Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amazon, Apple, Google, and Facebook should be broken up

Bozo the kKklown

White House reviewing Section 230 amid efforts to push social media giants to crack down on misinformation

The White House is reviewing whether social media platforms should be held legally accountable for publishing misinformation via Section 230, a law that protects companies' ability to moderate content, White House communications director Kate Bedingfield said Tuesday.

The Section 230 debate is taking on new urgency in recent days as the administration has called on social media platforms to take a more aggressive stance on combating misinformation. The federal law, which is part of the Communications Decency Act, provides legal immunity to websites that moderate user-generated content.

Click on the link for the full article

3 hours ago, China said:

White House reviewing Section 230 amid efforts to push social media giants to crack down on misinformation

The White House is reviewing whether social media platforms should be held legally accountable for publishing misinformation via Section 230, a law that protects companies' ability to moderate content, White House communications director Kate Bedingfield said Tuesday.

The Section 230 debate is taking on new urgency in recent days as the administration has called on social media platforms to take a more aggressive stance on combating misinformation. The federal law, which is part of the Communications Decency Act, provides legal immunity to websites that moderate user-generated content.

In my opinion, the fact that they are not simple message boards where people just leave a post and others may read it, but the fact that they act as a curator to promote and demote posts propels them beyond simply a communication platform where they can wash their hands of what is posted to it.  Their algorithms are promoting content, so claims that they are simply a passive player in this doesn't hold water.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

How the Apple lobbying machine took on Georgia, and won

When Apple wanted to kill off two bills in Georgia this year, it rushed lobbyists to the state legislature, threatened to abandon key economic projects and persuaded the state attorney general to push for an Apple-friendly amendment.

Two months later, the bill that had appeared to have the most momentum stalled in the Georgia House Judiciary Committee. The committee chair did not bring the legislation to a vote during this year’s legislative session, effectively killing it in the lower chamber.

Apple’s aggressive lobbying efforts in Georgia, the extent of which were previously unreported, highlight a pattern that has played out with little national attention across the country this year: State lawmakers introduce bills that would force Apple and its fellow tech giant Google to give up some control over their mobile phone app stores. Then Apple, in particular, exerts intense pressure on lawmakers with promises of economic investment or threats to pull its money, and the legislation stalls.

“Apple has been able to intimidate and use a lot of money” to kill legislation, said Rep. Regina Cobb, a Republican state lawmaker in Arizona who championed an app store bill that didn’t pass her state’s Senate. Cobb said she has been closely following Apple’s playbook in other states. “They do it in different ways in each state, but it all comes down to strong-arming the legislature.”

“They’ve thrown those dollars around, people have seen that and I think legislators are running a little scared and saying, ‘I’m not touching this, I’m not going to put my fingers in this because it could be a negative impact on me in the future,” Cobb said.

State legislatures are often quicker-moving and more flexible than the federal government, meaning they can be better-placed to take action on complex and controversial issues. But poorly resourced local lawmakers have struggled to brush aside Apple’s lobbying firepower as the company hires key state lobbyists and focuses on killing legislation that threatens the company’s bottom line.

Facebook says post that cast doubt on covid-19 vaccine was most popular on the platform from January through March

Facebook said Saturday evening that an article raising concerns that the coronavirus vaccine could lead to death was the top performing link on its platform from January through March of this year, acknowledging the widespread reach of such material for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t have a problem with that. Companies have the right to protect their internal stuff, including policies. 

If it was a leak about an egregious thing that was run up the chain of command and blocked, that’s one thing (whistleblowing)

otherwise screw off. It’s not your right to leak internal stuff just because it’s a popular company that people are interested in. 

• Like 1

Seriously, I have zippy problem with this:

Dear Team,

It was great to connect with you at the global employee meeting on Friday. There was much to celebrate, from our remarkable new product line-up to our values driven work around climate change, racial equity, and privacy. It was a good opportunity to reflect on our many accomplishments and to have a discussion about what’s been on your mind.

I’m writing today because I’ve heard from so many of you were were incredibly frustrated to see the contents of the meeting leak to reporters. This comes after a product launch in which most of the details of our announcements were also leaked to the press.

I want you to know that I share your frustration. These opportunities to connect as a team are really important. But they only work if we can trust that the content will stay within Apple. I want to reassure you that we are doing everything in our power to identify those who leaked. As you know, we do not tolerate disclosures of confidential information, whether it’s product IP or the details of a confidential meeting. We know that the leakers constitute a small number of people. We also know that people who leak confidential information do not belong here.

As we look forward, I want to thank you for all you’ve done to make our products a reality and all you will do to get them into customers’ hands. Yesterday we released iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and watchOS 8, and Friday marks the moment when we share some of our incredible new products with the world. There’s nothing better than that. We’ll continue to measure our contributions in the lives we change, the connections we foster, and the work we do to leave the world a better place.

Thank you,

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Video I came across in my YouTube feed. 

Summary:  The video maker is an experienced tech at repairing Apple iPhones. He claims that the iPhone 12 contained software that was designed to make the phone non-repairable. And decides to test the new iPhone 13 for its repairability. 

He purchases two brand new iPhone 13s. Tests both phones to verify that both work. 

Disassembles the two phones, and swaps the motherboards between them. The result is two phones that think that every component in the phone has been replaced. 

Now. Each phone thinks that every component has been replaced. But with an identical, brand new, genuine Apple, part. 

On power up, the phones announce that it cannot verify that genuine Apple parts are installed. 

And both phones have identical "malfunctions". The battery meter doesn't work. The camera won't record video. The screen's auto brightness won't work. Facial recognition has been disabled. 

And the only thing that changed, was the serial numbers on the camera, display, battery, and other components. 

He downloads and re-installs iOS, to supposedly reset all software. 

And now there's MORE malfunctions. The front camera now will not focus at all. It no longer even offers the option of recording video. 

Apparently, the phones shipped with a pre-release version of iOS, and the version downloaded has more "malfunctions" that show up if the phone has been repaired. 

He puts the motherboards back in the original phones. And all the malfunctions go away. 

It seems pretty obvious to me. Apple has designed the phone so that every power up checks the serial numbers of the various components. And replacing any component, even with brand new, identical, genuine Apple parts, causes the software to refuse to work. 

The phone is designed so that it cannot be repaired by anybody but Apple. 

• Thumb down 2

Facebook and Instagram go down the day after whistleblower goes public

No, it's not just your internet connection..

Facebook and Instagram are indeed facing widespread outages.

The downtime isn't only affecting the social network and the photo sharing service either. Users are experiencing issues with the company's other platforms like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger as well, according to Downdetector.

https://mashable.com/article/facebook-instagram-down-oct-4-2021

I do all my dog rescue stuff on facebook. Today I was trying to coordinate an island to foster on the east coast trip for 3 dogs, then from the EC to Portland OR. Know how freaking hard that is? And I relaunched my fuundraiser to pay for it and it all crashed. 

I can't stand facebook and as soon as these last 8 dogs are out, I am taking a long freaking break and disabling it until I am about to reopen my restaurant next year, but between gofundmes being the national health care system, along with covering funeral expenses, it's the best way to fundraise for small NPOs.

There is a very important silver lining in that dumpster fire that really eases a lot of pain and without it, people will struggle.