Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

i think we are seeing the changes in baseball in general.  you really need to be a pure hitter now and attack all places of the field.  You can see which players in the league are having more successes against the shift on our team? eaton, murphy, adam, rendon,  soto. They attack all places on the field with their hits.  Turner, harper are not really spray hitters.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Luck might explain a little bit of a drop off in average, but when you're hitting sub .220, you're straight up stinking up the joint. He's swinging at bad balls and chasing because the team is struggling and he's putting the onus on himself to put up #s and carry the team. We've seen him do that before.

If he's hitting .427 on hard hit balls, that's 90 points higher. That's over .300 avg...

42 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

2018 in a nutshell.

Setup for a big inning. Scratch and claw to score 1...

Happens over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Flail like little leaguers against a 6.75 ERA scrub. Holy **** this team sucks.

even when we get good efforts from our starters, our offense can never provide any relief.  i dont really blame the pitching this year.  We burned them early and then keep expecting them to pitch games where they only give up 2-3.  They are asking to pitch perfect almost every game lately. 

15 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

even when we get good efforts from our starters, our offense can never provide any relief.  i dont really blame the pitching this year.  We burned them early and then keep expecting them to pitch games where they only give up 2-3.  They are asking to pitch perfect almost every game lately. 

Roark and Gio have been **** lately, and Rodriguez isn't ready, Fedde is a reliever. Losing Stras and Hellickson at the same time as Gio and Roark's implosion was killer. The offense has been **** all year. A nexus of horrible baseball.

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

48-48

5.5 back

far from impossible, but this needs to be a different team, especially mentally, in the 2nd half.

Pretty much where I am.

As much as it sickens me to do, I have to give props to the Braves and Phillies for being way ahead of schedule for their respective rebuilds. Nats, on the other hand, are looking mighty suspect. The decisive win today gave me some hope but they're gonna have to play like that consistently (especially against wretched teams like the LOLMets) if they're gonna be back in the pennant race discussion. 

5.5 is nothing with Stras coming back on Friday and the braves losing like 10 out of 12.  There is one thing that people are not factoring into this equation and i think it plays a major role.  I'm not saying it will happen but if the Phillies and Braves see the Nats make a charge and this lead gets to 2-3, they will start playing tighter and feel the pressure.  

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

5.5 is nothing with Stras coming back on Friday and the braves losing like 10 out of 12.  There is one thing that people are not factoring into this equation and i think it plays a major role.  I'm not saying it will happen but if the Phillies and Braves see the Nats make a charge and this lead gets to 2-3, they will start playing tighter and feel the pressure.  

I hope so. Boy, I really hope so. We're also gonna have to find a way to actually hit with RISP. I damn near rage-crashed my car the other day when Harper hit into that double play.

I dunno - if this team beat up on the teams they had down the stretch, I'd be feeling much, much better but I'm still skeptical on these Nats. 

Though how about the Buccos sweeping the Brewers to finish up the front end of the season? Maybe they've got a late-season resurgence in them?

I keep thinking about the Cubs last year. They were 43-45 at the Break last year--very similar to how were doing: inability to drive in runs, bad starting pitching, questionable bullpen. They got healthy and got hot. Maybe we can do the same. Maybe. They need to get their head out of their asses with RISP. This 1st & 2nd no outs, then failing to even get the ball out of the infield crap has to stop. 

Leading up to the break, they lost series to Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, and Tampa. Sound familiar?

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I keep thinking about the Cubs last year. They were 43-45 at the Break last year--very similar to how were doing: inability to drive in runs, bad starting pitching, questionable bullpen. They got healthy and got hot. Maybe we can do the same. Maybe. They need to get their head out of their asses with RISP. This 1st & 2nd no outs, then failing to even get the ball out of the infield crap has to stop. 

Leading up to the break, they lost series to Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, and Tampa. Sound familiar?

We can only hope. 

But thank you for reminding us of the Cubs - I forgot how listless they were out of the gate last year. 

1 minute ago, thebluefood said:

We can only hope.

I know. I think we can use the break.

However, I would be in no way shocked if we got our ass kicked coming out of the break by Milwaukee and Atlanta. Like 1-5 level asskicking where we going .050 with RISP.

Just now, StillUnknown said:

gotta get a credible starter, the sooner the better

not sure how big they should aim, but when a resurgent Jeremy Hellickson is your 3rd best pitcher, we got problems

Gio looked better with Wieters. Roark is the one I am very worried about. Max needs to start striking people out again. Stras needs to be post-DL Stras.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Gio looked better with Wieters. Roark is the one I am very worried about. Max needs to start striking people out again. Stras needs to be post-DL Stras.

Roark will have about 10 days between starts.  That arm shouldn't be dead anymore.  

50 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I was really excited about the home run derby, until I saw it was on ESPN. I look forward to Jessica Mendoza talking about hitting a major league home run.

The problem is  Chris Berman dong his tired, idiotic, "Back, Back, Back" schtick.  That was old 15 years ago.

Archived