Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

On 7/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, TheDoyler23 said:

Then end of the game got weird last night. Two position players needed to end it for the Rays. The first one didn’t actually know the mechanics of pitching, to set his hands, so he balked with every pitch. 

I get the white flag mentality of running a position player out there to save the pen. But man, at least put in someone that knows to set. Jeez. 

Yeah that was ugly.  Very unprofessional.  The second one was really slow but at least he knew what he was doing and threw strikes.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, TheDoyler23 said:

Then end of the game got weird last night. Two position players needed to end it for the Rays. The first one didn’t actually know the mechanics of pitching, to set his hands, so he balked with every pitch. 

I get the white flag mentality of running a position player out there to save the pen. But man, at least put in someone that knows to set. Jeez. 

It was terrible. I think what some people within the sport (really all sports) fail to realize that the entertainment aspect of the game matters. 

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Yeah, now if we can just play the Rays the rest of the year.

The Rays are .500ish and look like garbage right now. They have 1 starting pitcher and I’m not meaning that they other 4 are of low quality — they don’t exist! Weird. 

Brach traded to Braves FOR international signing money. What? Our birds are GAINING signing money!?

That’s new. 

4 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I actually don’t mind when position players pitch occasionally, but they should know what they’re doing and be able to throw strikes.  That display was little league with him walking four batters and not being even close to the strike zone for the most part.

Yea I don’t care either. But at least be able to set your hands and throw. It’s like, the second thing you learn when pitching besides where to stand. 

So it’s really more of an embarrassment for Cash more than anything. Be jealous that they don’t have Chris Davis, the true bullpen hero! 

4 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The Rays are .500ish and look like garbage right now. They have 1 starting pitcher and I’m not meaning that they other 4 are of low quality — they don’t exist! Weird. 

Brach traded to Braves FOR international signing money. What? Our birds are GAINING signing money!?

That’s new. 

The fact they could get anything for Brach at this point is amazing. He's been brutal of late and really has struggled all year. I'm hoping they can unload some more of these guys in the next day and a half. 

Just now, Redskin4ever said:

The fact they could get anything for Brach at this point is amazing. He's been brutal of late and really has struggled all year. I'm hoping they can unload some more of these guys in the next day and a half. 

If they use the money they just got for Brach to get Victor Victor Mesa, I'm going to be excited.  Getting him would cap off a really nice group of in-season moves to kick off the rebuild.  

The Os save around 2M for not having to pay Brach's remaining contract. Sounds like Mesa may eb ruled eligible soon and will command a 3.5M signing. I cant find a list of teams current IFA money left to spend but we still have signed no one. Marlins have signed 10 players but no report of money spent so they could be small 35k type signings and.

Id love to know which teams still have at least 3.5M in bonus money left besides us. Also, 15 of the top 50 IFA will become eligible over the next few months when they turn 16 but I doubt the Os show interest in 16 year olds since they have 0 international scouting. A 22 year old sure-fire Victor Mesa doesnt require an internal scouting dept imo.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2018/7/27/17623422/orioles-rumors-victor-victor-mesa-cuba-prospect-signing

During the Machado sweepstakes, it seems 3/5 of a teams top prospects are IFA. 4 of the top 5 prospects in MLB are IFA.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=prospects

I like what Im hearing. If they dont sign Mesa bc we low balled him then I will be disappointed. If we offered him the 3.5M and he just choose Miami over us, I can accept that.

edit - sounds like the Os want to move Jones just to save on remaining salary but he wont waive the no trade. Hopefully we just let him play out his farewell season and dont cut him or something crappy like that. Adam has been the face of our franchise during our rise, gives back to the community and a fan favorite.

4 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

22 years old so hes ready. Ive read comparisons to Carlos Gomez. Seems to be a five tool CF with pull power. 

Oh, man...that would be an AMAZING get.  I hope the O's can pull this one off. 

As far as Jones, I think they'll let him play out the year in Baltimore.  They'll give him the proper send off when the season winds down.  Hopefully he agrees to move to corner OF so Mullins can come up. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Oh, man...that would be an AMAZING get.  I hope the O's can pull this one off. 

As far as Jones, I think they'll let him play out the year in Baltimore.  They'll give him the proper send off when the season winds down.  Hopefully he agrees to move to corner OF so Mullins can come up. 

Getting someone like that to replace Jones would be unreal. That could certainly jump-start this rebuild. 

As for Jones, I understand that he's "earned the right" to do whatever he wants. But, I'm a little disappointed that he's going to stick around when it's clear the team would like him to go. Again, yes, he's ALLOWED to, but I'd prefer that he let us get something back for him. I love the guy though, and I guess he wasn't going to bring back a huge haul anyway. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Getting someone like that to replace Jones would be unreal. That could certainly jump-start this rebuild. 

As for Jones, I understand that he's "earned the right" to do whatever he wants. But, I'm a little disappointed that he's going to stick around when it's clear the team would like him to go. Again, yes, he's ALLOWED to, but I'd prefer that he let us get something back for him. I love the guy though, and I guess he wasn't going to bring back a huge haul anyway. 

I think they just want to trim payroll as much as possible at this point. If they traded him now, theyd save 5.8M. He makes a shade under 105k every game. You trade Jones, you got Mesa signing money plus a couple Million to roll into international scouting department.

Assuming the Os reinvest the money they save by trading Brach or Jones etc ... we saved 6.3M trading Manny.

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think a big part of it is that he doesn't want to uproot his family...which I understand. 

Jones has little-to-no trade value.  The return would be peanuts, so I'm OK with him playing out the year as long as he's not blocking the path of someone like Mullins. 

I am slightly surprised he wouldn't want to play for a contender. It's a quick, 2-month sprint and he could be re-immersed in meaningful games. Hell, couldn't he live in a hotel for August/September without up-rooting his family at all? He's on the road half the time as it is. 

Like I said, it's not a big deal to me...but I'm mildly surprised that someone like Jones wouldn't want a chance to play in October. 

27 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think a big part of it is that he doesn't want to uproot his family...which I understand. 

Jones has little-to-no trade value.  The return would be peanuts, so I'm OK with him playing out the year as long as he's not blocking the path of someone like Mullins. 

I'd take the peanuts.  Him staying isnt gonna help the franchise.

Personally, adding 3-4 more guys to the 8 we've already gotten (plus potentially VV) would be quite the overhaul in the span of a couple weeks. 

Granted, when the mission is this singular, it's probably pretty easy to acquire some prospects. What's much more difficult is probably keeping the farm system stocked while trying to contend. 

9 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Neither will the 28yo AAA player we'll get in return. 

I'll take my chances.  You just never know.  Cant find hidden gems if you dont even bother.

But what I do know is Jones sticking around is not gonna do doing anything for anybody.

Archived