Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I have to admit in all the times I have watched Alex over the past decade, I cannot recall the gross inaccuracies. Maybe a closet KC fan can chime in.

Is his completion % up to snuff with his career numbers.... I assume so, but its more than that. Missing, vs missing ugly, are 2 different things.

ill admit im more of a player fan than i am an organization fan.  When your local team trades Joe Montana to K.C., and then looses to said team, it has a way of making you say **** the owners.  We selected our first round #1 over all pick QB and i stuck by his side from day one.  my wife and i have seen Alex play live 4 times. Twice in S.F., once in Oakland as a chief, and at arrowhead vs the saints.  He has never lost a game ive attended.  The only reason i follow Alex is because i know hes had a raw deal his whole career, starting with the botched shoulder surgery.  He has handled all of his **** situations with class.

With that said, the wife and i cant figure out what the **** hes doing out their at the moment lol.  It looks to me like he really needed the time with the new team in the preseason.  He looks uncomfortable and way out of sink with his receivers.  I am 100 percent confident that within the next couple of weeks things will turn around for the passing attack.  You guys also need to realize that Alex is likely the most unselfish player in the NFL. He dont give a **** about stats. Just wins.  No matter how well he ends up playing here or how far he takes the Redskins  hes well aware that  in today's NFL all the fantasy football retards will call for a new qb no matter what.   I think he will turn it around,  and when he dose the skins will be real contenders.

On a side note,  when he started out for a 2 and 14 team in K.C. the fans said if Charles goes down K.C. is doomed.  Turned out, all Alex needed was to stop giving him the ball all the time.  Alex's  production jumped big time when he lost his # 1 play maker.  right now AP is doing just fine.  if he goes down the offence will change but the wins will keep coming!  Man its hard being an Alex Smith fan lol.  HTTR

Smith is a good fit for the organisation right now. He's never going to be great, and  he's off the boil in some areas at the moment, but he's here to do a job. Control the game, control the possession and field territory, play largely mistake free, get the best from our average resource on offense, and by the looks of things let our D take over games....

Winning football games 20-13 really is **** for now isn't it.......

I think about an NFL team as an F1 or NASCAR car. You have engineers and guys in the factory creating and manufacturing the parts, that's like FO and preseason in the NFL. Then, to have a good car you need reliable engine, good tires, fuel.. (defense, special teams, skill players..). Once the race starts you also need a good strategy and pit crew (Coaching obviously) but at the end of the day, the result will depend upon the driver. 

And Alex is a very good driver, give him a great car and he'll drive it all the way home, and pick a lot of victories. Yes, you have some great drivers that will take more risks and probably win a few races with an inferior car as well, but they're also prone to crashing (turning the ball over).

So, I think he's also a smart guy, who knows where to put his eggs (KC, Skins) and where he'll get those victories. It can't be just luck that he's having so many consecutive winning seasons. 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

So what's your schedule look like over the next 8 Sunday's?

We gotta make sure you're at those games. ?

ill be heading from cali to dc before the end of the regular season. that ones on me.  we can set up a go fund me page for the other 7 :cheers:

I saw Jay interviewed today, and again said sic watch out for Doctson.  He said last game they had big plays dialed up for him and both times penalties etc killed those calls. One of them was the Sprinkle False start, and I cannot recall the other.  I just wish Jay would find a way to try again within the same game, vs next week.  Maybe our formation gave it away, whatever. Point being he keeps talking up Alex and Josh / other WRs trending upwards.  And they damn well better, as there should only be one way to go..... up!

Thanks for the great info on Alex  @nor cal 11

23 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I have to assume you mean me since i am literally the only person on this page anyway that said anything about record, and certainly the only one recent. I actually never said it was a big difference. I said it was a big metric. Also, not sure who teaches that level of math in Pre-k but maybe it's just because I am old. But I digress as you did. 

Yes, it's just one game - i said nothing else. Just one game. I also said it's not the only metric. So I only can speak for myself, but I never said what you are seeming being defensive about. I do have to wonder what the conversation would be if the team were 2-5. It's still only one game difference. I mean it's only one game. 

As for teams with winning records - you play who you play. And all NFL teams can beat any other NFL team. But Ok I will play along. Of the 4 wins last year - only 2 were against winning teams. Not sure what the fuss is. It's only one game. 

Hey bud, my apologies if you felt insulted or ridiculed in any way, that wasn't my intention, at least personally. I tend to be sarcastic at times but not intentionally looking to step on anyone's toes.

I thought I had seen it on a few posts, maybe I'm wrong, but I was only trying to look at it from a different angle.

In a way I was trying to say for people to not look so much into the record thing, it can be very mis-leading.  Now, if the Redskins beat the Falcons sunday then i'll feel a little differently about it, I get the idea that any team on any given sunday, but the offense is steadily hovering around 20-ish points, and after Indy took them behind the woodshed and shut them down, I was willing to consider that a 'one-off', but then a few weeks later the Saints embarrassed them on national tv, and it wasn't remotely close.

The season moves on, the next opponent comes, and it leaves me thinking; if the Redskins lose, it will be looked at as a desperation win by Atlanta, but if the Redskins win, it will be viewed as Atlanta has really dropped off and are not a good team this year, so there's sort of a mind play game as far as a confidence level is considered. When the Eagles game comes it will be that plateau type of game; if the Redskins win THEN they will really get the recognition and hype they deserve, but this team has to beat a playoff-type team in the week 8-13 range or it will be a case of smoking mirrors.

50 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Hey bud, my apologies if you felt insulted or ridiculed in any way, that wasn't my intention, at least personally. I tend to be sarcastic at times but not intentionally looking to step on anyone's toes.

I thought I had seen it on a few posts, maybe I'm wrong, but I was only trying to look at it from a different angle.

In a way I was trying to say for people to not look so much into the record thing, it can be very mis-leading.  Now, if the Redskins beat the Falcons sunday then i'll feel a little differently about it, I get the idea that any team on any given sunday, but the offense is steadily hovering around 20-ish points, and after Indy took them behind the woodshed and shut them down, I was willing to consider that a 'one-off', but then a few weeks later the Saints embarrassed them on national tv, and it wasn't remotely close.

The season moves on, the next opponent comes, and it leaves me thinking; if the Redskins lose, it will be looked at as a desperation win by Atlanta, but if the Redskins win, it will be viewed as Atlanta has really dropped off and are not a good team this year, so there's sort of a mind play game as far as a confidence level is considered. When the Eagles game comes it will be that plateau type of game; if the Redskins win THEN they will really get the recognition and hype they deserve, but this team has to beat a playoff-type team in the week 8-13 range or it will be a case of smoking mirrors.

No worries. Thanks for the response. In general I agree, record is not the best metric for an individual. 

Having said that, it’s not the worst either. Last game, while Alex clearly did not have a good game growing the ball, the 3 0s really caught my eye.  No fumbles, no interceptions and no sacks.  Is some of that support cast? Of course. But after a rocky start in those metrics he is trending very positively.  

Atlanta is is a big game. But really the more you win the more important each game gets any way. Big passing offense to defend.  Poor defense for Atl. Should be able to wear them down. It’s an opportunity to exercise some more demons.  

11 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Atlanta is is a big game. But really the more you win the more important each game gets any way. Big passing offense to defend.  Poor defense for Atl. Should be able to wear them down. It’s an opportunity to exercise some more demons.  

Big game because Atlanta is almost the microcosm test of can this formula work across the board -- run game dominated, defense dominated deal with an explosive passing game.  And what happens if they get behind.  I am not optimistic or pessimistic on this front -- got no idea, can't wait to see it play out.

As for Alex, my two rays of optimism is this.  The point below from Finlay is the same one echoed by Cooley which is he's known for accuracy, we haven't seen that too much -- that I think and hope will come and if so should help.  I have faith in Jay to figure out how to make the offense click.  I don't buy even a little that Jay is privately satisfied with Alex's play (I've heard too much from beat guys who say otherwise -- not saying that you are saying otherwise) and pumping his fist and saying hey we don't move the ball much but wow Alex isn't turning over the ball and that's what I care about the most.   I think Jay is genuinely concerned and I think concern is good -- its often what's needed to fix things.  I noticed Alex early in the game took some risky throws as some poster pointed out here -- it felt like Jay told him to fling it.  Alex is smart.  Jay is smart.  I am hoping the meeting of the minds will bear some results soon.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Big game because Atlanta is almost the microcosm test of can this formula work across the board -- run game dominated, defense dominated deal with an explosive passing game.  And what happens if they get behind.  I am not optimistic or pessimistic on this front -- got not idea, can't wait to see it play out.

As for Alex, my two rays of optimism is this.  The point below from Finlay is the same one echoed by Cooley which is he's known for accuracy, we haven't seen that too much -- that I think and hope will come and if so should help.  I have faith in Jay to figure out how to make the offense click.  I don't buy even a little that Jay is privately satisfied with Alex's play (I've heard too much from beat guys who say otherwise -- not saying that you are saying otherwise) and pumping his fist and saying hey we don't move the ball much but wow Alex isn't turning over the ball and that's what I care about the most.   I think Jay is genuinely concerned and I think concern is good -- its often what's needed to fix things.  I noticed Alex early in the game took some risky throws as some poster pointed out here -- it felt like Jay told him to fling it.  Alex is smart.  Jay is smart.  I am hoping the meeting of the minds will bear some results soon.

Edit

Yea, to say the least, I would be disappointed if Jay was Ok with what Alex has done so far. I would also guess the person most frustrated is Alex himself. He is capable of better play and he knows that. You can honestly see that in his "podcasts"? 

I do believe they will figure it out. There are small signs - clearly would like more, but there are some there. He is starting to look in Josh's direction a bit more and Josh is making some catches. I stated in another thread I think (may have been this one), Alex had 3 zeros that I saw as significant - 0 Int, 0 fumbles, 0 sacks. I don't think Richardson was as healthy as he would have liked. maybe another week will help that. 

This should be a good week to get things on track. Atlanta is much worse on D than their numbers. I live here and get to both watch their games (even when I do not want to...) and listen to local long time fans who know the team better than me lament their D. They are small and quick. Matt Ryan can be sacked - he has gone down 20 times in 7 games. Their Oline is just OK. But we can't leave guys open like we did against Cam and Eli. Ryan will shred us. 

The last two QBs both threw for almost 400 yds against Atl. But their front 7 is also small and can be manhandled. Off should have a some chances both run and pass. 

Hoping for a great game! 

16 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

So what's your schedule look like over the next 8 Sunday's?

We gotta make sure you're at those games. ?

Hahaha... start a gofundme for @nor cal 11 and his wife to attend every Skins game? 

Edit: did not realize that you already made the gofundme joke. well done.

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, to say the least, I would be disappointed if Jay was Ok with what Alex has done so far. I would also guess the person most frustrated is Alex himself. He is capable of better play and he knows that. You can honestly see that in his "podcasts"? 

Yeah I've watched the Alex reports.  Alex like any player i am sure he isn't pleased with below par performances.  

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I do believe they will figure it out. There are small signs - clearly would like more,

Agree some small signs in the last game.  I am hoping for a big step soon.  

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This should be a good week to get things on track. Atlanta is much worse on D than their numbers. I live here and get to both watch their games (even when I do not want to...) and listen to local long time fans who know the team better than me lament their D. They are small and quick. Matt Ryan can be sacked - he has gone down 20 times in 7 games. Their Oline is just OK. But we can't leave guys open like we did against Cam and Eli. Ryan will shred us. 

The last two QBs both threw for almost 400 yds against Atl. But their front 7 is also small and can be manhandled. Off should have a some chances both run and pass. 

Hoping for a great game! 

Agree with all of this.   Eli Manning of all people had a monster game against that defense.  

On 10/31/2018 at 3:10 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Wasn't today.  Still too many overthrown balls, balls nowhere close to being on target, balls coming out late, etc.  Hell, even many of the completions today were ugly passes that the receiver made a good/great play on.  Atlanta came in with the plan to stop the run game, knowing our passing game, even against their poor defense, wouldn't get the job done, especially if they, the Falcons, got out to a lead.  Their game plan was spot on and worked perfectly.

The question is how much do coaches spew a lot of fluff publicly but have more realistic expectations behind closed doors.  A lot of the fanbase seemed pretty confident Alex Smith would step into a brand new offense with mediocre skill position players and not skip a beat from last season.

Gruden publicly seemed just as optimistic, but he could just be putting on a gooberish-smile for the media, yet when the cameras are off he knew damn well it would take time to get comfortable in a new offense and players you are throwing to for the first time.

5-3 and perhaps 10-6 or even 11-5 at the end of it, so not so bad.  Teams with good quarterbacks are going to be a challenge because our guy can’t trade punches but thankfully there aren’t any good quarterbacks in the NFC East so Alex and the Skins can limp their way to a division title.

Archived