Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Just now, skinfan2k said:

this is depressing. I would categorize this season worse than 13 or 15. 

i can accept that we have been injured more than what can be considered normal

i can't accept the level of stupidity we seem to show on almost a nightly basis

39 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Do you think Harper would agree to be traded for tons of prospects and then resign here in the offseason?  Didnt the Yanks do that with Chapman

Harper doesn't have to agree to be traded.   And I don't think trading him is going to have any bearing on who he signs with.  He probably goes for the highest offer. 

Also the Nats aren't getting anywhere near the Chapman deal.  Harper is a great player and will probably rebound but he isn't having his best year and for a 4 month rental thats all that counts. 

Really glad I have a foundation built on bad baseball - first with my dad watching those awful Senators teams and then seeing the Nats in those lean years after they moved down from Montreal. Glad I have that foundation or else this would be unbearable. 

This is Washington baseball right here. Welcome back home. 

I'm not giving up on Martinez just yet but I do think after losing Werth that there appears to be a lack of leadership/accountability in the clubhouse. Harper isn't a leader. I don't think Scherzer is a guy who gets in other peoples faces either(he seems to be more self motivated, which I think is the case for Pitchers in general). Guys like Murphy and Zimmerman are too low key.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not giving up on Martinez just yet but I do think after losing Werth that there appears to be a lack of leadership/accountability in the clubhouse. Harper isn't a leader. I don't think Scherzer is a guy who gets in other peoples faces either(he seems to be more self motivated, which I think is the case for Pitchers in general). Guys like Murphy and Zimmerman are too low key.

Agree with this. Also tough for Harper to grow into that role in his walk year. Rendon seems pretty laid back too. Bit of a veteran leadership void, though I also think the “get in guys faces” clubhouse leadership factor is way overrated. 

Martinez is still getting his feet under him as a manager. I don’t think he’s made any egregiously bad in-game decisions, but you can’t underestimate the impact of changing all your coaches and how the team has to get used to new styles. New pitching coach, new hitting coach, going from a manager with 40 years experience to 0.

It was utter negligence on the part of ownership to have Dusty’s contract expire the year before Harper’s. Utter negligence not to bring him back after last year. Utter negligence to fail to present a suitable contract to Bud Black. We shouldn’t be in this situation. And that is ****ing infuriating. 

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Bit of a veteran leadership void, though I also think the “get in guys faces” clubhouse leadership factor is way overrated. 

We had pretty much the same veteran leadership in '12, '14, '16, and '17 as we did in '13 and '15. What doomed us in '15 was declining skills from key players (Desmond, Zimmermann) injuries and under-performance from others (Rendon, Zimmerman, Span, and Werth). We are experiencing the same decline from Gio, Roark, and Murphy. Murphy is more injury than eroding skills, I think. We are still steeped in injuries with Stras, Zimmerman, and Wieters. Say what you want about Zimm and Wieters, they're better than Reynolds and Severino/Kieboom. We're just getting Adams back, so that will help. Kendrick's injury was brutal.

Matt Williams was also a major factor in the teams 2015 performance--there is no indication Davey is Matt Williams.

33 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

going from a manager with 40 years experience to 0.

The Yankees are one of the best teams in baseball under a guy who was in ESPN's ridiculous booth last year.

Alex Cora's team is currently beating our brains out, 1st year manager.

The Dodgers went to the NLCS under Roberts' 1st year as manager.

19 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Nah if they trade Bryce they’re throwing in the towel. Which by 7/31 they’ll probably be in a situation where they should. 

I don't agree. You can always trade him to fill other holes you might have, guys who can maybe help you down the stretch. 

The point is, removing him from your lineup right now doesn't drastically change what your offense can do. In my opinion, it's almost just as likely that the Nats would bust out of this slump with or without him. If you can add more pieces around Soto, Rendon, etc., you should. 

Very few teams have an opportunity to trade off their biggest trade chip without bottoming out. 

Archived