Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Holy crap.

Top 10 worst press releases ever.

Y'all just nominated a ****mothering LITERAL Nazi, NRCC.

Like what is he trying to say?  Party unity, even behind a Nazi, is more important than having competition of ideas in primaries?  Because that's about the worst message you could put out, and even if that's not the intended message, that's what it darn well looks like.

a short but good read :)

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/03/21/score-one-for-the-smoke-filled-room-why-conor-lambs-victory-was-a-win-for-party-politicians/?utm_campaign=Brookings Brief&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=61540451

Score one for the smoke-filled room: Why Conor Lamb’s victory was a win for party politicians

Jonathan RauchWednesday, March 21, 2018

The upset victory of Democrat Conor Lamb in a special election last week, for a seat in a Pennsylvania district that President Trump won by a whopping 20 points, has Democrats crowing, and understandably so. But amid the celebrating, no one seems to be complaining, or even noticing, that Lamb did not owe his nomination to the voters. Rather, he was chosen to run by 554 local Democratic Party grandees.

“Two things are striking,” writes Brookings’s E.J. Dionne in The Washington Post. “In the end, Lamb won the backing of all wings of his party; and he was picked by a party committee, not in a primary. The question is whether primaries will allow Lamb-like nominees to emerge in districts where profiles such as his offer Democrats their best chance of snatching seats.”

It is indeed a good question, and important for reasons that go beyond Democrats’ short-term electoral outlook prospects. Here at Brookings, my colleague Elaine Kamarck, as well as political scientist Raymond La Raja and I, argue for a stronger and earlier (though not exclusive) party role in candidate selection. The Pennsylvania special election offers a reminder of why.

<more at link>

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The organized crime syndicate known as the Republican Party is at it again.

Wisconsin GOP will tinker with election laws rather than follow court order

Wow.  If I lived in one of those two districts I would straight up refuse to pay my state taxes.  Like they are literally robbing people of representation, just straight up, AFTER a court told them to run elections.  This is next level dickishness.

And if I was the judge who issued that order, I would straight up hold Walker in contempt and order him arrested.  This **** is unacceptable.  Walker can be governor from jail.  Tell his GOP companions that if they pass that law, then Walker will spend the rest of his term in jail.

Update from the Wisconsin story

Judge orders Gov. Scott Walker to hold special elections for open legislative seats

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) ripped the judge as an "activist Dane County judge" who had injected her "own personal opinion into how we conduct elections."  He said he wasn't aware Walker had appointed the judge but said her approach was endemic to judges in liberal Madison.   "It’s something about the water in Dane County," Vos said. "That’s why I try to stay here as little as I can."

Archived