Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Went to the game yesterday with my pop - a few observations:

-Tickets were pricer than usual (cheapest I could get were $50/pop) - not sure how much of it was the holiday and how much of it was the influx of Sawks fan

-Along those lines, My God were there a lot of Sawks fan - I dunno how many of them were transplants or how many came from out of town but they just swarmed the park. It was like the game was at a neutral site. Thankfully, our folks drowned out theirs when they tried to get a "let's go Red Sox" chant going - was probably the only victory of the day

As far as the game itself is concerned:

-It wasn't all bad from the Nationals. Six hits is nothing to sneeze at and they could have had more were it not for excellent fielding by Boston. Matt Grace had four excellent innings after Fedde got hurt - we might have to put him in the starting rotation at this point. We made some good plays out in the field (I think it was MAT who ran down a fly ball at the warning track midway through the game) - just wasn't enough. 

-Nats also got some bad breaks at the plate - especially when Soto came up to pinch hit in the 8th. He got great contact on the ball but the Sox played it perfectly and had their 2nd baseman play deep. There was another well hit ball that went right to their 3rd Baseman, Devers (can't remember who hit it) that could have been a double but it wasn't to be.

-Biggest takeaway: there's an old saying by a professional bowler my father admired, Billy Welu: "trust is a must or your game is a bust." I wonder if that's applicable here. Maybe that's why the Nats can't seem to play small ball and they're consistently trying to swing for the fences? Do they not trust their teammates to bring them home? Do they not trust themselves to bring their teammates home? Do they not trust themselves to build rallies by hitting singles & doubles? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly but I just wonder if the Nats don't trust themselves and each other to do what they have to do score runs and win games. 

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

you raised her to be Nats fan, disappointment is just par for the course

A while back, we were listening to the game on the radio and they were taking Max out after another brilliant performance (I forget the game). But she lost it! She started bawling "They're taking my buddy out of the game! He's never going to play again! Why are they doing that, daddy!!" 

My job as a father is complete.

Matt Wieters was my mortal enemy...until we had to play Pedro Severino every day.

3 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Kevin Long should have been gone weeeeeeeeeks ago....

Bout to just post a Ray Charles song and be done with this season for good...

Go Redsk...ugh

Go Wiza...whatever

We are getting double the misery for the Caps cup win.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We are getting double the misery for the Caps cup win.

No one gave a damn because the Caps long postseason run. This team was too focused on watching caps games and not focused on their own profession.  

7 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Kevin Long should have been gone weeeeeeeeeks ago....

Bout to just post a Ray Charles song and be done with this season for good...

Go Redsk...ugh

Go Wiza...whatever

i don't know which is better (or worse), but both sum up the feelings right now

Archived