Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

23 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Wait what? Am I really the only one that knows that Alex Smith is 33 years old and is younger then

All of those guys are older. What makes signing Alex Smith say we are rebuilding? Age won’t even play a role with Alex Smith because he’s never had a cannon arm that’s made him great. He’s a cerebral QB and only will get better with time

How do you figure this? 

All of those guys with the exception of Cutler & McCown are IMO also better than Smith.   Smith could very well be the rule in that most players hit the wall in their mid 30's - instead of being one of the exceptional exceptions.   But even if there's no dip in his play or he gets slightly better I don't think I'd ever classify him as being "great".  You and I seem to be far enough on apart on that opinion to explain the 2nd comment you quoted.   

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If we get Aqib Talib for Cousins it would be insane. That is the twitter rumor. Colin Cowerd said Cousins is close to agreeing to contract with Broncos.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Colin-Cowherd-reports-Broncos-close-to-deal-with-Kirk-Cousins-114466121 

Sure would fill the hole we created yesterday by trading away our CB, and maybe blunt the pitchforks over Fuller a bit, saving the FO some face in the process.... and would do Denver a favour because they're really tight on cap if they want Cousins... Talib is old, but he is still very productive, had a good year last year and only one season out from an all-pro year. His contract is $11mill and $8mill for the next two years. Not cheap, but not exactly killer.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

If we get Aqib Talib for Cousins it would be insane. That is the twitter rumor. Colin Cowerd said Cousins is close to agreeing to contract with Broncos.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Colin-Cowherd-reports-Broncos-close-to-deal-with-Kirk-Cousins-114466121 

Lol. That article is so stupid. John Elway is out golfing right now ? plus the only way a tag/trade deal would happen before March 14th is if Cousins signs a (transition tag?) deal. He won’t do that. He hates the team now ? 

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

His legs? Alex ran for only 355 yards last season and that was his third highest of his career. In fact his best three finishes were in the last five seasons he’s played. He hasn’t always been this rushing QB your making him out to be and was just added to his game recently. 

He doesn't run much but scrambles alot. Instead of throwing the ball away he will scramble for 1-2 yards. Same result really as throwing it away just riskier from an injury standpoint.

I think if more ppl took the time to wade into the weeds they'd realize how we turned this Cousins affair around in the team's favor. No I don't like giving up a hometown future stud in Fuller. But big picture is QB. Cousins is gonna demand something in the neighborhood of 5yr/$140 mil. I was ok w/ him but didn't think his skills equated to those numbers. We signed Smith to an extension. Really only tied to him for two years. Enough time to draft this year and bring along a long term solution. If we thought Carr and Stafford opened up the market. Wait to see what happens when Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady reset the market. 

26 minutes ago, Bang said:

You can never have enough quality DBs, especially cornerbacks. Never.

I'm with others in saying i'd rather have given the 2nd and kept Fuller. I wouldn't even have to think twice about that.

~Bang

Or a 3rd rounder and Norman....I wonder if that was offered or if KC would have taken that? 

22 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

All of those guys with the exception of Cutler & McCown are IMO also better than Smith.   Smith could very well be the rule in that most players hit the wall in their mid 30's - instead of being one of the exceptional exceptions.   But even if there's no dip in his play or he gets slightly better I don't think I'd ever classify him as being "great".  You and I seem to be far enough on apart on that opinion to explain the 2nd comment you quoted.   

Yes it seems as if you believe that Alex Smith is trash when he’s not. If he was his market wouldn’t have been what it was.

Alex Smith is a pro bowl playoff QB who’s been there 4 out of the last 5 seasons. Also he’s younger then many other QBs playing now that no one is worried about those guys ages. Only that worry applies to Alex Smith which is nonsense. 

If your going to post things like we are going to be in QB hell in 1-2 years I’m going to ask for clarity. Not to argue but to understand why you think that? I’d like to know. When I see respected football minds saying the Redskins upgraded at QB and I see that comment I would like to understand why that is. If you won’t explain that’s cool no problem

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We dont need an aging Talib. Make Denver give us Harris and a 2nd lol...... 

3 minutes ago, #BgMase76# said:

I think if more ppl took the time to wade into the weeds they'd realize how we turned this Cousins affair around in the team's favor. No I don't like giving up a hometown future stud in Fuller. But big picture is QB. Cousins is gonna demand something in the neighborhood of 5yr/$140 mil. I was ok w/ him but didn't think his skills equated to those numbers. We signed Smith to an extension. Really only tied to him for two years. Enough time to draft this year and bring along a long term solution. If we thought Carr and Stafford opened up the market. Wait to see what happens when Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady reset the market. 

Agreed, I was thinking along these lines earlier today. We got a productive starting QB for below market value who is arguably just as good or better than KC. It will allow us to add in other places where we need help. 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lol. That article is so stupid. John Elway is out golfing right now ? plus the only way a tag/trade deal would happen before March 14th is if Cousins signs a (transition tag?) deal. He won’t do that. He hates the team now ? 

It's really not all that stupid. Talib is being actively shopped by the Broncos, they tried to put him into the Alex Smith offer - if they can't get rid of him then he costs them $1 mill of their already tight cap space in dead cap, and likely means they can't afford Cousins without getting rid of his contract. Getting Talib off the books puts them in a much better spot to pay Cousins, puts us in a much better spot because Talib and Norman is a nasty set of CBs and puts Cousins in a better spot if he actually wants to win because Denver can't even get a competitive offer together without doing this... if Kirk really wants to end up in Denver then this play makes a ton of sense for all parties.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well our deal with Chiefs is not official until March 14 as well. Broncos get permission to negotiate with Kirk early and if they seal the deal they give up Talib who would be a cap casualty anyway. Kirk could sign any 1 year deal with us between now and March 14 and sign his extension with broncos on same day once trade papers are filed after league year starts. Transition tag is not needed. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:12 AM, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

Whoever thinks Kirk walks is just stupid. Tag him in feb and put him on trade block with Jets Cards Jags Giants Browns Broncos interested and get two 1st round picks

2 hours ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

Transition tag cousins. Let the broncos work out the deal and match it. Then trade him to Broncos for a 2nd round pick.

2 hours ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

I just have greater football knowledge than you

54 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

The only way a trade would work is if Cousins, Redskins and Broncos all agreed to follow through before the transition tag is placed. This would probably be too complicated for the Broncos front office.

31 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

No the redskins will never trade a first round pick again. If somehow cousins could be traded he would be worth a 2nd rounder

7 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

The redskins will get a pick for cousins. A 3rd rounder in 2019.

Put down the Coors Light. 

8 minutes ago, Mahomes said:

He doesn't run much but scrambles alot. Instead of throwing the ball away he will scramble for 1-2 yards. Same result really as throwing it away just riskier from an injury standpoint.

You gotta be a Chief's fan or something. Because the irony of talking about a scrambling QB getting injured is not lost on us.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Yes it seems as if you believe that Alex Smith is trash when he’s not. If he was his market wouldn’t have been what it was.

Alex Smith is a pro bowl QB who’s been there 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Also he’s younger then many other QBs playing now that no one is worried about those guys ages. Only that worry applies to Alex Smith which is nonsense. 

If your going to post things like we are going to be in QB hell in 1-2 years I’m going to ask for clarity. Not to argue but to understand why you think that? I’d like to know. When I see respected football minds saying the Redskins upgraded at QB and I see that comment I would like to understand why that is. If you won’t explain that’s cool no problem

What I meant by that was - by not committing to a real rebuild you're looking at exactly what we had under Kirk.  I'm not worried so much about his age but his ceiling.  We've seen it I think.  He;'s a super conservative gun shy QB - captain checkdown.  And that was with one of the league's best deep threats. How's he gonna do with this group of WR nothing?   He doesn't  elevate anyone.

And so if we ride this out with him to 2 or 3 more 6-8 win seasons we're back where we started only now having given up a draft pick and a quality young starter to continue the same old same old.   Not smart. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Well our deal with Chiefs is not official until March 14 as well. Broncos get permission to negotiate with Kirk early and if they seal the deal they give up Talib who would be a cap casualty anyway. Kirk could sign any 1 year deal with us between now and March 14 and sign his extension with broncos on same day once trade papers are filed after league year starts. Transition tag is not needed. 

Well if a deal can get made then I’d be all for it. That would be pretty nice 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

I laugh when I read fans writing stuff like this ^^

It's so easy to say you are happy to go 3-13 when it's January. :)

When September and the regular season gets here, you will feel quite differently.  

No. I’d rather 3 and 13 over going 8 and 8 every year. Either way you miss the playoffs,  but at 3-13 you get a better draft pick which increases your chances of going 11-5. I’d rather go 11-5 over 8-8 and 3-13, but, that’s not where we are at.

14 minutes ago, #BgMase76# said:

I think if more ppl took the time to wade into the weeds they'd realize how we turned this Cousins affair around in the team's favor.

Well the Eagles head coach knows they did, I could never see him saying he hated playing against Kirk twice a year like this

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-doug-pederson-on-alex-smith-hate-that-we-have-to-play-him-twice-a-year/

Archived