Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

That is exactly what I was expecting. Had there not been an All Star game, he would probably have been traded this past weekend. I guess the Orioles want to see their lone All Star in the game. And if he was traded to the NL, he wouldn’t have played tomorrow night. That’s the only thing I can think of as to why wait. 

3 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

That is exactly what I was expecting. Had there not been an All Star game, he would probably have been traded this past weekend. I guess the Orioles want to see their lone All Star in the game. And if he was traded to the NL, he wouldn’t have played tomorrow night. That’s the only thing I can think of as to why wait. 

I think you're right...once we got to the point on the calendar where he wouldn't suit up for his new team (Saturday, probably) what's the point in making the trade? It worked out...he gets to homer in his final home game as an Oriole and the crowd got to say goodbye as most have a good idea what's coming. Also, he's not, like you said, wedged onto the NL All-Star roster which would be either unfair to him (having earned his position) or unfair to someone else (who also earned a position on the NL side). 

I'm excited to see the return and I hope he's one of 4-5 dominoes that fall on our team. At a minimum I would love August to start without Jones, Britton, Givens, Brach (if possible), Trumbo (if possible), and Valencia (if possible). 

I thought I was ready, but I'm not emotionally prepared to see Machado gone. What a totally incompetent ownership/front office group. There was always plenty of money to extend Manny and build around him but there has never been a long term plan here. We are paying the price for it now. I think it's going to suck in the winter as well when the O's will have plenty of money to sign Manny but he won't really want to come back. I wouldn't blame him for feeling that way either. 

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@Hersh I feel ya.  Signing Davis but not getting Manny done was so ****ing stupid.  

That said, I think Manny was always going to be an FA, hell or high water.  I keep telling myself that.

I agree and I don't blame him. There were enormous contracts being thrown out there and he has always known/thought the O's would never go to those levels. I will never understand the CD contract. Angelos got played like the fool he has been when he involves himself in running a baseball team. They had no reason to offer CD more than 5 years $100 million cause I don't think anyone else was even in that range. That would've been understandable even though we know how it's turned out. Having said that, the O's could still offer Manny $27-30 million per over 8-10 years no problem even with that CD contract. We know they won't though. 

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Having said that, the O's could still offer Manny $27-30 million per over 8-10 years no problem even with that CD contract. We know they won't though. 

As much as I love the guy, they shouldn't offer him that. That would restrict them terribly, especially over the next 2-4 years while they are also paying Davis. If the O's paid him that, we'd basically have another 1990s installment of the team where people would show up to watch the SS and see us finish 25 games out. 

2019 Roster is going to be depressing. Payroll could be less than 100M. 

Davis (17M), trumbo (11), Cobb (14), ODay (9), Cashner (8)  = 59 M on the books

Bundy (6), Gausman (7), Beckham (4), Schoop (8.5), Givens (3) are arb eligible = 28.5M .... im approx the arb numbers using last years numbers

Mancini, Castro, Bleier, Hart, Scott, Sisco are pre-arb and will get league min (600k?) = 3.6M 

59+28.5+3.6 = 91.1M 

16 of the 20 active roster spots. Figure Hayes takes over center, not sure of his contract but im sure it peanuts. 

17 w Hayes at center. 

3 open spots - 5th SP, 3B, OF. 

Next year is gonna suck. 

33 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I agree and I don't blame him. There were enormous contracts being thrown out there and he has always known/thought the O's would never go to those levels. I will never understand the CD contract. Angelos got played like the fool he has been when he involves himself in running a baseball team. They had no reason to offer CD more than 5 years $100 million cause I don't think anyone else was even in that range. That would've been understandable even though we know how it's turned out. Having said that, the O's could still offer Manny $27-30 million per over 8-10 years no problem even with that CD contract. We know they won't though. 

I thought the Davis contract was ok at the time.  Wasn't a huge fan of it, figured the last two years of it had the chance to be pretty painful.  Never thought he'd play like complete dog **** for the entire thing though.  

But yes, you are correct.  O's bid against themselves on that one, no evidence to the contrary.

48 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

2019 Roster is going to be depressing. Payroll could be less than 100M. 

Davis (17M), trumbo (11), Cobb (14), ODay (9), Cashner (8)  = 59 M on the books

Bundy (6), Gausman (7), Beckham (4), Schoop (8.5), Givens (3) are arb eligible = 28.5M .... im approx the arb numbers using last years numbers

Mancini, Castro, Bleier, Hart, Scott, Sisco are pre-arb and will get league min (600k?) = 3.6M 

59+28.5+3.6 = 91.1M 

16 of the 20 active roster spots. Figure Hayes takes over center, not sure of his contract but im sure it peanuts. 

17 w Hayes at center. 

3 open spots - 5th SP, 3B, OF. 

Next year is gonna suck. 

As it should be.  We should be shedding payroll for the next 3 years, not signing any big name FAs, and try to get as many prospects/picks from any tradeable assets we have to load up for a run from 2022 - 2026ish, at which point we should consider going after big name FAs again.  

7 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

As it should be.  We should be shedding payroll for the next 3 years, not signing any big name FAs, and try to get as many prospects/picks from any tradeable assets we have to load up for a run from 2022 - 2026ish, at which point we should consider going after big name FAs again.  

Not sure if your timeline is set in stone, but I agree with the path. I think our roster and farm system will indicate when it's time to start investing in FA. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

As much as I love the guy, they shouldn't offer him that. That would restrict them terribly, especially over the next 2-4 years while they are also paying Davis. If the O's paid him that, we'd basically have another 1990s installment of the team where people would show up to watch the SS and see us finish 25 games out. 

Respectfully I disagree for four  reasons.

1. They have about $40-45 million coming off the books this season and another $35-40 million after 2019. They are also going to save $13-18 million this season with the trades of Machado, Britton and possibly Jones along with Colby quitting. 

2. The O’s may only have one other player to try to lock up while the CD contract is still around and that’s Schoop. I’m not sure of his value now salary wise. 

3. A lot of next years roster won’t need a lot of external notifications. OF should be at least two of Mullins, Stewart, Hays, McKenna if not all three positions depending on Mancini. Not sure they’d be able to trade Trumbo in the off-season. Infield would be Manny, Schoop and Mancini/CD, with 3rd unknown. (I’d rather move Machado back to third) Starting pitching is basically set and bullpen has a lot of inexpensive options next season like Brandon Kline and Fry. 

4. Three years from now when it

would otherwise be time to invest in free agents if this team didn’t spend, who would be better than a 29 year old Machado? I would guess probably nobody given his age. So sign him this off-season as part of a long term plan to contend in 2-3 years from now. 

Again, I know it won’t happen. Just saying signing Machado and rebuilding aren’t mutually exclusive. 

For a well run team.

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

my only counter to all of that is we don't have ANY pitching that we can truly rely on...we have two guys who MIGHT contribute as starters, but they've been inconsistent. 

overall, I see your point though

I agree. I wouldn’t be trying to win next season by spending money anywhere else. 

Aside from the Manny trade, I would love to see some bold thoughtful action by this team. DFA Tillman and CD during this break. Mancini to first full time, Mullins coming up to RF, Stewart in LF while Jones is still with the O’s. Just cut this deadweight now and be done with it. It would dramatically change the currently opinion many of us have of this organization we love. 

31 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So what do we think of Mancini?  How are we explaining this season for him, relative to last season?  What do really have there?

I think tomorrow might be the telling season...I can't imagine last year was a fluke because it was sustained. But this season makes you wonder if he can be consistent. 

45 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So what do we think of Mancini?  How are we explaining this season for him, relative to last season?  What do really have there?

I think it was a huge mistake to not put him on the DL immediately after he got stitches in his knee. He has admitted in the recent past that he still feels it. This can have a big impact on his swing mechanics. 

Having said that, I also think there is such thing as trying too hard. He seems to be mentally beating himself up far too much. All that plus sucking in the OF, which he has to know he does, probably doesn’t help with all the negative going on. 

Was doing a fun/sad exercise of what the O’s cost themselves by not giving a 4th year to Markakis and Cruz. These are the moves I consider a direct result of not signing them: 

over spend to the tune of a combined $200 million on CD and Trumbo. Total waste $100 million which could have been used elsewhere.

Traded Tarpley and another player for Snider in 2015. 

Traded Davies for Parra in 2016.

Signed guys like Kim and Rasmus. (Maybe they sign Kim anyway). 

Probably cost the O’s at least one playoff appearance as well. 

Archived