Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Baseball is losing my dollar daily. 

They know the product is not up to snuff and continue to screw it up for the fans. 

Not just the O's. Baseball in general. The product is much worse than the NBA. 

Problem is there is no way to fix it without screwing up history. 

Save them as historic records, let's make new ones and bring excitement to the game... It is beyond PAST Time. 

New poll is that among younger sports fans...baseball is behind soccer as far as viewing. Not even shocking. 

At least there is some semblance of pride in the NFL.  

Baseball is starting to just suck to watch overall because they won't upgrade the game. 

NBA and NFL have added and changed the game and still keep it entertaining and interesting. 

I miss the steroid era. 

I say this as a fan of baseball... NASCAR is more interesting. 

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Baseball is losing my dollar daily. 

They know the product is not up to snuff and continue to screw it up for the fans. 

Not just the O's. Baseball in general. The product is much worse than the NBA. 

Problem is there is no way to fix it without screwing up history. 

Save them as historic records, let's make new ones and bring excitement to the game... It is beyond PAST Time. 

New poll is that among younger sports fans...baseball is behind soccer as far as viewing. Not even shocking. 

At least there is some semblance of pride in the NFL.  

Baseball is starting to just suck to watch overall because they won't upgrade the game. 

NBA and NFL have added and changed the game and still keep it entertaining and interesting. 

I miss the steroid era. 

I say this as a fan of baseball... NASCAR is more interesting. 

I'm not sure what to say here.  I mean, home runs are at an all time high even including the steroid era. 

Not sure what upgrades are necessary to baseball.  

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure what to say here.  I mean, home runs are at an all time high even including the steroid era. 

Not sure what upgrades are necessary to baseball.  

It's a rant. 

I hate the DH, I hate the buy or sell trading, I hate the trades, I hate the different rules for a league because of being in a different "league" technically. 

Hell, I find it to be incredibly annoying to force a pitcher to make four throws on a forced walk. 

Not to mention who in this day and age between the ages of 16 and 60 can go to 81 games at home field ? bring in the costs of going ? 

It's a rant. 

I hate the DH, I hate the buy or sell trading, I hate the trades, I hate the different rules for a league because of being in a different "league" technically. 

Hell, I find it to be incredibly annoying to force a pitcher to make four throws on a forced walk. 

Not to mention who in this day and age between the ages of 16 and 60 can go to 81 games at home field ? bring in the costs of going ? 

They changed that rule at least - you can just send a player down to first if you're walking him. 

It's a rant. 

So you hate the DH but are complaining about the game being boring?  Nothing more boring than watching a pitcher hit.

I’m torn in whether baseball needs limit shifts in some way. Technically if you say only two guys can be on either side of second, it would be more in line with the history of baseball. Maybe have a line behind second base so an infielder knows he can’t cross it before the pitch. Maybe say an infielder has to be on the dirt. I don’t know. I do think the game is getting worse to watch. 

In sports in general, I get why analytics are used, but I think they are changing games for the worse. The NBA is near unwatchable with teams jacking up countless 3s. Infield shifts are crushing averages, which is making the game all homeruns, walks or strikeouts. 

I havent read the article yet but I think on ESPN I saw the title being something like “New pitchers are getting better and it’s bad for baseball.”

Just now, Hersh said:

I’m torn in whether baseball needs limit shifts in some way. Technically if you say only two guys can be on either side of second, it would be more in line with the history of baseball. Maybe have a line behind second base so an infielder knows he can’t cross it. Maybe say an infielder has to be on the dirt. I don’t know. I do think the game is getting worse to watch. 

In sports in general, I get why analytics are used, but I think they are changing games for the worse. The NBA is near unwatchable with teams jacking up countless 3s. Infield shifts are crushing averages, which is making the game all homeruns, walks or strikeouts. 

I havent read the article yet but I think on ESPN I saw the title being something like “New pitchers are getting better and it’s bad for baseball.”

I hate the shift but I don't want to see the game make rules against it.  

I don’t know. If the game continues to be bullpen guys being dominant and the shift playing a big role, something has to give at some point 

Just now, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah, how about hitters learn to hit to the opposite field or god forbid, bunt.  

I sorta agree but hitting opposite field isn’t that easy. Do we really want to see the game turn into endless bunting? This is why I’m torn.

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don’t know. If the game continues to be bullpen guys being dominant and the shift playing a big role, something has to give at some point 

I sorta agree but hitting opposite field isn’t that easy. Do we really want to see the game turn into endless bunting? This is why I’m torn.

If hitters starting bunting against the shift, it would largely end the shift (except for stubborn players who try to hit through it), at least according to Joe Posnanski: 

https://www.mlb.com/news/making-sense-of-the-twins-bunting-gripe/c-270501102

34 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If hitters starting bunting against the shift, it would largely end the shift (except for stubborn players who try to hit through it), at least according to Joe Posnanski: 

I would definitely prefer to see this happen the making rules against the shift, but I think the analytics suggest that it's not the right play. Another reason to hate analytics in sports 

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well if you're going to single out the best baseball player of all time and say that he was good enough to do it....I'll point to the hundreds of thousands of pitchers that can't crack .200.   

I can just as easily say that is part of the game right ? 

Thus the rotation. 

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I can just as easily say that is part of the game right ? 

Thus the rotation. 

I am pretty sure that the only place that the DH is NOT part of the game is in the National League.  That means they use it in all minor league games, college baseball, Japanese baseball, and semi-pro.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am pretty sure that the only place that the DH is NOT part of the game is in the National League.  That means they use it in all minor league games, college baseball, Japanese baseball, and semi-pro.  

Aren't they a part of MLB ? 

My point is the rules should be the same. 

Are you not getting that?

I certainly didn't grow up with a DHin HS or less. 

Why not also limit the roster / # of subs so that your position players would also have to pitch more frequently.   Wasn't it awesome when Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds had to pitch for their teams?  Then everyone would have to be a "complete baseball player" like back in the old days.  Real baseball !

I would hate for baseball to legislate against the shift. I think the original "positions" were arbitrary. I love that a team could bring a 5th infielder or (usually with the shift) position a 4th outfielder. Is there any other sport that mandates how you defend your opponent? 

I think we are currently seeing players unable to beat the shift because they didn't grow up facing it. Of course Chris Davis will have huge holes in his swing if he tried to go oppo, but the slugging first baseman coming up through high school today is aware of the shift and is probably developing a counterpunch. I see it as something that offenses will ultimately catch up with. 

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think it could work but it'd have to be teamwide strategy.  Right now, if it's just one guy (who probably isnt good at it) desperately bunting against the shift once a game, the defense will take that all day.  Doesnt really help if the next guy is flailing away pulling right into the shift and cant move a runner.

Now if several guys are consistently bunting or going the other way against the shift, then the defense is shifting themselves into a diamond full of base runners and asking for trouble.  

It just isnt as easy as it sounds because they shouldn't be giving you pitches you can easily punch the other way.  

In general, I just think modern baseball hate the bunt.  They dont work on it, probsbly have never done it, it's not glamorous, and it's not gonna get you paid.

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would hate for baseball to legislate against the shift. I think the original "positions" were arbitrary. I love that a team could bring a 5th infielder or (usually with the shift) position a 4th outfielder. Is there any other sport that mandates how you defend your opponent? 

I see your point, but I think every sport has some rule of what you cant do in defending an opponent.  

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I see your point, but I think every sport has some rule of what you cant do in defending an opponent.  

I should have clarified. 

There are violations and rules (you can't foul people in basketball or line up off-sides in football), but the sports don't generally legislate positioning. If my guys aren't off-sides in football, I can have 1 down lineman or 6. 

Edit: My larger point is that I think as hitters are aware of this as a potential obstacle, they will be better equipped to beat or discourage it. It's only been a thing for a few years now, so guys in their late-20s or 30s didn't develop with this as something they prepared for. Without practice it's damn hard to just hit the ball the other way. 

Aren't they a part of MLB ? 

My point is the rules should be the same. 

Are you not getting that?

I certainly didn't grow up with a DHin HS or less. 

The rules ARE the same.  In every league.  Except the National League.

:) 

29 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Basketball has three in the key (but also applies to the offense).   I didn't know this but apparently zone defense was illegaly up until 1983.  Then the defensive three second violation introduced in 2001 which made it harder to play zone. 

I prefer small ball: singles, doubles, triples, steals, etc. HRs are great, but I like when a team bats around and sprays the ball all over the field. More exciting. HRs should be exclamation points or daggers. Not the whole offense.

The DH in baseball is the 3 point line in basketball, the 2 point conversion/return for 2 in football or the shootout in hockey. 

Who the **** wants to watch a pitcher bunt, whiff or look helpless, all the while hitting .092 on the season?  Yes, some pitchers can hit, but it’s less than 5%. 

Archived