Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

13 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

We'll see if it's truly not about the money with Kirk. 

Kirk never said its not about the money, he flat out said its part of it.  He said his #1 thing is winning.  But he also wants to get paid.  He doesn't think the two points are incompatible.  So my take for him is this:

Lets say Minny offers him 27 million a year and the Jets offer 30 million a year.  He takes Minny.  But if Minny is at 25 million and the Jets 30 million -- he goes to the Jets or where ever.  With Kirk its also likely about guaranteed money so that's likely a key X factor.

The thing is the idea that the market will continue to go up is something many of us talked about previously.  You don't have to be Nostradomus to see that coming.  I see on twitter some patting Bruce on the back of hey at least we aren't paying $30 million a year as if Bruce had some foresight.  But I don't get the logic. Bruce didn't anticipate the market.   As Dan Graziano said in an article about the Kirk contract, its easy to pick a high flying stock when its already flying high -- but the financial wiz types pick the stocks before they soar and get them at a good price. 

Bruce according to Scot was reluctant to even offer Kirk 12 million in 2015 then turned down 19 million from Kirk's agent.   The idea that some team believes enough in Kirk to pay him 30 million -- won't relax me to the idea that Bruce is probably right and the new team is probably wrong.

One of the articles about the contract talked about how people around the league are upset at the Redskins for how they handled the contract because it effects other teams.  The Jimmy G drill to me might be a case in point.  As Joel Corry said the Redskins have put a template for how not to handle QB contracts.  So SF perhaps knew that if they played games like the Redskins did with the contract they'd lose out at the end -- so they paid big to avoid all of that.

Only good thing with all of this is that it makes Alex Smith's contract seem relatively reasonable.  Not cheap.  But reasonable.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Something like 10 starts and this dude is now the highest paid player in league history.  :ols: Where's the peanut gallery to go off about how 'he's nowhere near the best so you cannot pay him like he is nor build around him' crowd at?

Yup. Think that was a stupid move too. Guy has not done anything yet. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The earlier you make a decision and lock a guy in the better.

Thats what we did with Smith, so yes we agree there.

I'm fine with 3 years of Smith at 65mil to be honest, rather than Jimmy at 5/137mil. That's just staggering. This place would meltdown if we gave a guy with about 7 starts that contract :ols:

We'll draft someone in 2019/2020 as Smiths replacement and have them on a rookie deal for 4 or 5 years if all goes well. That would be my plan.

I actually think this makes the Alex Smith deal look like an even better move. I liked Cousins, but not for the money. Since there is no going back in time to get him at the cheaper price option they were stuck with this situation. I would not have tied up the cap space it would require. 

Having said that, I would have tagged (allowed him to negotiate freely) and traded him for a 2nd or 3rd (better than the comp pick and guaranteed) and road with McCoy for a year. If the right QB comes along in the draft then take him. If not, then next year your probably drafting middle to early in each round and get one then.

I personally am curious to see what McCoy could do but we will never know, barring injury to Smith. I think all the current tag now is posturing and Cousins will be a free agent March 14th.

HTTR

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Thanks, fully gtd at signing? I agree on your other point, we got Smith on a reasonable deal.

1. Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
    When 49ers' QB Jimmy Garoppolo's 5-year deal gets finalized shortly, it will include the largest three-year cash total for a new contract in NFL history, just shy of $90 million, per source.
    1 reply1 retweet2 likes

7 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I think I read $186 million 6 years with $90 million guaranteed for Cousins somewhere as his market price.

From Spotrac : Market Value 5 yrs, $128,167,080 Avg. Salary: $25,633,416 I believe that includes the "winning team clause" ;)

Broncos will have $37 mil in cap space after cutting or trading Talib.

The money seems insane, but in three years, he'll be middle of the pack. Christ, suddenly Stafford looks like a bargain.

But to answer a question from a few pages back that I already answered, that's why you trade for Garopolo last year. So you can complete his contract extension in February instead of getting into a bidding war in March. Because - good God - if that's what the 49ers can offer, what the hell can Cleveland put on the table?

I used to think Cleveland was a long-shot destination for Cousins. But Cleveland can beat that offer easily. And if they do, Kirk has to go. He'd end up making $150 million over a 5 year period.

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Thanks, fully gtd at signing? I agree on your other point, we got Smith on a reasonable deal.

If we are on the brink of the Superbowl in the next season or two, love the Alex Smith deal.  If not, I hate it, that's where I am at on it.

Based on his age and track record, Alex isn't the type you pay for the roof for in a mega contract IMO.  But if you think with the extra 5 million a year or so you got to play with (and more than that this season) and that adds that missing piece for a Superbowl, its a smart deal.  It's also a smart deal if the idea is just staying competitive is enough -- I think Alex is good enough to allow the team to tread water even if their defense is bad, etc.

I got zero acrimony towards Alex Smith.  Like I've said, he's a super nice guy, classy dude.  Got plenty of animosity towards Bruce.  Got zero animosity towards Kirk.

I do think you need a QB to win in this league.  But he does need other units to perform.  I have more faith in Kirk than Alex to do more with less.  And heck that could purely be about Kirk has had more practice with that.  I am as hardcore for Alex getting a running game and defense to help him win than i was with Kirk. the QB is critical.  The nuance to me about QB is that a good one can win with average units elsewhere -- but its really hard to do when other units are atrocious.

Jimmy G got big numbers, but it's really a middle of the road Franchise QB deal (based on trended AAV). His deal is in line with Russell Wilson. Not as good as Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, Luck and Brees. Better than Ben, Carr, Eli, Rivers, Newton, and Flacco.

The details of the guaranteed amount will be interesting to see.

49ers knew this is what it was going to take when they made the trade.

5 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

So Jimmy gets 3/90M and we get Alex Smith for in or about 3/60M .... Hard to argue Jimmy will be better than Smith over the next 3 years, let alone 10M/year better.

Every year, we freak out about the QB contracts. And within five years, those contracts seem small. I'm not falling into this trap any longer.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Every year, we freak out about the QB contracts. And within five years, those contracts seem small. I'm not falling into this trap any longer.

While I do agree... i would imagine the amount of cap increase is going to slow over the next 3 - 5 years... which will change that a good bit.

6 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If nothing else, the Kirk Cousins saga taught me that "prove it before I pay you" is not a sound strategy for QBs. That's what you're advocating. 

Flacco showed that first. He wanted 18 million a year. The Ravens offered 16 million. He wins the Super Bowl and gets 20 million and he's been cashing in on that every since. 

People should learn not to get emotional about players.

Management and ownership got emotional about RGIII and that was bad. Now fans are getting emotional about Cousins.

Neither quarterback took the team to the Superbowl. No one player is worth crippling a team over.

14 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Flacco showed that first. He wanted 18 million a year. The Ravens offered 16 million. He wins the Super Bowl and gets 20 million and he's been cashing in on that every since. 

It's a sound strategy from the player perspective if you believe in your self and especially if you play well. Less so from the team and front office point of view (was my point). 

Archived