Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

6 hours ago, bearrock said:

I wonder what lessons both sides will take from this?  Seems to me that if Dems run blue dog democrats in traditional GOP seats, they are competitive even in deep Trump country.  Dems may not get a completely liberal House, but you'll get colleagues you can work with, a huge improvement from bat crazy people who have held the reasonable members of GOP hostage.  I doubt a traditional liberal dem has a chance in PA18.

tbh, I prefer that kind of Democrat (more of the centrist variety) than the Bernie Sanders faction of the party. 

Democrats have been the centrist party for years. At least since Bill Clinton. While the Republican party has moved further and further to the right the Democrats have not made a parallel move to the left. Yes, there is a fringe Bernie wing, but it's a small voice unlike the Trump wing which is the heart and soul of the modern Republican movement. 

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Oh yes. Dems need to match the candidate to the CD and scrap the bull**** “purity tests.”

Yes and No.  While there should bean examination of what plays well, it should be noted Lamb didn't win with the usual voters so much as he fired up the Pittsburgh suburbs.  So certainly, in some truly rural districts you might have to run a true blue dog, but in mixed districts, you can lean on the suburbs a fair amount.

Definitely ditch the purity tests but probably the best path is to have multiple candidates in primaries.  Let the one with the best ideas win out.  Candidates will find what works if they face adversity.

This is what made Dean so successful, he ran people.  Put bodies in races, and maybe you only pick off 1/10 but out of 100 races suddenly that's a huge swing.  Do that in a wave year and the pickups will be massive.  DNC candidate outreach has really left something to be desired in many cycles.

Also, why the hell don't they have a DNC attorney there for the ballot counting.

9 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Yes and No.  While there should bean examination of what plays well, it should be noted Lamb didn't win with the usual voters so much as he fired up the Pittsburgh suburbs.  So certainly, in some truly rural districts you might have to run a true blue dog, but in mixed districts, you can lean on the suburbs a fair amount.

Definitely ditch the purity tests but probably the best path is to have multiple candidates in primaries.  Let the one with the best ideas win out.  Candidates will find what works if they face adversity.

This is what made Dean so successful, he ran people.  Put bodies in races, and maybe you only pick off 1/10 but out of 100 races suddenly that's a huge swing.  Do that in a wave year and the pickups will be massive.  DNC candidate outreach has really left something to be desired in many cycles.

Also, why the hell don't they have a DNC attorney there for the ballot counting.

Here's the way I see it, the Rs are the party of the purity test, they always get everyone goosestepping in time and present a united front whenever they need it. The Ds are by their very nature messy, loud, argumentative and sniping at each other because they are supposed to be! They are the party that is supposed to represent all the divergent elements in society and it shouldn't come as any great surprise when California urban issues clash with Midwest sensibilities, etc. Fine, you talk it out and prioritize what is important, that IMO is politics. The institutional Dems have looked longingly at that goosestepping parade for years and wanted some o'that for their own ends, donor-wise. issue-wise, candidate-wise, and in their efforts to emulate that Republican-lite structure they have alienated vast swaths of what used to be solidly blue voters.

I want that tumultuous southern progressive vs West Coast techies vs New England moderate vs Midwest centrist vs enlightened religious vs .....well, any and all of the above and more.

Will Rogers:

"I'm not a member of any organized political party.... I'm a Democrat."

"Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they'd be Republicans."

There's truth in that.

Now, just for me and strictly for me, there are going to be two choices. The Dems can return to the truth underlying their very existence, they are meant to be the inclusive party of all those not willing to be ground into sausage meat in the Republican Donderbeck, or they can continue stumbling their way to extinction and abdicate their responsibilities by trying to massage the message into control. The odds of open bloody warfare on the streets of America is still low, I'd put it in the single digits but it has ticked up and anyone that wants to tell themselves that it is impossible, that it simply cannot happen here is either criminally naive or delusional. Those AR15s are gonna be the least of anyones problems.

The new GOP spin is quite funny.

Connor Lamb is now a gun loving Marine.

Two days ago he was a Pelosi Democrat who was going to bring in a horde of illegal immigrants who were going to rape everyone at the town square.

A pro-ACA, pro-union, pro-welfare and anti-GOP tax scam liberal just won in a +20 R district. 

Just a few months ago a liberal, pro-abortion Democrat won in Alabama. 

Gonna be a while to get the final final tally, since overseas ballots postmarked yesterday will still be counted, but barring several major errors, there just aren't enough votes left for Saccone to overcome Lamb.  Barring some major undiscovered error(s), its over.  Lamb wins.

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Hardly surprising.  

Even if they don't win, they can try to prevent the winner from taking the seat.  

I bet they’ve already mailed Moscow an angry letter of complaint for not cheating vigorously enough. 

Archived