Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, here is what I would do between now and 7/31....

Sell at any cost: Jones, Britton, Valencia, Trumbo, and Brach

Listen and consider trading: Schoop, Gausman, and Givens

Probably hold unless blown away: Bundy

I only really included the guys I thought that people might ask for. 

I'd be selling on Bundy and Gausman.  I think we could get a good package back for Bundy.  A team that can score some runs and look at him as a 3rd starter could bring back some good talent.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd be selling on Bundy and Gausman.  I think we could get a good package back for Bundy.  A team that can score some runs and look at him as a 3rd starter could bring back some good talent.  

I agree. Trade anyone that gets you a plus deal. 

I’m probably not trading Schoop, Bundy or Gausman at this point. I think the O’s would be selling low and they would be better served to wait until the off-season. Not that I wouldn’t listen. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I’m probably not trading Schoop, Bundy or Gausman at this point. I think the O’s would be selling low and they would be better served to wait until the off-season. Not that I wouldn’t listen. 

I'm fine with that - when I say "listen" I just mean that they are open to it but don't feel compelled to do it at all costs. They have the off-season and next year's deadline which might raise value. 

But, if Jones, Brach, or Britton are still here in August I'll be frustrated. I'd also love for them to unload a couple guys just to clear room (Valencia, for example). 

No way Britton is here. Only way Jones is here is if he vetoes a trade. I don’t know how much of a market there is for Brach. Won’t be much of a return but I hope he goes too. I’d love to see some spots open up. 

Valencia may be on the team into August. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

No way Britton is here. Only way Jones is here is if he vetoes a trade. I don’t know how much of a market there is for Brach. Won’t be much of a return but I hope he goes too. I’d love to see some spots open up. 

That all sounds like what I think too...market or not, I think Brach is only under contract through this year so he's someone I'd sell for virtually anything. Same with Valencia, though that could happen in August. I'd love to trick someone into taking Trumbo, but his contract isn't all that restrictive...it's just a spot in the lineup he's taking up. 

46 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I think teams looking for more value whom don't want to give up higher prospect(s) for Britton would in in on Brach. He's having a "bad" year but his FIP is in line with his career numbers. He's just not a closer. I think the O's could absolutely peel off a C+ prospect or two for him. Especially a playoff team that wants one more dependable arm for the postseason to shorten the game. 

Kinda interesting how Valencia could never find a home. 

For a guy that's a solid major league hitter that crushes left handed pitching, never more than 3 years in one spot.  If he were just a little bit better against righthanded pitching, you could insert him at DH and leave him there.

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Kinda interesting how Valencia could never find a home. 

For a guy that's a solid major league hitter that crushes left handed pitching, never more than 3 years in one spot.  If he were just a little bit better against righthanded pitching, you could insert him at DH and leave him there.

In some ways that sounds just like the type of guy who would bounce around a bit. He's a luxury as a platoon player for a good team. If he's in your everyday lineup, you could stand to improve there. But if he's coming off the bench to hit lefties, that's a nice-to-have. Usually someone like that switches hands from teams not in the race. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Remember when Schoop was a building block though?  Where we were worrying about how we were gonna keep this budding star in the making? Those were the days.  lol

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Remember when Schoop was a building block though?  Where we were worrying about how we were gonna keep this budding star in the making? Those were the days.  lol

Remember when people on the board thought he'd need 100 million to re-sign? Imagine if that had happened this past offseason!He and Davis, the quarter billion bums. 

I just guess we'll have to see how the rest of this year and next goes. He probably is just having a lot season. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I would still keep Schoop as a building block but the “plan” sounds like they don’t want to pay even young players.

I wonder if he'd want to stay. If not, we'd be best served to trade him by next year's deadline (enough time for him to progress to the mean but also still giving the trade partner some team control).

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Was listening to the BBTN podcast, they are saying its a down market this year.

The AL is essentially sewn up save for one widlcard berth, and even then, it's between two AL West teams. That hurts because there are fewer graspers out there and thus, more sellers out there. 

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think teams looking for more value whom don't want to give up higher prospect(s) for Britton would in in on Brach. He's having a "bad" year but his FIP is in line with his career numbers. He's just not a closer. I think the O's could absolutely peel off a C+ prospect or two for him. Especially a playoff team that wants one more dependable arm for the postseason to shorten the game. 

Was reading comments on MASN and someone suggested Brach and Britton as a package. That wouldn't be bad but teams would likely need to send salary back to the O's to stay under that threshold. I'd be open to whatever nets the best prospects.

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Remember when people on the board thought he'd need 100 million to re-sign? Imagine if that had happened this past offseason!He and Davis, the quarter billion bums. 

I just guess we'll have to see how the rest of this year and next goes. He probably is just having a lot season. 

I think he is going to bounce back. He's trended up nicely the last few years in a lot of ways and he's been great at 2nd for the most part. He's helped turn numerous DPs with his cannon of an arm and is great in the shift in the OF. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I would still keep Schoop as a building block but the “plan” sounds like they don’t want to pay even young players.

If they can't extend Schoop, they should trade him.   Not after this year (probably wouldn't get much anyway), but definitely before he hits FA.   There's not much point in keeping anyone on the roster who is going to hit FA before 2022, and who you don't view as a stopgap.  We should not make the same mistake we did with Machado and Britton.  

16 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Vintage Os loss.  Beckham should have had three errors that game.  Two in the bottom of the tenth.  Generous scoring for them not to be errors.

I would bet good money that those will be changed. It's absurd his first throw in the tenth wasn't immediately ruled an error. Whomever made that decision should be fired. 

It just sort of hit me that Manny Machado no longer plays for us ☹ It took a day or two to hit me.

Such a good player, one of my favorite O's ever, might even be my second favorite behind Cal. 

And I don't care about the steroid stuff I still really like Rafael Palmeiro. 0

Archived