplish that sin, you’d have to be dead which then means you can’t repent.  I got no problem discussing further though.

18 minutes ago, zskins said:

He sent a few.  They were all sent to mental institutions.  And one went to set up some place called Jonestown or something.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So bearing in mind that my upbringing mostly revolves around Catholicism, my understanding was that suicide is a form of murder.  And because to accomplish that sin, you’d have to be dead which then means you can’t repent.  I got no problem discussing further though.

Gotcha, but is self-murder specificly noted in a verse as unforgivable?  I wouldn't know what some people are saying to God while they are in that process.  Nor do I believe someone like Samson should be in hell.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

He sent a few.  They were all sent to mental institutions.  And one went to set up some place called Jonestown or something.

Bible warns of false prophets a couple times.  The prophets in the Bible that it says actually talked to God carried themselves very differently from a lot of modern prophets from what I can tell.

Catholic Church stepped back from the whole suicide as mortal sin position in recent history.  Now they acknowledge that there are things that can diminish one's responsibility in suicide (how gracious of them) and says that God can provide an avenue for salvation of those who die by suicide.  Church also allows prayer for those who died by suicide.  The old Catholic stance on suicide was always stupid to begin with.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zskins said:

But the popularity is going down... so it is just matter of time. Ever wonder why God hasn't sent another prophet to tell the people what to do now that we have advanced so much?

Uhhh, ahem. Where have you been, under a rock or something? How have you not heard of L. Ron Hubbard?

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed.

Organized religion will lose its influence overtime, we're seeing that in real-time.  But the parts of human nature that are drawn to religion aren't going to change anytime soon, like our nature to be dot connecting machines.

It'd be a pretty boring world if it was common place to say if there wasn't scientific evidence for something then it wasn't real, full stop.  Theres so much about life that happens that cant be explained that the conversation shouldn't end because science can't finish it.

Exactly. The way our brains work, i.e. finding patterns to explain/learn things all but ensures there will be at least some part of humanity that finds a god to be the best explanation for existence. I used to feel glad about the bottoming out of religion. Now, I've started to think that a transference has happened for many on the Xtian right. They seem to be exchanging religion for politics and nationalism. That leads nowhere good.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank God people are finally not buying that horse flop. Religion is the most malicious tool for oppression and unacountabiliry that man ever made. 

You're entitled to your opinion, jus that goes against the spirit of this thread and is out of place. Please read OP.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, jus that goes against the spirit of this thread and is out of place. Please read OP.

I did and it doesn't. Please respect my opinion that religion is a morally bankrupt cop out and the less people who believe in it the better the world will be. Believe whatever you want. I believe in education and progress. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Gotcha, but is self-murder specificly noted in a verse as unforgivable?  I wouldn't know what some people are saying to God while they are in that process.  Nor do I believe someone like Samson should be in hell.

I don’t believe it is specifically mentioned in that manner but could be wrong.  As for how it “should be”, I can’t really say since I don’t believe in it anyways.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Bible warns of false prophets a couple times.  The prophets in the Bible that it says actually talked to God carried themselves very differently from a lot of modern prophets from what I can tell.

I was making a joke.

11 hours ago, bearrock said:

Catholic Church stepped back from the whole suicide as mortal sin position in recent history.  Now they acknowledge that there are things that can diminish one's responsibility in suicide (how gracious of them) and says that God can provide an avenue for salvation of those who die by suicide.  Church also allows prayer for those who died by suicide.  The old Catholic stance on suicide was always stupid to begin with.  

Thanks for sharing.  I didn’t know that.

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I did and it doesn't. Please respect my opinion that religion is a morally bankrupt cop out and the less people who believe in it the better the world will be. Believe whatever you want. I believe in education and progress. 

I believe it is important that religion teaches a lot of good also though it is subject to manipulation like anything else.  I’ve always likened it to the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  Do I think that story is a recounting of an event that actually took place in that manner?  No.  Does it teach valuable, morale lessons and can serve a as a teaching tool?  Absolutely.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Does it teach valuable, morale lessons and can serve a as a teaching tool?  Absolutely.  

Anything can be a teaching tool. It doesn't remotely excuse the amount of cruelty that it's responsible for. If there is any lesson to learn from religion, it's to recognize it as a form of manipulation and control that can destroy millions of people on a generational level and that can't be healed.

• Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anything can be a teaching tool. It doesn't remotely excuse the amount of cruelty that it's responsible for. If there is any lesson to learn from religion, it's to recognize it as a form of manipulation and control that can destroy millions of people on a generational level and that can't be healed.

religion is just a tool people hungry for power use. If it wasn’t religion it would be another tool, like politics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

religion is just a tool people hungry for power use. If it wasn’t religion it would be another tool, like politics. 

I don't want to ignore this, but I'm hammered and watched the game, so super upset, but religion as a tool is a 400 series excavator compared to a shovel.

The bible is a book that commands women and POC to be subservient to white men or go to eternal damnation. It went from an explanation of natural wonder people didn't understand to a way to enslave and colonize most of the world. It's a mentality of oppression and superiority and excuses and the world will be so much better off when it's gone and people just look as the planet as equals.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The bible is a book that commands women and POC to be subservient to white men or go to eternal damnation. 

You have some Bible verses to back this up?

I had to really think about how to respond to you while respectful acknowledging the amount of pain that organized religion has caused, that it needs to be geniuenly addressed.

But if we're gonna have a constructive conversation about this, which is what we are trying to do, come with more facts then emotions.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

i tried to ignore this deal of yours to 'moderate/curate' the thread hoping you would die down, but no

you can have all the opinions you want on how others post but you have no authority to instruct (or moderate) their content

you can yell off-topic (right or wrong) but they're not obliged to heed your directions in any matter

you are not on staff, heaven forfend (one of my fave religious phrases )

tk suggested closing the thread just based on the op...and after posting that kind of hugely-wide-ranging op on a matter like "religious beliefs" you then want to  restrict others to adhering to your sense of 'appropriate/fitting' or 'useful/helpful' etc.

that's a no, and you can cease telling folks whether or not their post adheres to the "spirit" of the thread, or to your standards for what's worthy information, other than deploying the usual peer feedback which you are quite experienced in giving :) 

for now it will remain open for people who want to participate and it can live or die just like any other thread and moderators will decide if a post is a problem

back to topic

and put some pants on, beal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2