Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Hopefully, that's Rodriguez last start. Stras should be back after the break. Hopefully, Sevy was the problem and Gio gets back on track. Hopefully, we get another starter. Hopefully we get hot in the 2nd half. Hopefully...

I'm already thinking about next year...

We'd have to go 45-27 to hit 90 wins. It's possible, but:

1. Harper needs to start hitting, consistently

2. Turner needs to start hitting, consistently

3. Murphy needs to prove he's healthy

4. Eaton needs to prove he's healthy

5. Strasburg needs to come back like he did last year off the DL

6. Max needs to stop giving up homers

7. Gio and Roark need to get their heads out of their asses. I'm more hopeful for a Gio rebound than Tanner. I think Tanner is on the downslide.

8. Probably need another starter and catcher.

9. Madson needs to be better than the 5.45 ERA he is sporting

10. Zimm needs to come back healthy and hitting.

Any others?

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I still think this team has one big hot streak in it. The problem is, it might not be enough.

At this point, I'd be fine with finishing within 5 games of 1st place, whether or not that gets the Nats into the playoffs. 

Unless something dramatic happens - I mean like 1951 New York Giants dramatic - this team ain't winning a pennant. Beating up on the Marlins and O's doesn't mean you're a contender, especially if you get smacked around by actual contenders like the Braves and Red Sox.

Annnnnd the Phillies and Braves are tied for the division lead. Sweet. 

Boy, it would have been awesome if the Nats actually cashed in on one of those free-and-clear division championships while everyone else sucked. Real shame that window's closed and the Nats actually have to earn it now (though I'm kinda surprised they're only 4-6 against both Philadelphia and Atlanta thus far - thought it was way worse). 

The Washington Nationals placed all-star closer Sean Doolittle on the 10-day disabled list with left toe inflammation and optioned right-hander Jefry Rodriguez to Class AAA Syracuse on Tuesday. Right-handers Austin Voth and Wander Suero were both recalled from Syracuse to take their places on the roster.

Doolittle, 31, underwent an MRI exam on his foot Saturday after tripping over a mound. The test didn’t reveal any structural damage, but Doolittle hasn’t pitched since and the discomfort was evidently enough for the Nationals to believe he needs time for it to heal. Doolittle made his second all-star team on Sunday after pitching to a 1.45 ERA and compiling 22 saves in 35 games this season.

On one hand - if you're gonna put your star closer on the DL to  rest up, I suppose it's up against the All-Star Break - give him some extra time to recover.

On the other hand - I suppose this means he won't be able to pitch at the All-Star Game itself. No "DOOOOOOOs" from the hometown crowd. 

U don't need to win 90 games, u just need to win more than the braves and phillies.  I'm sorry but i'm not convinced that the braves and phillies can keep it up over 162 games.  The Nats are 5 games back despite no one playing well all year.  harper will go on a tear. 

33 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Seems like Bryce is 5-5 with 2 HRs with the no stride, toe tap 'Daniel Murphy approach'. 

But yea let's continue with the full body movement approach that constantly gets thrown out of whack.

I've always thought that that approach had way too many moving parts

Archived