Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

13 hours ago, RWJ said:

Like what?  Please explain your thoughts, KD.

Bruce can issue a statement once they decline to tag him. In other words, why tip his hand now and comment when there's even a remote chance that they may be able to trade him or maybe even decide to transition tag him? I'm saying there is still plenty of time for Bruce to speak up and wish KC well, etc.....As far as another bomb dropping, who knows??? Maybe Denver does try and work something out with us, KC, et. al. and a trade for his rights is made after all parties decide to play ball? Very unlikely I know, but who knows?

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure why Robert Henson would get any opportunity to talk to Kirk.  He's never been kind to him with his opinions.  In fact, I'm not sure why anyone relevant would talk to Robert Henson, but that's neither here nor there.

Right. They don't seem like the best of friends. But I always thought it was about money with Kirk (and all players. Why wouldnt it be?)

I just find it funny how long it takes for ex teammates to start talking ****. Dudes have no loyalty. 

Just now, Llevron said:

I just find it funny how long it takes for ex teammates to start talking ****. Dudes have no loyalty. 

Go to google and try to find stuff on him, you have to get all the way to Robert Hen- before it starts wondering why anyone would want to know about Robert Henson.  Henson is and has been desperately trying to carve out a career in Washington as some type of media personality.  I've heard him in the past try to pull the "I know people, I was a pro, duh" card before about RG3 and other topics.

I was and am a big Kirk fan and I hated the trade for smith. But with that being said after reading some of Kirks comments its pretty obvious Kirk wasnt re-signing here. The Redskins didnt feel like waiting because it would hurt is trying to get free agents. I can atleast understand the move now. Hate that fuller is gone but I get it. I wish Kirk all the success in the world because he has been a class act here. Everything you could ask for on and off the field. However its time to get behind Alex Smith. 

HTTR

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Go to google and try to find stuff on him, you have to get all the way to Robert Hen- before it starts wondering why anyone would want to know about Robert Henson.  Henson is and has been desperately trying to carve out a career in Washington as some type of media personality.  I've heard him in the past try to pull the "I know people, I was a pro, duh" card before about RG3 and other topics.

You know what he sure did do the same thing with Griffin. I didn't even think of that. 

58 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wait what happened? I haven't been following everything

Nothing he just got on the radio and was was insinuating dude is all about the money. Specifically said that winning isn't the top of his priority list 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude was here for like 5 minutes :ols:  The only reason I even remember him is because of something that had absolutely nothing to do with football lol

As for Kirk, I'd  have no problem with him being all about the money even though I don't believe he really is. People always want to lay this fiscal morality hidden on athletes that they would not honor themselves if they were faced with the same decisions. Any issue I've had with Kirk has nothing  to do with me thinking he shouldn't go out and get what's available. Get it, son, get it.

The only thing that irks me a bit, is the only clip I've heard so far, where he basically said "**** you" in the nicest way, possible (that, I don't have a problem with at all), when talking about how the Skins wanted to talk, but he was going to the FA market, then followed it up by something like " I was surprised, and was keeping an open mind.

Come on. If he honestly believed that and it wasn't just bizarre playerspeak,  despite doing it to you, no team is just gonna sit and let you hold them hostage.

I would take the Sean Salisbury comment with grain of salt. IF the FO had locked up Kirk say two or a year ago then Kirk wouldn't be playing safe football. Kirk or any other player in the same situation is going to lookout for themselves and for their future.  Stats matter when you want a big pay day after you are let go.  

17 hours ago, bobandweave said:

How do you arrive to this conclusion?

Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins were good under Jay Gruden and the only QB they’ve drafted since they drafted Cousins was a 6th round pick named Sudfeld who is now oddly enough the backup QB on the Eagles in the Super Bowl two seasons after being drafted? 

Why the pessimistic view? 

Seriously?  Why the pessimism?  Is it not as plain as the nose on your face? 

The Redskins had ZERO concept as to the potential value of a QB who had been in their building and on their field for 3 years and at the end of 2015 didn't have the common sense to lock up Cousins to at least protect their investment in the future.  QB's who have had even average success in a QB starving league hold some value.  They had no idea what they were looking at and no foresight and subsequently pissed away any leverage they had by guessing wrong after 2015.  Doubling down on their bad analysis after 2016.  And finally crapping out at the end of 2017.   

Your remark about Sudfeld does not help your position either way.  If he sucks then they were once again wrong about a player's NFL potential; as they were wrong about RG III.  If Sudfeld goes on to have a great career then that's even worse!  They let him go to a division rival for nothing! 

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been the puppet masters behind the McFlabb disaster, RG III trade that crippled the defense for years, the Kirk fiasco where the team could have at least got a 1st round pick but will now have to settle for a 3rd round compensatory pick, then they surrendered a valuable 3rd rounder this year for an older, weaker armed version of Kirk who has had limited success in the playoffs.  And btw, once again they tried to fix the QB dilemma at the expense of the defense (Kendall Fuller). 

Your comment about Jay has no real bearing on the issue.  He doesn't make the decisions.  That's Dan and Bruce.  But since you brought him up, what was Jay's number one complaint about Kirk this season?  It was that he didn't go down field enough to give receivers opportunities to make plays; although if I was Kirk I wouldn't trust them either.  Even Kansas City fans will tell you that Alex Smith is not a down the field type of QB.  He often gets nervous in the pocket and will not keep his eyes down the field.  This past year was an outlier.  Top 10 running game and a healthy TE to occupy defenders in the middle of the field helped him hit on some deep play action.  Unless there are some dramatic changes he won't have either with the Redskins in 2018.  Jay is biding his time to go and be the OC for his brother.  He'll get paid $5mil this year and get the hell away from this clown circus.

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

I would take the Sean Salisbury comment with grain of salt. IF the FO had locked up Kirk say two or a year ago then Kirk wouldn't be playing safe football. Kirk or any other player in the same situation is going to lookout for themselves and for their future.  Stats matter when you want a big pay day after you are let go.  

EXACTLY!!  Hell, on this board alone every interception was an indictment on Kirk's future earning potential.  He knew about that.and it clearly affected him.  Then, he does what people want.  Only he and Bibbs wanted to win the last game vs the Giants.  Could have checked it down and called it a day but tried to make a play and threw a pick.  Then everyone piled on .  Damned hypocrites if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been the puppet masters behind the McFlabb disaster, RG III trade that crippled the defense for years, the Kirk fiasco where the team could have at least got a 1st round pick but will now have to settle for a 3rd round compensatory pick, then they surrendered a valuable 3rd rounder this year for an older, weaker armed version of Kirk who has had limited success in the playoffs.  And btw, once again they tried to fix the QB dilemma at the expense of the defense (Kendall Fuller). 

It's so damning when you summarize it that way, which is all true and indisputable.   All that in what, 8 or 9 years.  

Why are we pessimistic again?

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sean Salisbury is a tool and completely irrelevant.

Still waiting on Salisbury to walk naked from Bristol CT to DC  after he swore that Joe Gibbs wouldn't lead the Redskins to the playoffs.  It also goes further in that.  Salisbury has always been a Redskin's hater and anyone who takes anything he says about the Redskins seriously is not "super smart."

In those four losses, the opposing quarterbacks were Phil Simms of the Giants in the 1986 National Conference championship game, Joe Montana of the 49ers in a 1990 divisional playoff, Steve Fuller of the Bears in a 1984 divisional playoff (when Jim McMahon was out with a lacerated kidney) and Jim Plunkett of the Los Angeles Raiders in Super Bowl XIX at Tampa.

For all the troubles the Redskins have had in trying to defend their Super Bowl XXVI title, they were not about to lose to a Viking team with a stranger named Sean Salisbury at quarterback.

In a second-and-6 at the Viking 40, Salisbury's short pass floated beyond Carter into the hands of Brad Edwards, the Redskin free safety. From there, the Redskins jumped ahead, 10-7, after Rypien found Art Monk at the 3-yard line on a critical third-down pass. Rypien completed 16 of 24 passes for 172 yards and Brian Mitchell rushed for 109 yards.

Despite his short success, Salisbury will be remembered by Viking loyalists for that interception. If he's remembered at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/03/sports/sports-of-the-times-joe-gibbs-knows-how-to-roll-the-playoff-dice.html

7 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I don't know the guy. He seems like a good dude. What I have noticed is that players on the Redskins are not coming out talking about him leaving like Alex Smith leaving for the Chiefs. People are coming out about Fuller though in bunches. It's the little things you notice when stuff like this happens. Could be a good showman. Who knows. I'm looking forward to closing this chapter soon.

They don't want to appear to not want their new teammate?

9 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

They don't want to appear to not want their new teammate?

How does that not apply to the Chiefs players who are lamenting Smith leaving? Wouldn’t that make Mahomes feel bad and that he doesn’t have the confidence of his teammates? I’m just saying it cuts both ways, the situation is almost the same, and it’s not stopping Chiefs players.

For anyone saying Kirk was just all about the money as if it's a bad thing - is there a reason he should not be? Aren't the owners in it for just the money? I mean if they weren't they would not have a salary CAP. They would not have limited rookie contracts. The CBA would be all about winning on the field - nothing about revenue.  But yet that's exactly what the CBA and these contracts are all about!  Money! What's worse is Redskins fans complaining about Kirk being all about the money when this owner is clearly all about squeezing every penny out of anyone he can - maybe more than any other owner! 

I will never understand why players are supposed to altruistic and be "just about winning" and make sacrifices while owners get a pass as they they fleece players and fans alike all the way to the bank!!!  

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dude was here for like 5 minutes :ols:  The only reason I even remember him is because of something that had absolutely nothing to do with football lol

As for Kirk, I'd  have no problem with him being all about the money even though I don't believe he really is. People always want to lay this fiscal morality hidden on athletes that they would not honor themselves if they were faced with the same decisions. Any issue I've had with Kirk has nothing  to do with me thinking he shouldn't go out and get what's available. Get it, son, get it.

The only thing that irks me a bit, is the only clip I've heard so far, where he basically said "**** you" in the nicest way, possible (that, I don't have a problem with at all), when talking about how the Skins wanted to talk, but he was going to the FA market, then followed it up by something like " I was surprised, and was keeping an open mind.

Come on. If he honestly believed that and it wasn't just bizarre playerspeak,  despite doing it to you, no team is just gonna sit and let you hold them hostage.

I have a problem with people who want it all, in every facet of life.  These guys are supposed to be here to win as well as make money.  When you want so much money your team can't build a winner you're hurting them as much as a locker room cancer is

1 hour ago, zskins said:

How the hell are the teams he's essentially auditioning for supposed to know his true potential for a big contract if he's constantly playing it safe.  That shows both a selfish and stupid mindset, its not not something to praise or even accept

59 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

If Sudfeld goes on to have a great career then that's even worse!  They let him go to a division rival for nothing! 

Jay is biding his time to go and be the OC for his brother.  He'll get paid $5mil this year and get the hell away from this clown circus.

The waiver wire doesn't work like that, so you can't exactly blame them and frankly the Redskins needed every roster spot they could lay their hands on this year.  Jay signed a two year contract extension through 2020.  And frankly the paranoia on the way the Redskins roster is built is so damn tiring ever bad move is Dan or Bruce every good move is someone else despite the fact Dan or Bruce hire those people too.  And the D would have been fine except for the fact the NFL cheated the Redskins.  Oh, and limited success in the playoffs is more than Kirk as had, so don't list that as a problem for Smith1

12 minutes ago, carex said:

I have a problem with people who want it all, in every facet of life.  These guys are supposed to be here to win as well as make money.  When you want so much money your team can't build a winner you're hurting them as much as a locker room cancer is

He has won. He hasn't won it all, and he hasn't  won in the best of moments, but no one can legitimately say that he was not the most reliable cog on this team the last 3 seasons. Not if they don't want to get laughed off the stage. He deserves to be compensated for that. Appropriately. And he does not have to be fair about it.

I don't think wanting what your quality of work is worth is the same as wanting it all. Literally or figuratively. Its taking versus earning. He earned it. Whether he's  worth it, is for others to decide. His contract would not hinder the team, if they knew how to draft, and properly develop talent and foster a winning culture. Since it is clear the Washington Redskins do not know how to do that, it is not necessarily his fault. But I do agree, his contract would have hurt this team.

Equating that to being a locker room cancer, is, well, let's just say it's not the conclusion that I would arrive at

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He has won. He hasn't won it all, and he hasn't  won in the best of moments, but no one can legitimately say that he was not the most reliable cog on this team the last 3 seasons. Not if they don't want to get laughed off the stage. He deserves to be compensated for that. Appropriately. And he does not have to be fair about it.

I don't think wanting what your quality of work is worth is the same as wanting it all. Literally or figuratively. Its taking versus earning. He earned it. Whether he's  worth it, is for others to decide. His contract would not hinder the team, if they knew how to draft, and properly develop talent and foster a winning culture. Since it is clear the Washington Redskins do not know how to do that, it is not necessarily his fault. But I do agree, his contract would have hurt this team.

Equating that to being a locker room cancer, is, well, let's just say it's not the conclusion that I would arrive at

So you think it's appropriate for the best on a bad team, and from your comments I have to assume you think we're a bad team, to insist on being paid like one of the best in the league

2 minutes ago, carex said:

So you think it's appropriate for the best on a bad team, and from your comments I have to assume you think we're a bad team, to insist on being paid like one of the best in the league

Those two things are completely irrelevant to each other. Him being on a good or bad team definitely has nothing to do with it.  

Who are the top paid QBs in the NFL? It isn't Tom Brady or Drew Brees, or Aaron Rogers. No it's Mathew Stafford followed by Andrew Luck he didn't even play last year. I know it's more convenient to ignore how QB contracts work in the NFL but that does not change anything. 

5 minutes ago, carex said:

The market will set his worth. He wanted to wait for FA because Bruce clearly values him as on Osweiler. Why negotiate with that? Let the market set his worth and then everyone knows. Negotiation can begin honestly at that point. That's why I think he was surprised BA traded for Alex. He thought that was what was going to happen and he would probably be a Skin. This wants to be paid like the best in the league crap is just that, crap.

7 minutes ago, carex said:

No, I think it's appropriate for the best on a bad team to insist on being paid what his performance dictates.

Interesting....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-vikings-are-kirk-cousins’-no-1-choice/ar-BBIEiy3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE01DHP

KFAN host Paul Allen says he received a text message from a source who told him the following:

“Listening to you, I’m told Cousins has been telling people this week the Vikings are #1 with a bullet on his preference list. If offers are similar he’s taking the Vikings.”

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-vikings-are-kirk-cousins’-no-1-choice/ar-BBIEiy3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE01DHP

KFAN host Paul Allen says he received a text message from a source who told him the following:

“Listening to you, I’m told Cousins has been telling people this week the Vikings are #1 with a bullet on his preference list. If offers are similar he’s taking the Vikings.”

I heard something similar from one of the eleventy billion ESPNsiders on one of those shows this week.

If he goes there, that team will do some serious damage.

Archived