Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

13 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Basketball has three in the key (but also applies to the offense).   I didn't know this but apparently zone defense was illegaly up until 1983.  Then the defensive three second violation introduced in 2001 which made it harder to play zone. 

Oh I guess that's a good point. I forgot about the NBA when thinking about basketball (I know that sounds weird - but in my head I was thinking about the basketball that I played and we could triple-team a stud and leave people wide open if we wanted). 

Os front office may have actually done something somewhat competent.

Yusniel Diaz seems like a good prospect. No. 4 in Dodgers in system, MLB has him as 84th best prospect overall. (Os Mountcastle at 79 is only top 100). He gets walks, plus arm, avg range. I think I read he is not as fast as he seems, been thrown out more times than he successfully stole but is an athlete. Jumped from 11 to 4th in Dodgers system.

Diaz, Hays and Mullins give us 3 good OF prospects.

LOL wish we could move Mancini to 1st and we never signed Davis or Trumbo.

10 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Yusniel Diaz seems like a good prospect. No. 4 in Dodgers in system, MLB has him as 84th best prospect overall. (Os Mountcastle at 79 is only top 100). He gets walks, plus arm, avg range. I think I read he is not as fast as he seems, been thrown out more times than he successfully stole but is an athlete. Jumped from 11 to 4th in Dodgers system.

I like that they seem to be pivoting and taking the best deal regardless of position. To me, you don't necessarily have to project each of these players onto your major league roster in 2-3 years...I'd view them as currency. The better your assets, the better you can eventually piece together a team. I'd rather get another outfielder who is an 8/10 than fill a more glaring need with a 7/10. 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Don’t forget Stewart and McKenna as close OF prospects. It’s imperative the O’s trade Trumbo this off-season or release CD. Mancini has to be moved from the OF asap 

The funny thing about Trumbo is, his best position from a hitting perspective is actually when he's in RF, where he's an awful fielder.  Since he's been an Oriole, he's got an .877 OPS when he plays RF.  The numbers were rather surprising to me.  

As a DH:

2016: .243/.296/.496   .791 OPS

2017: .207/.268/.367   .635 OPS

2018: .223/.291/.386   .677 OPS

As a RF:

2016: .267/.332/.556  .888 OPS

2017: .331/.368/.508  .876 OPS

2018: .316/.361/.509  .869 OPS

Now, I'm not making the argument to see more Trumbo in the field, I just thought those numbers were eye opening.

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Don’t forget Stewart and McKenna as close OF prospects. It’s imperative the O’s trade Trumbo this off-season or release CD. Mancini has to be moved from the OF asap 

and mountcastle at 3rd in 2020.

I honestly dont follow the Os farm system at all outside of reading a few articles in spring training and if they get called up. I know DJ Stewart bc of FSU and he was a 1st R, but I dont know who McKenna is. I say this bc I dont want anyone to think I have knowledge or know what im talking about. Anything I say is probably poorly regurgitated from an article i read. 

With that said ... I dont think any of our position prospects will be an impact player. Maybe Hays or Mountcastle can be a plus player but I think most of our highest ranked position players are AAAA types.

Happy we are trading Manny and seeming to get a fair return .. but im pessimistic on the Os next 3 years.

It's just way too early to try to form a starting 9 with our system. Yes, you need balance, but I think you take premium prospects knowing that 1) not all guys will pan out and 2) if you happen to luck into a surplus somewhere you can swap with other teams. 

Actually having a farm system would be something we haven't done a lot of in quite some time. 

3 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

and mountcastle at 3rd in 2020.

I honestly dont follow the Os farm system at all outside of reading a few articles in spring training and if they get called up. I know DJ Stewart bc of FSU and he was a 1st R, but I dont know who McKenna is. I say this bc I dont want anyone to think I have knowledge or know what im talking about. Anything I say is probably poorly regurgitated from an article i read. 

With that said ... I dont think any of our position prospects will be an impact player. Maybe Hays or Mountcastle can be a plus player but I think most of our highest ranked position players are AAAA types.

Happy we are trading Manny and seeming to get a fair return .. but im pessimistic on the Os next 3 years.

I think Mullins will be a solid player. Not a superstar, but a guy that will fill up the stat sheet with doubles, triples, an occasional home run and some stolen bases and will play solid defense. 

McKenna is a young guy, drafted out of HS in 2015, who has turned the corner offensively. Only 21 he destroyed high A ball this season and is doing alright in AA. Showing a good eye to go along with hitting the ball. Solid all-around. Apparently Keith Law views him as an MLB player. 

I think the O's OF will be entirely homegrown next season, which will be awesome. I forgot about Santander as well. Not sure what I think of him. 

40 minutes ago, Hersh said:

O’s doctors have been pretty good. Got a lot more right than wrong.

I agree with this and from the standpoint of not getting damaged goods, I think it’s a good thing. But a point I heard on the radio is that some players are afraid to get checked out by the O’s Drs because they have higher standards than most. And if they flag you, your career could be over. Apparently a free agent pitcher said that to Steve Philips this past offseason. At least that’s what he said on the radio. So the perception of this is not a popular one among players and it does paint the O’s as being overly cautious to the point where it’s not worth it for some players and perhaps some teams willing to make trades.

Of course if the Dodgers know a guy has issues and try to unload them, then screw them.

35 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I agree with this and from the standpoint of not getting damaged goods, I think it’s a good thing. But a point I heard on the radio is that some players are afraid to get checked out by the O’s Drs because they have higher standards than most. And if they flag you, your career could be over. Apparently a free agent pitcher said that to Steve Philips this past offseason. At least that’s what he said on the radio. So the perception of this is not a popular one among players and it does paint the O’s as being overly cautious to the point where it’s not worth it for some players and perhaps some teams willing to make trades.

Of course if the Dodgers know a guy has issues and try to unload them, then screw them.

If the O’s doctors are scaring away injured players, good by me. 

I'm pretty happy with the haul. The two interesting guys not named Diaz are both in the first full pro seasons, advanced A ball, and putting up excellent numbers. Bannon, 8th round pick last season, is batting .296/402 with 20 home runs, 59 walks and 103 Ks in 89 games. Supposedly good defensively at 3rd. 

Zac Pop, 7th round last season, has a 0.33 ERA in 27 innings with 23 Ks and 6 BB and a 0.70 WHIP. 

It'll be interesting to see where all these guys go. They should send Diaz to Norfolk immediately while promoting Mullins to Baltimore. Definitely going to have an all-rookie outfield next season.  

Apparently all the young guys in this deal were sent to Bowie. So promotions for Pop and Bannon

Some further interesting developments tonight. Apparently DD is on the radio talking about how the O's actually have a plan moving forward and trading Manny was step one. The team is now committing to spend on international FAs, they are going to be adding to scouting departments, and adding to the front office including with more analytics. 

I'll believe it when I see it, but this team has lacked a plan for years. 

Duquette said: "We had identified the areas that we needed to improve in — technology, international scouting, facilities, the draft, strengthening our analytics, investing in international scouting, investing in more front office staff to be more in line with our competitors, expanding our nutrition and wellness resources at every level of the organization. Those are areas that we identified that we could improve in, and the ownership understands those are areas that we need to put more resources into."

"It's a plan that we've been working on for a while, but we have the support of ownership and the people that have made the recommendations to advance in these areas," Duquette said on a conference call. "They're on board, so it's a multidimensional plan."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-duquette-rebuild-20180718-story.html

------------------------------------------

I guess and hope John (and Louis) Angelos are actually going to make changes. How could they not after essentially watching the game pass their dad and the Os over the last 10-20 years. They dont appear to be dumb or lack common sense.

Odd timing though. DD is gone after this year and Buck's involvement is unknown.

Im happy w the Manny trade. Good enough return. Better than keeping him and letting him walk for a comp pick.

I’m kinda excited for the Os future. We have a real chance to rebuild here and the core we had from 2012-2018 was done. If we can swing a high potential SP or 2B/SS prospect for Britton, I’d be very pleased. Plus, a top pick in next years draft and we’ve done a pretty quick turnaround for the farm system.

Gotta find a way to get rid of Davis to just move on. Gonna eat a lot of money but so be it.

I'm encouraged as well. If they truly commit to selling off anyone with value over the next two weeks, it'll be another great step in the right direction. Some guys you need to hold out and get good value for (Givens, Schoop, our starting pitchers) but other guys need to be gone by 8/1 (Britton, Brach, maybe Valencia, and Trumbo) at any return. 

If they are transparent about this and don't sign dumb veteran FA, I'm fine watching a young and developing 100-loss team next year. I'd probably actually watch too. I remember the late-2000s when I tuned in nightly just to see Markakis and Jones. We sucked but I was very excited for those two guys. 

Granted, it doesn't always work that way...I remember feeling excited when we sold off our 1998-1999 team and thought it would be fun to watch "the kids" develop in the early-2000s. But Hairston, Richard, etc. didn't amount to much. 

This trade REALLY hurts.  Like a punch to the gut.  I knew this day was coming, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks.  DD said all the right things yesterday, but the damage had been done due to their ineptness.  I'll be purchasing a Dodger blue Machado jersey within the next couple of days.  Of course I'm still loyal to the O's, but Manny is a guy who should have spent his entire career in Baltimore.  With the current FO regime, it's unforgivable to me.  On top of it all, to me, outside of Diaz, I don't like the return. 

Archived