Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

I found it interesting, but not really telling or meaningful, that at the Superbowl this weekend Kirk Cousins has told reporters that he is only doing paid interviews. I get that he doesn't want to be beseiged, but I also know (as a reporter who has done these things) a celebrity, politico, or athlete saying they aren't doing interviews won't stop the hordes from asking. In fact, the fun of those events, as a reporter, is getting the unexpected get and wrangling someone that knocks your producers socks off.

I remember getting John Kerry once this way. He was at a hockey game and I got him in a friendly ambush. People were floored that he gave me ten minutes to talk sports, charity, and even a few serious issues. This was back when he was pretty big time too.

Kirk only wanting to the paid interviews is kinda lousy of him. Kirk making it clear that he will only do a limited number of interviews is fine. After all, the small fish who gets picked up by the big boys gets a chance to be noticed. Anyway, as I said, it doesn't mean anything, but I thought it interesting.

32 minutes ago, bh32 said:

If Dan would of just fired Bruce than i believe Cousins would of signed a team friendly contract..Dan should have fired Bruce when he fired shanahan,such a damn fool and he will eventually pay the price for it as fans just walk away..

I believe it started when Snyder decided to pay a king's ransom for RG3, Shanahan didn't want that. Then Palpatine made RG3 a diva, and hell broke loose.

Kirk is Mike's pick, hence Palpatine hated him and refused to sign a 3 years 44 mil contract his agent was asking for. On top of that Bruce being his yes man, no way Palpatine would have struck any long term deal with Kirk imo. :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I believe it started when Snyder decided to pay a king's ransom for RG3, Shanahan didn't want that. Then Palpatine made RG3 a diva, and hell broke loose.

Kirk is Mike's pick, hence Palpatine hated him and refused to sign a 3 years 44 mil contract his agent was asking for. On top of that Bruce being his yes man, no way Palpatine would have struck any long term deal with Kirk imo. :ph34r:

So... what you're saying Emperor Snyder made RGIII into Darth Vader, but that Kirk was Grand Moff Tarkin?

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So... what you're saying Emperor Snyder made RGIII into Darth Vader, but that Kirk was Grand Moff Tarkin?

I limited my SW analogy to Palpatine, because Snyder was the source of all of today's problems. I thought at the time RG3 coming from a military family was a big plus, but emperor Palpatine and the darkside turned him into one of his minions. Anyways, you raised a good question, where Kirk would fit as a SW character ?

16 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I limited my SW analogy to Palpatine, because Snyder was the source of all of today's problems. I thought at the time RG3 coming from a military family was a big plus, but emperor Palpatine and the darkside turned him into one of his minions. Anyways, you raised a good question, where Kirk would fit as a SW character ?

Young Anakin

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

It makes it as good as you wanna see it. I am excited to see what Jay can do with Alex. Never was a Reid WCO fan, I think what many are overlooking is the simple comments Jay made about being frustrated with Kirk both in games and during practice in his conservative approach. No wonder teams stacked the box against us, Kirk was chicken **** to go down the field, how many open mid to deep guys did he miss? btw, Jay gets guys open or at the least one on one is good situations. I have criticized Jay as much as anyone, but has never been scheme wise, it has been game mgt. and questionable time of play calls, jeez, I wonder why? 

I am truly excited to see what Jay can do with any other QB that maybe tries to implement his game plan and **** it I'm going deep. 

Well, that's all we're left with. Trying to latch on to anything to stay excited about this freak show of dumb.  Seen it too many times. The endless cycle of bad decisions followed by appeasing the fan base with another bad decision that looks like they are trying.  I can't be a fan of another team, but I think it's college ball for me for the foreseeable future.  Allen fired and FO burnt down or Snyder selling the team I might have a trial reinvestment in fan hood.  

I really do do appreciate your fan hood. I've shared that with you for a long time. I just have nothing else to give to these buffoons.  Enjoy the cycle as it begins again. 

7 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Well, that's all we're left with. Trying to latch on to anything to stay excited about this freak show of dumb.  Seen it too many times. The endless cycle of bad decisions followed by appeasing the fan base with another bad decision that looks like they are trying.  I can't be a fan of another team, but I think it's college ball for me for the foreseeable future.  Allen fired and FO burnt down or Snyder selling the team I might have a trial reinvestment in fan hood.  

I really do do appreciate your fan hood. I've shared that with you for a long time. I just have nothing else to give to these buffoons.  Enjoy the cycle as it begins again. 

8 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I look at it this way: I have more faith heading into 2018 that we will win the opener and beat Dallas at least once with Gruden/Smith than with Gruden/KC. Going 0-4 in season openers with JG/KC is completely unacceptable and going 2-6 against Dallas is even more unacceptable. We can't make the playoffs if we don't win in our own division. Smith will help change this in my opinion. He is a much more confident QB than KC is and will be a better leader for this team.

49 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Greedo?

:silly:

Maybe Lando. Slick talking brilliant and successful station manager who from the beginning always planned to betray Han. Lando always said the right thing and was tried to right by Cloud City, but in the end, he was in it for Lando... Mind you, he did become a Rebel General and save the day in Return firing the most important shot since Luke shot down the original Death Star.

25 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I really felt like it was on Jay, but now I am wondering, and hoping Jay is right and his comments were telling. 

tumblr_mx9rcegTfE1qgf1i8o1_400.gif

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I look at it this way: I have more faith heading into 2018 that we will win the opener and beat Dallas at least once with Gruden/Smith than with Gruden/KC. Going 0-4 in season openers with JG/KC is completely unacceptable and going 2-6 against Dallas is even more unacceptable. We can't make the playoffs if we don't win in our own division. Smith will help change this in my opinion. He is a much more confident QB than KC is and will be a better leader for this team.

I agree we will win a few more games next year. We were a 10-11 win team last year without the freak injuries. But we are currently a worse team than we were a week ago.  Alex does not improve us.  Still we should win 2-3 more games.  That is not cause for excitement. It's the cycle beginning anew.

Going back to the deep ball issue I don't understand a lot of the criticism here.

The argument seems to be that when he had Hill he threw a lot of deep balls and when Hill was taken away he didn't.  That is like saying when it was raining he got wet but when it wasn't he didn't.  I don't get why it is so hard to understand that you throw the deep ball to the deep threat, Alex has played a lot of years without a deep threat and so focused on short and intermediate routes.

With our current roster he will throw fewer deep balls next year.  Our best receiving threats are Crowder, Reed and Thompson and none of them is stretching the field.  It's not an inability to go deep so much as a function of the offence and the surrounding cast and that applies to his years in San Francisco and the early days in Kansas.  If we add a player like DJax that can take the top off I am pretty certain Alex will target him when Jay dials up those plays but you cannot target a deep threat that does not exist.

8 hours ago, goskins10 said:

It's called sarcasm and yes I exaggerated - only because the entire notion that Jay is somehow happier with Alex Smith is ludicrous. This is your quote: 

"I would wager he's damn happy with Smith as his QB. No bull, I reckon he'd take Smith over Cousins."

As for Jay being "part of the decision" that could take many different meanings. For example the one I posed was basically Bruce was backed into a corner and basically told Jay he was letting Kirk walk. Despite my satire following, it was probably more like - we are moving on from Kirk, who would you like. Jay gave them an answer and they made it happen. 

What you are saying, or at least implying, is that Jay and Bruce's conversation included Jay saying he was tired of the drama let's just move on from Kirk I can win with someone else. I find that extremely hard to believe in any way shape of form - for exactly the same reasons I already stated. This was Bruce's mess, not Jay's. Any effort to pin this on Jay who has done nothing but support Kirk is a fools errand. There is just nothing to support it at all. 

Dont get so defensive over Jay, I'm not interested in where to pin any blame, I'm simply saying he's involved in the decision to move on sooner rather than later. 

And yes you do exaggerate again because the notion he'd take Smith over Cousins isn't anywhere near ludicrous. That bloke who plays QB in GB agrees.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Dont get so defensive over Jay, I'm not interested in where to pin any blame, I'm simply saying he's involved in the decision to move on sooner rather than later. 

And yes you do exaggerate again because the notion he'd take Smith over Cousins isn't anywhere near ludicrous. That bloke who plays QB in GB agrees.

I am not the one who is being defensive. You said something that was totally without merit. You did indeed blame Jay for this - you said exactly that his hands were all over this.  LOL  But now you want to walk that back.

And who are you talking about in GB? And WTF cares what they think? Does Aaron Rogers  (or whoever it is, not even sure what you are talking about. Rogers congratulated Smith, But said nothing about Jay Gruden preferring Smith over Cousins) know Jay personally and heard him say he likes Alex Smith more than Kirk Cousins? And let's just for a moment Rogers would waste his time to make such a statement - which is completely out of character as it would controversial as hell - just because someone else agrees with the ludicrous notion does not give it credence, especially another player no matter how great they are as a player. There is a reason great players rarely make great executives. Not to mention this player stands to make more money the more money Alex makes.  

Not continuing with this. I made mt point. You made an off the cuff statement you believe Jay  was partly to blame for not signing Kirk (Jay has his hands all over this) and actually prefers Smith over Cousins and got caught. With no exaggeration or hyperbole that is totally ludicrous - which is not the same as saying he does not like Smith - just to save you that additionally poor direction. 

If you Redskins fans watch this video you will see how Alex Smith blew our 2016 and 2017 playoff games. And how he blew the #1 seed during the regular season.

It's a long video but Smith's obvious failures are shown as the fourth and fifth segments.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

You made an off the cuff statement you believe Jay  was partly to blame for not signing Kirk (Jay has his hands all over this) and actually prefers Smith over Cousins and got caught.

I think it's pretty obvious that Jay prefers Alex to Kirk if for know other reason that Smith wants to be hear and was willing to sign a long term deal. If Cousins wanted to be hear and was willing to sign a long term deal... Jay might prefer Kirk, but as it was/is... Jay wants certainty enough that he likely signed off on the deal. The deal being made states a preference because once ya got one the other is gone.

If Jay wanted Kirk badly enough, it is possible that they would wait for him or transition him and hope to match the contract offer. As things stood, Jay preferred the bird in hand over the hand in the bush despite the familiarity of their working together, their relationship, and Jay's knowledge of Kirk.

1 hour ago, bobafett14 said:

If you Redskins fans watch this video you will see how Alex Smith blew our 2016 and 2017 playoff games. And how he blew the #1 seed during the regular season.

It's a long video but Smith's obvious failures are shown as the fourth and fifth segments.

I don't understand the point of these posts. Most of us acknowledge that Smith is a downgrade at QB and has big limitations.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't understand the point of these posts. Most of us acknowledge that Smith is a downgrade at QB and has big limitations.

They're making themselves feel better and trying to rationalize that they did the right thing in giving up a Probowl QB who consistently got them to the playoffs for an unknown with high potential.

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Jay prefers Alex to Kirk if for know other reason that Smith wants to be hear and was willing to sign a long term deal. If Cousins wanted to be hear and was willing to sign a long term deal... Jay might prefer Kirk, but as it was/is... Jay wants certainty enough that he likely signed off on the deal. The deal being made states a preference because once ya got one the other is gone.

Ok, even if I disagree with you, some times often :-), at least you tend to provide a logical path - unless of course this is sarcasm. But with all due respect this is all over the place. 

So exactly when has Jay gotten what he wanted with Kirk outside of Scot standing on a desk to let him start Kirk? Accepting the conclusion the organization is not going to bring Kirk back and doing what you can to make it work, is completely different than Jay preferring Alex over Kirk. I believe I highlighted how I believe that conversation went in a previous post. 

The question of his preference starts and stops with - all things being equal who would he prefer. Anyone that states Jay prefers Alex over Kirk is doing so to perpetuate a narrative not due to anything factual. 

And the statement below is truly baffling. What in all of this saga has led you to believe Jay has much say into the process?  That he has much of any say? He stated he has no idea what Kirk has to do to prove himself. He wants him signed long term. Again, being given your opinion is much different than believing it yourself. 

Of all the things I thought people agreed with and disagreed with, until now I was +99% (boarding on 100%) sure who followed this knew the Jay wanted Kirk back, badly, and that Bruce and probably Dan S, and possibly Doug Williams were the ones who were not sold. This decision was not made with very much input from Jay other than - we can't sign Kirk so who do you want. That is completely different than Jay saying, I like Alex better. I think I can win more games with him. 

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If Jay wanted Kirk badly enough, it is possible that they would wait for him or transition him and hope to match the contract offer. As things stood, Jay preferred the bird in hand over the hand in the bush despite the familiarity of their working together, their relationship, and Jay's knowledge of Kirk.

Sorry, but some of you are jumping the shark on this one to assign blame where it just does not belong. Jay does enough things on his own that deserve scrutiny, but this is all Dan and Bruce. Just not sure with the facts available, anyone can reasonably come to a different conclusion. 

I think I disagree. The preference starts with the art of the possible.

I think everyone: fans, coaches, front office, Kirk's agent and Kirk understood that in 2018 it was highly improbable to the point of impossible that Kirk would sign a long term deal with the Redskins. If that was understood then getting someone in for the long term even if he is a somewhat lesser player might well be viewed favorably.

The only way Kirk was coming was for a King's ransom. He would have signed a one year franchise tag. He would have signed a long term deal far in excess of that franchise figure. Other than that, he wasn't signing. For Jay and everyone else, that made him less attractive than Alex Smith who was willing to be here and sign an extension.

Kirk wasn't preferred to the extent that they would gamble they could woo him back. Jay preferred someone willing to sign a contract and was willing to be a long term part of this team's plans.

I lump Smith and Cousins in with 15 other guys that with a good scheme on game day can put good stats up. If the scheme fails after the 15 play script or the defense makes adjustments in the second half, each guy typically will struggle (True for most all the non elites, aside from those with legs to run from time to time). This is why I believe today’s NFL game has leaned more towards the talented OC/Coach who can consistently scheme it up. 

My only hope is Smiths wheels provide a little extra than what we’ve gotten from kirk. Won’t have a fair assessment until games are played next year though. 

Ho hum... 

**From an outside view, Jay seemed fine with letting Kirk go. Him signing an extension seemed to signal FO and coach being on same page. Just my two cents. 

Archived